Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

-Walter Benjamin, "The Arcades Project"

Green Intern posted:

Fights against big mobile weapons are the best parts of the Front Mission series. I'm guessing that getting right up in those things' faces is the best way to beat them? They don't have a pile bunker like the last boss.

Yeah it's best to surround them. Because of their size you can usually get plenty of links without worrying about the crossfire, and since they don't have a pile bunker you can melee as much as you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatse.cx
Nov 21, 2013
I feel like I'm missing a lot not knowing the rich lore of front mission universe. What are all these factions, what is the state of the world? Is USN an alliance between North and South America? Sounds like an absolutely implausible union!!

Big robots are cool tho

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

goatse.cx posted:

I feel like I'm missing a lot not knowing the rich lore of front mission universe. What are all these factions, what is the state of the world? Is USN an alliance between North and South America? Sounds like an absolutely implausible union!!

Big robots are cool tho

Here is a very rough world map of the game world:

The USN is in fact a union of North and South America. At the time the series was first created there was some talk of moving towards such a union, and it reached its zenith during the Clinton years before the whole thing fell apart and was forgotten. As we will see later in the game, the USN is very much a union of unequals, and the USA maintains a basically colonial relationship towards South America. If you want to learn more about it check out FM4.

The OCU is a union of Australia, Southeast Asia, Japan, and Korea. Again, there has been from time to time talk of forming some kind of umbrella organization like this (deliberately excluding China) but nothing much has come of it in reality. It also never has really been about independence from the US in the way that the EU was in the time of its formation. And talk about them going to war with the USA has never even remotely been on the table.

The EC is basically just the EU.

All the big super states are facing separatist struggles. The EC also has a rough relationship with Africa because of the colonial exploitation they tried to maintain there, as covered in Front Mission Alternative (Chronologically the first game in the series). The USN more or less muddles through things, but the OCU is in a state of near constant crisis. The apex of their power was when they defeated the USN in the First Huffman Conflict, but ever since then they have had to deal with separatism, corruption, infighting among members, and generally poor organization. This gets covered quite a lot in Front Mission 2 and to some extent in Front Mission 3. The OCU is dominated by Japan and Australia, and their colonial hinterland in SE Asia is very rebellious. The only organization they have that really is strong and unified is the Central Intelligence Service of the Union (CISU). In this way I think of them as somewhat similar to Pakistan, which has a similarly powerful intelligence agency and a similarly weak government. The EC has troubles not only with Africa, but also with Zaftra (Russia) as well. This gets covered in FM4.

For more information, check out the Wikipedia entry, which was largely written by leader of the translation project.

EDIT: I finished my dry run of Mission 10 but I'm going to wait until tomorrow to record. Should have the next episode up then.

MaterialConceptual fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 29, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yeah, the USN is less a 'union' and more 'Hey, you know how the US loves loving with South America? Instead we'll just occupy them and gently caress with them more directly.'

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I never realized that OCU was somehow involved in the whole missile crisis, which makes this mission even more confusing if there's really no backstory involved.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

The main thing that bothered me about FM lore is Australia/New Zealand joining up with the OCU vs. the USN, that makes zero sense.

I guess it makes for a better power bloc considering China is off the table but it would never happen (militarily at least).

Speaking of China, what's the reason they're blacked/written out? Do they become super insular?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Victis posted:

Speaking of China, what's the reason they're blacked/written out? Do they become super insular?

They're not though. They play a pretty big part in FM3. They're now known as the Da Han Zhong (DHZ). They're just not involved on Huffman as that's a primarily a USN/OCU thing.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Alright here's the next episode! As I mention in the video I was a little bit inebriated when I shot this, so I hope things go a bit better next time. Nevertheless I think it's a pretty entertaining episode!

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Is it better to get all HW on Walter or is it ok to use HW with Blizzaia limbs or does that mean that we don't get the set bonii?

I still don't really "get" the set bonus completely but you only need to have the same type and subtypes right?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I would've tried finishing off the Garsade before it got into range of the transports. Might've saved a few hit points. Great playing, though.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

That mission is nuts! Nice attempt though. Looking forward to the hopefully successful run.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Koorisch posted:

Is it better to get all HW on Walter or is it ok to use HW with Blizzaia limbs or does that mean that we don't get the set bonii?

I still don't really "get" the set bonus completely but you only need to have the same type and subtypes right?

From the FAQ:

quote:

Q: How does Set Bonus take effect? Is it specific to one particular model
or are there exceptions?

A: Set Bonus takes into effect as long as a wanzer you have assembled uses
parts from a certain wanzer set. For example, Zenith DV and Zeria are from
the Zenith set since they are derivatives from the base model. However, a
part such as Frost does not belong in the set and therefore Set Bonus cannot
be enabled.

So yes it should be okay.

WaltherFeng posted:

I would've tried finishing off the Garsade before it got into range of the transports. Might've saved a few hit points. Great playing, though.

I didn't explain that too well. You have to kill all the other units BEFORE killing the Garsades, because killing the Garsades ends the mission (Before you can fulfill the bonus condition). This is what makes the mission really crazy.

Green Intern posted:

That mission is nuts! Nice attempt though. Looking forward to the hopefully successful run.

Thanks! I'm thinking about what I could do to improve my chances.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

I was wondering if you had enough time to spend a turn healing between the death of the first garsade and the second group of enemies. I recall you charging in without using any repair items or anything.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Green Intern posted:

I was wondering if you had enough time to spend a turn healing between the death of the first garsade and the second group of enemies. I recall you charging in without using any repair items or anything.

