Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Tae posted:

The director is a former Armored Core guy so....not looking forward to it.
Oh god, that doesn't bode well. Not that I don't like armored core, but Evolved was terrible in so many ways. I was expecting it to be something like The Bureau where you could pause the action to order your squadmates around, but hell, we didn't even get that. Instead we got a protagonist who was almost as unlikeable as Kazuki Takemura, but he only wins that competition because he yells "woohoo!" upon discovering a crate of gold bars left lying around a space station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

-Walter Benjamin, "The Arcades Project"
I was going to do the next video in the series, but instead I ended up ranting for 40 minutes about the new Front Mission game. You can hear my thoughts here but I'm not going to add it to the series playlist.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

All I can say after that, then, is that I really hope they don't screw it up (too much). Good things do happen sometimes, though, like with Human Revolution being a decent game, and I hear that the new X-Com game was really good as well.
You're not involved in the game industry yourself, are you? Or are you just an avid follower of the Front Mission games and the development behind them?

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

Crazy Achmed posted:

All I can say after that, then, is that I really hope they don't screw it up (too much). Good things do happen sometimes, though, like with Human Revolution being a decent game, and I hear that the new X-Com game was really good as well.
You're not involved in the game industry yourself, are you? Or are you just an avid follower of the Front Mission games and the development behind them?

Just an avid follower who was surrounded by other avid followers on the translation project. We talked about what was going on at Square Enix pretty much every week while all that stuff was going on.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

With the rant out of the way, it's time for the next episode! This is a pretty short and simple one, but the next sequence of battles is quite tough.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

A bit of a progress update since I've been silent. I have cleared the next mission on my hacked/test save, but I'm going to have to take some time to get all my new pilots set up and grind out the hover legs I need for the next mission on my real save. Anyhow, the next set of missions is pretty cool so I think you'll enjoy it.

EDIT: Next episode should be out tomorrow.

MaterialConceptual fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 17, 2015

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Here is the next episode! I'm having fun with these missions since I haven't played them much.

goatse.cx
Nov 21, 2013
Question: do the higher level skills (e.g. 'dbl punch 2') have a different activation chance than its lower level counterpart ('dbl punch 1')?

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

goatse.cx posted:

Question: do the higher level skills (e.g. 'dbl punch 2') have a different activation chance than its lower level counterpart ('dbl punch 1')?

I don't think so, but I don't have any data on that. I'll have a look around and see what I can find.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Hey, this may be a pretty epic LP but there's no sense losing sleep or risking your health over it...

How do the hover legs stack up against what you would normally have equipped? And what happens in that mission if you don't equip them?

Also, it's further from the verbatim translation and I don't speak a word of Japanese, but how about something like "time is of the essence"? I for one find your little asides about the translation pretty interesting. Same with the intrigue around the unmarked enemy wanzers, the significance of the grille sechs ("griller", is close enough to the pronunciation, I think), etc.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Crazy Achmed posted:

Hey, this may be a pretty epic LP but there's no sense losing sleep or risking your health over it...

How do the hover legs stack up against what you would normally have equipped? And what happens in that mission if you don't equip them?

Also, it's further from the verbatim translation and I don't speak a word of Japanese, but how about something like "time is of the essence"? I for one find your little asides about the translation pretty interesting. Same with the intrigue around the unmarked enemy wanzers, the significance of the grille sechs ("griller", is close enough to the pronunciation, I think), etc.

I'll show off the difference between the hover legs and the normal ones in the next episode. There is actually a much better hover leg set that has quite a high evade but the ones I was using don't have great evasion. If you don't bring hover legs into that mission your movement is highly restricted and you are basically a sitting duck in the portions of the level where you can't get up above the water line.

I'm definitely putting my health first, but I usually have to put a few evenings of prep time into each episode so when I do get a chance to record I'm pretty eager to do it.

As for the translation stuff, the number one thing to think about is always the string length limit. That was really the huge limiting factor that hindered the quality of the translation. Front Mission 2 was actually much less restrictive in that regard so I was able to do a better job on that.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

And here's another mammoth episode! This is a big turning point in the story so it should be of interest.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You know, I would not have expected giant modestly-sized robot interfaces to have legitimate medical purposes.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

There's always bleedoff benefits from military R&D!

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Glazius posted:

You know, I would not have expected giant modestly-sized robot interfaces to have legitimate medical purposes.

Green Intern posted:

There's always bleedoff benefits from military R&D!

Exactly! I'm sure they have some great joint ventures going with Versalife.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Here's the next episode! This one is definitely a mixed bag with its ups and downs, but it does have a big reveal.

