Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Handy reference from what Grey's told us so far:

1 turn = 30 minutes

40 pixels = 1 inch = 80 yards

Map size is 18 x 12 feet = ~9.8 x ~6.5 miles

Current map is 2000 x 1333 pixels => convert to 8640 x 5760 pixels for 'full scale'.

Company units must stay within 16" = 640 pixels of their regimental commander
Regiments must stay within 24" = 960 pixels of their division commander
Divisions must stay within 36" = 1440 pixels of their corps commander
(Guessing that the distance between regiment/division and division/corps is between the command units rather than every individual unit)

Infantry & bikes can move ~8" = 320 pixels per turn
Cavalry can move ~12" = 480 pixels per turn
Limbered guns can move ~8" = 320 pixels per turn

Infantry range = ~8" = 320 pixels
MG range = ~12" = 480 pixels
Artillery = ~18" = 720 pixels

Top row shows infantry/MG/artillery ranges
Bottom row shows regiment/division/corps command ranges

quote:

Awarded the Distinguished Service Order

Gen. d.d. Terrifying Effigies

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to posting. In the initial arrangements for a defense, which resulted in the preservation of France, as well as during the action and the consolidation after, he displayed marked ability and leadership as well as fearlessness in consolidating intelligence from the forums.

I'm glad to see prompt and precise orders from our Corps commanders. I am especially pleased to see the necessary coordination at the Corps level to ensure we have an unbroken front from West to East. France is in good hands, gentlemen, and I stand by to provide any further coordination or directives you may require.

On a final note, this new piece of intellegence:

quote:

"LOS will be blocked by towns and woods, no matter what the height. Infantry can see out of the town."
Has convinced me of the importance of the urban centers in our area of operations. In particular, Grappe des Fourtres will be a key component in our strategy if we are to dominate the valley from the ridges. I have the utmost confidence in Ire Corps to hold the city and IIIe Corps ability to assist them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Looks good JcDent. I think your regiments are much longer than that. Grey posted an image showing a full regiment in line. I'm at work now, but I'll dig it up when I get a chance.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

I whipped up some quick map-making resources for you lot, these should all be transparent unit markers for most of the units we're dealing with.

That covers our corps and divisions, as well as some generic infantry brigade, cavalry company, engineer company, and artillery regiment markers.

Latest Operational Map

Updated to reflect territorial control and the proper entry of the BEF. Upon arrival, dependant on the situation whenever that may be, the BEF will move to reinforce Ire Corps in Grappe des Fourtres and Froussardville.

Roll20

I've also made a Roll20 campaign with a map we can freely edit at any time and a chat in case anyone needs on the fly strategic advice.

https://app.roll20.net/join/725074/eGNa8Q

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 9, 2015

Kodos666
Dec 17, 2013
marching order
Our cavalry squadron will take the point, followed by our engineers. The first regiment in line will be the 21st West Sussex, followed by the 32nd Northumberland and the 2nd Lincolnshire. The Divisional artillerygroup follows with the HQ, while the 7th Orkney brings up the rear.
Deployment plan
See attachment. The Cavalry will proceed down the road through Grappe the foutresse and set up a forward roadblock along the road facing north. Our engineers will follow directly behind and construct a line of earthworks as well as a more permanent roadblock across the road. As these route leads directly into the very heart of our corps-sector, a breakthrough must be prevented at any costs. The 21st will occupy these positions, while the 32nd secure our right flank, they themselve anchoring their flank against the slopes of the chemin de poutains. The 2nd will cover the area of Georges farm, while the 7th will link up on our left with the 1st division. Division-HQ will take up a position immediate south of Grappe de foutresse, coordinating our defence from there. The divisional artillery group will form a gunline about 200 yards behind our frontline. Once the deployment is completed, Our engineers are to fortify the sector of the 32nd, following by our left flank. Our cavalry will fall back behind Foutresse. Each regiment will deploy two of their battalions forward, together with their complement of Machine-guns, while the infantry-elements of their third battalion will form their tactical reserve.
Artillery useage
Our guns will open fire as soon as german elements overwhelm the french line. Most importantly is the approach towards Grappe de foutresse, as these road is alingned with a french corps-boundary. HE and shrapnel will be used to blunt the german advance, otherwise smoke will be used to screen the deployment of our forces.
Failure instructions
When the integrity of our line is seriously threathened, all forces are to fall back to the south. The 21st will cover our HQ, as well as our artillery in foutresse, the 32nd will cover the road to Hellfire corner, 7th and 2nd will fall back behind the road to frousardsvillaires.

