Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

oystertoadfish posted:

if we cant get across the river we turtle until nobel prize winner fritz haber can invent us a murderous gas to help out a lil' bit

Woh woh, spoilers. Right now the only thing on my mind is to line up my little men and have them shoot at each other in orderly, gentlemanly fashion. I won't even concern myself with magical gases or vapors choking to death every Frenchmen on the field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Yup. Advance them men into a spear to push the enemy back while we cross the river, then form up into orderly lines once we're across.

As for the road, I left that open so I could easily shift men across to advance.

then I put my cavalry in the wrong layout. RIP. (they should've been aligned north south along the roadside, so we can gracefully advance across the river. Oh well)

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 12, 2015

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

JosefStalinator posted:

Woh woh, spoilers. Right now the only thing on my mind is to line up my little men and have them shoot at each other in orderly, gentlemanly fashion. I won't even concern myself with magical gases or vapors choking to death every Frenchmen on the field.

Besides the war will be over by Christmas

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Here is your deployment, I've got to go to work, so I'll knock up the final image when I get home, so you get about 9 hours to spot any glaring mistakes! (I've made)

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Grey Hunter posted:

Here is your deployment, I've got to go to work, so I'll knock up the final image when I get home, so you get about 9 hours to spot any glaring mistakes! (I've made)

This looks really good, I'm glad we set up most of our artillery along the river. I'm still afraid the French might deploy close to the river themselves or set up a funnel for us to walk into across the bridge, so this artillery cover should help alleviate that a bit.

I also like our coverage of the hills. I'm still hoping the French assumed we wouldn't put a lot of units to take and keep it lightly defended, allowing us a chance to at least contest it and tie up their dudes.

Now we just wait, and see where the Frenchmen lay. I'll issue a new set of broad directives once we see what waits for us across the river.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011

Grey Hunter posted:

Greeeeeeey!!!!
Even if you haven't seen my second image, you have deployed one of my cavalry companies wrong! It should have gone near the bridge!
Plus, Engineer and MG in the middle of the formation by the river should change places, and the artillery on the riverbank + howitzer are ready to fire.

see: http://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&postid=442634381#post442604355

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Right, so here's the unholy mess that is I and III Korps.

1.Div (green), 2.Div (yellow), 5.Div (red), 6.Div (blue)

I got a little lost with 6.Div and had to guess on where pthighs' units are and how they've been assigned. pthighs, you didn't deploy your cavalry, and you tried to throw in several extra batteries of artillery.

1.Div/2.Reg's heavy howitzers are hanging out with 2.Div.

1.Div/3.Reg has no MG company.

6.Div/4.Reg has no Eng company.

Grey Hunter: First, thank you for doing such a good job with the mishmash we gave you. I have two requests:

• Can you move the I.Korps 15cm howitzers into line behind the 1.Div/2.Reg 7.7cm guns? Maybe move 4.Reg's cavalry out from between 2. and 3.Reg, move 2.Reg's infantry to where the cavalry currently are, and then put the 15cm guns in there.
  • I'd like 3.Reg's MG company placed just north of Division HQ.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Since 6.Div needs to find a place for its engineer company, I have a suggestion:

I've marked 3 locations either near our engineers or near empty space where our engineers could be deployed. I propose that Slaan move his engineers to point C to get them closer to their regimental HQs, and that Crowsbeak's and pthighs' engineers deploy at point B. If we construct bridges at all 3 points, we should have both corps across the river by turn 15.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

dublish posted:

Since 6.Div needs to find a place for its engineer company, I have a suggestion:

I've marked 3 locations either near our engineers or near empty space where our engineers could be deployed. I propose that Slaan move his engineers to point C to get them closer to their regimental HQs, and that Crowsbeak's and pthighs' engineers deploy at point B. If we construct bridges at all 3 points, we should have both corps across the river by turn 15.

That is fine with me.

Grey: Move my 2 engies (5th division, next to B) to C, above. Thanks!

Slaan fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Mar 12, 2015

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Close enough. Only adjustment I'll ask for is to have my bicycles to the left of the Jag company so they can join the cavalry charging.
everyone else can just march to get wherever I want them.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

You know, after doing 1000 or so counters, If I only have to adjust the odd company here and there, I'll be happy.

