Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I've always wanted to do a replay of this game (did female human noble warrior my first run, including all DLC), but every time I think about it I just remember a few storyline quests and go uuuuugh.

That being the case, I'm looking forward to how a Dwarf Noble goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Dwarf Noble is the best origin.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I quite like City Elf too. I was feeling sort of eh after Daelish elf origin and dwarf commoner.

Then I did City Elf. And WELP

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

At least it's not Mage... Mage just fucks with the timeline.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I bought this during the Black Friday sale (Origins Ultimate was $5 and DA2 was $10) and I saw the origins and I thought "I always go Dwarf as a starter for these kinds of games, I can be a Noble? gently caress yeah let's do it" and it was definitely worth it :allears: he was male as well and I believe I was playing him more Neutral Good as well, never thought about it until the OP brought it up.

I started a subsequent playthrough on a different machine for killing time at school (since apparently savefiles aren't transferable from one PC to another or something) and decided to go female City Elf and :aaaaa: yeah that was fun and exciting.

Any ways, looking forward to seeing another take on the Dwarf Noble

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

So will you let the thread decide on major decisions or will you just wing-it and make the choice yourself according to a Chaotic Good character?

Also, since you're playing as a female Dwarf, name her Bianca.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Mar 10, 2015

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

SgtSteel91 posted:

This.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

SgtSteel91 posted:

So will you let the thread decide on major decisions or will you just wing-it and make the choice yourself according to a Chaotic Good character?

The thread will vote on all major choices, as most of them aren't so neatly good and evil.

I dunno about Bianca, as the actual Bianca shows up in Inquisition.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Speedball posted:

I think "black powder shotguns" myself. Sadly this setting doesn't have dwarves with guns...

The qunari have access to gunpowder - there's a sidequest involving a dwarf who wants access to it, ironically - but no one ever seems to think of using it for firearms. Or inventing firearms.

ComicsandSlushies
Feb 22, 2013

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

The qunari have access to gunpowder - there's a sidequest involving a dwarf who wants access to it, ironically - but no one ever seems to think of using it for firearms. Or inventing firearms.

I think the Qunari have Cannons at least but I'm guessing the reason they don't have guns is because they have really strict restrictions on who has access to it and no one has thought of using it for smaller weapons.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Inferior posted:

The thread will vote on all major choices, as most of them aren't so neatly good and evil.

I dunno about Bianca, as the actual Bianca shows up in Inquisition.
That's OK, Bianca herself says half the girls in the smith caste are named that :v:

Lokapala
Jan 6, 2013
Ooh, I almost missed this. Jolune was awesomely written so I'm looking forward to your dorf lady interpretation.

SubponticatePoster posted:

That's OK, Bianca herself says half the girls in the smith caste are named that :v:

Exactly. Why would someone from the noble caste give their kid a smith name? :smug:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Oh, nice, TWO Dragon Age games being LPed at the same time. This should be fun.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

PART 2: PARAGONS AND RENEGADES

Deep beneath the Frostback Mountains sits Orzammar, the larger of two known remaining cities in the dwarven world.

Orzammar was once the seat of a major empire connected by tunnels, called Deep Roads, which stretched thousands of miles.

The city now stands alone, cut off from the rest of the dwarven ancestral lands by the darkspawn incursion.

Secure in Orzammar's impregnable construction, the dwarven noble houses continue their centuries-old power struggle.

Assassination and blackmail are commonplace, but the appearance of honor is paramount.

You are the second child of King Endrin of House Aeducan--the ninth Aeducan ruler elected by the noble assembly.

You grew up in a world rife with political intrigue and have struggled against brothers and cousins for honor and prestige.

Today, a feast celebrates your first military commission, the opening move towards real power in the ever-changing game of dwarven politics.

Greetings, my lady. You are dressed and ready. Excellent.

I couldn't find the armor's matching dagger, but I scrounged up a rather fancy longsword.

I'm not a longsword sort of girl, Gorim. They're a bit too... personal.

They are good for waving in the air though. Whilst shouting something heroic.

