Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Are there any French division Commanders available?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Signing up for a French divisional command, if available.

Look how happy this guy is at the thought of going into battle! :unsmith:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Comrade Koba posted:

He's waving goodbye to ma :3:

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.

Pvt.Scott posted:

The town in the middle by the three large farms should be called Clustér d'Fuch

This. And a couple before bed with Franglais.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

So how are units handled during the transition from one year to the next? I'm assuming that even if one side or the other gets clobbered in one round there will be some evening up of the sides over the interim as units are shuffled off the line, refits and reinforcements are brought in, etc. Curious as to what the cost/benefit will be for trying one last push vs conserving forces.

I've sat in the audience for a number of GH LPs, but may as well throw my hat in this time as a divisional commander for the Allies and stick it to the Boche.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Signing up to be a British commander, I'm pretty inept at games like this and generally show little regard for the lives of my men so I think it should be historically accurate.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Put my name on the spreadsheet for an Allied Divisional Command. No preference for Brit/French, though if you happen to have a Belgian division far from home, that might be fun.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I'll sign up to defend the Fatherland from those bloodthirsty Frenchmen and Perfidious Albion. :hitler:

Lower-level German unit please.

Comrade Koba posted:

Wouldn't you be happy with a moustache like that?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Slaan posted:

I'll sign up to defend the Fatherland from those bloodthirsty Frenchmen and Perfidious Albion. :hitler:

Lower-level German unit please.

Mukaikubo posted:

Put my name on the spreadsheet for an Allied Divisional Command. No preference for Brit/French, though if you happen to have a Belgian division far from home, that might be fun.

Guys, you can enter your names and positions on your own :ssh:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Bxkdvy-7MzMaAuqOhfij6tCGk-p_0O5OxOLLh1iexGY/edit#gid=0

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Yes, I know, I already had. So I posted that I "put my name on..." :v:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mukaikubo posted:

Yes, I know, I already had. So I posted that I "put my name on..." :v:

I hate irregular verbs :negative:

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Trin Tragula posted:

Enjoying all of these. Have a few suggestions of my own.

I support any naming scheme as long as at least one of the towns is called "coubarbe".

Generation Internet posted:

Please, share them here! This is a gentleman's war, after all :)

A lady never asks, and a gentleman never tells!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

There is no spreadsheet linked in the OP. :colbert:

If this is the kind of communication that we can look forward to, then: :getin:

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Smarter than the average Blair.

Slaan posted:

There is no spreadsheet linked in the OP. :colbert:

Grey Hunter posted:

Right, thats a long enough OP, next up, I’ll post a turn example to give people a better idea. for now, please head to this spreadsheet to to register your interest. remember this will be a long term prospect, but I will be willing to let people in after each battle phase, as knowledge of what just happened shouldn’t be too much of a problem.

Slaan posted:

If this is the kind of communication that we can look forward to, then: :getin:

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
I'm all signed up for Divisional Command on the allies side!

Come on boys! Let's take that hill and we'll be home by Christmas!*

Which Christmas will depend on how good we are at fighting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkAovJAzq0k

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Can't sleep, had nothing else to do, apparently can still make bad puns though

Hopefully one or two of them aren't too obscure

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I vote one of the ridges be named Secura Ridge. Perhaps the smaller ridge/hill north of La Fourmillere

I forget if French would make it Ridge Secura so I won't Frenchinate it.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
Hang on, are we sure that one of those towns isn't Tokyo Bay forteresse navale?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Trin Tragula posted:

Can't sleep, had nothing else to do, apparently can still make bad puns though

Hopefully one or two of them aren't too obscure

My only request is to rename one of the forests as Forêt des Coubarbes.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
There has to be a Tokyo Bay forteresse navale and a Entiwok hill dosn't there?

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Comstar posted:

There has to be a Tokyo Bay forteresse navale and a Entiwok hill dosn't there?

The Tokyo Bay Fortress is on the map, we just don't know where :tinfoil:

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
I would like to second a vote for Cluster d'Fuch as mentioned above.

Also, "Ratatouille" is always funny.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
So I'll give naming chat a little longer, but to show I've not been idle.

This is one French Division, 1914 roster. Two of these make a Corps.

Here they are on the map.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Why not just call it "Decorum Ouest"? It's punny and less confusing than having two of 'em.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Grey, you fantastic bastard.

Signed-up for a German Divisional Command, because of course my Combat Mission alter-ego would have a dad that served under Bacarruda in the Great War.

drat right he did. And we'll gloriously crush the Russians French!

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Grey Hunter posted:

This is one French Division, 1914 roster. Two of these make a Corps.

Here they are on the map.

So are things like Corps sizes dictated by the rules of the game, or modeled after actual armies in WWI? I ask because I've gleamed from my research that divisions were always being meddled with by higher-commands, especially when manpower started to run dry. The Canadian Corps, for example, was always comprised of the 4 Canadian Divisions in France. The British wanted to reduce the size of the divisions and split the force into two Corps to form an Army, but the commanding officer Sir Arthur Currie was adamant that the Canadians should keep fighting as a unified force and that the Divisions not be watered down, with the result being that the Canadian Corps was an unusually large and effective unit for a Corps size formation.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Grey Hunter posted:

That's, how many guys? How many frogs per square?

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
From the opening post, the X tokens are 200-man companies. So, in the vicinity of ten thousand doomed frenchmen.

