Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Okay, I'm not quite able to write out comprehensive orders yet, but I did start organizing the rabble.

I've made a spreadsheet here and assigned every goon who's asked for a position.

We currently neeed:

1 Regular French Corps commander and 1 BEF Division commander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kodos666
Dec 17, 2013
Ok, as I said before: I take one of the french corps-artillery formations, gonna hammer these boches into pieces!

EDIT: Damnation, too late, I take the 2nd Division BEF.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Looking carefully at the map, and judging by the route of the road, I suspect that there is another bridge over the Sombre just off the north-eastern corner. (The Pont des Schroedinger, perhaps?) How can we find out whether it's there? If there is, it would be an excellent place for the enemy to cross the river.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Will those who signed up to command allied corps still be in charge of allied corps or should we move to divisional command?

I signed up to lead an allied corps in the orginal thread so if there's still a corps open I'll take charge of HOTLANTA CORPS

HOTLANTA MAN fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 8, 2015

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Will those who signed up to command allied corps still be in charge of allied corps or should we move to divisional command?

I signed up to lead an allied corps in the orginal thread so if there's still a corps open I'll take charge of HOTLANTA CORPS

You're leading the II Corps d'Armee (HOTLANTA CORPS)

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

tatankatonk posted:

You're leading the II Corps d'Armee (HOTLANTA CORPS)

Right on. Phone posting so it's a bit rough reading spreadsheets

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
I added myself to the spreadsheet, hopefully you guys will finish the war before Xmas and I can stay in my chateau/country house or whatever.

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.
Ach, busy day. I guess I'll see you gentlemen when the rest of the British army shows up eh wot.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Hmm, looks like the spreadsheet's filled up. Curse my obsession with modding Fallout: New Vegas!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Generation Internet posted:

Okay, I'm not quite able to write out comprehensive orders yet, but I did start organizing the rabble.

I've made a spreadsheet here and assigned every goon who's asked for a position.

We currently neeed:

1 Regular French Corps commander and 1 BEF Division commander.

That's a pretty spreadsheet.

Anyone know if there are bonus/penalties for not being able to retreat? Putting a regiment onto the Isle de Huit is a temptingly terrible idea.

I'm volunteering my green Corps to hold the center where hopefully we won't have to move much. I think I'd prefer to defend forward, deploying one division in and East of Coubarbe. If we do that, I can deploy my second division on the hill above the town, Chemain des Putains where the elevation will hopefully allow them to provide supporting fire for the first. Right in the center like that we're sure to attract a lot of attention and buy you as much time as you'd like General Generation Internet. Unless, you know, we break and run because there's nobody in my Corps under the age of 50 who needs to shave every day.

Edit: Actually, if I was the Germans I would be very tempted to try and stuff Foret de Krytonne with as much artillery as I could. It's the only decent forward cover and they'd be able to sweep the half the width of the map from there. Do we want to try and get a division in position to charge into the forest?

LLSix fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 9, 2015

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

aw i missed it :(

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Jimmy4400nav posted:

More proposals:

BETA

My amended first plan based on suggestions. The Red line is the skirmish line near the river, the black is the MLR, Green is the reserve and orange is Artillery.

This seems to me like the safest and most effective strategem; however, I would propose moving the right flank of the MLR as far north as Point de Dax, sending those skirmishing forces farther west. There's a high probability the Germans will launch their main attack along Pont de Brouillard in order to capture and fortify Chemins de Putains as soon as possible, as the west exposes them to far too much open ground to concentrate their main force without having a secure flank. Theoretically we could draw them onto the hill then bring the right flank to bear, eventually taking it, facing inward and enveloping their main force.

This would likely make the center and western front of our MLR weaker but that's what we want. iIf the Germans send two corps straight down the center we should be able to cause as many casualties as we can as they cross open terrain, take the right flank, close the trap and bring the reserves to bear before the middle breaks, with the BEF reinforcing as needed whenever they get here.

Essentially Froussairdvillaire and Pont du Dax should be our strongpoints in order to shred the Germans as they cross as much open terrain on the left flank as possible and hopefully overextend, as we exert pressure on the right flank to eventually retake Chemins de Putains and encircle the main German force, like so:

HOTLANTA MAN fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 9, 2015

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Can anyone do a version of that range ruler which works against the full map? Ideally it would be colour-coded between 0-8, 8-12, 12-18 and 18+

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 9, 2015

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Anyone know what the one square of Engineers and 5 squares of Cavalry are good for?

