Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Oh my god, she actually shot at it him. Aiming a gun at people is totally an anime response to sexual harassment, but this is the first time I've seen someone actually shot at. And in Front Mission, the orphan powered brain bomb series. There...aren't even words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

-Walter Benjamin, "The Arcades Project"

Tae posted:

That ending scene is the most cartoony thing the franchise has ever done, and that includes all of Front Mission 3.

thetruegentleman posted:

Oh my god, she actually shot at it him. Aiming a gun at people is totally an anime response to sexual harassment, but this is the first time I've seen someone actually shot at. And in Front Mission, the orphan powered brain bomb series. There...aren't even words.

You're right. That whole section is mostly a big joke.

Victis posted:

Haha Hector is such a laid-back troll, I love it.

We're going to see a lot more of him and he's quite an interesting character.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

So, having just finished FM3, I'm having a go at FM4 now. Is there anything I should know before I get too far into the game? The mechanics seem a lot more like 5 than 3, it's an interesting shift. But I miss the emphasis on terrain height that was in 3, getting one up on my opponents by having higher ground always felt fun.

[edit]I'm at the point where Darril has just been introduced. I'm actually getting drawn in by the story now, namely what the hell he'd have to do to redeem himself to where he is in FM5. Unless the bit where you meet him in 5 is chronologically before 4.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 10:40 on May 18, 2015

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

Crazy Achmed posted:

So, having just finished FM3, I'm having a go at FM4 now. Is there anything I should know before I get too far into the game? The mechanics seem a lot more like 5 than 3, it's an interesting shift. But I miss the emphasis on terrain height that was in 3, getting one up on my opponents by having higher ground always felt fun.

[edit]I'm at the point where Darril has just been introduced. I'm actually getting drawn in by the story now, namely what the hell he'd have to do to redeem himself to where he is in FM5. Unless the bit where you meet him in 5 is chronologically before 4.

Honestly, I'm not an expert on FM4, but I do know that launchers are very strong in that game. Use grenades in the USN side and missiles in the EC side.

As for Darril, you first see him before FM4 and then recruit him after FM4.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

MaterialConceptual posted:

Honestly, I'm not an expert on FM4, but I do know that launchers are very strong in that game. Use grenades in the USN side and missiles in the EC side.

Thanks. Yeah, missiles seem to do a hell of a lot of damage, but at least they don't have the godlike range they had in 3. I'm glad you put that tidbit about mixing melee and assault weapons actually being really worthwhile, since I just noticed that Darril starts with the shotgun/knuckleduster combo and was about to ditch one of them.

And, well, if Darril is back in the UCS army again after FM4 then he must be one hell of a bad dude who saves presidents all day, I guess. I for one approve of the game having one of your protagonists be a total slacker who gives no shits about his job and jumps at the chance to desert and steal a bunch of embezelled gold bullion along with his unit's wanzers, as opposed to Elsa, who's much more generic green-but-suspiciously-good-at-everything (but at least has a pretty neat accent).

Also, is it worth putting a turbo backpack on your second melee wanzer to try and eke out a bit more damage? And is it ever going to be worthwhile to equip your grapple with knuckledusters? My mind is rebelling at the idea of hardblow being higher damage than knuckledusters.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 09:03 on May 19, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Launchers were especially nasty in 4 because of Sensor Packs, which allowed a recon wanzer to act as an artillery spotter for them and allowed them to fire far beyond their normal range.

There's one mission where you're assaulting a dug in set of long-range missile emplacements and basically, if you let a Recon end its turn next to one of your guys, that guy is just going to be robit paste.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Crazy Achmed posted:

Elsa, who's much more generic green-but-suspiciously-good-at-everything (but at least has a pretty neat accent).

The original plan for Elsa was actually much darker, and is still present in the FM4 novel (only in Japanese). In that story she is struggling with a drug addiction brought on by PTSD while she is going through the events of the game. One of the problems that plagued the FM franchise was the planned stories being censored by SquareSoft/Square Enix management, and this is really apparent if you compare what's in the mangas and novels vs. what's in the games. Probably for that reason FM tended to be more popular outside of the games.

As for the FM4 mechanics advice, I'm sorry but I can't be of much help there because it has been ages since I played the game. I'm sure some others like Night10194 can offer more advice though.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Actually, that last question about outfitting melee wanzers was about FM5 / your squad (sorry for the derails! Back on topic now).
How much is it worth upgrading early-game weapons (in FM5) versus hanging on until you can buy a better base model? Or can all the parts hold their own throughout the game provided they're upgraded enough?