The setup is always the worst thing about this. its so key, but so boring.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Okay, to give people some more time shake out their units, turn 1 map will be done tomorrow morning. or 12 or so hours.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

It begins. :unsmigghh:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I originally signed up for this, but I don't think I'll be able to keep up with how spergy the mapping is, and anyway I think you've got the OOB all filled up. Since I've read this thread already obviously I will be not be reading the other one.

Gott mitt uns!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

dublish posted:

That's a good plan, and I'd like to ask Grey to place pthighs (Div 6) engineers (which I don't see on the map) as indicated, if it falls within the allowed minor adjustments.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Yes, Grey, 6th division has a single company of engineers in the 4th regiment that I don't see on the map. My original plan was to place them next to dublish's two companies to speed bridge building. Feel free to do that or to place them alongside Crowsbeak's engineers, but please make sure to add them to the map!

Looks pretty good otherwise. Thanks.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Grey Hunter posted:

You know, after doing 1000 or so counters, If I only have to adjust the odd company here and there, I'll be happy.

The setup is always the worst thing about this. its so key, but so boring.

Honestly Grey, when comes time for the turn I won't blame you if some dudes go to the wrong place or don't move because "lines got crossed" or "war is chaos". As long as it's not some pivotal brigade on which the whole battle turns, don't burn yourself out in perfectionism for our sake. It's not realistic for all of our dudes to go to where we want them too anyway!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Definitely, there's no way to even begin describing how confusing this all seems to be to manage. But excuse me if I ask some more questions:

When units move, can they jump to a free spot if there are dudes in the way, or must they have a clear, inch wide path ahead of them? This will be very important as soon as our loving hive of an army begins moving.

Along with the second question, that has been brought up on IRC - can guns shoot over infantry in the direct fire mode?

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 12, 2015

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Final Depoloyments!

The map has been expanded! Panic! Plot! Plan!

Orders Phase

I need this in the following order (a nice spreadsheet I can bookmark would be nice)

Attacking Units MUST move, Defending units CANNOT move!

Division status - Attack or Defend
IF Division is attacking, I need a map of orders for each command unit - This is a line drawn on the map with destinations. I need one for each Regimental unit and the Divisional commander.
IF Division is defending, sit back and pray nuffle is on your side.
Orders for Engineering units

Strategic plans
If you wish to switch a divisions status (attack/defend), then this will have to trickle down through the chain of command. Unless you write your orders saying what a unit is doing on certain turns -
i.e.
Division 1 will attack for three turns attacking Hill 1.
Division 1 will hold hill 1 for three turns
Division 1 will then attack hill 2.

These orders can be interrupted as above, but if the countermanding order does not reach them, they they will continue on plan. Please make it clear if you are using a strategic plan.

EDIT: Please supply maps for the RIGHT/EAST of the map!

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 13, 2015

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Grey Hunter posted:

Final Depoloyments!

The map has been expanded! Panic! Plot! Plan!

Orders Phase

I need this in the following order (a nice spreadsheet I can bookmark would be nice)

Attacking Units MUST move, Defending units CANNOT move!

Division status - Attack or Defend
IF Division is attacking, I need a map of orders for each command unit - This is a line drawn on the map with destinations. I need one for each Regimental unit and the Divisional commander.
IF Division is defending, sit back and pray nuffle is on your side.
Orders for Engineering units

Strategic plans
If you wish to switch a divisions status (attack/defend), then this will have to trickle down through the chain of command. Unless you write your orders saying what a unit is doing on certain turns -
i.e.
Division 1 will attack for three turns attacking Hill 1.
Division 1 will hold hill 1 for three turns
Division 1 will then attack hill 2.

These orders can be interrupted as above, but if the countermanding order does not reach them, they they will continue on plan. Please make it clear if you are using a strategic plan.

EDIT: Please supply maps for the RIGHT/EAST of the map!

Grey, a question - is the only difference between attack and defense the moving option? Or do defenders get a defensive bonus of some kind. And can defenders fire, but not move? (IE artillery barrage)

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Ok, the widening of the map gives IV Korps some options.

We can stick with our original plan of attack (7 Division in the east spearheading the attack, support by 8 Division's artillery and follow-on assault in the west).

Or, we can attempt a flanking move with all or most of 8 Division over the newly-discovered bridge in the west.

This plan is risky. 8 Division could easily lose contact with IV Korps HQ, which greatly increases the odds that the attack will become uncoordinated or uncontrollable.

