Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
Divison 7
You are to deploy as follows:

If you are by any chance unable to read the deplyoment, just say it and it will be fixed ASAP

EDIT:
NEW ORDERS:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3705107&pagenumber=4#post442604355

Jesenjin fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011

Bacarruda posted:

Generalleutnant Jesenjin and Generalleutnant Veloxyll, a runner from IV Korps HQ!

By accomplishing this mission, we will:
1) tie down Allied forces and prevent them from threatening III Korp's advance on Coubarbe and Chemins de Putains,
2) secure a bridgehead and high ground to enable further advances on the Armee's western flank,
3) prevent French attacks from crossing the Pont De Mureau and threatening the Armee's operations.

EXECUTION
To accomplish our mission, we will follow this course of action.

Our initial deployment will be as follows. 7 Division (Jesenjin) will deploy to the immediate west of the Pont de Mureau. 8 Division (Veloxyll), will deploy to the immediate east of this bridge.

7 Division (Jesenjin) will build pontoon bridges to cross the River Sombre. After 8 turns (four hours) have passed, begin crossing the River Sombre using the Pont de Mureau. As your pontoon bridges come online, use them to expedite your crossing (a company-sized pontoon bridge will take 16 turns (8 hours) to build). Starting in Turn 8 the entirety of 7 Division (with the possible exception of some artillery) will cross the pontoon bridges and the Pont de Mureau.

Once you cross the River Sombre, you have two missions. Your primary mission is to secure the Butte du Fesse. I want at least three regiments with artillery support on that ridge. Once pontoon bridges are complete (I suggest you build 2-3 bridges, which will take 32-48 turns), get your engineers on the Butte du Fesse and begin building entrenchments. Your secondary mission is to assist 8 Division in clearing the eastern edge of Glaucessi. Unless otherwise ordered, do not commit more than a regiment to that fight. Once Glaucessi is secured, pull troops out of town and use them to fulfill your mission on the Butte de Fesse.

Questions?

Ser, with all due respect, we are not ready to go in like this! My men are too inexperienced to be of much use as an attacking force against even one French corp, but potentially more. I suggest we use caution and send our cavalry to scout where are the enemies. During that period of time, we ought to defend our side of river's shore, and wait for the bridges to be build. I think that quantity must be used to dislodge any enemy, ie. we ought to build bridges first and then storm them, so we have at least more forces going in in one go, not to have third of our corps in the fray against double their number (if we use optimistic estimate that there will be only one corps of Frenchies in front of us).
Also, you are assuming wrongly that I have two engineers, 8th division has them, so they should build two bridges. My division has heavy artillery.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011

JosefStalinator posted:

I really recommend blowing the bridge in that case, as you force the Frenchmen to sit there ineffectually while the rest of their army is obliterated.

Bacarruda posted:

I don't want to rig the bridge to blow. For one, moving two divisions over a bridges festooned in explosives strikes me as a bad idea. Secondly, I don't expect an Allied attack over the bridge. Thirdly, if we blow the bridge, then any future offensives in the west will have to be made over pontoon bridges. With IV Korps' limited engineering assets, attempting to cross the Sombre without the Pont de Fesse will make things much bloodier, much riskier, and much less likely to succeed.
As for interdicting the French with artillery, I don't have high hopes for success there. They can easily zig south to avoid our guns.
I want IV Korps to attack because it supports the Armee's larger objectives. If we sit defensively on the north bank, the Allies can leave a few troops to keep tabs on us and rush the rest of their force east to counter I, II, and III Korps. If IV Korps attack, we tie down their troops and create confusion about our attentions, forcing the Allies to question where our main effort is (is it in the west? the east? both?). The more chaos we can create, the better.
Just noticed that no-one in IV Korps has deployed on the road. You can deploy your men on the road, if you like. They'll be able to move out even faster that way!

I am against blowing up the bridge as well, as we have the offensive initiative, and the French need only remain on their side of the river.
But also, I am against going on offensive before we either have more intel, or we have more then one crossing (ie. after our brave engineers have built extra crossing). I am more in favor of wait for few turn than advancing with more men, than to advance, and be slaughtered, piece-meal.
And Barracuda, I am aware I can make more bridges, but making them would require extra 8 turns per bridge, while 8th division has two engineer brigades to begin with, and they can build 2 at once. I suggest taking this in account.

