Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
For various reasons, game developers seem to design stuff to purposely piss the player off. I'm not talking about when you get mad at something in a game born from incompetence or laziness. I mean when you can tell the developers went out of there way to make one part of their game nothing but a "gently caress you" to the player. Or maybe the whole thing. Recently, I played LISA and it does stuff like this all the time to make you really hate the world you're in. One moment stands out to me though as it goes beyond world building and annoys you on a meta level.

At one point, you see a rope leading up a cliff. If you chose to climb that rope, and you will since you'll think something good is up there, you will quickly discover it is a LONG rope. All you'll see is the same blue sky as you climb up a featureless cliff. After a solid two minutes of climbing, you're probably starting to think the section endlessly repeats itself. But no, if you climb just a bit further you will reach the top of the cliff, only to find the game flipping you off.

Literally. All you see is a middle finger.

So yeah, you just wasted several minutes doing nothing but climbing only to be told to gently caress off. As an added bonus the game refuses to let you commit suicide by jumping off the cliff despite being able to do that everywhere else in the game. You have to either manually restart the game or climb all the way back down the rope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Probably the existence of Crackdown 2.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Forever taking forever to release a bad Forever

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
Starbound

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Metal Gear Solid 2. Also Dark Souls

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VWsq1JXVWY

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Anything in free to play games where it;s clearly been designed to be less fun so you'll buy coins or gems to skip it.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
[game i don't like]

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Matrix: Path of Neo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1XhcSyVr-A (stick with this til at least 3:34)

a bad broken game

Pound_Coin has a new favorite as of 02:19 on Mar 8, 2015

Popeahuntis
Apr 10, 2009

Pound_Coin posted:

a bad broken game

Still better then the sequels

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Pound_Coin posted:

a bad broken game

Hahaha how the hell does this exist? I guess they figured the game would sell on brand alone so it didn't matter what they did with it.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

The ending of Mass Effect 3. It's the loving Lost of the video game world.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
Battletoads :argh:

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
It's been a while but the first thing that came to mind; There's a part in Half Life 2 where you go up a stairwell taking a bunch of right turns and they designed it knowing you'd take a right at the top of the stairs, which ends up with you facing a wall. They also put a poison headcrab to the left so it'd immediately attack you from behind while you're taking a second to stare at the wall. Poison headcrabs make really shrill screams and they drop your health to near 0 but can't actually kill you. So first you get duped and then it scares the poo poo out of you. It's brilliant.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Internet Kraken posted:

Hahaha how the hell does this exist? I guess they figured the game would sell on brand alone so it didn't matter what they did with it.

The game is insanely good and Pound_coin is angry that it did not live up to his favorite movie, The Matrix: Revolutions

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Dangan Ronpa 2 has a couple of great ones. Of the 16 characters, one is a character from the first game except hugely fat, and another seems like an older version of the first game's protagonist under a fake name. The game strings you along about the second character - he's got the same Ultimate Talent as the old protagonist, he's dressed similarly, and he's obsessed with "hope".

Then he goes insane.

The game keeps hinting that maybe it's the same guy, teasing the player with poo poo like admitting that he's been using a false name the whole time and then claiming that he was under the influence of something that makes him lie when he said it. His name has the old protagonists name spelled backwards in it. It goes so far as to even let you play as him during a brief sequence.

But despite all the hints, he turns out to be apparently completely unrelated.

Just when you come to terms with this you find out the other guy, the fat guy, was an imposter too. You meet both the guy the imposter was impersonating and the original main character at the end of the game.

EDIT: I just looked it up and it turns out the guy that keeps getting teased as the protagonist from the first game is actually voiced by the same guy, in both localizations.

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 19:45 on Mar 8, 2015

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

One of the Serious Sam games had a special enemy that only occured if you pirated the game. A super-fast, immortal enemy that pursues you throughout the entire game.

http://youtu.be/e91q5BtlxK0

So when people post a bug-report on the developer forums, they basically troll themselves.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Pondex posted:

One of the Serious Sam games had a special enemy that only occured if you pirated the game. A super-fast, immortal enemy that pursues you throughout the entire game.

http://youtu.be/e91q5BtlxK0

So when people post a bug-report on the developer forums, they basically troll themselves.

Reminds me of this similar incident
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.139753-Arkham-Asylum-Pirates-Get-a-Gimpy-Batman

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

In a Saints Row 4 DLC you have to get into Santa Claus' workshop, whose doors are blocked by a huge candy cane. You're supposed to go somewhere else and find another way in, but you can lick the candy cane and wear it away. You have to keep pressing the button, the progress bar rises excruciatingly slowly (but noticably), and the mission objective popups openly mock you for doing it this way. It takes about ten minutes, and to top it off the whole thing is accompanied by a brief sample of the most godawful ghastly slurping noises the VAs could manage playing over and over.