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 13:27 on May 19, 2015

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Crazy Achmed posted:

Actually, that last question about outfitting melee wanzers was about FM5 / your squad (sorry for the derails! Back on topic now).
How much is it worth upgrading early-game weapons (in FM5) versus hanging on until you can buy a better base model? Or can all the parts hold their own throughout the game provided they're upgraded enough?

Oh okay, I'm pretty sure that the melee weapons will eventually outpace hard blow, but we haven't reached that point yet. As for upgrading early-game weapons, go ahead and upgrade the parts I've been going with. You only really need to save your RP if you're playing hard mode and need to upgrade the survival simulator stuff. Also, there isn't really any point to upgrading purchased parts because after rank 1 and 2 you generally can't upgrade to the rare variants anymore. This means you should NEVER sell your rank one parts.

Anyhow, here's the next episode!

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Good lord, I've been abusing the poo poo out of the Survival Sim, haven't even got to the ship yet and I've already kitted myself out in Dual Gale-II's, Artassaults, several Shield-Limit remover weapons, a few Heavy Pile types and a bunch of Frost C parts!

I think I might have a problem. :v:

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Koorisch posted:

Good lord, I've been abusing the poo poo out of the Survival Sim, haven't even got to the ship yet and I've already kitted myself out in Dual Gale-II's, Artassaults, several Shield-Limit remover weapons, a few Heavy Pile types and a bunch of Frost C parts!

I think I might have a problem. :v:

Cool! Good to hear it! I'm glad someone out there actually likes the survival simulator. Just keep in mind that you will have to be pumping RP into all those parts going forward in the game, so you have to pick which parts you actually want to use.

EDIT: By the way I am just working on building up my pilots at the moment. This week has been very busy for me, so the progress is slow but steady.

MaterialConceptual fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 22, 2015

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Cool! Good to hear it! I'm glad someone out there actually likes the survival simulator. Just keep in mind that you will have to be pumping RP into all those parts going forward in the game, so you have to pick which parts you actually want to use.

No problem, Walter with dual machineguns or shotguns handles like a champ, especially if I get the Dead Shot versions. :getin:

I'd probably just run a few runs to get some RP if I really care so much about it but since I'm going to play Hard mode after this it really won't matter much if I do spend them all.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Sorry for the lack of updates, I've been very busy but I've been plugging away at getting things ready for the next episode when I have time. I should be able to do the test run of the next mission tonight, so expect another episode tomorrow or the day after.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Hey, don't sweat it, these videos seem to end up being pretty epic in length and in any event, real life is always more important!

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Crazy Achmed posted:

Hey, don't sweat it, these videos seem to end up being pretty epic in length and in any event, real life is always more important!

Just finished my test run of the next mission and yeah, it was epic in length! I think this next episode might be another 2 hour mammoth.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Well, it ended up being a mere hour and a half! Here it is!

goatse.cx
Nov 21, 2013
I'm not seeing what the roles should be for some of the weapons. What is gatling good for anyway? I seem to do a lot worse after switching my gunner to that. And the bazooka, do the AOE blast ever become strong enough for the terrible accuracy to be worthwile?

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

goatse.cx posted:

I'm not seeing what the roles should be for some of the weapons. What is gatling good for anyway? I seem to do a lot worse after switching my gunner to that. And the bazooka, do the AOE blast ever become strong enough for the terrible accuracy to be worthwile?

Ugh, this is why I really need to get on writing that build calculator...

Well I haven't used the Gatling much myself, but I will try to get an extra gunner on my team and use it with them when I get the chance. As for the bazooka, as I mentioned in the last video grenades and rockets are quite a bit weaker in FM5, and that goes for the bazooka as well. It isn't terrible but its utility is very situational (Where you can really get a lot of hits in per shot). Even when it is useful you still miss out on the chance to use melee attacks against the enemy you are attacking with it.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I assume the Gatling is supposed to fill a "greater damage, spread over more hits" role? You'll end up hurting the enemy more in the long run, but it will be spread out over the entire body. It might be good paired with a striker, to break off the weakened parts.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Didn't we drop Ed from the squad?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Are the people in your squad anyone particularly special? I'm always torn in games like this between keeping the people who've been in my squad gathering experience for longer, versus some new hotshot who needs more training but just might have better stats in the long run.
Or is it like pokemon where you can basically just pick your favourite dudes and still be OK?

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Green Intern posted:

I assume the Gatling is supposed to fill a "greater damage, spread over more hits" role? You'll end up hurting the enemy more in the long run, but it will be spread out over the entire body. It might be good paired with a striker, to break off the weakened parts.

Yeah that's the idea.

Zushio posted:

Didn't we drop Ed from the squad?

No that was Damon. You can't drop Ed since he fills the mandatory "plot essential mechanic" spot.