E: Until Barracuda finishes his order I am withdrawing my deployment plan. Don't worry Grey, it would remain more or less the same, I would just change positions for few counters.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011

Bacarruda posted:

8 Division will do some recon prior to the main attack.

Are spotter aircraft simulated? I wouldn't mind having a Taube or two!

I think that aircrafts are out of the question before 1915 at the least.
Will post modified orders tonight.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
IV Corps
7th Division
NEW DEPLOYMENT

Men, you are basically to deploy the same, but one Machine gun on the riverbank would exchange position with engineers from the riverbank.
Also Engineers would build bridge over the river.
3rd Regiment Cavalry will advance over the bridge and go toward south east for 4 turns, after they've done this, or if they met contact, they are to return to report what they have seen.

edit: I may be wrong, but I am assuming limbered = ready to fire and unlimbered = ready to move. If I am wrong, I will stress that artillery pieces on riverbank and howitzers are ready to fire, while those with yellow stripes are ready to move.

Jesenjin fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 11, 2015

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011

Grey Hunter posted:

Here is your deployment, I've got to go to work, so I'll knock up the final image when I get home, so you get about 9 hours to spot any glaring mistakes! (I've made)

Greeeeeeey!!!!
Even if you haven't seen my second image, you have deployed one of my cavalry companies wrong! It should have gone near the bridge!
Plus, Engineer and MG in the middle of the formation by the river should change places, and the artillery on the riverbank + howitzer are ready to fire.

see: http://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&postid=442634381#post442604355

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
Generaloberst Barracuda!

I request your permission to prepare detachment of II and IV regiment (purple and cyan regiments) and prepare to advance at the moments notice toward western bridge to secure it. During this turn, I and III regiment will pound the Frenchmen with unlimbered artillery and lone engineer brigade will build a pontoon bridge to be used later at later date!

II regiment: usual make up+cavalry company
IV regiment: usual make up+2 cavalry companies+ light artillery (limbered)

Generalleutnant Jesenjin

Jesenjin fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 13, 2015

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011

Bacarruda posted:

Orders for IV Korps

7 Division (Generaleutnant Jesenjin) will build pontoon bridges to cross the River Sombre, as soon as the game starts. Use your 15cm howitzers, and 7.7cm and 10.5cm field guns to bombard targets in and around Glacessui to support 8 Division's attack. Coordinate with Veloxyll about the targets you will hit. Make sure your MG units are in a good position to hit targets on the far bank that may interfer with 7 or 8 Division's crossing.

As soon as the game starts, send II and IV regiments west to cross the River Sombre using the western bridge. After crossing the river, swing east again and move to take the Butte du Fesse from the flank.

After 12 turns (six hours) have passed, begin sending I and III Regiments over the River Sombre using the Pont de Mureau. As your pontoon bridges come online, use them to expedite your crossing (a company-sized pontoon bridge will take 16 turns (8 hours) to build). Starting in Turn 8, the entirety of 7 Division (with the possible exception of some artillery) will cross the pontoon bridges and the Pont de Mureau.

Once you cross the River Sombre, you have two missions. Your primary mission is to secure the Butte de Fesse. I want at least three regiments with artillery support on that ridge in strong defensive positions by the end of Day 2.

Once pontoon bridges are complete (I suggest you build 2-3 bridges, which will take 32-48 turns), get your engineers on the Butte de Fesse and begin building entrenchments.

Your secondary mission is to assist 8 Division in clearing the eastern edge of Glacessui, should that become nessecary. Unless otherwise ordered, do not commit more than a regiment to that fight. Once Glacessui is secured, pull troops out of town and use them to fulfill your mission on the Butte de Fesse.

Grey, I do as I am ordered.
II and IV regiment are on attack order, while I and III are on defense.
Artillery is ordered to open fire on anything that moves (provided they are ready to do so - ie. only howitzers and artillery on river bank are capable of firing now, every other artillery piece is limbered and ready to move)

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
Grey, I hate to say it... but you gave my division, 7., EXTRA 4 light artillery.
You mixed up my medium artillery with these light artillery pieces. On order map, dark red are mixed up counters, and crossed light artillery are non existent and should be exchange with medium artillery.

My mistake, everything is okay. I haven't assigned one artillery company. All pieces are to remain where you have deployed them Grey Hunter.

Now for the orders:
IV Corps
7. Division

First off, if anything on maps is not visible, I will make a new one with more visible counters.

1st regiment - DEFENSE (yellow markers):
Stay put and bombard the Frenchies with 2 medium artillery pieces on the river and 4 howitzers, as well as with MG fire. Other 2 pieces should move if possible closer to the regiment commander.