However, it does offer some promise. The Allies will not have (many) troops in the far west, which means 8 Division will be able to cross the Sombre with little to no resistance. A flanking attack would also allow us to hit Allied troops defending the Glacessui/Butte du Fesse area from two sides (albeit with 8 Division's attack coming into play well after 7 Division is engaged).

I'm leaning towards keeping our original plan and just attacking along the Pont du Mureau and the pontoon bridges, but I'm open to ideas. Thoughts?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

No Recon data on the French?

Oh wait, never mind, I see em. only 3 MG companies. We can totes take em. Planning stance - aggressive is GO.

Oh, also, as was asked in irc, is routing on a per unit basis, or is it for the whole division?

IE if I charge with 2 cav and they get butchered by the other 6 MG teams in Glacessui do just those units have to pass morale checks. Or is it a case of when the whole of 3rd Regiment has sustained 1/3 casualties it has to roll to stick around.

Or is it at a Regimental level?

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Mar 13, 2015

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Veloxyll posted:

No Recon data on the French?

Oh wait, never mind, I see em. only 3 MG companies. We can totes take em. Planning stance - aggressive is GO.

We'll hammer them with artillery and MG fire for the first 1-2 turns. They probably have other troops in Glaucessi proper, but we can thin their lines a little bit right off the bat.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

JosefStalinator posted:

Grey, a question - is the only difference between attack and defense the moving option? Or do defenders get a defensive bonus of some kind. And can defenders fire, but not move? (IE artillery barrage)

Units that have not moved fire first, so they reduce the attacker before the attacker can fire back.

Veloxyll posted:

Oh, also, as was asked in irc, is routing on a per unit basis, or is it for the whole division?

IE if I charge with 2 cav and they get butchered by the other 6 MG teams in Glacessui do just those units have to pass morale checks. Or is it a case of when the whole of 3rd Regiment has sustained 1/3 casualties it has to roll to stick around.

Or is it at a Regimental level?

Routing is on a regimental level.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

We've got better gun coverage on the Glacessui bridge right now, so we might be able to force a crossing here..

Now to add colourd swatches so I can ID units. Thinking Left side for Regiment, Right side for company. it'll make more sense when I post orders shot.

Oh. that reminds me, do enemy units exert zones of control. ie can I ride cavalry behind the MG teams or can they not pass until the MGs break?

Edit: That last line should have read "or is it on a DIVISIONAL level."

looks like I have to try to preserve my pink infantry then.

arrangement is
Korps -> Division -> Regiment -> ??? -> Company

Tonight, now I've painted my units, I will be making dumb names for them and scribbling on them so we can tell who is who.

Before they all die, that is.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Mar 13, 2015

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Grey Hunter posted:

Units that have not moved fire first, so they reduce the attacker before the attacker can fire back.

But can they attack while "defending".

IE: If I order my artillery to "defend" on the river, can they still bombard stuff, just not move?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

JosefStalinator posted:

But can they attack while "defending".

IE: If I order my artillery to "defend" on the river, can they still bombard stuff, just not move?

Yep, units on defend will still fire on what they can see.

Basically, if you attack, you get to move, but the enemy get a round of fire on you, if you defend, you get a round of fire in before the enemy.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Grey Hunter posted:

Yep, units on defend will still fire on what they can see.

Basically, if you attack, you get to move, but the enemy get a round of fire on you, if you defend, you get a round of fire in before the enemy.

This is much clearer, thanks Grey.

Grey Hunter posted:

Routing is on a regimental level.

This is interesting too. What are the thresholds for routing again? Your little blog posts had increments at which units rout. Like 1/4, 1/2, and 2/3 casualties, or something.

If you want to save those mechanics for mystery, that's totally cool, but if you can share it that'd be great. I wanna know just how vulnerable those greenies are.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

JosefStalinator posted:

This is much clearer, thanks Grey.

This is interesting too. What are the thresholds for routing again? Your little blog posts had increments at which units rout. Like 1/4, 1/2, and 2/3 casualties, or something.

If you want to save those mechanics for mystery, that's totally cool, but if you can share it that'd be great. I wanna know just how vulnerable those greenies are.

Veteran - 66% losses
Regular - 50% and 66% losses
Green - 33%, 50% & 66% losses.

If a green regiment takes 50% losses in a turn, it makes 2 tests.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Also, was it meant to be my bicycles (who are to the North of my Division Command), who are on the bridge, rather than 7 Div's horsemans?

working on arranging all my units on a spreadsheet now.
And marking them.