EDIT: Made Image suck less

Kodos666 fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 9, 2015

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Should we make an irc channel for all the little things like figuring out how to edit the map properly?

e: didn't see the roll20, whoops

tatankatonk fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 9, 2015

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

tatankatonk posted:

Should we make an irc channel for all the little things like figuring out how to edit the map properly?

I'm all for it but have no experience with such things. We should set a time and have a war council

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Roll20 chat should do, no?

I'll put on my deployments tomorrow morning (EST).

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The General is respectfully reminded that this cuts both ways. As far as we can tell, the Germans will be similarly affected by line of sight issues. Please bear this in mind when considering your deployments. When doing so, you may also assume that you have the nine 75s and two 155s mentioned in Point 1 of Corps Assets.

Supplement 1 to Orders

On the Use of Corps Assets

Insert the following:

1a. Corps Reserve will be held behind 2eme Division on the Butte du Fesse, as far west and as high as possible. This will allow them to react to events in one of three ways; either to slide west to cover an enemy attack via the Pont du Schroedinger, to head east to cover a retirement towards Froussardvillaires from atop the Butte, or to go into 2eme Division's advanced line as reinforcement. The specifics of their initial positioning are delegated to Commander, 2eme Division; but they should be no more than 10 squares from where they would need to be to fill any of these roles.

1b. Corps Reserve will contain our cavalry (unless either divisional commander can think of a better use for it), three 75 batteries, and two reserve regiments.

1c. Any decision on the use of Corps Reserve is (ahem) reserved to the Corps Commander.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Kodos666 posted:

marching order

This is a bit premature, given that a) your corps commander hasn't issued orders yet and b) we have no idea when the BEF will arrive or what the front-line will look like at that point. That map is also pretty hard to read, it's really badly compressed. I appreciate your enthusiasm, though!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Here's Grey's image of a Regiment with all it's units on the line. Looks to be about half the width of one of these hills. Maybe more like a third if they're shoulder to shoulder.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
If you're on we're having a powwow in the roll20 room

Kodos666
Dec 17, 2013
It's called initiative, damnit :bahgawd:
In my eyes our deployment leaves no other useful position for my division (assuming I get the right flank) when considering the French plans, and having a fixed marching order (i assume my division is trooping through scenic French woods right now) is always a good start.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

LLSix posted:

Here's Grey's image of a Regiment with all it's units on the line. Looks to be about half the width of one of these hills. Maybe more like a third if they're shoulder to shoulder.

I confirmed using the map + ruler Grey posted that the below match for the various weapon and command ranges - the smallest red circle is the same as the regiment posted above.

Also, here's a rough look at how the corps and division AOIs look like right now:

I'm still concerned about the Germans trying for a heavy flank maneuver over Dax to dislodge us from the ridgelines. If III Corps shifts northeast a bit then JcDent can concentrate on defending the Cheri Farm approach, while allowing II Corps to focus more resources on the Thesaurus and Broulard crossings.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Deployment

HQ
Divisional HQ will deploy between the small wooded area and the southern slope near the easternmost end of Chemin de Putains.

Infantry
1ere and 2eme regiments will deploy near the centre of Chemin de Putains, facing northeast. If the enemy tries to cross Pont de Broulard, they will open fire and stop their advance. 3eme Reg. will be deployed near the northeastern end of Cheri Farm. While their line of sight will most likely be blocked by the wooded area to the north, they are to open fire on the enemy if they manage to reach south of these woods, thereby providing fire support for any units inside Mangepommes that might or might not need to make a tactical withdrawal. 4eme Reg. will deploy at the northern side of Mangepommes and be prepared to engage any enemy forces that cross Pont de Dax.