2nd regiment - OFFENSE (purple markers):
Charge west and try to get over the bridge! Once over it, charge to take the hill.

3rd regiment - DEFENSE (orange markers)
Stay put and bombard the Frenchies with 8 light artillery pieces, as well as with MG fire. In addition engineers are to start building pontoon bridge in front of them.

4th regiment - OFENSE (cyan markers)
You are to advance and take up our side of the river. Artillery pieces MUST finish on the riverbank, so leave some space for them to move (I am assuming that units cannot go through each other easily)

Generaleutnant Jesenjin

EDIT:
A (attack) and D (defense) on the map just denotes which regiments are on offense and which on defense

Jesenjin fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 16, 2015

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011

Veloxyll posted:

Are you sure on that? I think he gave us a 4th regimental arty of 10.5 cm.

And you have the Divisional Howitzers to boot.

You are indeed correct. I haven't assigned 4 light artillery to no regiment. My mistake.
For ease of calculations, I will assign it to 3rd regiment, and will Edit orders accordingly, but I will use the same map.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011

JosefStalinator posted:

From the desk of Field Marshal Josef Stalinator

Ser, I believe your secretary is an English spy!
He keeps using Field Marshal as your rank instead of patriotic and proper German: Genralfeldmarschall.
I vote we send him into the brig, or whatever else is available.

Generalleutnant Jesenjin

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
IV Corps
7. Division

Men, attention!
You are to continue your orders as laid out in:
Letter containing previous orders.

ALSO, it has come to my attention that for some reason, I HAVEN'T MOVED AT ALL! Staff member, dismantle my armchair, and put it on stretch, we are going to the western most part of this little patch of woods where we currently lounge.
And one of cavalry regiments has moved without order to do so. It belongs to 3rd regiment, and therefore IT HAD TO REMAIN STATIONARY. To avert this mistake, it is to remain where it has started this turn, ie. north of wooded area.
If my orders aren't coherent or are lacking by German high standards, I shall write them again, in greater details.

Generaleutnant Jesenjin

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
IV Corps
7. Division

Men, attention!

You are doing commendably!
You will follow new attack order as on this map:

Green regiment will advance and take up position on the hill and in the forest. Attached orange cavalry will go south and take positions for flanking orders!

Red division will hold until further notice! It artillery pieces WILL MOVE TOWARD BRIDGE, but they are not to obstruct it nor are they to cross the river!

Purple[regiment will move towards bridge and prepare for assault!

Yellow regiment will stay and pound the french artillery with howitzers. (yellow crossed out section is there only for help, ignore it!)

Divisional commander will move toward the bridge as far as possible!

Generaleutnant Jesenjin

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011

Sir, I am out of engineers to rig the bridge or to build pontoon bridge!
I am going to use whole regiment to advance for the time being. One will remain in reserve, and third one will move to more useful assault position.
1st Regiment will remain at he bridge and try to snipe the artillery and give support to the VII Division.

Let's hope our outflanking maneuver works!

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011

Bacarruda posted:

What the hell happened to all our engineers? We had three, now we only have one.

I presume they were killed while trying to build a pontoon bridge sir!
They died for the glory of Kaiserreich, let their death not be in vain!

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
OMG! :magical:
MY WHOLE REGIMENT IS GONE!
PANIIIIIC MODE! :derp:

I am gonna defend with what remaining forces I have left on the bridge.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011

Bacarruda posted:

e: why does 4 Division have Engineers on the south side of the river doing nothing? They could be building bridges!

Whattttt? They shouldn't be any alive.
Plus grey has put howitzer brigade where medium artillery should have been.
It seems I will need to do a hand count before I give any order.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
IV Corps
7. Division

Men, attention!
It has come to my attention that elements of 7th division have resorted to cowardice. I must inform you that they have already been captured and court martial-ed.
If any one of you gets the same idea, I will execute you myself!
Now for the orders:

Artillery from across the river (unit furthest to the west designated with red) will fall back and assume the position to fire at the advancing enemy
Artillery on our side of the river (unit in the east designated with red) will advance forward and assume the position to reign death on any Frenchmen in Glacessui.
Infantry regiment designated in yellow will advance and to the west and assume position designated by yellow rectangular. They are to guard our side of the river.

Generaleutnant Jesenjin

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
IV Corps
7. Division

Men, attention!
It has come to my attention that some of the elements of division haven't even fired a single shot! This must be corrected asap.