If anyone in the main thread is reading, feel free to suggest nicknames for units (spoilers - I expect to lose at least 2 cavalry companies in the next turn or two)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I don't want to sound nagging or anything, but I don't know how to order units around without knowing about this first:

steinrokkan posted:

When units move, can they jump to a free spot if there are dudes in the way, or must they have a clear, inch wide path ahead of them? This will be very important as soon as our loving hive of an army begins moving.

Along with the second question, that has been brought up on IRC - can guns shoot over infantry in the direct fire mode?

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Could someone with some mapking/graphics design skill create a standardized unit template? I feel like everyone's got their own way of trying to mark their units and it's going to be confusing as hell for Grey to manage.

Something like this:

The color of the square corresponds to the division. Each division (1-8) will have a uniquely colored square.

The color of the border is the regiment. Each regiment (1-4) in a division will have a uniquely colored border.

There are designators inside the square, indicating the Regiment, Battalion, and Company.

So, this example might indicate 2 Division (white square), 1 Regiment (red border), 2 Battalion, 1 Company.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

I don't want to sound nagging or anything, but I don't know how to order units around without knowing about this first:

They need the 1" gap, but it can dogleg a little - as long as there is not a solid line in front of them they should be OK, and I'll move units in an intelligent way to get as many moved as possible.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Orders for I through IV Korps, German army, France
Signed Field Marshall Josef Stalinator

(Someone photoshop a schicklgruber on top of my avatar. Bonus if you include the baton or medals somewhere! I'm talking to you, observer thread!)

Achtung, commanders of the first through fourth Korps! We have spotted the dastardly Frenchmen, and they await us across the River Sombre. They are few in number and ready to be destroyed. Steel yourselves - the path to Paris will be paved with the blood and bones of many, many dead Frenchmen.

Here is our operational map, with my general directives and objectives! Feel free to modify as you see fit, and read your little blurb below:

Blue arrows represent defending (firing without moving), while red arrows represent attacking (moving then firing).

These orders are broad suggestions, but heed the bolded orders, as they are more direct! I leave most of it to your discretion, and will intervene only if I feel it necessary to preserve the integrity of our army and our nation.

I. Korps and III. Korps

First Division: Attack! Go forth and destroy all before you!
Second Division: Attack! Go forth and destroy all before you!
Fifth Division: Attack! Go forth and destroy all before you!
Sixth Division: Attack! Go forth and destroy all before you!

Your orders are somewhat obvious, especially with the French apparently leaving their right flank undefended. Did they fall for our original deception, and deploy Westward? It would be a mixed blessing given the vulnerability of the rookies, but that's not your concern.

Your primary and most crucial directive is to reach Pont Kubrick in the minimum time possible! As soon as the French spot our men, they will rush Eastward, and try to block you. You MUST cross the River Paisne before the French can react, so send in your most mobile units first to screen, and even begin sending in any spare artillery with you to set up a screen facing the hills. I would suggest leaving some on the Western side of the Pont de Dax facing the hills just to provide cover to your men marching south, limited as it may be.

Set up your engineers to facilitate more crossings where you feel it is advantageous. If you can, get some engineers a bit East and you can avoid any problems that might arise from crossing under the look of that hill, but if that's unfeasible, you have full authority to set up elsewhere to ensure you cross with the utmost haste.

For your hill-facing screen, utilize the circled forest for cover. It may help you defensively, and can give you a pivot on which to base your right flank.

I also open up to you the possibility of marching some men further East, as there is another crossing, especially if you're bottlenecked on the bridge. Also feel free to send some men across Pont de Broularde if you desire to resolve your bottle neck, since the French appear to have no forces in that area. Coordinate with II. Korps in this effort, as he may do so as well.

I'm wary that they the French are up in the hills somewhere, since it seems a bit suspect that they wouldn't defend it, but who knows. Could be a trap or a feint. I'd leave your artillery screen facing the hill in tact for the most part, just in case.

You have much operational flexibility here. Use it wisely.

II. Korps

Third Division: Attack! Move forward across the bridge and start moving to flank Coubarbe and scout the hills. Mobile units first.
Fourth Division: Attack! I was torn here because defending is tempting, but you simply need to maneuver. Take the hit from what's pointed at you now (it's all infantry anyway) and then move and attack! Try to line up some of your artillery to pin them down to the south (by Isle de Huit).

