Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
General der Infanterie Heniz Bacarruda reporting for duty!

I will commanding one of the German Corps. I expect to be in Paris by Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Why not just call it "Decorum Ouest"? It's punny and less confusing than having two of 'em.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Grey, you fantastic bastard.

Signed-up for a German Divisional Command, because of course my Combat Mission alter-ego would have a dad that served under Bacarruda in the Great War.

drat right he did. And we'll gloriously crush the Russians French!

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Thanks Grey for running this!

Had a hell of a time, as always.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

I'm not sure if a team of ten people would need like twenty loudmouthed know-it-alls staff officers, though.

It's historically-accurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiOJ07nyfM4

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 6, 2015

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

tatankatonk posted:

Ok, I counted and compared the Before and After for the Germans, I'll do the French later. I don't know exactly how many men are in each stand. The standard is 200 men to each company counter, I think, but obviously that changes with artillery, machine guns, etc. All the calculations are just assuming 200 men per counter, so someone with a more in-depth knowledge of WW1 unit composition than I have should take a crack at it sometime.

The Germans, organized in 5 Korps, had a total of:

40 Squadrons of Cavalry - 8,000 men
180 Batteries of Artillery - 36,000 men
585 Stands of Infantry, including Infantry, Machine Guns, Engineers, and Regimental/Division/Korps command - 117,000 men

they ended the battle with:

9 Squadrons of Cavalry - 1,800 men
126 Batteries of Artillery - 25,200 men
247 Stands of Infantry, including etc. - 49,400 men

So a starting total of 161,000 men (with a reinforcing Korps), and a finishing total of 76,400 men leaves them with a loss of 84,600 men in one day and night of fighting, assuming 200 men per stand.

That also accounts for units that routed. Actual casualty numbers were drat high, but not that high.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Grey Hunter posted:

Total casualties (not including routed) -
Allies - 54,000 men (11,400 British, 42,600 French)
Germany - 64,200

Given a historical 1 in 5 dead, that's 10,800 (2,280/8,520) Allies dead to 12,840 Germans.

So yes, a very bloody day, but these things always have more troops than would historically be in an area.

That's actually not as bad as I feared it would be. We gave the Allies a much tougher beating that I thought we would.

e: out of curiosity, what regiments made up the BEF in this battle? Were we fighting Grenadier Guardsmen? Sherwood Foresters?

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

FNG! Everybody gets to be a character in The Things They Carried!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Comrade Koba posted:

I'd just like to add that I had a great time with Over the Top while it lasted. If nothing else, I'll think twice in the future before making fun of the stupid decisions of real-life WWI commanders.

Seriously. It's easy to be an armchair general and support the "lions lead by donkeys" myth. And then you actually try doing it for yourself...

• Locked thread