Watch and find out! Here's the next episode!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

I'm sure it'll be great when I actually get a chance to watch it. Making a short film this weekend.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
So tank armor isnt standard issue for Wanzers? I though Mecha anime shown me tank shells are worthless vs mechs

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

In general, the mecha in Front Mission are just another weapon system, rather than an overall superweapon like they are in something like gundam. That's one of the better things about the setting. Wanzers can get taken out by choppers, artillery, tanks, and I'm sure infantry can certainly manage with the right weaponry and a chance to ambush them, much like they do against any other AFV.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Night10194 posted:

In general, the mecha in Front Mission are just another weapon system, rather than an overall superweapon like they are in something like gundam. That's one of the better things about the setting. Wanzers can get taken out by choppers, artillery, tanks, and I'm sure infantry can certainly manage with the right weaponry and a chance to ambush them, much like they do against any other AFV.

Now when you mentioned it Dog Life and Dog Style have a chapter for that.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Green Intern posted:

I'm sure it'll be great when I actually get a chance to watch it. Making a short film this weekend.

Good luck wth that!

gyrobot posted:

So tank armor isnt standard issue for Wanzers? I though Mecha anime shown me tank shells are worthless vs mechs

I'm not sure what the exact difference is, but if I recall correctly the lore for the HW is that the Hell's Wall unit had extra tank armor bolted on to their Frosts so they could better use their signature formation.

gyrobot posted:

Now when you mentioned it Dog Life and Dog Style have a chapter for that.

I really liked when DLDS had those kinds of short stories that showed different perspectives on the Second Huffman Conflict. I wasn't such a fan of the later part of the series.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Nice job on the mission!

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

The next episode will be available here once it's done rendering! This one has a lot of military minutae in it, but at least I got the audio issues I've been having lately with OBS sorted out so it sounds much better.

goatse.cx
Nov 21, 2013
you can only upgrade items to one level below shop level, yes? wouldn't it be generally unoptimal to use upgraded parts then, since the shop parts were better by virtue of being one level higher

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

I'm down to recruit that special pilot later, but any chance of showing what happens on an alternate save? I'm curious what would cause her to get her rear end whupped and award us a Wanzer at the same time.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

goatse.cx posted:

you can only upgrade items to one level below shop level, yes? wouldn't it be generally unoptimal to use upgraded parts then, since the shop parts were better by virtue of being one level higher

No because the stat growth on the good upgraded parts outpaces that of the purchasable ones. I think the upgrade limit is put in for balance so that you aren't just steamrolling the game.

Victis posted:

I'm down to recruit that special pilot later, but any chance of showing what happens on an alternate save? I'm curious what would cause her to get her rear end whupped and award us a Wanzer at the same time.

Sure, I'll do that at the start of the next episode.

goatse.cx
Nov 21, 2013
I've been playing through this, how come i couldn't upgrade frost to the variants? the only upgrade option is 'frost'.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

goatse.cx posted:

I've been playing through this, how come i couldn't upgrade frost to the variants? the only upgrade option is 'frost'.

The upgrade paths are only available at like Frost level 1 or 2. That's why all the guides tell you to not sell your parts, because you literally don't have access to upgrade to frost variants otherwise.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Tae posted:

The upgrade paths are only available at like Frost level 1 or 2. That's why all the guides tell you to not sell your parts, because you literally don't have access to upgrade to frost variants otherwise.

This is correct. Go check out the wanzer specs FAQ for more info on upgrades

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Sorry for the lack of updates. I've come down with a cold that is getting in the way of making progress, but I will be doing the prep stuff for the next episode tomorrow.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

And here's the next episode! This one is MASSIVE! I apologize for my sick voice, but hopefully you can live with it.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Is there any background information available on firearm manufacturers or weapons themselves in the Front Mission universe? I'm interested in the technical aspects of the various weaponry.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

Is there any background information available on firearm manufacturers or weapons themselves in the Front Mission universe? I'm interested in the technical aspects of the various weaponry.

There is, I just haven't been covering it because it'd be a lot of work. I guess I could do one weapons roundup video for the USN weapons you always use though.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

And here's the second episode of our survival simulator saga! All I'll say is, that if your going to make a game where you are laser focused on cashing out of the game, you should make it a bit easier to cash out!

goatse.cx
Nov 21, 2013

MaterialConceptual posted:

And here's the second episode of our survival simulator saga! All I'll say is, that if your going to make a game where you are laser focused on cashing out of the game, you should make it a bit easier to cash out!

Reading the Gamefaqs guides, basically all the top tier stuff in the game are hidden in survival sim, on floors that are only available in hard mode? That sounds like a horrible grind.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

goatse.cx posted:

Reading the Gamefaqs guides, basically all the top tier stuff in the game are hidden in survival sim, on floors that are only available in hard mode? That sounds like a horrible grind.

All of this is true.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

And here is the final survival simulator video! I try to do some more analysis of the game in this one to keep things interesting.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

The simulator is exactly the sort of thing that I'd mindlessly grind while watching a movie or something.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Green Intern posted:

The simulator is exactly the sort of thing that I'd mindlessly grind while watching a movie or something.

I guess this could work so long as you didn't mind dying a fair bit. It does become quite difficult as it goes on.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

And now that we're done with the Survival Simulator, here's the next mission! I had a lot of fun with this one.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Haha Hector is such a laid-back troll, I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
That ending scene is the most cartoony thing the franchise has ever done, and that includes all of Front Mission 3.

• Locked thread