Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp
I can understand having two eyes because of stereoscopic vision for depth perception. But two lungs? Two kidneys? Two testicles? Two ovaries? Why only one heart?

BTW I'm a biologist I know what they taught me in school I just want to know what GBS thinks I value your guys' opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
:firstpost:

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
:regd13:

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
onsite backups

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
sometimes you might want to trade one of the things you have for something you don't have

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
it probably helps a lot with balance, since we also have two feet and it'd be kinda hosed if only one side of our body had a lung

cams
Mar 28, 2003

having two hearts would be super hosed up. either they'd both have to be pumping blood together which would result in terrible things if one of them hosed up (doubling the chances of heart fuckups) or one would be pumping and the other would be a backup that slowly atrophies.

but on a macro level, if you know how evolution works the answer to these questions is simple

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i agree OP, two dicks seems a bit excessive, as i rarely have to cum and piss at the same time

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005
idk why girls have two clitorises and I can't even find one :confused:

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

everyone has two hearts god is just holding the other one op it's god, he's love

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

We have two brains.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

i feel like i have to take two shits

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Pretty Cool Name posted:

i feel like i have to take two shits

sry one of those is mine

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

cams posted:

having two hearts would be super hosed up. either they'd both have to be pumping blood together which would result in terrible things if one of them hosed up (doubling the chances of heart fuckups) or one would be pumping and the other would be a backup that slowly atrophies.

but on a macro level, if you know how evolution works the answer to these questions is simple

one goes in, one goes out. both capable of performing both actions. two is one one is none. p sure there are animals with multiple hearts also

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp
How many souls do we have?

edit: Also butts. I'm confused because we have two cheeks but only one butt?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
men have two heads you dumbasses that's why we are obviously better than women jeez

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Its the result of you fusing with your identical twin in the womb.

You freak.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
dinosaurs had a whole bunch of brains apparently, always thought that was cool. want some extra brains chillin in different parts of my body just thinking about stuff

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005
what does the rear end brain think about

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
gently caress you

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

never trust an elf posted:

your posts

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

never trust an elf posted:

nothing; it has poo poo for brains

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Gatekeeper posted:

dinosaurs had a whole bunch of brains apparently, always thought that was cool. want some extra brains chillin in different parts of my body just thinking about stuff

no

Not that a butt brain wouldn't be cool. :D

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005

david... posted:

your posts

you just broke my "bad poster" hymen

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
cuz genetics is lazy and just does a copy&paste to make the second half

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
My guess is that evolutionarily it might be simpler to reproduce bilateral symmetry with two organs on each side as opposed to making everything fit right with one big organ.

Also, if you have two and one fails, you still live and pass on your genes instead of dying because you injured the only one.

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

My guess is that evolutionarily it might be simpler to reproduce bilateral symmetry with two organs on each side as opposed to making everything fit right with one big organ.

Also, if you have two and one fails, you still live and pass on your genes instead of dying because you injured the only one.

that doesn't work when you're im gay

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

Pawn 17 posted:

no

Not that a butt brain wouldn't be cool. :D

um, excuse me, do the words PACIFIC RIM ring a bell??

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Why not just have two hearts that take turns each day.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
op i appreciate this thread

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

i agree OP, two dicks seems a bit excessive, as i rarely have to cum and piss at the same time

thats pretty fuckin sad, imho

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
testicles and ovaries have two of them cause sometimes one of them gets hosed up and the other one can take over the functions to keep you being a viable reproducing organism ready and able to fulfill your evolutionary purpose and make more of you, they are literally the most important organs that exist as far as evolution is concerned

same with lungs and kidneys you can live with only one but not as good

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
why not just be immortal creatures who do not need to rely on weak flesh and organs

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

Zzulu posted:

why not just be immortal creatures who do not need to rely on weak flesh and organs

why not have three of more things? Or ten? Why do fingers and toes get all the deci love

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

We have two butts,

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005
uh I have a cloaca

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Lucky Guy posted:

thats pretty fuckin sad, imho

please do not confuse necessity with volition

Sidecrab
Jul 16, 2012

Blue Train posted:

one goes in, one goes out. both capable of performing both actions. two is one one is none. p sure there are animals with multiple hearts also

Octopodes have 3 hearts

correct pluralizatio BTW!!!!!! its Greek not Latin ok bye

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

Sidecrab posted:

Octopodes have 3 hearts

correct pluralizatio BTW!!!!!! its Greek not Latin ok bye

two ways to say plural octopus!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a hole-y ghost