Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

:frogsiren: Terrible food trip reports are now a thing, if you wanna sacrifice your dignity for the internet, go try something disgusting and give us a writeup. :frogsiren:

Post your favorite food disasters you see on TV, social media, or in real life. Just so long as it's something actual people are eating and not just some gross ingredients thrown together just to look or sound awful and then dumped. Nobody wants that. Other than that, anything goes, from good food photographed badly:

Phaeoacremonium posted:

It's ice cream. The angle and colour is just bizarre.

To garbage in huge quantities

Or the just plain weird:

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Oh man, these cookies sure do look delicious, like red velvet or something.

quote:

I made menstrual blood cookies! I am not entirely happy with how they turned out, so I am going to experiment with some recipes throughout the rest of this month so I can try for something great next cycle. This recipe was far too floury.
:gonk:

Trip reports:
bunnyofdoom tries the Big Boss, which has less snake than one might imagine. And provides his taste test of the reeses cups burger, wherein he both wins and loses.
GOTTA STAY FAI tries out some weird Illinois regional food. And then explains the history of the breakfast abomination only known as The Harold And finishes up with a beautiful hand made reeses cups stuffed burger, beating out Bunnyofdoom. PROCLICK
cash crab a local raccoon tries out Subway's in-name-only Lobster Sub And then goes balls ovaries deep into a Double Down
johnnyratbastard demonstrates false advertising with the help of Pizza Hut's mince pie bite stuffed crust pizza
PandaK makes his own pizzabomination
Horrible Smutbeast channels M Night in his tasting of Cadbury's with Vegemite.

ACES CURE PLANES has a new favorite as of 19:26 on Oct 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

So that's what happened to Birdie.

Pickle Rolls

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Some images from the struggleplate files

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

tribbledirigible posted:

So that's what happened to Birdie.

Pickle Rolls

This has to be a midwest creation. I can picture them on a platter right next to hot dish.

For those who don't know, "Hot Dish" is a casserole native to Minnesota that generally includes tater tots and chipped beef. It looks like the vomit of someone who just ate at a prison mess hall. Every time I've had it, it's either really undercooked, burned, or both, so I assume that's traditional. It's also something made in massive quantities, like in giant aluminum turkey trays and then dropped off at the houses of people you pretend to like, but secretly want to die young of congestive heart failure.

Here's a hot dish variety that is "healthy" because it includes lovely canned green beans:

It's best eaten with one of Minnesota's famous "salads" that include ingredients like jello mixed with mayonnaise by the pound, and which universally resemble the pinkish-yellow arterial plaque that coroners squeeze out of obese smokers' carotids like toothpaste. Minnesota is an entire state of people with the culinary talents and tastes of grade-school cafeteria workers. Practically everything from the internet classic, The Gallery of Regrettable food, is still served in Minnesota, where it's 1953 forever.

HP Artsandcrafts
Oct 3, 2012

I guess I'll repost this since the tread was killed shortly after I posted it.

Funnel Cake bacon cheese burger. It looks like instant heart disease.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

HP Artsandcrafts posted:

I guess I'll repost this since the tread was killed shortly after I posted it.

Funnel Cake bacon cheese burger. It looks like instant heart disease.

Would, at least once.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Meatwave posted:

For those who don't know, "Hot Dish" is a casserole native to Minnesota that generally includes tater tots and chipped beef.

I've lived in Minnesota my entire live and have eaten more hotdish than you could possibly imagine. Not once have I ever heard of a hotdish with chipped beef in it.

quote:

It's best eaten with one of Minnesota's famous "salads" that include ingredients like jello mixed with mayonnaise by the pound,

Much like the infamous "grape salad", nobody in Minnesota eats jello and mayo "salad".

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

MisterOblivious posted:

I've lived in Minnesota my entire live and have eaten more hotdish than you could possibly imagine. Not once have I ever heard of a hotdish with chipped beef in it.

Much like the infamous "grape salad", nobody in Minnesota eats jello and mayo "salad".

I've been in Minnesota for about 8 years now. We're just north of the Iowegian border. Never had any of that salad business here. I remember one Christmas long ago when I was around 8, my grandpa had jello with mayo on it. My little brother tried it and cried. I skipped it. This was back in Michigan.

Hot dish is awesome, btw.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

MisterOblivious posted:

Chipped, ground, it all gets shoved messily into the same gaping maw.

From Sonic's own website.

Bonus feature on the importance of lighting!

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

Fat American here, a meat pie floater is something I've always wanted to try. It actually sounds pretty tasty.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
The entire point of a good meat pie is that the pastry isn't supposed to be soggy!

That's Huhu Grubs with a salad garnish.

They taste like peanut butter and live in tree bark. They're also large and tend to "explode" their innards into your throat when you bite into them.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

The entire point of a good meat pie is that the pastry isn't supposed to be soggy!

They taste like peanut butter and live in tree bark. They're also large and tend to "explode" their innards into your throat when you bite into them.

Where are they from? I think I'd give them a shot if I had the chance

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

blunt for century posted:

Where are they from? I think I'd give them a shot if I had the chance

NZ, they're pretty okay really.

You just gotta get over the fact you're eating a fat-fingered size bug filled with peanut butter barf.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

NZ, they're pretty okay really.

You just gotta get over the fact you're eating a fat-fingered size bug filled with peanut butter barf.