Which reminds me, do you wish to wear your shield to the noble's feast?

Better safe than sorry. Shield me.

You sure that's all you want me to do to you?

You, my friend, are ridiculous.

One can't take all this marching about and speech-making too seriously.

So you've decided to get drunk. I like it. Shows initiative.

Moving on to the business at hand... The King expects you to make an appearance, but there's no rush.

The noble family heads will spend hours boring your father with petitions and petty grievances.

What sort of grievances?

The usual. “This lord had my cousin killed,” “This lord seduced my wife,” “This lord did the exact same thing I'd planned to do to him, but he did it first.”

They pose and bluster and each pretends he is the honorable man in a den of thieves and assassins.

You haven't grown cynical, have you Gorim?

Bah. The rest is worth seeing, though.

As part of the celebrations, permits have been auctioned off to members of the Merchant Caste who wish to sell wares in the Diamond Quarter.

Lord Harrowmont has also opened up the Provings for young warriors to test their mettle before tomorrow's battle.

Rumor has it that Harrowmont hopes you'll be swept off your feet if a well-placed young nobleman wins the Proving in your honor.

I could use a little sweeping off my feet.

Then shall we go watch nobles flail at each other?

What could be finer? Let's head over to the Provings.

With you as always, my lady. The day is ours until the feast.

[Welcome to Dragon Age! Our noble lady archer Bianca starts with loyal goon Gorim as her first party member. He's a tanky fighter, there to get hit and hit back hard.

That orange stuff is flowing magma by the way.]

I will never understand why father felt the need to install a lava powered heating system.

It does keep the place warm.

Orzammar is a mile underground, everyone wears armor all the time, and, oh yeah: there's a volcano outside. We could stand to be a little less warm.

[There's few things to poke at in your room to unlock Codex entries (see the end of the post). You can also grab some basic gear from this chest.]

[You can examine items to get some information, or maybe a bit of lore, if it's a rare item. Or sometimes just a funny comment.]

:downs:

My Lord Bhelen?

No?

How mysterious.

I... I'm sorry, I thought you were Prince Bhelen coming down the hall. I... forgive me.

Who are you?

She's... er... it seems she's one of your brother Bhelen's newest... um, companions.

Yes, thanks Gorim. I do know what sex is.

Prince Bhelen is attending the feast being held in Lady Aeducan's honor.

Yes, of... of course. It was presumptuous of me to think that he would return to--I am sorry.

I will show myself out, with your leave, my lady.

Go or stay, I don't care.

Thank you. I will go now.

Well, that was just sad.

Hmm?

Man, where does Bhelen find these women? Is there a club for the terminally stupid somewhere in Orzammar?

Sure. It's called the Assembly.

...You've been waiting to use that line, haven't you?

It was a punchline in search of a joke. Much like the Assembly itself.

THE DIAMOND QUARTER...

Ah, Orzammar. The City That Never Sleeps And Also Constantly Smells Like Burning Hair.

Shall we look at the merchant stalls?

Lay on, Macdwarf.

It's in the records. There's nothing I can do!

?

Please, Master Vollney, my work is accredited by the shaper!

These books are lies written by the enemies of House Vollney.

I write only what I find in the ancient records!

Lady Aeducan! You can vouch for my work, can't you?

Your father loved my “History of Aeducan: Paragon, King, Peacemaker!”

Wha--? What's going on here?

This worm has written a book that slanders my house!

What does it say? Is it erotic?

It doesn't matter! It's all lies!

What exactly has he written, Bruntin?

He says that Vollney--the Paragon who founded my house, known throughout the world as the greatest of men--was a fraud!

N-not precisely.

When the Assembly names a Paragon, that man or woman is then, by definition, everything one can aspire to be in the world.

They form their own noble houses, and are revered as living ancestors.

Oh, so that's what a Paragon is. Glad you explained it. It's not like I hear about my glorious ancestor literally every day of my life.

Ahem. Yes. But Paragons start off as men. O-or women!

Vollney was more than a man!

Which one was Paragon Vollney again?

He invented the aglet.