Cavalry
Divisional cavalry will be deployed near the northwestern end of Cheri Farm, directly south of the small woods. As per given orders, they are to engage and harass any enemy units trying to cross Pont de Dax.

Artillery
Two 75mm regiments will deploy near the centre of Chemin de Putains, adjacent to 1ere and 2eme Infantry Reg. They will be set up at the edge of the small forested areas, facing northeast, and supporting any engagement with enemies approaching from that direction. The last regiment will be deployed near the south of Cheri Farm, providing fire support against enemy units trying to approach Mangepommes. The two divisional 75mm regiments that were to be placed at my discretion will be deployed at the easternmost part of Chemin de Putains, near divisional HQ, facing northwest and northeast respectively.

Engineers (not shown because I forgot to put them in before exporting the JPEG)
Divisional engineers will attempt to construct entrenchments for 3eme Infantry Reg., making their positions slightly more defendable.

Tactical Withdrawal

If we are in danger of being overrun from either direction, we will make an orderly withdrawal toward the direction of the northeastern end of the hill south of Chemin de Putains. Infantry units are instructed to make sure the artillery is kept out of reach of the enemy, while heroically advancing toward the rear (hopefully supported by the reserve).

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Deployment for 1e Division d'Infanterie

Infantry: Weill deployed near the river, with one regiment facing near the Ponte de Thesaurus, ready to assist any regiments in the city. The other three will face near Isle de Huit,to repulse any German incursion from across the river. All units will fire if they see the enemy.

Artillery Will be deployed in the fork in the road. The two firther batteries will focus again on any Germans coming from across the river or the woods. The rightmost battery will fire on the crossing if it sees any German units.

Cavalry Will be deployed on the west portion of George's Farm. Their orders are to either assist the crossing at Mureau if the Germans start to break through, or will hunt down German units as they cross the river near the Isle.

Engineers Will be deployed in front of Grappe des Fourtres and will be Constructing Fortifications

HQ will be deployed between Georges and Goldschmidts farm.

Tactical Withdrawl: In the event of a German break through, the Infantry are to buy as much time as possible for the artillary to retreat. The arty will be pulled back to the area between Grappe des Fourtres and Froussadvillaires. One the arty has moved one turn, the infantry will begin an orderly retreat to the fortifications near Grappe des Fourtres that the engineers are building, holding actions are authorized, the most damaged unit will remain if need be to ensure the remaining units can make it back.The cavalry will also charge to assist the infantry in retreating, holding the German's if need be to allow the holding action infantry to retreat.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Made some slight changes to III Corps dispositions to better enable contesting a crossing of Pont De Dax. Changes have been edited into my original orders and copied here:

Battery III-3 of 75s attached to Corps Reserve Regiment III-6, 66e Régiment d'infanterie "the Fighting Grandpas"

Corps Reserve Regiment III-6, 66e Régiment d'infanterie "the Fighting Grandpas" Positioned in Mange Pomme to cover their attached 75s which I hope will have the range to contest any crossing of Dax. Orders to withdraw after the third German turn and follow the road until they reach a point just South of the Eastern tip of La Fourmiliere, there to face ENE along the road and discourage further German advance.

Corps Cavalry IIIc - "the Glue Factory" Positioned in the forest South of Pont de Dax with orders to charge and lance down any German forces of less than division strength that successfully cross the river.

Warning Memo to Corps II and Division IV
The Fighting Grandpas are an understrength regiment and should not, under any condition, be counted on to successfully resist an attempt in significant strength to cross Pont de Dax. They are intended solely to rough the enemy up should he attempt to cross there.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 10, 2015

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Comrade Koba posted:

Engineers (not shown because I forgot to put them in before exporting the JPEG)
Divisional engineers will attempt to construct entrenchments for 3eme Infantry Reg., making their positions slightly more defendable.