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Gentlemen, it has become clear that war with the Bosche is inevitable. We in the Empire are happy to oblige, and our French allies are eager to repay the humiliation of 1871. I expect every officer in this army to do his utmost to preserve the sovereignty of our nations in the face of German aggression.

CORPS ORDERS

Due to their inherently treacherous nature, the Bosche has claimed the opening moves in our little game. We expect a ferocious assault across the River Sombre imminently. With that in mind, and having taken your suggestions to heart, I am ready to issue initial orders to our Corps commanders. Our strategy revolves around holding the ridges which dominate the surrounding terrain. From these strongpoints we will rain down fire on attacking Germans below and consolidate our forces for a counter-attack once the German disposition becomes more apparent. Divisional placement to fulfill these orders is entirely up to the Corps commanders. In turn, regimental placement is in the hands of the divisional commanders.

Ie Corps, Trin Tragula

- Assume a defensive stance. Your Corps frontage is to extend from Butte du Fesse in the West to Georges Farm in the East. You are to contest any enemy attempt to cross the River Sombre, with particular attention to Pont de Mureau and Isle de Huit. If, however, enemy resistance is found to exceed your capacity to defend, you are to make an orderly, fighting withdrawal as far South as Froussardvillaires and Grappe des Fourtres. At worst, you absolutely must hold at Foret de Boronne and Eniwetock Hill. I have no particular desire to hold the flat ground between the ridges, so do not risk excessive casualties in their defense until you have been pushed so your back is against the high-ground.

IIe Corps, HOTLANTA MAN

- Assume a defensive stance. Your Corps frontage is to extend from Coubarbe in the West to Mange-Pomme in the East. You are to heavily contest any enemy attempt to cross the River Sombre. Your objective is to hold Chemin des Putains for as long as you possibly can. If you cannot sustain a defense of Chemin, you are to pull back to La Fourmiliere and hold at all costs. These ridges are the key to our entire defense.

IIIe Corps, LLSix

- Assume a defensive stance. Your Corps is to remain in reserve in front of La Fourmiliere and prepare a secondary line of defense for our regulars to fall back on. From this position your artillery should be able to contribute to Ie Corps defense of the central plains while ensuring that IIe Corps flank remains secure even if they rout.

B.E.F. Ilanin

- Your Corps will likely arrive along Crapouillot Ridge. Start making plans to advance behind La Foumiliere out of sight of the enemy and prepare a counter-stroke against their movements.

1st Army, Corps Deployment:

If anyone has concerns with this plan, now is the time to bring them to my attention. If anyone's interested, I can post another version of this with divisional markers for the Corps commanders to use.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Orders for IIIe Corps d'Armee
Friends, we have our orders. We are to secure the flanks of second Corps to prevent their encirclement and ensure that any Germans who make it onto Chemin Des Putains pay dearly.

5e Division d'Infanterie Gen.d.d. JcDent, you are to setup your men on the Eastern half of La Fourmiliere. By placing a regiment on each level of the hill, you should be able to get most of them on the line to repulse any assault. You have priority on the hill, so use as much of it as you need. Remember that our cannon have not much greater range than our men's rifles. I recommend placing them alongside the regiment they are to be supporting. You may place no more than half a regiment in Cheri farm to secure your flank. The majority of your guns should be pointing North. I'll be positioning our longest range guns on that NE corner, so they will be under your command, along with another battery of 75s to be positioned at your discretion.

6e Division d' Infanterie Gen.d.d. Terrifying Effigies, I am entrusting our Western Flank to you. I would not be at all surprised if Generation Internet needs us to fill a gap somewhere in the center. Accordingly you may keep a regiment in reserve if you wish. 5e Division d'Infanterie has priority for the hill itself, but I expect there will be some room left for you as well. I expect you to pack the North slope of La Fourmiliere, but you may position any regiments that won't fit at your discretion. Additionally, I am giving you two batteries of 75s to position at your discretion.