Crazy Achmed posted:

Are the people in your squad anyone particularly special? I'm always torn in games like this between keeping the people who've been in my squad gathering experience for longer, versus some new hotshot who needs more training but just might have better stats in the long run.
Or is it like pokemon where you can basically just pick your favourite dudes and still be OK?

Not special at all. Feel free to drop whoever you like! Just remember that you can't re-scout people once you've dropped them.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

And here is our glorious 30th episode! (Actually it's kind of a cake walk).

EDIT: Just finished the test run for the next mission...the hype is building for the epic mission to come!

MaterialConceptual fucked around with this message at 13:05 on May 29, 2015

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

And here we go with Episode 31! This mission was considerably more difficult than the last, so it should be more interesting.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Oh man, the next mission is going to be good!

Just love how they can just blow those turrets up almost completely and then just duct-tape them together in less than an hour.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Koorisch posted:

Oh man, the next mission is going to be good!

Just love how they can just blow those turrets up almost completely and then just duct-tape them together in less than an hour.
Isn't it just a matter of Ed and Lynn sitting a few squares away and zapping them with their magic wanzer backpacks? And do you get the same, full-strength death grenades or is the turrets' firepower gimped for the upcoming mission? Although the amount of launchers and other long-range units coming at you looks like it'll be a pain, with the threat of friendly turret fire and all.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Crazy Achmed posted:

Isn't it just a matter of Ed and Lynn sitting a few squares away and zapping them with their magic wanzer backpacks? And do you get the same, full-strength death grenades or is the turrets' firepower gimped for the upcoming mission? Although the amount of launchers and other long-range units coming at you looks like it'll be a pain, with the threat of friendly turret fire and all.

Oh you have no idea the hurt that is coming our way! Well the turrets start at 50% life as a kind of nod to how ridiculous the situation is. I'm still working on clearing the mission with my other save before I move on to the real deal.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

It's still rendering, but the epic mission has been uploaded! Go check it out and enjoy!

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Time to bring up the elephant in the room about Lynn: she doesn't seem to remember Randy at all, even though we know from Ed that it was the both of them that helped her, not just Walter. The logical conclusion is that the book she's talking about came from Randy, since it's the kind of book an idiot would prefer, as opposed to what Lynn (at the time) would have actually liked. In other words, Walter gave Lynn an intellectual book he thought she would like, while Randy gave her a normal book that he himself liked (I'm almost certain Randy also brought up that description about the dog and the child in one of his dialogs as well, but I can't remember. Fun times, considering the topic!) If Lynn lost Walter's book before or during her operation, but still had Randy's somewhere in her belongings, then she must have assumed that the book she still had was given to her by Walter; for someone trying to rebuild her memories without letting anyone onto the fact that she lost them, this is a very bad discrepancy.

It also brings up another problem: how much does Ed actually know about Lynn's condition? Is he changing the topic each time she hits a mental rut because he's worried about her, or because he knows that her brain may literally be damaged, and could be deteriorating even now? Was he passed up for promotion just to keep an eye on her, and possibly Walter? And was this whole incident just a setup to test the EMP's effect on pilots who underwent the brain surgery?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I'm a little sad that the helicopter didn't subsequently drop a regular wanzer.

Lynn's situation is really tragic, and I don't like seeing her suffer like that!

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Green Intern posted:

This is obviously the reason the OCU lost; either they didn't have enough in the budget for one final transformation, or they should have hired you to help them design the experimental weapons. Unfortunately your employment wouldn't last long, because...

Green Intern posted:

Lynn's situation is really tragic, and I don't like seeing her suffer like that!

People with even the smallest hint of ethical thought fare terribly in the Front Mission universe; especially if their jobs involve science in any way, shape, or form. Also, try not to get too attached to Lynn: female love interests in Front Mission don't have a very good track record of surviving their games. In fact, Lynn will be lucky if her confession of love doesn't involve bleeding out on the ground.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

thetruegentleman posted:

Time to bring up the elephant in the room about Lynn: she doesn't seem to remember Randy at all, even though we know from Ed that it was the both of them that helped her, not just Walter. The logical conclusion is that the book she's talking about came from Randy, since it's the kind of book an idiot would prefer, as opposed to what Lynn (at the time) would have actually liked. In other words, Walter gave Lynn an intellectual book he thought she would like, while Randy gave her a normal book that he himself liked (I'm almost certain Randy also brought up that description about the dog and the child in one of his dialogs as well, but I can't remember. Fun times, considering the topic!) If Lynn lost Walter's book before or during her operation, but still had Randy's somewhere in her belongings, then she must have assumed that the book she still had was given to her by Walter; for someone trying to rebuild her memories without letting anyone onto the fact that she lost them, this is a very bad discrepancy.