Huh. You learn something new every day.

Why is Bruntin so angry?

Vollney became a Paragon by the narrowest margin in history--one vote. A vote mired in rumors of intimidation, intrigue and outright bribery.

Who'd have thought aglets were so controversial?

The records of that vote are kept in the Shaperate and are a matter of fact.

Not liking history doesn't make it any less true.

Uggghhhh... It is way too early in the day to be dealing with a debate like this.

It's 3pm.

Shut up, Gorim.

Look, the scholar is right.

You're taking his side? What if he published a book like this about your Paragon Aeducan?

The truth is more important than your pride.

You would not say so if it was your house, but I shall respect your wishes. For now.

That fool has no idea how weak his house is or how low he sits in it.

Shall I have him killed, my lady?

What do you think, scholar?

Well... historically it has been prudent to eliminate a small threat before it becomes large.

Yeah, but... I'm not that prudent. Let the poor fool live.

As you say.

You've shown House Aeducan a friend to research, history and the glory of our people.

It was mostly to put Bruntin in his place.

Whatever the motivation, you did a wonderful service for me this day.

Now I must try to make sense of these notes.

Good day, your Highness, and thank you.

Quite, quite...

Have you head about tomorrow's assault on the darkspawn burrows?

Who hasn't?

They're going to strike a blow at the horde, but rumor has it they are actually searching for Branka.

The Paragon? Why search? The ancestors have risen her up to join them.

You don't think she's still out there?

Impossible...

Nobody's told me we'll be searching for Branka, and I'm the one in charge. Supposedly.

Maybe your brothers would know.

I would prefer to avoid my bro--Oh, sh--

Atrast vala, big sister! How surprising to run into you out among the common folk.

Especially since duty requires that you attend our king father at the feast today.

Have you so little respect for him to disregard his wishes on a day set aside for you?

Lord Harrowmont told me we wouldn't be needed for hours at least--

Silence! If I want the opinion of my sibling's second, I will ask for it.

Yes, your Highness.

Don't speak to Gorim like that.

I speak to lower houses and castes as they should be spoken to. Now do as I say.

Keep barking orders. I'm sure I'll care someday.

Your lack of a sense of duty to your house is obvious. I can't imagine why you are receiving a commission.

I expect after tomorrow I'll spend much time apologizing to the heads of the noble houses for the deaths of their children under your incompetent command.

That's a bit harsh, isn't it, Trian?

As heir to the throne, it is my duty to impart wisdom and judgement upon those who need it.

Now then, you, get to the feast!

It's cute how you think you can order me around.

I'd advise you to watch that tongue, dear sibling. Father will not live forever.

Come, Bhelen.

That was fun. Nothing like being talked down to by the next king.

Ignore him. It's my day, not his.

That it is. Let's get back to enjoying it, shall we?

NEXT TIME: Let's get ready to rrrrrrrrrumble!!!

NEW CODEX CONTENT:
The City of Orzammar
Dwarven Faith

Inferior fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 2, 2019

Zanziabar
Oct 31, 2010
Thoroughly enjoyable update. Dare I ask why we did not ask for compensation for siding with a scholar of all people over a noble?

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

We're rich, what do we need pocket change from some scholar for?

thejoshie
May 3, 2013
Oh yeah, I'm going to enjoy reading through this.

Zanziabar posted:

Thoroughly enjoyable update. Dare I ask why we did not ask for compensation for siding with a scholar of all people over a noble?

We're Chaotic Good, remember? We could care less about personal gain, especially if it's a burden for the innocent (the scholar did nothing wrong, he was just doing his job).

There are some choices down the line that have in interesting consequences for being Chaotic Good (though some won't matter since we're picking those choices probably). Those moments will be interesting.

Also, that's a cute looking dwarf, though I suspect she's one of the defaults. :p

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

her hair's not red, she's not a true dorf :reject:

Also, why do I feel like we should've had a vote for a name, especially based off the fun surnames that were had in the TOR threads. Still liking the writing so far, and boy you better be doing what everyone should do at the Proving

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
You're not a true dwarf noble if you're not abusing your position for power and wealth.

thejoshie
May 3, 2013

Aces High posted:

boy you better be doing what everyone should do at the Proving

...die with honor? :p

Zanziabar
Oct 31, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

You're not a true dwarf noble if you're not abusing your position for power and wealth.

