Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag
[HP: 09/12] [AC: 19]

"Arrrg! Stupid shield, takes way too long to put on!"

Vorag takes out his frustration by drawing a longsword and swinging it at the nearest bandit.

longsword vs bandit: 1d20+5 17 1d8+3 9 damage.

A whole action to equip a shield? Oops. I figured it fell under the 'interact with an item' rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Sephaerinus Kail
[HP: 7/11] [AC: 16]

The comedy moment of the bandit slipping and falling flat on his face is quickly ruined by the sight of Alan taking a blade through his armor. Wasting no time, Kail upends his glaive and drives it through the downed bandit's back.

Downer bandito with advantage: 2#1d20+5 22 21 1d10+3 13

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Bestiary
[HP: 11/11] [AC: 15] [Lvl1: 2/2]

Bestiary looks at the bandits with a small frown, well with the size of his face it is a bit larger than usual. Then simply calls forth more fire in his hand and flings it at the injured bandit.

Produce Flame vs AC of Injured Bandit 1d20+5 15 for 1d8 1 fire damage.

Items:
Effects:
Trinket 23 A brass orb etched with strange runes

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Alan Maernos
HP: 1/10; AC: 17

As the sword strikes deep past Alan's armor, he rallies himself, focusing on the battle. His tutors in the ways of close combat taught him that anger could be a source of great strength, enough to push through and defeat even the most daunting of foes. And so, Alan searched his mind for the most recent thing that really irked him, and struck out at the bandit whose attack had succeeded. "I'll show you who's not used to manual labor!" The blades sank deep into the bandit's flesh, but after the attack, he still stood there, barely upright, looking more confused at Alan's battle cry than anything. Thoroughly embarrassed, Alan made a mental note that he would have to cut back on the charitable donations until he'd raised the funds to have his weapons enchanted. With fire. And lightning. And acid. And spikes.

(First attack hits and also makes me really miss 3.5 since that would be a crit for a sword, for four damage, and the second one hits for six damage, leaving the enemy with a single hit point. :doh:)

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Name: Malo Baker
Spells
Equipment
HP:8/8 AC:13 SP: 0/0
Tides of Chaos: Recharged
Spellslots open: 1st- 1

Malo cackles wildly as his spell hits it's mark only to be swiftly followed up by Bestiary's own fire. Settling down a touch as the battle plays out in front of him he sees the primped up noble man get hit rather hard and sets his sights on a new mark. Stepping forward Malo braces his foot on the corpse of the dead boar in front of him and lifts his ring to his lips kissing the combined symbols of Talos and Mystra and grins shouting "Now y'all gone and started a row the fun's begun, let's go hog wild!" Pointing his fingers out towards the bandit next to Alan Malo grins as wide as he can and hisses through his teeth "PrAeCaNtAtIo TeLuM"

In the next instant those assembled can feel in their bones the weave crackling around Malo as its power curls around him delivering its blessing, any looking at Malo see his face shifting a thousand times as potential lives cast their light over him, a ghostly image of a hundred different bodies flit around him before fading away as the weave calms down once again. Malo stands seemingly unharmed but for the still fading glow that is on his skin, taking advantage of the spectacle he flicks his wrist forward and three bolts of force spiral away from his outstretched hand streaking across the field to take a bandit in the chest.

Moving forward one square and casting Magic Missle of B2 for 9 damage[7523]
Auto Surge from Tides of Chaos:92[7524] If you die within the next minute, you immediately come back to life as if by the reincarnate spell.
Vanilla wild surge did not trigger
Lothire has said it's okay for me to handle my autosurges so long as I don't go crazy abusing the Tides->Surge->Tides again mechanic, just so that it's less work on the DM to track :).

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 11, 2015

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Varella Emberlight
[HP: 10/10] [AC:16]
Ki: Unlocked at level 2
Equipment

The bandit pratfalls were entertaining until Alan took a sword straight through a seam in his armor. His attendants are probably going to complain about the blood staining. "Time to end this," Varella thought to herself.