But the payoff when you finally get to the end... I wouldn't want to spoil the surprise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZKxEhcstYA

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

My Lovely Horse posted:

In a Saints Row 4 DLC you have to get into Santa Claus' workshop, whose doors are blocked by a huge candy cane. You're supposed to go somewhere else and find another way in, but you can lick the candy cane and wear it away. You have to keep pressing the button, the progress bar rises excruciatingly slowly (but noticably), and the mission objective popups openly mock you for doing it this way. It takes about ten minutes, and to top it off the whole thing is accompanied by a brief sample of the most godawful ghastly slurping noises the VAs could manage playing over and over.

But the payoff when you finally get to the end... I wouldn't want to spoil the surprise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZKxEhcstYA

Thats absolutely beautiful

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

The pullups in Mass Effect 3 citadel DLC.

Gruffalo Soldier
Feb 23, 2013

Honky MoFo
Aug 22, 2000

There are some mother fucking snakes on my mother fucking face!
Duke Nukem Forever

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I don't know if nuisance anti-piracy methods count, but Earthbound erasing your save at the final boss fight if your copy isn't legit is definitely a hell of a troll move.

Another edge case I've been seeing more lately is where devs include items that cost a poo poo ton of in-game money (or worse, real money) which you figure will give some sort of benefit, but are purely cosmetic. Don't know if that's trolling or lovely game design.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

This one is great because people still get mad when they see this fucker almost 30 years later.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Dr_Amazing posted:

Anything in free to play games where it;s clearly been designed to be less fun so you'll buy coins or gems to skip it.

same but in non free to play games where it;s clearly been designed to keep you subscribed for as long as possible

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Metal Gear Solid. The part where you have to use this key to disarm nukes or silly nonsense like that, and it has to change shapes by making it really cold and really warm. You basically run back to the freezer halfway disc 2, back to the end of the control room, back to the start of disc 2 to get to the forge, then back to the control room. Approximately 10-15 minutes of running around, possibly more if you forget about those dumb trap doors or that room filled with a hundred wall-mounted guns or so, or if the key changes back to its neutral state because you were too slow.

Then when you finally do it, you discover you activated the very thing you wanted to deactivate. Hope you're ready for a boss fight! loving Kojima.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

So is this just an actual troll or is there a story behind it?

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Kimmalah posted:

So is this just an actual troll or is there a story behind it?

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

I remember Operation Flashpoint having a similar system called FADE, where pirated copies would run fine at first, and then start to really bug out and do weird things. The major issue with this is the fact that the game was generally a buggy mess to start with so it was kind of impossible to distinguish between induced bugs and normal bugs. Add to this the fact that FADE would occasionally kick in even for legit copies and it was generally just a bit of a clusterfuck. At least the Arkham Asylum and Serious Sam guys added an easily identifiable gamebreaking bug as a troll.

arsenicxenon
Aug 9, 2013
Of all the creative DRM, my favorite is Game Dev Tycoon.
If you downloaded a particular cracked version of the game, after a certain point in time in the game had passed, you would receive this message.

"Boss, it seems that while many players play our new game, they steal it by downloading a cracked version rather than buying it legally.
If players don’t buy the games they like, we will sooner or later go bankrupt."

This spawned a lot of great threads on the dev forums by people who are apparently immune to irony

the devs posted this blog post on the subject
http://www.greenheartgames.com/2013...ause-of-piracy/

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Kimmalah posted:

This one is great because people still get mad when they see this fucker almost 30 years later.

I try to spread this info whenever possible: the arcade version lets you shoot the dog. Go get MAME.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

This game:
http://www.scirra.com/arcade/example/8241/orri-the-new-adventures

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
"Hey guys, we think this new 'episodic' approach to gaming will let us release games that are shorter but also have shorter development times. That sounds great to us, so we'll be concluding the story of Half Life 2 over the course of 3 episodes, the first two of which we will end in giant cliffhangers."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Soul Reaver posted:

"Hey guys, we think this new 'episodic' approach to gaming will let us release games that are shorter but also have shorter development times. That sounds great to us, so we'll be concluding the story of Half Life 2 over the course of 3 episodes, the first two of which we will end in giant cliffhangers."
This is a ridiculous strawman. They won't be concluding the story of Half-Life 2.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is a ridiculous strawman. They won't be concluding the story of Half-Life 2.
That might be true now, but in 2007 Doug Lombardi stated that the plan was for Episode Three to 'end the current Half Life 2 story arc'.

EDIT: Holy poo poo that was 8 years ago.

Soul Reaver has a new favorite as of 23:53 on Mar 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.
In Fallout 1, you had to visit a place called the Glow, a military bunker that'd taken a direct hit from a nuke. Naturally, it was very radioactive. The mission objective was to get something that was on the first floor, but if you went all the way to the bottom, you could find the ZAX 1.2, a computer mainframe. The AI was very happy to have someone to talk too after so long, and would challenge the player to games of chess.

Because of a programming error in Fallout, you cannot beat the computer, but every time it will say things like 'You almost got me! Why don't we play again?' or 'That was so close! Another game?'.

Each game took about 2 hours.

This would quickly result in a case of fatal radiation poisoning if you decided to take the machine up on its offer a few times.

• Locked thread