This, a thousand times this.

thejoshie posted:

We're Chaotic Good, remember? We could care less about personal gain, especially if it's a burden for the innocent (the scholar did nothing wrong, he was just doing his job).

Yeah, we'll always do good but it helps to be rewarded for doing the right thing. :colbert:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Disappointed that you're not making Gorim run around in his underwear. I hope you'll at least remember to take all his stuff before he leaves the party.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm not terribly impressed with Bioware's world building but I really liked the dwarven section of the game. It has great visuals. The magma flowing everywhere might not be practical but it sure looks cool. All it needs is a ton of cats aimlessly wandering around and it would be just like a Dwarf Fortress.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Zanziabar posted:

Dare I ask why we did not ask for compensation for siding with a scholar of all people over a noble?
The canon reason is that we are good and also rich already. The real reason is that I'd forgotten how much money he gives you, and assumed it would just be chump change. He actually gives you 3 gold coins, which is a lot for the early game. Seriously, where did a scholar get so much cash?

Aces High posted:

Also, why do I feel like we should've had a vote for a name, especially based off the fun surnames that were had in the TOR threads.
I didn't want to go overboard with the votes early on. If Bianca's good enough for a crossbow, it's good enough for us.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Inferior posted:

The canon reason is that we are good and also rich already. The real reason is that I'd forgotten how much money he gives you, and assumed it would just be chump change. He actually gives you 3 gold coins, which is a lot for the early game. Seriously, where did a scholar get so much cash?

From another noble family that wanted to fabricate some dirt against their rivals?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Right, so dwarves. They're easily the only remotely interesting part of this setting simply because their fundamental conflict is actually addressed by the plot. Orzammar is the one place where you can actually do poo poo that matters and isn't painfully simple morality-wise.
If the rest of the world received as much thought and attention as the dwarven affairs, it'd be a great game. As such, it's mediocre.
also commoner is the cooler origin

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Orlais does get a decent amount of fleshing out in Inquisition, but overall I'd say that the Dwarves are the most alien of the new races that feels genuinely unique.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Inferior posted:

Yeah, that's one of the reasons that the Dwarf Noble origin is someone "game breaking." 3 gold at the very beginning of the game is huge; like, you're usually scrabbling for a few handfuls of copper, and getting a few silvers is great.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole.

Schwartzcough posted:

Surely you mean, making ridiculous demands and sentencing dwarves to be hammered? :v:

Zanziabar
Oct 31, 2010

my dad posted:

From another noble family that wanted to fabricate some dirt against their rivals?

I think this is probably the closest reason as to why he would have so much coin on him during the early game. He could be a scholar of reknown and probably highly paid for his work. As I recall, there's an even greater potential for cash in this particular origin. I'll say no more however. drat you Spoiler Free Zone!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Internet Kraken, you should know full well that a proper developed Dwarf Fortress operates heavily on Magma.

Patch90
May 2, 2013
So many games do a half assed job of making Dwarves a throwaway race, I love that Bioware gives them a political rich poor divide to stave off the tired anti-semitic stereotype the race has in other forms of media.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, that's one of the reasons that the Dwarf Noble origin is someone "game breaking." 3 gold at the very beginning of the game is huge; like, you're usually scrabbling for a few handfuls of copper, and getting a few silvers is great.

3 gold is a start for the Dwarf Noble Origin.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.

Poil posted:

I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole.