I should have the next episode up tomorrow, and I will be doing a Wanzer Roundup after that because we have lots of models to discuss!

MaterialConceptual fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 26, 2015

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

MaterialConceptual posted:

Here's the next episode! This one is definitely a mixed bag with its ups and downs, but it does have a big reveal.

I should have the next episode up tomorrow, and I will be doing a Wanzer Roundup after that because we have lots of models to discuss!
Well, Reynolds being the only survivor of a process that tends to (at best) erase your memory and also heading up a unit dedicated to stopping Bernard - one that happens to have just coincidentally had no success in finding him for eight years - is a little bit suspicious, yes.

Did you ever consider deliberately changing of some of the bits of dialogue that you hated? And I don't mean any offence but what's up with the choice of font for the dialogue? It really clashes with the clean future-military style that everything else has. I'm guessing it's one that already existed in the game assets?

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Crazy Achmed posted:

Well, Reynolds being the only survivor of a process that tends to (at best) erase your memory and also heading up a unit dedicated to stopping Bernard - one that happens to have just coincidentally had no success in finding him for eight years - is a little bit suspicious, yes.

Did you ever consider deliberately changing of some of the bits of dialogue that you hated? And I don't mean any offence but what's up with the choice of font for the dialogue? It really clashes with the clean future-military style that everything else has. I'm guessing it's one that already existed in the game assets?

I definitely didn't want to change the game's dialogue since this is a translation, and I haven't corrected the translated dialogue because the team are all busy with their separate IRL stuff. We have talked about revising the translation some time though.

As for the font, yeah it's the "zenkaku" English font that comes with the game. I agree that it looks bad but we weren't able to fix it.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Another day, another episode! This one turned out pretty well, despite some graphical glitches.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Hey, I wasn't talking about a rewrite, that would be a ridiculous amount of work! I was just wanting to know about your process when you were doing the translation. :) Always good to hear more about the behind the scenes stuff about how the patching/hacking works, though.

Man, that next mission looks like a pretty nasty situation. I'm assuming that they don't all bum rush you at once?

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Crazy Achmed posted:

Hey, I wasn't talking about a rewrite, that would be a ridiculous amount of work! I was just wanting to know about your process when you were doing the translation. :) Always good to hear more about the behind the scenes stuff about how the patching/hacking works, though.

Man, that next mission looks like a pretty nasty situation. I'm assuming that they don't all bum rush you at once?

No worries, you can check out how the mission goes in this new episode!

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Here's our fifth Wanzer Roundup! This time we cover the Zenith, Schakal, and ASA-9X!

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

And here's a surprise new episode! There are a lot of FM2 spoilers in this one, so if that's an issue for you, go ahead and skip it.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

I uploaded our first arena episode a number of days ago but completely forgot to post it here because I rendered it overnight! Sorry about that. A new episode might be up tonight.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

And here's our first Battle Simulator episode! I'll probably do another episode on the final battle simulator mission once we get to the end game.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Just saying that your effort is much appreciated and even though this isn't the fastest-paced game in the world, it's still very enjoyable to watch and can be nailbitingly tense at times. Do you get to use the prototype wanzer you captured in the last mission?
Holy poo poo the AI in the arena is terrible, if the other characters didn't sometimes just wander off aimlessly I'd wonder if there was actually a bug in the code making Darril's striker move as if it had ranged weapons. Speaking of Darril, is there a particular reason you don't move him before your ranged dudes to maximise the number of punches he gets in each turn? Or is friendly fire too much of a problem to do this?

Also, blast shot is the most underwhelming thing in the world when it misses.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Crazy Achmed posted:

Just saying that your effort is much appreciated and even though this isn't the fastest-paced game in the world, it's still very enjoyable to watch and can be nailbitingly tense at times. Do you get to use the prototype wanzer you captured in the last mission?
Holy poo poo the AI in the arena is terrible, if the other characters didn't sometimes just wander off aimlessly I'd wonder if there was actually a bug in the code making Darril's striker move as if it had ranged weapons. Speaking of Darril, is there a particular reason you don't move him before your ranged dudes to maximise the number of punches he gets in each turn? Or is friendly fire too much of a problem to do this?

Also, blast shot is the most underwhelming thing in the world when it misses.

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I took a bit of a break over the last few days to catch up on Pillars of Eternity, but I'm working up to the next set of missions now. I'll cover your points one-by-one:

1) Not going to spoil that just yet!

2) The AI is truly abysmal. It's not really even "AI" so much as it is a random number generator used to gamble on CP.

