Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Oh hell yeah! I've always wanted to see what happened in this one, but you know, moonspeak.

I've always loved Front Mission and what happened with Evolved was just a tragedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also, in Front Mission 4, they're called the UCS, the United Continental States.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Koorisch posted:

Yeah, thankfully we can say that there aren't actually any bad games in the series. (Front Mission Evolved isn't what i call a FM game, it's more like a shittier Armored Core or something. :colbert:)

I know it's vastly beloved by a lot of people but I've always hated FM3. The tiny skirmish maps, the terrible, terrible characters, the insane plot about evil Belarus, the total lack of Actual Wily Russians, it just feels very off.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also, I want to thank you for doing this LP and this translation. I have no idea how to run the translation patch myself or acquire the game, but Front Mission struck a chord with me when I first played 4 and 1 and I've always loved the series. Seeing how it 'ends' will be a lot of fun for me and I'm really glad to get the chance.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think the reason FM3 put my knickers in a twist as much as it did is that I like FM primarily for, for once, being a mecha series without goddamn space wizards. There's some transhumanist stuff in FM1 especially, but it's depicted as weirdly dehumanizing instead of making anyone special.

I've also always loved that Mecha aren't the only weapon in FM. Even in that intro in 5, we see gunships wasting a couple wanzers. Armies still field plenty of infantry, tanks, aircraft; the wanzer's just a new branch of war and while it's still a bipedal walking robit that makes no goddamn sense, I can suspend disbelief easily about them. It's a mecha series where mecha are just another weapon and where the story is focused much more on how small your characters are (but ultimately, also how significant) in a world of massive geopolitical struggles, brushfire wars, and technothriller intrigues, and that feels pretty unique.

Plus, I just goddamn love Strat RPGs.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Frost is a super-cool Wanzer because the first time you run into it in FM1 is when you fight Hell's Wall, which is basically my favorite mission.

Also, looking at the mission outro, at least one of the incoming enemies is a Zenith, isn't it?

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 11, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I thought I recognized the shoulders and profile, but I could definitely be wrong. I only remember so many of the actual Wanzer models as it is.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Excuse me, sir, I believe it is pronounced 'van-zer', being a German word :goonsay:

Naw, man, I'm just kidding. It's a made up silly word for a mecha, it's pronounced however the hell someone wants. So, this game looks a good bit less forgiving than 4 so far. Those MG wanzers knew to stay out of shotgun range and gently caress you up, it looked like.

Also really like the Wanzer Wrap Up! It's really cool to get some of the background on the manufacturers and weapons systems.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 14, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tae posted:

No, FM5 is an evolution of 4's system except everything's faster. The biggest difference is that you fire twice by default, and it only costs 1 weapon AP worth I.E. FM4 (2 shotgun blasts=6 AP) vs. FM5 (2 Shotgun blasts=3 AP).

Also everyone slides because retcon.

FM4's gameplay was loving great, so I'm glad to hear that.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yeah, the USN is less a 'union' and more 'Hey, you know how the US loves loving with South America? Instead we'll just occupy them and gently caress with them more directly.'

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

In general, the mecha in Front Mission are just another weapon system, rather than an overall superweapon like they are in something like gundam. That's one of the better things about the setting. Wanzers can get taken out by choppers, artillery, tanks, and I'm sure infantry can certainly manage with the right weaponry and a chance to ambush them, much like they do against any other AFV.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

MaterialConceptual posted:

Honestly, I'm not an expert on FM4, but I do know that launchers are very strong in that game. Use grenades in the USN side and missiles in the EC side.

As for Darril, you first see him before FM4 and then recruit him after FM4.

Launchers were especially nasty in 4 because of Sensor Packs, which allowed a recon wanzer to act as an artillery spotter for them and allowed them to fire far beyond their normal range.

There's one mission where you're assaulting a dug in set of long-range missile emplacements and basically, if you let a Recon end its turn next to one of your guys, that guy is just going to be robit paste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

MaterialConceptual posted:

Yes I will discuss this at the start of the next video. I am fairly pessimistic about the new game but I'll give my reasons there and then.

What happened to the original FM team? I mean, wasn't the disaster that was Evolved written by the goddamn FFXIII guy?

• Locked thread