Okay lets see if this all works. Since the combat is a little muddled I'm going to go with the assumption that Alan stabbed the bandit in A3 while Malo called his shot for B2. I'm going to use all movement to move to A2. Then I am going to use my quarterstaff attack on Bandit B2 and make my bonus action martial arts attack on Bandit A3. If I have made a mistake on the health levels I want to apply my quarterstaff with it's higher damage potential to the healthiest target standing.

Attacking bandit with most remaining health (B2?): 1#1d20+5 15 1d8+3 11

Bonus: Martial Arts attack on lesser health bandit (A3?): 1#1d20+5 19 1d4+3 4

Dashing around the tree stump Varella moved to assist Alan. She swung her quarterstaff and the weakened bandit didn't have a chance to dodge and was caught flush in the head. "Now I did the Quartermaster proud!" Varella thought to herself. Using the momentum of the swing she threw a kick to her side straight into the gut of the remaining bandit.

Added 3/11/15 5:3pm est - Assuming I miss the chance to speak with Lothire due to time zone and schedule reasons I'll just put what I was thinking for the fight mop up here. Varella will want to check the bandits that aren't smoldering piles of ash for any maps or other information that can help us out. Varella is also carrying a healing kit with 10/10 charges in case anyone isn't able to heal up completely with the adjusted rules for this campaign. Per Lothire we're getting the level up average plus our mod like when we level. Alan took will need to apply the heal kit rule to use the max die plus mod and can ask Varella to patch him up.

Trast fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 11, 2015

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
A lot to process and as I promised, some optimization. Here we go!

The ill-balanced Bandit pays a grim price as Kail swiftly ends the man's life with the business end of his glaive. It is a bloody, but mercifully quick end.

Vorag's frustration leads to the injury of another bandit, turning his rage on his opponent and cutting the man deep in typical gladiatorial fashion.

Alan's unrelenting focus pushes him past the pain and drives his main blade into Vorag's bandit, falling the man. The lone survivor receives an even harsher blow from his offhand blade, justifying his every moment spent in training.

The final Bandit screams in desperation as he tries for a swing at the injured Alan, but a combination of Bestairy's fire and Malo's snaking magical missile nearly blow a hole in the figure. Varella finishes the groups retaliating assault, thumping the man with staff and fist.

Stillness creeps over the forest for the briefest of moments. You realize now, you are victorious.

Varella takes to the task of searching the bodies. No good is the material to a dead man, after all. She recovers 36 gold in total. Would seem these Bandits have had little luck in their thieving ways in this forest.

As you tend to your wounds, a piece of parchment catches the eye of Kail. Must have fallen out of pocket sometime during the fight. Blood has seeped in on its edges, but the writing is legible..

“Our efforts to relocate are not going well. It’s as if Lurkwood is alive and trying to root us out itself. Brad swears he saw an Elven woman a few days ago, but he’s always nose deep in a cup of booze. Between the monsters and southern workers snooping, we can’t stay here much longer. Hedrea thinks the spoils are better along the river to the east, but how are we suppose to rob boats? We're to do one last sweep for left over equipment or goods, then we leave this place in our dust.”

I've got the tabs on Exp, though I'm working off story point mostly. You've got a short rest here, an easy five minutes. Edit: I confused myself. It was Healing Kit Use for full hit dice on use, or the choice of average or rolling without a kit. I will post again the next section in another hour or two, kind of rushed home here.

Lothire fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 12, 2015

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Spells
Equipment

As the lurkwood falls silent and the combat rush ends Malo drops to his knees breathing deeply his hands shaking as he leans back resting against the body of the boar as he calms down. Grinning like a madman at the recognition the weave has delivered.

Standing after a minutes rest he digs through his pack pulling out his own healing kit and ambling over to help tend the wounded.

Malo'll spend charges from his own healing kit to help even out the resource drain.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 12, 2015

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag
[HP: 12/12] [AC: 19]

"Well done! It's a good day when I get to wet both blades. They must have been rather desperate bandits to attack a group armed as we are."

Vorag pulls the crossbow bolt out of his hide as an afterthought. It's bleeds a bit but barely seems to faze him.

Second wind: 1d10+1 7, full

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
Be sure to post about doing your Short Rest Things (RP, Heal, etc) before moving onto..