3) Sometimes it's because I want to avoid getting him in a crossfire, but usually it's because he isn't high in the default turn order and I get lazy or otherwise distracted. Part of doing a LP is sacrificing some attention to doing the commentary.

4) It's pretty hilarious, to the point that I almost wish it computed the chance to hit in advance and didn't show the animation if it didn't hit.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Sorry for the lack of new episodes, I've finished doing my trial run of the next mission but I had to do a lot of arena grinding for that, and the rest of my spare time has been spent watching EVO this weekend. Expect a new episode tomorrow.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Here's the next episode! This one was a bit of a struggle but I'll try to do a better job with the next.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Hey, take it easy if you're feeling under the weather. I think it's more that the situation of that mission itself seemed a little filler-ish, not so much your play or commentary. I've been ill myself the last week or so, and having your last couple of videos to watch through a fog of cough syrup and paracetamol made things just that little bit more bearable.

How does the next mission play out - where are the enemy units running to, the exit by where you start or the one on the other end of the map? What strategy are you planning on using?

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Crazy Achmed posted:

Hey, take it easy if you're feeling under the weather. I think it's more that the situation of that mission itself seemed a little filler-ish, not so much your play or commentary. I've been ill myself the last week or so, and having your last couple of videos to watch through a fog of cough syrup and paracetamol made things just that little bit more bearable.

How does the next mission play out - where are the enemy units running to, the exit by where you start or the one on the other end of the map? What strategy are you planning on using?

They don't actually run anywhere, the "running" is just a way to explain the turn limit. Which way you tackle the mission depends on whether you want to get the excellent performance bonus or not. If you don't, taking a zig-zag pattern allows you to aggro the maximum number of enemies so they will come attack you instead of you coming to them. Otherwise you have to go around and take out the turrets. I haven't decided yet whether or not to go for the bonus. Anyhow, glad to hear the episodes helped you get over your cold!

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

And here's another episode! I was feeling better when I recorded this one and I think it went much better because of it!

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Nice work, I'd have thought it'd be impossible to get those bonuses without doing some brutal grinding beforehand. Glad you're using Darril more too, he's an utter beast at causing large amounts of pain to a single target's body while also being an effective damage sponge. I love me some giant robots, and the only thing better than giant robots shooting stuff is giant robots punching stuff.
Is there a (reasonable) way to increase Patrick's accuracy, either with the EMP pack or his flamer? It's goddamn painful how much he misses... although it can be golden when he hits.

Anyway, here's a little thing I made from the end of the last video! What's the plan?
Assuming the goal is to kill everyone and there's no horrible time limit, my instinct here is to rush down the two launchers on the western edge of the map, then move east along that corridor to take down the other two dudes they share a link with. Take a turn south through that 4-square-wide gap and go after the squad with the striker in it - hopefully without aggroing the boss squad or the guys in the southwest - then move into the southwest corner before rounding on the boss.
The boss looks like a total rear end in a top hat, especially with two mechanics in tow. Plus the T-xa's off hand looks like it might be some kind of beam weapon? Although those still seemed to be very much still experimental in FM3 so hopefully I'm wrong here.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Crazy Achmed posted:

Nice work, I'd have thought it'd be impossible to get those bonuses without doing some brutal grinding beforehand. Glad you're using Darril more too, he's an utter beast at causing large amounts of pain to a single target's body while also being an effective damage sponge. I love me some giant robots, and the only thing better than giant robots shooting stuff is giant robots punching stuff.
Is there a (reasonable) way to increase Patrick's accuracy, either with the EMP pack or his flamer? It's goddamn painful how much he misses... although it can be golden when he hits.

Anyway, here's a little thing I made from the end of the last video! What's the plan?
Assuming the goal is to kill everyone and there's no horrible time limit, my instinct here is to rush down the two launchers on the western edge of the map, then move east along that corridor to take down the other two dudes they share a link with. Take a turn south through that 4-square-wide gap and go after the squad with the striker in it - hopefully without aggroing the boss squad or the guys in the southwest - then move into the southwest corner before rounding on the boss.
The boss looks like a total rear end in a top hat, especially with two mechanics in tow. Plus the T-xa's off hand looks like it might be some kind of beam weapon? Although those still seemed to be very much still experimental in FM3 so hopefully I'm wrong here.

Hey yeah I think I could boost Patrick's accuracy with a Kyojun arm, but the trouble at the moment is the weight limit. The Fire Ant S is quite heavy and so is the EMP backpack so those limit our options.