Ceebees fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 8, 2015

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Ballpark: Each square is a company of ~250 men. Each row of companies is a battalion of ~1000 men, each group of battalions is a brigade of ~3000 men, and the group of brigades forms a division of ~10,000

It really depends on individual formations and nations, though, as everyone did things slightly differently and units were rarely the same strength in practice as they were on paper.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Generation Internet posted:

Ballpark: Each square is a company of ~250 men. Each row of companies is a battalion of ~1000 men, each group of battalions is a brigade of ~3000 men, and the group of brigades forms a division of ~10,000

It really depends on individual formations and nations, though, as everyone did things slightly differently and units were rarely the same strength in practice as they were on paper.

See also: my guys after the first assault, who will have approx. 2 men left per company

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

V. Illych L. posted:

See also: my guys after the first assault, who will have approx. 2 men left per company

We don't need to be cyncial, I am sure that there will be at least six men per company.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
German Thread

Allied Thread

If you are playing, please go to your respective thread. This thread is now off limits to both sides and will act as the peanut gallery. Please refrain from posting any sensitive data for the first few posts while people catch up.

Good luck to both sides.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Before I withdraw, now that Grey has accepted the names, here's an annotated gazetteer for anyone who's struggling to work out the jokes. Roughly from the top left corner:

Foret des Coubarbes - A "foret" is a French forest, and a "coubarbe" is a neckbeard.
Hill 69 - Many battlefield features had no local name and were referred to on military maps by their height in metres. You're on Something Awful, you know what 69 means.
L'Usine de Papillion - "Butterfly mill" or "butterfly factory"
River Sombre - The Somme was a very sombre place; there's also a river elsewhere in France called the Sambre.
Bridges over the Sombre - These are all characters from the seminal Stanley Kubrick film "Paths of Glory"; Colonel Dax, General Mireau, General Broulard and Lieutenant Roget (which then becomes "Thesaurus" after Roget's Thesarus).

Ile de Huit - One name in English for a small island in the middle of a river is "eyot" or "ait" pronounced "eight"; "huit" is "eight" in French.
Chemin des Putains - there was a famous ridge with an important road on top of it called the Chemin des Dames, or "ladies' path"; "putain" is French for "bitch" or "whore".
Butte de Fesse - "Fesse" means "buttock"; so it's the Butt Cheek.
Farms - Most of these are Blackadder Goes Forth characters: Addernoire, Georges, Melchett, Flash[heart]. "Salopard" apparently means "sod off", which is Baldrick's first name, and "Cheri" is French for "Darling". "Godemiche" is "dildo" (it looks like one), and there were a million Dead Cow Farms on the Western Front, after their most common inhabitant.
Towns - The three I named are all in homage to Tommies' charming manglings of unpronounceable foreign place-names. Fonquevilliers became "Funky Villas", so on this map we have "Froussard..." which I'm pretty sure is French for "Funky". "Mangepommes" is "Eat apples", from "Etaples"; and "Glacessui" is a mangling of "windscreen wipers", from Ypres. "Grappe des Foutres" is "Cluster des Fucks". "Dulce et decorum est" is a Wilfred Owen war poem which you should read now if you haven't. "Auberge du Beagle Volant" is the shed of the flying dog, in honour of the most glorious Sopwith Camel ace of them all.

River Paisne - The Chemin des Dames overlooked the River Aisne.
Bridges over the Paisne - These are named after filmmakers who made WWI films; Kubrick, Georg Wilhelm Pabst (Westfront 1918), and then the leftmost bridge I had after Abel Ganst (J'accuse).
Rue de Gloire - Road of Glory. Or, indeed, Path of Glory. It goes over La Fourmiliere, The Anthill, the location where Colonel Dax is ordered to make a suicidal attack.
Forets de Boronne and Kryptonne - The Argonne Forest saw some of the most brutal close-range fighting. Boron and krypton are, like argon, noble gases.
Norman Angell Lane - Norman Angell wrote a book about how bloody stupid it would be for Europe to go to war.
Crapouillot Ridge - A crapouillot is a little toad, and was adopted as a nickname first by the French infantry (since, like toads, they spent most of their time squatting in muddy pools of water) and then to refer to their most widely-distributed trench mortar (which was green and looks surprisingly like a toad once you've drunk enough cheap red wine).

Bois de Coeur - Wood of Heart. It looks like one.
Bois de Jeu - There was a wood at the Somme called Trones Wood. Google Translate tells me "Trones" means "thrones". A "jeu" is a game.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Have there been any reassignments to keep the numbers even, or am I still with the Allies?

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar
oh man... I'm torn between wanting to play or just :munch: and watch the hilarity ensue.

who am I kidding I like watching trainwrecks :D

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Trin Tragula posted:

L'Usine de Papillion - "Butterfly mill" or "butterfly factory"

Norman Angell Lane - Norman Angell wrote a book about how bloody stupid it would be for Europe to go to war.

Just to add even more explanation:

The 'butterfly factory' is a reference to the movie All Quiet on the Western Front, and to run the joke to ground, the idea is that the French were intentionally producing butterflies to distract young German soldiers.

'Lane' was Norman Angell's last name, which he dropped in public life. His full original name was Ralph Norman Angell Lane.

Also, the other joke about the Owen reference is that in French, Decorum-Est would be "East Decorum" (hence the discussion of where Decorum-Ouest (West Decorum) might be).

Kangra fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 8, 2015

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
Added myself for divisional command, any nation will be do.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
If there's room, I wouldn't mind getting in on this!

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I've added myself for German corps command since they seemed to have the biggest shortage.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
Added myself as a German Divisional Commander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I'll stick to the French, then.

• Locked thread