Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Speaking of ADOM, there's this loving thing:

http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/Black_tome_of_Alsophocus

So, for those that haven't played the game, you learn spells by reading books. You have a certain number of points relating to each spell that represents your knowledge. The more you know about a spell the cheaper it is to cast it. The returns are diminishing and this only really matters much when your knowledge is low. Now, every time you cast a spell your knowledge goes down. Most books you'll find drop randomly; casty classes (wizards especially) get way more out of reading than other classes.

Now, if you didn't encounter a book you probably can't cast the spell. This book gives you knowledge in a random spell every time you read it. However, it's very little. Still...it's an artifact! That means it's indestructible! It just hangs around and you can read it at your leisure and learn all the spells slowly, right? Sounds really great if you're not a wizard, right?

loving wrong. This book corrupts you if you're carrying it. It corrupts you even more if you sit down to read it. That's it. This is all it does.

Now, here's another thing...if you make your god happy you can pray for free artifacts and get them. There are certain dungeon features that guarantee you at least one artifact. Sounds pretty good, right? Well there are no easy ways to get random artifacts (some of the guaranteed ones aren't that difficult but are generally mediocre at best) and sometimes you'll get this drat thing instead of something useful. So you put forth all that effort only to find out that you get this pile of garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Lizard Wizard posted:

Dungeons of Dredmor is my personal roguelike-for-babies.

Mine is FTL, if that counts. A lot of fun little random fiddly bits to offer the cleverness and uniqueness that you want from roguelikes, but enough structure and consistency that you never feel screwed.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Speaking of ADOM, there's this loving thing:

http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/Black_tome_of_Alsophocus

So, for those that haven't played the game, you learn spells by reading books. You have a certain number of points relating to each spell that represents your knowledge. The more you know about a spell the cheaper it is to cast it. The returns are diminishing and this only really matters much when your knowledge is low. Now, every time you cast a spell your knowledge goes down. Most books you'll find drop randomly; casty classes (wizards especially) get way more out of reading than other classes.

Now, if you didn't encounter a book you probably can't cast the spell. This book gives you knowledge in a random spell every time you read it. However, it's very little. Still...it's an artifact! That means it's indestructible! It just hangs around and you can read it at your leisure and learn all the spells slowly, right? Sounds really great if you're not a wizard, right?

loving wrong. This book corrupts you if you're carrying it. It corrupts you even more if you sit down to read it. That's it. This is all it does.

Now, here's another thing...if you make your god happy you can pray for free artifacts and get them. There are certain dungeon features that guarantee you at least one artifact. Sounds pretty good, right? Well there are no easy ways to get random artifacts (some of the guaranteed ones aren't that difficult but are generally mediocre at best) and sometimes you'll get this drat thing instead of something useful. So you put forth all that effort only to find out that you get this pile of garbage.

that wiki says you can learn a random spell when you read it

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

that wiki says you can learn a random spell when you read it

It gives you a few points in a random spell every time you read it. However, those few points aren't good for many casts and those casts are going to be hell of expensive. You have to read yourself into chaos goo to get any sort of use out of the thing.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Cleretic posted:

Mine is FTL, if that counts. A lot of fun little random fiddly bits to offer the cleverness and uniqueness that you want from roguelikes, but enough structure and consistency that you never feel screwed.

DoomRL is my fave. A full game is, like, an hour, so you never feel too bad for dying.

And adorable midi doom music. :3:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Gate of Firmament deliberately hides tree monsters among regular trees in the scenery (this isn't a coincidence, pretty much all of the ones I encountered were like this. They're a lot harder to see when you're going the other direction, I specifically sought this one out for screenshot purposes).

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Well, that is where tree monsters have historically tended to hide.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
It'd be weird as gently caress to see a grove of tree monsters chilling inside a factory or sewer, yeah.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Well now i want a game with a factory full of tree monsters that shuffle around a bit until they see you where they then suddenly turn still and you hear one of them say "poo poo, everyone pretend you're a forest"

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Tree monsters hiding in a forest is just too obvious. You gotta be unexpected.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Screaming Idiot posted:

It'd be weird as gently caress to see a grove of tree monsters chilling inside a factory or sewer, yeah.

I don't know, it'd be a good comedy moment to find a bunch of tree monsters somewhere that you would least expect them. Like 12 of them are hanging around a cafe in the desert but they aren't hostile. You're wary at first until you realize they won't actually attack you and you can talk to them.

But all they say is "can't you leave us alone? We're on vacation."