Corps assets:

Battery III-1 of 75s - positioned as requested by JcDent, if he doesn't place them, put them with one of the regiments on the first level of the hill (E side facing north)

Battery III-2 of 75s positioned as requested by Terrifying Effigies, if he doesn't place it, put it on the first level of the hill (W side facing north)

Battery III-3 of 75s attached to Corps Reserve Regiment III-6, 66e Régiment d'infanterie "the Fighting Grandpas"

Battery III-4 of 75s smack dab in the middle of La Fourmiliere, first tier in that forest so it has clean LOS, facing north, preferably attached to one of JcDent's regiments

Battery III-5 of 115s & Regimental Engineers. Regimental engineers to dig the 115s in on the NE tip of La Fourmiliere
Corpse Command - I suspect I'll need to be placed here too in order to cover my disposition in the N, position me wherever necessary to keep everything in range. Even if that means I am initially forward of most of my divisions.

Corps Reserve Regiment III-6, 66e Régiment d'infanterie "the Fighting Grandpas" Positioned in Mange Pomme to cover their attached 75s which I hope will have the range to contest any crossing of Dax. Orders to withdraw after the third German turn and follow the road until they reach a point just South of the Eastern tip of La Fourmiliere, there to face ENE along the road and discourage further German advance.

Corps Reserve Regiment III-7, 7e Régiment d'infanterie "the Hungry Hounds" SE side of La Fourmilliere, actually in reserve. Crazy, I know. In column formation so they can traverse the road and reinforce as needed.

Corps Cavalry IIIc - "the Glue Factory" Positioned in the forest South of Pont de Dax with orders to charge and lance down any German forces of less than division strength that successfully cross the river.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 10, 2015

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

I was under the impression that the Brits would arrive from the SW:

Grey Hunter posted:

South/South west.

So from the Eniwetock or Decorum roads - which would work to the plan's favor, since I Corps doesn't have much of a backstop if they have to fall back.

Biggest concern I have as one of the Reserve backstops on Fourmilliere is a German crossing at Mangepomme hitting II and III in the flank and rolling us both up from the east. Might be a good idea for II Corps to keep a regiment or two behind to cover the gap between Putains and Fourmilliere, like this:

edit - guess I'll be taking the brunt of the center then!

Terrifying Effigies fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 9, 2015

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Terrifying Effigies posted:

I was under the impression that the Brits would arrive from the SW:

So from the Eniwetock or Decorum roads - which would work to the plan's favor, since I Corps doesn't have much of a backstop if they have to fall back.

Biggest concern I have as one of the Reserve backstops on Fourmilliere is a German crossing at Mangepomme hitting II and III in the flank and rolling us both up from the east. Might be a good idea for II Corps to keep a regiment or two behind to cover the gap between Putains and Fourmilliere, like this:

Right, I was misreading that as SE in my mind somehow. That's a mixed blessing, because if they came in from behind the ridges the Germans probably wouldn't spot them until they came out from the sides. Disclaimer, I don't actually know anything about spotting mechanics in this game.

I also noticed that Pont Kubrick could be exploited by a German breakout, so that's definitely a concern. Ideally we'll be able to hold Mangepomme to anchor our flank, forcing the Germans to either attack the ridge, funnel through the mid-plains, or try and flank to the East. I should mention that the lines I drew on the map are abstract and by no means hard and fast. I fully expect Corps and Divisional commanders to handle the finer tactical details, deploy forward pickets, and the other essentials of day-to-day military operation.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Orders for IIe Corps d'Armee

We have our orders, HOTLANTA CORPS. We're going to hold this goddamn hill. I expect the brunt of the enemy's Eastern attack to come along the river at points Thesaurus and Broulard, however we will keep a decent sized force facing Dax to stall any enemy push towards Kubrick until reserves can seal the gap.

3e Division d'Infanterie Gen.d.d. Merry Marauder, your orders are to place two regiments immediately south of the town of Coubarbe, on our hill facing roughly North to guard our left flank and cover point Thesaurus, hopefully assisted by elements of 1e Corps to guard the valley if necessary. Concentrate your remaining two regiments on top of our hill directly facing Pont De Broulard (specific placement of battalions/MGs is at your discretion) as we expect the brunt of the enemy attacking the hill to use that crossing. Place your artillery in Bois De Jue to cover that approach but pull them back to La Fourmilliere the moment our line starts to waver. You may place a small detachment in Godemiche farm to keep our left flank secure but do not sacrifice the integrity of our line. Your cavalry should be placed in the general vicinity of Pont de Thesaurus/Pont de Broulard to skirmish and scout Korps movement but pull them back at the first sign of trouble.