II. Korps, I feel you are going to be pivotal in the early stages. You have seen the enemy, and have your sights on them. Yet there are not where we suspected, and appear to have deployed in force further East than our assumptions. Use this to your advantage.

First, forge ahead with your Eastern division across the Pont de Boulard. I would send cavalry first as I'm very wary of that hilltop, but they don't have anyone we can see yet, so might as well start crossing. Maybe you'll get lucky and take the hill, maybe you'll get horribly slaughtered. We gain either a strategic position, or tying up Frenchmen that won't be stopping our crossing of the river Paisne. A win/win, except for your men that die, of course. But such is the price of German pride.

One thing you should do, send mobile units across the Pont de Broulard to scout behind Coubarbe and support your Western division with recon and flanking units. Speed is important here, as it may reveal any more units, their general layout, or if they have a trap ready to spring. Best case, you can even lay some flanking fire on them, and open Coubarbe to warm embrace of the German army.

Your Westmost division is in a tougher position. The enemy likely lay arrayed against you, and you have sight on some. With whatever artillery and ranged units can reach them across the River Sombre, fire on them with prejudice. This includes the men in Coubarbe, where you should begin sending your infantry forward, to secure the critical town of courbarbe for the German Empire.

IV. Korps:

Seventh Division: Defend and lay covering fire on the French across the river.
Eighth Division: Attack, moving in with cavalry and firing on any remaining Frenchmen or newly revealed enemies.

While it may be tempting to charge headlong across the bridge, I have a feeling there are more than just three machine guns there. Remember that you are the reserve korps, and your role in this battle is as a diversion. If you can draw a corps or two away from our main thrust, you are doing your job. But if you fall apart and allow us to be flanked, you have failed the German people.

Your primary order is to screen the enemy with cavalry, and open fire upon those units that are currently visible. Do not advance with the bulk of your armies across the bridge until we have further assessed what waits for you beyond. Pay special attention to the Butte de Fesse - I fear Frenchmen wait for you above.

You will also notice an arrow striking eastward - this cannot harm you to scout, as we may spot any French attempts to flank you, or even just further troop placements.

You are also ordered to rig up the bridge to be blown in four turns. You do not have orders to destroy it yet, simply set up the explosives. Have your engineers focus on this task, and use any extras as you otherwise see fit. We will blow the bridge if we determine the French to be too strong for you to contain.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Mar 13, 2015

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Just a comment on these orders, remember, and ENTIRE DIVISION must be on attack or defend, so you can't just sit your artillery still while moving a few of your infantry regiments. your lighter guns can be pushed forward, so they can move and shoot however.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Revising ordera.

The game begins.

Unit Orders spreadsheet.

Current summary - CHARGE!

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Mar 13, 2015

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Oh. Can I not have the medium guns set up then? Hmm. What about generalised shuffling about to get engineers positioned etc?

because Order is important when trying to cross the bridge. Some units have no locations to move to just yet. Because crossing a bridge is a bit of a clusterfuck at 2 companies a turn.

Or is it more setting a division to ATTACK stance means that we get shot at before we can shoot back? Because I can delay a turn of movement to give the opposing MGs a full volley.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Mar 13, 2015

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Grey Hunter posted:

Just a comment on these orders, remember, and ENTIRE DIVISION must be on attack or defend, so you can't just sit your artillery still while moving a few of your infantry regiments. your lighter guns can be pushed forward, so they can move and shoot however.

Ohh. Well then, that's for the korps and division commanders to determine! I'll edit it in a bit to be clearer on those intentions, but I want to see the lower ranks' take on which divisions attacking/defending would be best for them.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Veloxyll posted:

Oh. Can I not have the medium guns set up then? Hmm. What about generalised shuffling about to get engineers positioned etc?

because Order is important when trying to cross the bridge. Some units have no locations to move to just yet. Because crossing a bridge is a bit of a clusterfuck at 2 companies a turn.

Or is it more setting a division to ATTACK stance means that we get shot at before we can shoot back? Because I can delay a turn of movement to give the opposing MGs a full volley.

I said two companies a time, not a turn - if you can clear the bridge in one turn, then the next lot can move up - I think you're expecting a much greater bottleneck than will occur. I'm not that mean!

I'll allow a bit of shuffling due to having me deploy your units, not doing it yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

oh hmm. So can I put as many units as will fit across the bridge? then yeah, we're much better able to flood the other side of the river.

Time to adjust orders! 8 Div is goin IN.

• Locked thread