My engi's would be too far away from corps hq to blow kubrick immediately so I'm going to swap my engis and yours. I'll dig your defenses, you blow kubrick then move them to the farm.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

2nd Division Deployment

Orders: Use the gun, kill the Hun! 2nd Division has been ordered to contest any attempted crossing of Pont de Mureau, and to defend the town of Glacessui and the Butte du Fesse. If the enemy attacks in overwhelming strength, the Division will conduct a fighting retreat south. If the enemy attacks in underwhelming strength, we will blow them up.

All artillery should be unlimbered and ready to fire at the beginning of the game!

Units deployed:
8th Regiment (3 Battalions)
33rd Regiment (3 Battalions)
73rd Regiment (3 Battalions)
110th Regiment (3 Battalions)
101st Light Artillery Regiment (9 batteries in 3 groups)
6th Squadron, 6th Regiment of Chasseurs
1st Company, 2nd Regiment of Engineers

Attached Corps Reserve Units:
1st Company, I Corps Engineers
9 batteries of 75mm guns in 3 groups
2 batteries of 105mm in 1 group

tatankatonk fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 10, 2015

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Also: there's now a tactical map on the Roll20, and I made company and battery-sized counters for you to use. Just copy and paste as groups, and change the text to your matching unit designations.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Deployment orders for III Corps / 6e Division d'Infanterie (Réserve) "Veaux de Plomb"
(edited 3/11/2015)

6 Division units in pink, attached III Corps assets in gold.

6 Division is to HOLD position.
- 6 Division HQ deployed on MP-PdP road to maintain comms with subordinate units
- In the event that German forces flank Mangepomme or 6 Division HQ comes within enemy weapon range, 6 Division HQ is to withdraw to 6/3 Regiment's position
---Movement may break comms with 6/1 Regiment if unavoidable

6/1 Regiment
- Deploy south of Mangepomme to cover flanks of town while minimizing exposure to units to the north
---One battalion to be held in reserve
- HQ positioned to maintain comms with 6 Div HQ and subordinate units while minimizing exposure to enemy units
- Attached: 6 Division Engineers
---Assist with destruction of Pont de Kubrick immediately; this action is not to be interrupted
---Once Pont de Kubrick is destroyed, prepare fieldworks for 6/1 Regiment south of Mangepomme
---Once fieldworks are complete, garrison southern Mangepomme and prevent capture by Germans

6/2 Regiment
- Deploy along southern bank of River Paisne facing opposite shore while providing clear fields of fire for attached artillery
- Orders are to prevent German forces from flanking Mangepomme and reestablishing a pontoon bridge across River Paisne
- HQ positioned at southern end of line to maintain comms with 6 Div HQ and subordinate units, while minimizing exposure to enemy units
- Attached: 6/1 Artillery and III-3 Artillery
---Deploy along southern bank of River Paisne facing towards Cheri Farm
---Orders are to engage any German forces that flank or enter Mangepomme, with priority towards artillery and MG targets
- Attached: 6 Division Cavalry
---Deploy with 6/2 Regiment on southern bank of River Paisne and assist with artillery spotting

6/3 Regiment
- Deploy crossing the MP-PdP road facing NNE towards Mangepomme while providing clear fields of fire for attached artillery
---One batallion to be held in reserve
- Orders are to prevent German forces from advancing down MP-PdP road towards Pont de Pabst
- HQ positioned to maintain comms with 6 Div HQ and subordinate units while minimizing exposure to enemy units
- Attached: 6/2 Artillery and III-155 Artillery
---6/2 Artillery deployed across MP-PdP road facing NNE towards Mangepomme
---III/155 Artillery deployed on NE tip of Fourmiliere facing towards Cheri
---Orders are to engage any German forces that enter range, with priority towards artillery and MG targets
- Attached: III Corps Cavalry
---Deploy picket line between 6/3 Regiment and Mangepomme to provide spotting for artillery fire
---Fall back to Fourmiliere behind III-155 Artillery if engaged by >1 enemy regiment or artillery fire
- Attached: III Corps Engineers
---Deploy with III/155 Artillery on NE tip of Fourmiliere while providing clear fields of fire for artillery
---Construct fieldworks for III/155 Artillery, 6/3 Regiment, and 6/2 Artillery