Surely you mean, making ridiculous demands and sentencing dwarves to be hammered? :v:

Diggy diggy hole~

I've only played City elf and Human noble before (lost my game to one of my brothers who lost it to a crazy ex-housemate >.<; ) but I rather enjoyed both of them. That said, I'm looking forward to seeing how the Dwarf noble falls out. I think it was actually really cool that they didn't just do the thing that most games using alternate origins do - basically just give you the goods you get from that origin and start you in the same place no matter where you came from. The devs actually took the time to make different stories based on the origins and that is hella cool. It's very appreciated.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

PART 3: BIANCAMANIA'S RUNNING WILD

Previously posted:

It's a special day! Bianca Aeducan, daughter of the dwarven king, is being rewarded with a military commission and a feast in her honor. Pity her older brother, Trian, is such an rear end in a top hat. And he's the heir to throne, which may be a problem later...

Talking to Trian always puts me in a bad mood.

How about some retail therapy?

My Lady Aeducan!

You honor me by visiting my humble booth. May I show you my wares?

You have something I might want?

All ladies love a bit of silk, do they not?

Lady Aeducan is a warrior. Born of steel and bred for battle.

You make me sound like a bronto, Gorim.

A thousand pardons. Please forgive me, your Highness.

This looks to be mostly fabrics from the human lands.

These merchants form alliances with those who have abandoned our ways to live on the surface.

It's nice to have such pretty things.

:sigh: If it can't be used to polish my shield, what good is it?

Actually, silk is excellent for polis--

[The strained relations between Orzammar dwarves and surface dwarves will come up a few times during the game. Put simply, as soon as you see the sky you no longer count as a proper dwarf.

Despite this, Orzammar still carries out a great deal of trade with the human kingdoms via surface dwarf proxies. This is due to the magical force known as “hypocrisy”, which will be a running theme in Dragon Age.]

[Dwarven proportions look really weird sometimes.]

Greetings, my lady. May I say you look striking today?

You may. More than once, if you want.

Is this your paramour? He wears both his vambraces... unmarried and eligible.

I'm flattered, ladies, but I'm not a noble. I'm a knight of the Warrior Caste.

Warrior Caste isn't bad...

Teli, we didn't pay gold for these permits to take Warrior Caste.

I guess you're right. Sorry, ser.

What's going on here?

They're noble hunters, my lady.

Ah. The most dangerous game.

Because a man takes his caste from his father, they hope to bear a noble lord's son.

If a noble hunter succeeds, she is raised up to join the house as a concubine to care for her son.

It brings new swords to a house, so many nobles look favorably on such women.

I bet they do.

Well, men will be men. Even your brother Bhelen has had his dalliances.

I know. I have the bedroom next to his.

Perhaps you could tell him we're here?

Teli, mind your manners.

I'll think about it.

My lady is kind and generous beyond her duty.

At least one brother will like me.

[If you're a male dwarf you can have a threesome with the two noble hunters, and get one of them pregnant in the process. Oops.]

Greetings, my Lady Aeducan.

I am... so honored to have you visit my booth. I have a... proposition, but I dared not approach.

Yet you dare now?

Gorim. Try to be more friendly.

Grr... Very well, then. Speak.

Um, yes, just so. Here is the thing. What I mean to say is...

Spit it out!

*JAZZ HANDS*

Sorry. So nervous. I had a dagger made. For you. As a gift for your first command.

I, uh, sent a messenger to deliver the dagger to you.

Prince Trian had him thrown out. I don't know what offence he caused, but I had him beaten severely.

The messenger, not Prince Trian that is.

I-I-I would never have Prince Trian beaten severely!

Um.

I'm sure Trian had his reasons. Stupid ones, no doubt.

Won't you at least look at the dagger?

I'll take a look, but no promises.

Of course! A thousand thanks to you.

This... is an amazing piece merchant.

You do me much honor, ser. The blade has been crafted over a period of two years by masters of every art.

I wish to bless the Lady's first command, and hope that someday, when she rules, she will wear it.

Trian is heir. He will rule when King Endrin returns to the Stone.

If the Assembly wills it. Forgive me, ser, but whispers say the second child of Endrin will be chosen.

Whispers?

Whispers, indeed. It's a princely gift... If Trian recognizes it, though, it may send the wrong message.

Or the right one, depending on your point of view.

drat what Trian thinks, I'll take it.

Thank you! You bring uncountable honor to me.