Men marked with red, are to move aside and let the heavy artillery rein death upon Frenchmen!
Artillery pieces marked with yellow, WILL MOVE NOW, you already got the order earlier! MOVE ALREADY!
Artillery piece marked with pink, are to fire upon Frenchmen artillery, machine gun and infantry positions (by that priority) they they can see. You were given more or less advice where to fire first with flimsily drawn coordinates.
White line by Pont de Schrodinger will be defensive position for the rest of the division.

Generaleutnant Jesenjin

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
Messenger boy is carrying two letters. One is marked to be delivered to regiment commanders. Second is marked to be delivered to the Corps commander.

1st letter:

IV Corps
7. Division

Men, attention!
I am rather busy with some calculations to be bothered to send you detailed orders. So here are some sketches. I am sure German marvel will be more than enough to get best out of this.

First order of business, which unit is the one designated by yellow color? If it artillery, stay put. Anything else must move back into the wood!
Infantry designated by green (together with respective commanders and MG units) are to take up the position designated by the green blocky thingies.
Artillery designated by red are to go to new positions designated by the red blocky thingies.
Artillery designated by purple on the riverbank are to stay and fire on anything that moves!

Generaleutnant Jesenjin

2nd letter:

Ser,
I am afraid I don't see any way that 8th division will be able to blow out the bridge. They are too far to see smoke signals from flares. Maybe the engineer should blow the Pont the Schrodinger, which could allow my men to advance to Pon de Viagre, and possibly outmaneuver the Frenchmen. I am just suggesting this as a possibility.

Bacarruda posted:

Send 8 Division's engineers to blow the Pont du Varge and to rig

Generaleutnant Jesenjin

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
IV Corps
7. Division

Men, attention!
I know you haven't heard from me in a while, but rest assured, I am having a great time in Amsterdam learning some absolutely amazing stuff. So I hope I will not forget sending you orders again. If this situation happens again, do whatever Barracuda has ordered to be done.
Anyways, your orders are:

Unit marked by green arrows, will move to the area designated in green.
Howitzers marked by purple arrow, will move to the area designated in purple.
Artillery pieces marked by cyan arrow, are to move to the area designated in cyan.
I have a strong felling we are going to be outflanked by north, but I want to remain in Las Vegas for the time being.

Generaleutnant Jesenjin

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011

JosefStalinator posted:

Sorry for the double post, but I want you to see this Jesenjin. If you really want to move some of your artillery from the forest that's fine, but I'd move your purple ones to the forest and set up facing Mureau. It's a very good position with concealment that can fire on Mureau and easily turn around to face the other way if need be, or take out guys across the river. I'd almost be inclined to leave some of the other five artillery there.

I'd also move those four infantry in the forest to give your artillery sight, as Veloxyll claimed that they were yours.

IV Corps
7. Division

Men, attention!
Per new orders you are to do as following:

Blue infantry in Las Vegas, go to northern part of town designated by blue area. Consult with second letter.
Howitzers designated by purple, go to forest and face Schrodinger bridge.
Yellow infantry go the area designated by yellow color.
Green infantry, go to the green area.
Sorry for laconic post, but I am in a rush.

Generaleutnant Jesenjin

2nd letter:

Men, attention!
Per order of superior Barracuda:

Bacarruda posted:

Looks good.

Consider splitting the blue regiment. Half the regiment can defend the NW part of the town and the other half can cover the SW. That way you can have fire hitting any enemies crossing the Pont du Schrodinger AND any coming down
I order Blue infantry to split into two groups. Half will stay and half will go to the northwest of the Las Vegas, as per earlier orders.

Generaleutnant Jesenjin

Jesenjin fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 10, 2015

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
EDIT:
Sorry it seems my computer posted older orders, I put in other tab during the write up of current orders, in sleep mode while I was gone. And I just deleted it.

Jesenjin fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 10, 2015

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
IV Corps
7. Division

Men, attention!
Your orders are:

Unit marked by green arrows, will move to the area designated in green.
Unit marked by yellow arrows, will move to the area designated in yellow.
Artillery pieces marked by cyan arrow, are to move to the area designated in cyan.
Half of the Las Vegas infantry will move to the southern part of the village (marked by blue), while its regimental commander will enter the city (marked in red)

Generaleutnant Jesenjin

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
IV Corps
7. Division

Men, attention!
Your orders are to continues deplyoment as per last order.
If you have reached position, hold until further notice.
Be wary of the possible Allied attack.