6/4 Regiment
- Deploy in valley south of Putains and the northern tip of Fourmiliere facing North to NW, while providing clear fields of fire for attached artillery and III-155 Artillery on Fourmiliere
--- One battalion to be held in reserve
- Orders are to prevent German forces from flanking Putain through the valley between Putain and Fourmiliere
- Attached: 6/3 Artillery
---6/3 Artillery deployed facing towards Cheri Farm
---Orders are to engage any German forces that enter range, with priority towards artillery and MG targets

Terrifying Effigies fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 12, 2015

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
IIe Corps (HOTLANTA CORPS) Command Unit Placement

Pretty straightforward. My first three units of 75's have been loaned out to my divisions so they will place them. My first reserve regiment and the 75's still under my command placed in Godemiche farm as a defense unit in case Germans make it past Coubarbe and Isle de Huit. My 155's are providing cover fire and overwatch for the Pont de Broulard defense, and my second reserve regiment is supporting the defense of Cheri farm and our Eastern flank. IIe Corps engineers will be setting up defenses for 4th division at Cheri farm while 4th Div's engineers attempt to blow Pont Kubrick. My cavalry and attached MG unit will be scouting and harassing anybody attempting to cross Dax, in particular any artillery in the area.

HOTLANTA CORPS is not losing this flank.

HOTLANTA MAN fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 10, 2015

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Right, I'm putting units into place, but its taking some time (as you may guess).

Just thought I'd let you know.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

Right, I'm putting units into place, but its taking some time (as you may guess).

Just thought I'd let you know.

It looks like we're just missing divisional orders from The Merry Maurader (3e Division d'infanterie, IIeCorps d'armée), he said he'd post them this morning. Would you take some kind of provisional orders in the meantime? We need his regiments deployed in Coubarbe and along Chemain des Putains.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Working on it now. Having some trouble getting time on a compy where I can actually put the pretty icons on the map.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Placement Orders for 3e Division d'Infanterie, IIe Corps d'Armée

KEY:

Purple Square = Divisional HQ
Black Box = 8e Régiment de Zouaves Marocaine (A Regiment); to be lined up in marching order (as seen in the OP, three columns) facing E-W, with the MGs furthest East and Reg't HQ furthest West
Red Box = 12e Régiment de Tirallieurs Malgaches (A Regiment); to be lined along the hill in the following disposition:
code:
CoCoMGCoCoMGCoCoMGCoCo
 Co  Co  RHQ  Co  Co 

Orange Box = Regiment of Divisional 75mm Artillery (facing NNW), Assigned to 12e Régiment de Tirallieurs Malgaches
White Box = Regiment of Divisional 75mm Artillery (facing NW), Assigned to 12e Régiment de Tirallieurs Malgaches
Lavender Boxes = 4e Régiment de Tirailleurs Marocaine (A Regiment), to be lined along the hill in the following disposition:
code:
CoCo  CoCoCo  CoCoCo  CoCo
    MG      MG      MG
    Co      RHQ     Co

Brown Box = Regiment of Divisional 75mm Artillery (facing NW), Assigned to 4e Régiment de Tirailleurs Marocaine
Thin Pink Lines = Regiment II-1 of 3 75mm Batteries (facing NW) (from Corps Assets, assigned to 2e Régiment de Marche de Tirailleurs du Maroc Occidental)
Indigo Box = 2e Régiment de Marche de Tirailleurs du Maroc Occidental (A Regiment), facing N-S in column like so:
code:
  Co   Co   Co  
  MG   MG   MG
  Co   Co    Co
  Co   RHQ  Co  Co
  Co   Co    Co 
Pink Box = Divisional Cavalry Troop, assigned to 4e Régiment de Tirailleurs Marocaine
Dark Red Box = Divisional Engineers, assigned to 4e Régiment de Tirailleurs Marocaine, digging trench

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 11, 2015

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Dug this pdf up, which, if not quite accurate, may give some idea.

"AI" is anti-infantry fire, i.e. when shooting at soft targets.

German MGs are quite a bit better than ours. And our 155s are heavy hitters, but need to be close in 1914. They should probably be forward-ish with heavy infantry support.