4e Division d' Infanterie Gen.d.d. Comrade Koba, your orders in general are to concentrate your full force on our right flank, specifically facing from Pont de Broulard to Pont de Dax. Place one regiment in Cheri farm, with the hill to your left, facing toward Pont de Dax in order to slow down any potential movement on our right flank. Place your artillery at the top of our hill at your discretion but generally facing N/NE. As with 3rd division, be prepared to pull them back as soon as our lines start to waver. MG placements are at your discretion. Your cavalry should be used to harass the Germans as they cross Pont de Dax

Corps assets:

Corps HQ will be dead center of our hill to maximize troop placement ability.

Battery II-1 of 75s - positioned as requested by Merry Marauder, if he doesn't place them, put them in Bois de Jue

Battery II-2 & Battery II-3 of 75s positioned as requested by Koba, if he doesn't place them, place one at the southern tip of Cheri farm facing northeast and one at the Eastern tip of our hill facing North

Battery II-4 of 75s at the western tip of Godemiche farm facing due North

Battery II-5 of 115s & Regimental Engineers. Regimental engineers to dig the 115s in at the top dead center of Chemin des Putains facing N/NW. If the hill starts to fall and the 115s cannot be moved engineers are to hold them to the death.

69e Régiment d'infanterie "Régiment de Fantômes" Positioned in Godemiche Farms, behind the hill facing Northwest

69e Régiment d'infanterie "Mince Espoir" In reserve, Flash Farm facing Pont Kubrick

Corps Cavalry IIc - "The Fighting Sarah Michelle Gellars" Positioned in Coubarbe to screen and watch Pont de Thesaurus. After turn one, Advance to Grappe des Foutres and hold until needed and screen the Westernmost elements of the Corps (where-ever that ends up being).

Best of luck men.

EDIT: recommending we set something up on IRC just in case

HOTLANTA MAN fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 9, 2015

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Can our engineers make trenches or other fortifications, or do we just start 1914 with stand-up fights?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

tatankatonk posted:

Can our engineers make trenches or other fortifications, or do we just start 1914 with stand-up fights?

Can we mine the bridges or towns?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

tatankatonk posted:

I was just coming here to post this -

Engineers

Engineers in this game are combined combat engineers/pioneers.

An engineer company can make 2.5" of entrenchments (foxholes, small trenches and the like) every 4 turns. Barbed wire is placed at 1.4" per 4 turns.

They may also build pontoon bridges, at 16 turns to build a 1 company wide bridge. Every extra unit reduces this time by 2 turns per turn they work, to a minimum of 4 turns.

No mines, but I'll allow demolition of Bridges, with 4 turns needed to prep a bridge. I will then roll when you try and blow it.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Handy reference from what Grey's told us so far:

1 turn = 30 minutes

40 pixels = 1 inch = 80 yards

Map size is 18 x 12 feet = ~9.8 x ~6.5 miles

Current map is 2000 x 1333 pixels => convert to 8640 x 5760 pixels for 'full scale'.

Company units must stay within 16" = 640 pixels of their regimental commander
Regiments must stay within 24" = 960 pixels of their division commander
Divisions must stay within 36" = 1440 pixels of their corps commander
(Guessing that the distance between regiment/division and division/corps is between the command units rather than every individual unit)

Infantry & bikes can move ~8" = 320 pixels per turn
Cavalry can move ~12" = 480 pixels per turn
Limbered guns can move ~8" = 320 pixels per turn

Infantry range = ~8" = 320 pixels
MG range = ~12" = 480 pixels
Artillery = ~18" = 720 pixels

Top row shows infantry/MG/artillery ranges
Bottom row shows regiment/division/corps command ranges

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

For the record, when I wake up tomorrow I'm going to give you some kind of medal or ribbon for that post. We're general officers, we need some chest candy.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Here is a map with my range ruler on it.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

We should definitely blow up Pont Kubrick.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Hotlanta, if you want to try an hold the two Eastern most bridges, I'll loan you my engineers to mine Pont de Dax. I think it's unlikely we'll be able to defend them against serious opposition that long though.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I agree with tatankatonk, I'm not sure Dax is as valuable as blowing Kubrick. You could deploy them to blow Kubrick in case they make a big push down that path and we can't slow them down enough.