Generaleutnant Jesenjin

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
IV Corps
7. Division

Men, attention!

You orders are as following.
Artillery, fire at artillery if you can see them. If not, then fire at closest visible target.
Infantry, prioritize firing at the enemy closest to our artillery. I want my artillery safe to conduct killing!
Infantry designated by blue, go to the blue area.
Infantry designated by green, go to the green area.
Infantry designated by red, go to the red area.

Generaleutnant Jesenjin

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
That was a slaughter fest.
I am very happy with my men's performance.
Bring me more British!
:getin:

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
IV Corps
7. Division

Men, attention!
You are to follow your previous orders.
In the case you have finished your movement orders you will hold you ground.

Generaleutnant Jesenjin

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011

Bacarruda posted:

I'd like you to push your westernmost regiment into Las Vegas to hold down our flank. Jesenjin should be sending a regiment to the Hill 69 forest.

IV Korps HQ will move further west.

More instructions. I will post new/old orders in the morning, depending on what you want from me.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
IV Corps
7. Division

Men, attention!

During day you will resume occupying current position!
Artillery is to prioritize firing on enemy artillery pieces, only fire on advancing infantry/cavalry if there are no other valid targets.

After the sun sets the infantry are to move to the red and blue filled positions, as designated by respective arrows.
Infantry is to screen our precious artillery pieces.

Generaleutnant Jesenjin

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
Um, I have no idea which is which regiment!
Las vegas is one, and I have the other on the hill. Beyond that I don't know my assets.
Will post some orders tonight after midnight.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
IV Corps
7. Division

Men, attention!

As the night falls, there are some new orders.
Infantry marked with blue will go and take up the position behind the guns (marked with blue area).
Artillery marked by red will advance, and if able fire at will.
Most eastern artillery marked with red, will coordinate with 8. Division, and will position itself behind their infantry, so they are not vulnerable to enemy counter-volley.

Generaleutnant Jesenjin

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011

Bacarruda posted:

Remember, infantry can move and shoot in the same turn. Artillery can't.

I'd put the infantry in front of the guns.

Light cannons can shoot the same turn if I remember correctly. Howitzers cannot.
Plus artillery has superior range compared to infantry.

Veloxyll posted:

JE, there are 3-4 squads to the east near Munreau that are yours too I think

I think only artillery is mine. I moved every infantry unit near Las Vegas. Although I think one of the Infantry regiment in the forest (south) is one of my own.
I'll have to give orders for them. But gotta run to work now, will do the orders after I get back home. Hopefully Grey will not finalize orders by then.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
Well, it seems to me that Brits have a pontoon bridge behind Vegas. I'll have to tactically withdraw to the Vegas, and shift more infantry to punish the Brits.
Also, Vegas gives cover that will nullify the advantage of artillery, so it is of utmost imperative for us to get there!

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
IV Corps
7. Division

Men, attention!

We haven't been prudent! We must act.
Soldiers designated by yellow, must run to the Vegas ASAP and set up defensive line inside of the town. You are to hold the line at all cost until reinforcement arrives.
Soldiers designated by cyan, you will fill up the position of front where yellow soldiers were. You will take up position designated by cyan block.
Machine gun crew designated by purple, move to the line and set up for slaughter. I doubt you will see action in next hour, but you never know.
Cannons designated by red, continue with previous orders, ie. move to the new position marked by red fill.
Cannons designated by blue, you will follow 8. division and will set up position behind their defensive line. Wait for further orders after that.

May God be on your side. You will need His help.

Generaleutnant Jesenjin

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011

Bacarruda posted:

Not for IV Korps!

Fourth corps, best corps.

We are best, only by the single hair.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
WHAT?!!!!
HOW THE HELL COULD THEY HAVE FERRIED THIS AMOUNT OF MEN?!
And I am retiring from the fray for the time being. No more men to command.
Will wait for my next commission.

EDIT:
Actually I forgot I have a regiment of artillery to the east.
It's something, but I am relinquishing its command to the 8th with any other remaining infantry.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
I got home too late to get men to command. Well, that is too bad.
Hope there will be at least some men for me to command in case of our attack.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011

The Sandman posted:

Grey, is there any advantage to putting artillery on the high ground? Like increased range or accuracy?

I think I've read somewhere in observers thread that there is increased range for all troops, plus it is more difficult to go up hill for an attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
Any chance my fellow unassigned comrades and I can get a regiment under our command until a better position opens up?

• Locked thread