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 10, 2015

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

In other words, more or less where my division commander has put them?

(I would also like to register a complaint about MGs being unable to do indirect fire, unless they get it in 1915; short-range indirect fire was a major part of their role, especially during offensives. To whom do I write "Dear Sir..."? )

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Trin Tragula posted:

In other words, more or less where my division commander has put them?

I'm gonna punch this up because I feel like it may have been missed: artillery executing direct fire cannot fire over obstructions including friendly companies.

MGs can do indirect, yep. Don't know the details. (e: Canadians in 1916, Austrians and Brits in 1917, apparently) Note that this is a large-scale MG indirect barrage, as opposed to simple area denial fire.

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 10, 2015

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

The Merry Marauder posted:

I'm gonna punch this up because I feel like it may have been missed: artillery executing direct fire cannot fire over obstructions including friendly companies.

MGs can do indirect, yep. Don't know the details. (e: Canadians in 1916, Austrians and Brits in 1917, apparently) Note that this is a large-scale MG indirect barrage, as opposed to simple area denial fire.

Ugh, I thought they'd be able to fire over the MG companies if they were behind but above. I'll adjust accordingly.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Perfectly reasonable to think that, I'm just trying to make sure this doesn't come up at a more awkward time.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

The Merry Marauder posted:

Perfectly reasonable to think that, I'm just trying to make sure this doesn't come up at a more awkward time.

Wait, so to be perfectly clear, artillery on top of a hill but behind our lines can't shoot over them? Because only being able to direct fire is one thing, but that's just unreasonable.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Sorry for the extra work, Grey, but it's a gigantic difference whether or not an entire division's worth of artillery is able to fire. Here's the revised 2nd division deployment.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Generation Internet posted:

Wait, so to be perfectly clear, artillery on top of a hill but behind our lines can't shoot over them? Because only being able to direct fire is one thing, but that's just unreasonable.

As far as I understand it, friendly stands simply can't shoot through/over friendly stands. Arty doing so would be using Indirect Fire, with FOs and the like.

e: Support weapons can if they're integrated into the regiment (inf. guns, MGs)

You may want Grey to chime in before things get disordered.

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 11, 2015

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
In light of our artillery revelations, move my IIe corps 75s directly left of the Godemiche regiment, facing North

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Jimmy4400nav, I believe you should rethink your positioning too. I talked to a bunch of guys and we seem to agree you're a bit too close to the river, the Germans will be able to simply pop out of the woods and attack, without having to spend too much time in your killing fields. Also if artillery cannot direct fire over friendlies (which would make sense, particularly in the case of the MGs and 75mms) your fire support cannot support you as it is. I'd put it on the flanks, pull the line back a bit, and detach a regiment or two as a reserve so that if a part of your line gets pummelled, the rest of the division won't stand idly.

Remember, you've got a super important job, because if you fail, then the Boche can just roll down the road behind you and cut off the entire I Corps. Get on the roll20 and we can hash things out.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Commander 1eme is respectfully reminded of point 4 of his orders.

quote:

4. You shall make your dispositions so that you may provide the maximum possible supporting fire to the defenders of the Pont de Thesaurus.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Generation Internet posted:

That's actually hilarious.

So wait, we literally have to have our artillery at the front of our lines and as vulnerable as possible to be useful? Isn't that... a little weird?

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Going to wait for Grey to weigh in on the 'artillery on hills' rules.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Going to wait for Grey to weigh in on the 'artillery on hills' rules.

Same I'll mak some changes later when I'm at home once I hear on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Mukaikubo posted:

That's actually hilarious.

So wait, we literally have to have our artillery at the front of our lines and as vulnerable as possible to be useful? Isn't that... a little weird?

The artillery we have right now is not what you typically imagine when you think of the Great War. It's not a parabolic trajectory howitzer that you just fire from a million miles away, it looks like this. It's supposed to fire over a mostly flat arc into an enemy force advancing in the open in sight of the gunner.

We do have some 155mm guns for the typical artillery role, but they suck, and the 75mm is great.

• Locked thread