What he means is that you'll bring uncountable gold to him if you wear that piece in public.

It's still a nice gift though. And it pisses off Trian, which is the important thing...

Wait a minute. This isn't even dwarven!

At least you can sell it for a few silvers.

Anyone else need a royal recommendation? What about you?

Oh, Lady Aeducan! Here! In my booth!

I am so... *faints*

He fainted. You make quite the impression these days.

Tell me about it. I'm thinking I need to use a different perfume.

Is it hard to be the king's child, never able to just blend in?

Sometimes.

It's the price of power, I suppose.

Shall we move along?

My lady. Are you heading to the Proving Arena?

:stonk:

My lady? The Proving?

...I was considering it.

We have been charged with the task of escorting you to the Proving Grounds.

I clean forgot about that. Forgive me, I should have informed you sooner.

The King decided you are not to travel through the commons unguarded.

What? Why?

I did mention the merchants that won permits to show their goods in the Diamond Quarter?

There were only so many permits auctioned off, and quite a few were turned away.

Your father fears you will be harassed on the way to the Proving

[and Bioware didn't want to have to redo all of Orzammar for just this prologue section.]

This is silly, but I will comply.

Will we be leaving then?

:stonklol: Ahem. Yes.

:reject: We are at your command.

TO THE PROVING!

:black101:

blaaargh

*CHEER!*

Your Highness, it is an honor to have you here.

Have you come to watch these brave warriors do battle in your honor?

No, I've come to fight.

Your Highness, this Proving is in your honor...

Then honor her by doing as she says. Lady Aeducan will fight in this proving.

I need a good workout before tomorrow's battle. A little stress relief too.

Of course, it is well within your rights.

[We don't have to fight, but it gets us a nice item if we do. We could choose instead to spectate. We'd end up chatting with a guy who tells us about what happened in the Dwarf Commoner story.

This is another thing; the other Origins all “happen”, even if we don't play them. We'll hear rumors about what happened to the other potential player characters throughout. Long story short- they're all dead, which is why we're the hero.]

Men and women of Orzammar, we have a late entry to these Provings, held on the eve of battle for the honor of House Aeducan.

I give you... the Lady Aeducan, herself!

*CHEER!*

Are you ready for your first match?

Of course.

Then let us begin!

This is a glory Proving, fought under the watchful eyes of the Paragons of Orzammar for the honor of House Aeducan.

Lady Aeducan will fight Aller Bemot, youngest son of Lord Bemot!

[Bemot is pronounced exactly the same as... well.]

You honor me with this match.

I'll honor you upside the head.

...Wha--?

First warrior to fall Is vanquished. Fight!

[Fightin' time! At the moment I have precisely one combat skill (or “talent” to use the DA name). It is “Dirty Fighting”, which all rogues get by default. Dirty Fighting is a cheap, short duration stun, and comes in pretty handy for the early game.]

[At the start of the game you get two free talent points, which I could have used to buy some flashier attack abilities. It would've saved me from just standing here plinking away at Bemot's armor like a chump.

Instead I used my points to improve Bianca's lock-picking, and to give her the ability to use a bow in melee combat without being penalised. Both useful, but man these fights took a while.]

Aaargh!

The winner is Lady Aeducan!

That was quite a fight. Aller Bemot is no slouch with that hammer.

Are you ready for your next opponent?

Who is my next opponent?

Adal Helmi. Another female warrior, and a tenacious fighter.

Good. It will be an interesting fight.

Excellent! Let us go.

This is a glory Proving, fought under the watchful eyes of the Paragons of Orzammar for the honor of House Aeducan.

Lady Aeducan will fight Adal Helmi, eldest daughter of Lady Helmi!

You are my inspiration, your Highness, and to all of us who follow your example and live by the sword.

Thank you. I am amazing.

First warrior to fall is vanquished. Fight!

[Adal uses a Fighter “Warrior” talent called Precise Striking, which slows her attack rate but increase her accuracy and critical chance. It is unlikely the fight will go on long enough for it to make a difference.]

Gahgh!