Meh, I already eat shrimp and crawfish :v:

Do they come with a sauce, or is it just the bug? Also, how are they cooked?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Meh, I already eat shrimp and crawfish :v:

Do they come with a sauce, or is it just the bug? Also, how are they cooked?

Cooked? Nah son, you eat them raw and alive.

I mean, you can cook them...

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

It could be the best tasting food in the entire world and this would still keep me from eating it. I have a major disgust associated with savory foods that 'pop', like tobico.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Here we go then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj9CysSSsps

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Cooked? Nah son, you eat them raw and alive.

I mean, you can cook them...

:black101:

I've never willingly eaten anything alive. only eaten a few bugs on accident while riding my bike :downs:

I know Japan has a few examples, and New Zealand apparently has huhu grubs, what other options are there for live food?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

I've never willingly eaten anything alive. only eaten a few bugs on accident while riding my bike :downs:

I know Japan has a few examples, and New Zealand apparently has huhu grubs, what other options are there for live food?

Honey ants in Australia are big swollen up ants full of sugary liquid!

Seems like you wanna head to the pacific if you wanna eat a bunch of raw, living "food"

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Aus also has Wichetty grubs, which are another woodgrub that you eat alive.

They taste like almonds.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
teh rest of the civilized world evolved out of eating bugs while australia has devolved

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

You savages. We cook our insects over here.

Well,just sometimes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyxCBkWbbKQ

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I can't stomach the thought of intentionally eating anything alive, even bugs. It just feels wrong. Also if I felt anything squirming in my mouth it would probably make me vomit.

THE PENETRATOR posted:

teh rest of the civilized world evolved out of eating bugs while australia has devolved

Bugs are actually really good for you and some of them taste fine too. The problem is trying to make them look appetizing, which is basically impossible.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Bear Grylls is a goddamn idiot and fakes everything.

Ray Mears did an episode of Bushcraft on Australia and cooked and ate some Witchetty grubs together with some people who know how to prepare them. They look kind of tasty grilled and cleaned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJlO0aifJxA

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

axolotl farmer posted:

Ray Mears did an episode of Bushcraft on Australia and cooked and ate some Witchetty grubs together with some people who know how to prepare them. They look kind of tasty grilled and cleaned.

Bear Grylls fakes a lot of stuff but will end up doing so insane poo poo to himself for the ratings, like when he gave himself a seawater enema to stay hydrated.

Les Stroud was the only genuine survivalist and he had to quit after 35 episodes years because the toll was too much on him. His followup Beyond Survival was him integrating himself with people living in extreme situations and doing what they did for a week.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Oysters are common in most parts of the world.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
If you eat a grub you should kill it by smooshing its head, otherwise it can latch on to the inside of your throat and choke you.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

There's also Korean San Nakji where you either eat live octopus or freshly killed ones so that the suction cups on the tentacles are still active.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Ignimbrite posted:

Aus also has Wichetty grubs, which are another woodgrub that you eat alive.

They taste like almonds.

Pretty sure that people cook them before eating.

Fo3 has a new favorite as of 15:23 on Mar 8, 2015

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Fo3 posted:

Pretty sure that people cook them before eating.

Eh, they're eaten both cooked and raw.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The Australian bush is one step away from being kindling.
Why eat it raw when the materials to make fire are so plenty?

Id say eating it raw is the mark of a bad survivalist :colbert:.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

Bugs are actually really good for you and some of them taste fine too. The problem is trying to make them look appetizing, which is basically impossible.

It also doesn't help that a poo poo load of people are squeamish and think bugs are icky. A lot of them are mostly sugar so they can become candy. Chocolate-covered ants are pretty good.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

This is more "it was just alive and literally got decapitated a second before he drinks out of its neck wound" but I wasn't aware this was a thing until now. It's some Japanese fisherman and a turtle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AMkIEANc00

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Turtle blood and meat is purported to be really good for stamina in the bedroom which is why people will drink and eat it

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

_____ is purported to be really good for stamina in the bedroom which is why people will drink and eat it

ftfy

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Oysters are common in most parts of the world.

They also don't have legs and mandibles and other pointy bits. I've had crickets and mealworms from a novelty store all cooked up and seasoned like potato chips or peanuts. The crunchy texture is pleasant but having sharp lil insect bits pierce your gums is not.

It reminds me of whole shrimp that a chinese buffet around here serves - lightly breaded and seasoned, pan fried with green onions. Snap it in half, eat the tail meat, then slurp out the liquid gold inside the head. It's amazing, like demiglace or gumbo cooked down to a thick gravy/stew kinda thing.

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

LA beast is a competitive eater/youtuber and a guilty pleasure in a :gonk: sort of way

He does challenges on youtube, stuff like eating whole lemons or 20 year old bottles of collectible sodas https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGwibPdEOVk

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I want to open a bait shop/deli, depending on who walks in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

axolotl farmer posted:

I much prefer Ray Mears to any other 'survivalist' types on TV. I guess I understand why Bear Grylls became so popular but it's mostly stunts while Ray Mears seems to actually try to be sensible and show you the real poo poo. He takes things as they're given and actually seems to try to show how real people in the hard environments he goes to live. Far more educational and interesting imo. Ray Mears is a hero, Grylls is a chump.

• Locked thread