I don't mind keeping Dax up. Really my whole strategy RE: Dax is to put a regiment and some piecemeal guns behind hill cover and make an attempted flank not worth the effort while I focus most of my forces on holding the front of the hill, but when HOTLANTA CORPS loses the hill blowing Kubrick will at least allow us to make a more secure retreat South and cut off any sort of German breakout down that road.

HOTLANTA MAN fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Mar 9, 2015

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I'd almost rather allow part of the German forces to push across Kubrik and go gently caress off somewhere we aren't. If we need to secure our rear it will be easier to blow Pabst and let them continue to wander around out of range. I'll leave my engineers where they are for now.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
As I missed out on a position, will there be more units coming in future, or do we wait if anyone drops out?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Comstar posted:

As I missed out on a position, will there be more units coming in future, or do we wait if anyone drops out?

There may be more units, depending on how the battle plays out - I've never done this before, and while I think the situation is fairly balanced, reinforcements are my way of correcting this if I've screwed up. Basically if one side is wiping the floor with the other, then I'll bring on fresh troops.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Anyway, the 2nd Division volunteers for the duty of holding Butte du Fesse/Glacessui.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Right, so I'll hold out until there's an opening, and serve as an armchair staff officer until that happens.

My general advice at this point would be:

- Remember, we're fighting a war of manoeuvre. This can and will eventually change, but as of right now, don't get flanked, and look for openings in the enemy line.
- Don't let them get the high ground. Their artillery will devastate you if, say, they take Chimney of Putins and you're stuck in Hellfire Corner.
- When deploying your defensive line, follow these principles: first, a small picket force, acting as a tripwire to let you know where the enemy is coming from, and hopefully in what numbers. Second, a base line, centred around a defensible location. Third, reserves. Reserves are the single most critical part of your defence. Keep them in the back, far enough to prevent the enemy from engaging them, rather than the other way around, in locations from where they can efficiently either support their assigned sector of the line or be shifted to another in emergency. Use them to react to enemy pushes and to remain flexible. A wise use of reserves allows you to exploit any disadvantages the enemy suffers.

Right, now hop to it and we can all be home for Christmas :wotwot:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Full orders to follow. In the meantime, we wouldn't be generals without some grandiloquent bloviating, so here we go. Your attention is drawn to the section "Defensive Operations".

1er Corps Doctrine

General Principles

1. Messieurs, our national territory is under invasion by a villainous enemy scourge. We must take the strongest possible action to remove him forthwith, and generally give him a damned good thrashing.

2. The Corps will wherever possible aggressively pursue the enemy and take the initiative at all times. We will not react to the enemy. We will force him to respond to our action.

3. We will do so at all times in accordance with the orders of the Army Commander, and in complete co-operation with our brother Corps and our Allies.

4. We shall also act at all times in accordance with the wise principles laid down by M. Sun Tzu, and the learned General Foch.

Offensive Operations

1. The purpose of an offensive operation is to enable the cavalry to effect a breakthrough into the enemy's rear areas.

2. Prior to any battle, divisional cavalry shall conduct reconaissance, harry the enemy's vanguard, and prevent his cavalry from performing those tasks.

3. At the most favourable moment, the enemy shall be assaulted with overwhelming force. We have the best cannon, the best machine guns, and the best men in the world.

4. Artillery shall wherever possible be used to support the infantry by suppressing the enemy's artillery and machine guns, in that order of priority. This assumes that the enemy's infantry has taken effective cover. If the enemy's infantry is obliged not to be in effective cover, the artillery shall of course target them and wreak havoc.

5. The force multiplication offered by machine guns will be leveraged wherever possible. Machine guns shall be concentrated at a vulnerable point and be used to suppress the enemy's machine guns and infantry, in that order of priority. This assumes that the enemy artillery is out of range. If an opportunity presents itself, the enemy artillery shall of course be targeted.

6. With such support, our infantry shall be unimpeded as they engage the enemy directly with vigour and elan, and in this fashion, break his cohesion so that our cavalry may advance and break through into the enemy's rear.