As for strategy I think I will make use of my gunner to aggro the gunner and jammer from the first group and then see if I can do the same to draw out the second group. Otherwise your plan seems solid to me!

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

What are the other good 'sniper' arms available in the game - is the Kyojun one of the better ones or just the best available right now?
Just for the record, too, I'm not trying to be a backseat driver with the map; I'm just hoping to spark some strat discussion with whoever is following the thread :)

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Crazy Achmed posted:

What are the other good 'sniper' arms available in the game - is the Kyojun one of the better ones or just the best available right now?
Just for the record, too, I'm not trying to be a backseat driver with the map; I'm just hoping to spark some strat discussion with whoever is following the thread :)

Oh no worries about the strat talk. I just did my hacked saved run and the mission isn't too bad until you get near the boss.

As for sniper arms I think the best set is the Grille Sechs, but I we don't have access to those parts yet.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

And after a bit of a wait here's another episode! With this mission done we are on to the home stretch for the game!

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

MIDAS? Oh snap. FM3 was my introduction to this series, and from what I know of that game I don't expect this one to end well anymore... I'm looking forward to the gatling gun, though. Who gets the chop? Julius kind of feels like the weakest link right now, except when Patrick forgets to bring his glasses with him. Doubly so if you can jimmy things so that Hector can use the Artassault. Having the extra mechanic has saved you a few times, though, I think.
Come to think of it, Patrick's a bit of an oddball. The weight of the jammer pack and also that arms with decent accuracy are usually high weight/crappy HP seem to be at cross purposes of his needing to be at close range (i.e. getting constantly shot up) if he wants to use his flamer. But when he does hit with the EMP and flamethrower, he hits like a truck.

As far as what to play next goes, I don't know much about interesting fan-translated/hacked games but I have a few ideas for things of a similar vein to FM5:
Play it again, Sam: my laptop isn't really powerful enough to run front mission 4 smoothly (and it was never released in my region, so I can't even play it on my PS2), if you're not sick of front mission by now.
On the theme of robots: if a translation was ever done for any of the Another Century's Episode games, I'd love to see one of those.
Obscure squad tactics: there's a fun little game with a cool (western) comic aesthetic called Shadow Watch, based on a Tom Clancy novel. It's light on plot and has a few flaws but is still pretty fun - I've played the hell out of it myself and could try helping with commentary if you like.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The next base is probably where I get really confused on whether it was a retcon or a severe character localization change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Crazy Achmed posted:

MIDAS? Oh snap. FM3 was my introduction to this series, and from what I know of that game I don't expect this one to end well anymore... I'm looking forward to the gatling gun, though. Who gets the chop? Julius kind of feels like the weakest link right now, except when Patrick forgets to bring his glasses with him. Doubly so if you can jimmy things so that Hector can use the Artassault. Having the extra mechanic has saved you a few times, though, I think.
Come to think of it, Patrick's a bit of an oddball. The weight of the jammer pack and also that arms with decent accuracy are usually high weight/crappy HP seem to be at cross purposes of his needing to be at close range (i.e. getting constantly shot up) if he wants to use his flamer. But when he does hit with the EMP and flamethrower, he hits like a truck.

As far as what to play next goes, I don't know much about interesting fan-translated/hacked games but I have a few ideas for things of a similar vein to FM5:
Play it again, Sam: my laptop isn't really powerful enough to run front mission 4 smoothly (and it was never released in my region, so I can't even play it on my PS2), if you're not sick of front mission by now.
On the theme of robots: if a translation was ever done for any of the Another Century's Episode games, I'd love to see one of those.
Obscure squad tactics: there's a fun little game with a cool (western) comic aesthetic called Shadow Watch, based on a Tom Clancy novel. It's light on plot and has a few flaws but is still pretty fun - I've played the hell out of it myself and could try helping with commentary if you like.

Oh yes, the FM3 linkage is strong here at the end, and we'll get some FM2 in there for good measure! However as Tae alluded to, it might not quite be what you expected...but I'll be talking about that once we get to Alaska.

I am thinking of ditching Julius at this point because the light backpack isn't that much better than having items around. It's true that Patrick is a bit overburdened and trying to fulfill too many roles, that's mainly because I shouldn't have gone with the Fire Ant S when I chose my Fire Ant variant. It's true that it gets a lot of skill activations but its accuracy still is just too low. In any case I have him around mainly for the EMP.

Thanks for the game suggestions, I'll look into those. I don't think I'll play FM4 because it really doesn't stack up well against FM5, and the links of that game to FM5 aren't all that interesting.

• Locked thread