That was a crowd-pleaser. I can't remember the last time we had two female warriors of such skill.

Ser Blackstone is your next opponent. Are you ready to face him?

What can you tell me about Ser Blackstone?

One of the best of the Warrior Caste. He achieved glory in close combat assaults in the Deep Roads.

I'm ready to fight.

Then let us begin!

Does he really need to say that same bit every time?

Lady Aeducan will fight Ser Blackstone, Deep Roas squad leader of the Warrior Caste!

This is your education, child. Try to learn as you bleed.

Old men don't frighten me.

First warrior to fall is vanquished. Fight!

[As a Warrior you could beat every enemy in the Proving by hitting the auto-attack and then waiting for them to be ground down.

As a squishier Rogue, occasionally discretion is the better part of valor.]

[None of your enemies have ranged attacks, so use Dirty Fighting – Attack – Run away – Wait for Dirty Fighting to recharge – Repeat as necessary.]

Well done. You have proven that even the best of the Warrior Caste cannot match a noble Aeducan.

Frandlin Ivo is your final opponent. He too has had many victories today.

Are you ready to face him, or will you rest first?

What can you tell me about Franklin Frandlin Ivo?

He is a decorated fighter who prefers unusual weapons and rarely fights with the same techniques twice.

House Ivo is relatively inconsequential, but Frandlin may change that. He's expect to take a full command of his own soon.

Well, let me fight this Franklin Frandlin Ivo.

Very good.

This is a glory Proving, fo--

Skip it!

Hmph. It is down to just two warriors. With backbones of stone and wills of iron, they have defeated all others this day!

Lady Aeducan will fight Frandlin Ivo, second son of Lord Ivo.

You fight well. I wish you glory today and glory tomorrow.

Glory is for the one who can take it.

First warrior to fall is vanquished; the victor is champion. Fight!

[Frandlin does fight with an unusual weapon, he uses a kukri for some reason.]

[The same strategy as before will get you through with no trouble. But, you may be thinking, what happens if you lose? What shame befalls Bianca if she gets whupped in the Proving?]

[You DIE! Mwahahaha!

Yeah, there's no alternate paths if you fail. You just get a game over. Which is odd, because these fights explicitly aren't death matches.]

Urk!

*CHEER!*

Congratulations. Frandlin Ivo is as fierce a competitor as I've ever seen.

You vanquished every warrior of note in today's Proving. The ceremonial helm commissioned by your father for today's winner is yours.

Of course it's mine. :smug:

As you say.

Cha-ching.

Well, you've broken the teeth of half of Orzammar's nobility and scored a new hat into the bargain.

My work here is done.

NEXT TIME: Cheese and whine.

NEW CODEX CONTENT:
Life in Orzammar
The Castes

Inferior fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 27, 2019

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I love winning the hat in this as a rogue because you can't even wear it. It's great.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

it sells for a pretty penny though.

Redoing the Dwarf Noble origin as a Rogue and I am discovering that a) Rogues are unfairly advantaged when it comes to gaining experience (at least early game) and b) you really can get a decent amount of gold compared to the other origins (if you know about it, of course)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The dwarves get the best origins. They do pay for it later, though.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Inferior posted:

[You DIE! Mwahahaha!

Yeah, there's no alternate paths if you fail. You just get a game over. Which is odd, because these fights explicitly aren't death matches.]

Possibly your defeat and serious injury derails events enough that the Dwarf Noble can't become further involved in the story, even though s/he is still alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

TheDavies posted:

Possibly your defeat and serious injury derails events enough that the Dwarf Noble can't become further involved in the story, even though s/he is still alive.
You die! ...of embarrassment.

Aces High posted:

Redoing the Dwarf Noble origin as a Rogue and I am discovering that a) Rogues are unfairly advantaged when it comes to gaining experience (at least early game) and b) you really can get a decent amount of gold compared to the other origins (if you know about it, of course)
Every Origin except Mage has a couple of locked chests containing vendor trash. They seem to be there purely to taunt the players who picked warrior instead of rogue. Still, free money and XP.