7. When this occurs, our artillery shall then be brought forward to allow the enemy no respite. The artillery shall first allow the infantry and their machine guns to advance; the infantry and their machine guns shall then provide the same service for the artillery.

8. We must at all times advance in concert with our comrades and our allies. We will not allow a lack of caution to leave our flank "in air", and we will not allow excessive caution to restrain us and thereby leave our comrades' flanks "in air".

9. As is obvious, an attack to turn the enemy's flank is to be preferred whenever possible. Frontal attacks shall not be made unless there are no other reasonable options.

Defensive operations

1. The purpose of a defensive operation is to mitigate a temporary advantage possessed by the enemy, prevent him from leveraging that advantage into success at our expense, and in so doing create conditions favourable for us to take the offensive as soon as possible.

2. Prior to the battle, divisional cavalry shall conduct reconaissance, harry the enemy's vanguard, and prevent his cavalry from performing those tasks.

3. The defenders shall establish themselves on the best terrain available to defend nominated positions of strategic and tactical importance. Natural chokepoints shall be exploited to our fullest advantage. Where possible, the principles of a reverse slope defence shall be used.*

4. The enemy must inevitably at some point leave his cover and take to open ground. At that instant, he shall be assaulted with overwhelming force by our artillery. Artillery shall be positioned for defence in such a way as to impede any attempt at counter-battery fire by the enemy.

5. Any enemy infantrymen who enter into range shall additionally be assaulted by machine guns. The function of the machine guns and artillery shall be to destroy the enemy. Our infantry shall defend the machine guns and artillery while they do so. Counter-battery fire shall only be used when defending if it is absolutely necessary to suppress the enemy's guns.

6. Cavalry will remain ready to counter-attack any isolated enemy units who achieve momentary success, or to exploit the enemy should he lose his own cohesion by his failure to attack.

7. At the first possible opportunity, offensive operations will be resumed. Divisional commanders must at all times be alert to opportunities for a counter-attack. They may order such attacks on their own initiative, if they are sure that doing so would not imperil their comrades in accordance with OO point 8.

8. Under no circumstances may a unit retire from its position without explicit permission from Corps Headquarters.

En avant!

Generals, kindly meet one hour before luncheon to discuss your orders so that we may dine without, as the Americans say, "talking shop".

*Grey, does the game model stuff like the effectiveness of reverse slopes?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

1er Corps Orders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc5mFMfUSLs

General principles

1. Our orders from M. le General are as follows. "Assume a defensive stance. Your Corps frontage is to extend from Butte du Fesse in the West to Georges Farm in the East. You are to contest any enemy attempt to cross the River Sombre, with particular attention to Pont de Mureau and Isle de Huit."

2. We shall aggressively carry out these orders by means of the following measures.

2eme Division

1. You shall place the Pont de Mireau (can those dullards who make our maps spell nothing right?) into a state of defence so that it might be used as an effective killing ground for the enemy. Any enemy that even thinks about crossing the bridge shall be assaulted with overwhelming force. No enemy shall be allowed to cross the bridge without first crawling over the dead bodies of his comrades. We shall leave as many bodies as possible on the north bank of the river.

2. Your Division shall establish itself in the vicinity of the Butte du Fesse. You have responsibility for the Butte and Glacessui, extending to a line running due north from the western EASTERN edge of the Bois de CdF.

3. You shall make every effort possible to interdict and interfere with the movement of enemy troops along the Rue des Grognardes (which runs parallel to the Sombre).

4. You shall remain vigilant against the possibility of a flanking manoeuvre via the Pont de Schroedinger to your west.

1ere Division

1. You shall establish yourself to the immediate east of 2eme Division, at Dead Cow and Georges Farms. Your eastern boundary shall be in the vicinity of the GdF-Coubarbes Road. Coordinate with the division on your right to ensure that your dispositions are complementary.

2. You shall make every effort possible to interdict and interfere with the movement of enemy troops along the Rue des Grognardes (which runs parallel to the Sombre).

3. You shall remain most vigilant against the possibility of the dastardly enemy attempting to cross the Sombre near the Ile de Huit, or attempting to cower shamefully in the Foret de Kryptonne.

4. You shall make your dispositions so that you may provide the maximum possible supporting fire to the defenders of the Pont de Mireau and the Pont de Thesaurus.