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
That makes me think of how in some Pokemon games (I believe I'm remembering G/S/C era specifically though) where some trainers would also hide in the forest only to pop out once you walked in front of them.

The trainers would be holding a big tree placard of some sort, but it was easily visible in the world. I'm amused thinking about these folks just standing there for hours on end behind a big obvious fake tree sign. And it's probably gotta have eyeholes cut out too so that they can see when someone passes by.

In game you'd be walking in front of this tree bordered by a rectangle then all of a sudden the ! bubble pops up on it. Worth a sensible chuckle.

e: poo poo, this isn't the little things thread

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Realistically if you have enough tree monsters anywhere could be a forest. I want to see that in a game. You visit this small forest town and they're like "the trees weren't always here. They just showed up one day :iiam:" then you go on a genocide spree and it's just an open field that used to be farmland.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

graybook posted:

That makes me think of how in some Pokemon games (I believe I'm remembering G/S/C era specifically though) where some trainers would also hide in the forest only to pop out once you walked in front of them.

The trainers would be holding a big tree placard of some sort, but it was easily visible in the world. I'm amused thinking about these folks just standing there for hours on end behind a big obvious fake tree sign. And it's probably gotta have eyeholes cut out too so that they can see when someone passes by.

In game you'd be walking in front of this tree bordered by a rectangle then all of a sudden the ! bubble pops up on it. Worth a sensible chuckle.

e: poo poo, this isn't the little things thread

That would be the Ninja Boy trainer class, in R/S/E. They hide behind screens that look like this:

It is obvious if you take the time to look, but if you're moving through quickly and not scrutinizing trees they can be a real surprise.

They also hide behind screens that look like rocks in the mountain routes, and in the hills of soot in Route 113.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
In the 3d games they look even more fake.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Like realistically it'd fool nobody, they're only covering one side and often you approach from an uncovered side. Literally only works because of the forced perspective.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

That would be the Ninja Boy trainer class, in R/S/E. They hide behind screens that look like this:

It is obvious if you take the time to look, but if you're moving through quickly and not scrutinizing trees they can be a real surprise.

They also hide behind screens that look like rocks in the mountain routes, and in the hills of soot in Route 113.

Wasn't it also the case that some of the soot piles hid items? If I remember that right, then to take this further into the realm of relevancy for the thread, what you'd see in the world was a pile of grayish-brown soot with some kind of round thing poking out the top. Sometimes it'd be an item, but other times it'd be the shaved-bald head or whatever of a trainer eager to lose to you.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
The Witcher 3 has always had problems with one of its features; the horse the main character rides. She's infamously fussy, hard to control, and susceptible to strange bugs.

The game just recently got its final DLC. There's an obscure quest hidden in the new land that finally lets you confront Roach's oddities in an unexpected way. After you finish the quest, she is finally added to the Character listing, despite being there from the start of the game.

If you want to see what happens, Youtube has you covered. (No idea why Geralt looks like an rear end there, though :v:)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I don't know, it'd be a good comedy moment to find a bunch of tree monsters somewhere that you would least expect them. Like 12 of them are hanging around a cafe in the desert but they aren't hostile. You're wary at first until you realize they won't actually attack you and you can talk to them.

But all they say is "can't you leave us alone? We're on vacation."

Like a reoccurring but ineffectual villlain, you meet the tree mimics in the most unlikely places like a beach or in the middle of a desert. Then at the end of the game there's a side quest to find them all in a forest because finally they realized they look like normal trees.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Remembered something this morning; in the Elder Scrolls Oblivion, you can see end game weaponry inside display cases in some of the guild halls. The cases are behind the hardest lock tier in the game, but with enough patience (or a skeleton key) you can manage to open them pretty early. Only once you do open them, you will find that those sweet weapons are actually labeled as replicas and have garbage stats.

I remember spending a lot of time trying to figure get one of those cases open and then being really annoyed that my glass axe was basically a toy.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

What'd you expect out of an ax made of glass? :v:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Internet Kraken posted:

Remembered something this morning; in the Elder Scrolls Oblivion, you can see end game weaponry inside display cases in some of the guild halls. The cases are behind the hardest lock tier in the game, but with enough patience (or a skeleton key) you can manage to open them pretty early. Only once you do open them, you will find that those sweet weapons are actually labeled as replicas and have garbage stats.

I remember spending a lot of time trying to figure get one of those cases open and then being really annoyed that my glass axe was basically a toy.

I wish Skyrim would do that because instead you go into a fancy building and all their display cases are just full of iron and dwemer stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Screaming Idiot posted:

finalfantasy.txt

• Locked thread