It also brings up another problem: how much does Ed actually know about Lynn's condition? Is he changing the topic each time she hits a mental rut because he's worried about her, or because he knows that her brain may literally be damaged, and could be deteriorating even now? Was he passed up for promotion just to keep an eye on her, and possibly Walter? And was this whole incident just a setup to test the EMP's effect on pilots who underwent the brain surgery?

I think there is a strong possibility you are right about the book. Remember on the first Eclipse base section when you say to Lynn "Randy's the one who changed" she doesn't really seem to care that he's dead (Of course, poor guy is the Miles O'Brien of FM5). I have another theory about where Walter got the book in the first place, but I will bring that up later!

Your theory about Ed is interesting, I'm always on the fence about whether or not he's just an offensive black stereotype or an interesting character. If we take the stereotype interpretation we could say that he was passed up for promotion because he is too lazy and not serious enough for a higher rank. On the other hand your idea puts him in a more positive light.

As for the incident's relationship to EMPs, I think your argument is a bit of a stretch but I will get into that more as we continue our missions in Indochina.

Green Intern posted:

That would have been hilarious, I would like to see Ed's reaction to THAT!

As for Lynn, her situation is quite tragic, and when I was translating the game script her story was really the only part that got to me emotionally.

thetruegentleman posted:

This is obviously the reason the OCU lost; either they didn't have enough in the budget for one final transformation, or they should have hired you to help them design the experimental weapons. Unfortunately your employment wouldn't last long, because...

People with even the smallest hint of ethical thought fare terribly in the Front Mission universe; especially if their jobs involve science in any way, shape, or form. Also, try not to get too attached to Lynn: female love interests in Front Mission don't have a very good track record of surviving their games. In fact, Lynn will be lucky if her confession of love doesn't involve bleeding out on the ground.

We'll just have to see what happens to the Lt. Colonel!

EDIT: I've got everything ready to shoot the next Wanzer Roundup so that should be out either tonight or tomorrow.

MaterialConceptual fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 6, 2015

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

And here is the fourth Wanzer Roundup! Learn about the Recson, the Grille Sechs, and the Kouren! Watch me struggle with German pronunciation!

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Well done, that mission was brutal. Do the kyojuns keep spawning every few turns at the end there, or was that one that arrived "late to the party", as you put it, the final one? And Ed's grin is the picture of smugness in that scene when you wake up.
I was wondering about the Kouren - for a minute I thought that the name was Chinese and that the DHZ was involved somehow. Is there ever any acknowledgement or explanation about why the Recson is subpar just about every time it makes an appearance?

...actually, come to think of it, if you have grenade reloads in your backpack, can you reload the turrets?

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jun 7, 2015

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Crazy Achmed posted:

Well done, that mission was brutal. Do the kyojuns keep spawning every few turns at the end there, or was that one that arrived "late to the party", as you put it, the final one? And Ed's grin is the picture of smugness in that scene when you wake up.
I was wondering about the Kouren - for a minute I thought that the name was Chinese and that the DHZ was involved somehow. Is there ever any acknowledgement or explanation about why the Recson is subpar just about every time it makes an appearance?

...actually, come to think of it, if you have grenade reloads in your backpack, can you reload the turrets?

The Kyojun at the end was triggered by one of the wanzers that had its arms blown off getting killed. As for the Kouren it is definitely Japanese, as it is built by Kirishima Industries. The DHZ hardly figures into FM5 at all. And strangely enough there is no mention of the Recson being terrible in the Tenmou/World Historica writeups. Yes, it is clearly built more to be an accurate sniping platform than anything else, but the Kyojun and Grille Sechs are clearly superior wanzers that do this even better than the Recson! Finally, no you can't reload the turrets although that would be hilarious if you could.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Timing of the LP is now auspicious as it seems S-E actually has another Front Mission game of some sort in the works---though there's essentially no details as of yet apparently on the platform(s?) or anything else.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Timing of the LP is now auspicious as it seems S-E actually has another Front Mission game of some sort in the works---though there's essentially no details as of yet apparently on the platform(s?) or anything else.

Yes I will discuss this at the start of the next video. I am fairly pessimistic about the new game but I'll give my reasons there and then.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ExiledTinkerer posted:

The director is a former Armored Core guy so....not looking forward to it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yes I will discuss this at the start of the next video. I am fairly pessimistic about the new game but I'll give my reasons there and then.

What happened to the original FM team? I mean, wasn't the disaster that was Evolved written by the goddamn FFXIII guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Night10194 posted:

What happened to the original FM team? I mean, wasn't the disaster that was Evolved written by the goddamn FFXIII guy?

Toshiro Tsuchida quit and joined a giant mobile company because he said he's getting too old for console development and wanted shorter development cycles.

• Locked thread