On the Use of Machine-Guns

1. Your machine-guns are most effective when concentrated together. Deploy them with this in mind.

2. You shall maximise their effectiveness by focusing their fire on the natural chokepoints provided by the bridges over the river.

On the Use of Engineers

1. The priority of all Corps engineers shall be to aid 2eme Division in placing the Pont de Mireau into a state of defence. Our dispositions shall be made so that if at all possible, 1er Division may detach its engineers for this duty.

On the Use of Corps Assets

1. I propose to take nine of our 75s and both the 155s and assign them to 2eme Division for deployment. The remaining three 75s will be retained in a corps reserve with at least one of the corps regiments, their dispositions to be determined after our main Divisional deployment. [See below]

1a. Corps Reserve will be held behind 2eme Division on the Butte du Fesse, as far west and as high as possible. This will allow them to react to events in one of three ways; either to slide west to cover an enemy attack via the Pont du Schroedinger, to head east to cover a retirement towards Froussardvillaires from atop the Butte, or to go into 2eme Division's advanced line as reinforcement. The specifics of their initial positioning are delegated to Commander, 2eme Division; but they should be no more than 10 squares from where they would need to be to fill any of these roles.

1b. Corps Reserve will contain two companies of cavalry, three 75 batteries, and two reserve regiments.

1c. Any decision on the use of Corps Reserve is (ahem) reserved to the Corps Commander.

2. I am willing to entertain suggestions for the immediate deployment of one of our Corps regiments. I am willing to entertain suggestions as to the best use of our cavalry, as long as they are aggressive in nature. See below for deployment and use of Corps cavalry assets.

2a. The cavalry machine-gun company shall be deployed astride the road immediately before the Pont de Mireau. One company of cavalry shall be deployed 6 squares to the left of the cavalry machine-gun. One company of cavalry shall be deployed 6 squares to the right of the cavalry machine gun.

2b. This cavalry force shall engage the enemy until such time as the enemy's strength has been fully ascertained, or it is obvious that they cannot hold their positions without taking serious casualties.

3. Headquarters shall be located in order to best support our deployments. Deployments shall not be arranged to support our desired headquarters location. We shall not sacrifice tactical advantages for the sake of a good billet near Mademoiselle d'Armentieres.

Final remarks

1. You may deploy the men under your command at your absolute discretion, as long as such deployment conforms with these orders and with Corps doctrine.

2. It is always wise to prepare for the worst. In case the enemy should arrive in overwhelming numbers, you should develop a contingency plan to retire to and hold Eniwetok Hill and the Foret de Boronne. However, please remember Defensive Operations point 8.

3. To assist you with visualising the intent of these orders, please see the following image. This is not, repeat not, intended to be in any way prescriptive as to your precise deployments.

4. Our national hymn tells us that the day of glory has arrived. Let the enemy's impure blood water our fields! Vive le France!

En avant!

vvv You saw nothing. vvv

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Mar 12, 2015

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
It's 1er Corps, 1ère Division and 2ème Division, actually. :eng101:

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Ok, 2nd Division will make sure anything crossing that bridge gets dead. Grey, how does LOS for direct-fire artillery work, and how does LOS through urban (or town, I guess) terrain work? If the 75s are on that hill, can they fire over the town at the bridge? Can infantry see out of the town?

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
I'm pretty sure the Boche will expect us to occupy the high ground, I do fear their cavalry recon though. I think we should aggressively patrol the open ground between our peaks, maybe use some infantry detachments along with the cav and pull them back when we make contact with the enemy.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

tatankatonk posted:

Ok, 2nd Division will make sure anything crossing that bridge gets dead. Grey, how does LOS for direct-fire artillery work, and how does LOS through urban (or town, I guess) terrain work? If the 75s are on that hill, can they fire over the town at the bridge? Can infantry see out of the town?

LOS will be blocked by towns and woods, no matter what the height. Infantry can see out of the town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

As it is fitting for a reserve officer unexpectedly called up from his high life in a drafty old villa in Somewhere, France, I have prepared some preliminary plans: using drawing untensils provided by the youngest members of the division, my most senior soldiers drew up a plan of deployment.

I Have very little idea how much space my chits take up, if there's any trouble with bunching up, if there's any use from chit of cavalry and so on. The only thing I know that my pack of engineers will have enough time for at least one entrenchment section.

• Locked thread