Lurkwood: Hour 2

Back on track to your destination, you find the area has grown more and more wild. The path you travel significantly less visible, while the few traces of human activity (small campsites, hunter traps, etc) virtually gone. Some animals and a hell of a lotta nature, as far as the eye can see.

But it is the sounds that put you on alert once more. A distant howl of a wolf is familiar to all, but recalling the warnings of dangerous wild life, gives you a moments pause for concern. As you continue to travel, the howls become more frequent. Never closer, but never far either. Then, after a few more minutes of travel, you come across quite a visible collection of paw tracks in the mud. They seem to lead in the direction you are headed.

Decision making time! Someone/Anyone can move ahead with Stealth while the group waits, trying to locate the creatures without alarming them. Or, the group can continue along without change and handle whatever comes across. While the group could try to move off the path and around whatever is up ahead, they don't know just where the creatures are yet, while risking losing their way going off trail too long or far. Such a tactic would be viable if a scout moved ahead and successfully found the pack (without alerting them!) before returning that information to the group.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

(Feel free to use Malo's healing kit in addition to Varella's too , just mention it so I can mark off the charges)

Spells
Equipment

Malo holds up his hand as the group continues to march and calls for a brief stop. "I reckon y'all ain't had too much experience with the Lurkwood proper before so I'm just gonna say now what we're doing here with the blindly marchin' ahead is a bad idea."

Removing his cloak Malo fishes out and changes into his spare set of clothing the colors more muted and scattered for blending into the woods. "Gimme a few minutes and I'll take a looksee at what's up ahead." Setting aside his belongings but for a knife sheathed on his hip and the crystal from the clasp on his cloak Malo takes off quietly down off the side of the road into the woods quickly disappearing from sight to go and get a handle on the situation ahead.

Sneaking off into the wilderness never to be seen again: 15[7529]

e: Oh I guess since Malo is changing his shirt out y'all can spot this junk tattooed across his upper back.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 12, 2015

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag

Vorag scoffs at the whole 'blindly marching ahead' jab, but you might notice he is still holding that shield.

"Nice tattoo, kid. But I don't think some demon-mark will be enough to keep you alive on your own out there. Watch yourself."

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
Malo may be rather frail, but his presence is well masked moving forward and away from the group. So serene is his movements, he later finds it quite easy to hide among the leaves of a large tree as he observes that which made the earlier prints.

Two wolves snap and bite at one another while pacing around a center tree. They appear very agitated, occasionally grabbing hold of a dry bone or similar thing just to thrash it about. Two more further back lay in the shadow of another tree, eyes focused in your general direction. If you didn't know better, you'd swear they were actually awaiting for your group to stumble upon them. Should you wait a little longer, the two in the center seem to calm and rest, though they too continue to keep their vigilance towards the south.

You're free to move back to the group without issue.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

(Feel free to use Malo's healing kit in addition to Varella's too , just mention it so I can mark off the charges)

Spells
Equipment

Observing the wolves for a moment Malo shimmies back down to the ground and makes his way swiftly back to the group laying out the situation "Lookin' up ahead I saw four big ol' wolves hanging out in a clearing and by the way they was starin' right down the path it seemed like they were waiting for something to show up."

Throwing his cloak back around his shoulders and re-attaching the clasp he points off into the forest "I'm right sure I could lead us round'em if we wanna avoid a fight or we could come up on the side and give'em a walloping they ain't expecting while they stare where they think we're at."

Either way we'll probably get some xp :v: Bypassing the guards via tricksy methods is good and saves us some healing but also pelts would be good. :homebrew:

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Sephaerinus Kail
[HP: 11/11] [AC: 16]

Kail incredulously watches Malo disrobe and take off into the woods, and debates whether he should stop the boy. Frowning, he realizes Malo isn't about to listen to him, and lets the boy go.

In Kail's hands is the note he found. He stares at it for a long moment then carefully folds it and slips it into his pack.

Using hit die average amount houserule to heal up the 4 damage.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag

Shrugging, Vorag says, "Do we really want to kill every furry animal in a forest? That could take a while. I doubt they are masterminding a plot against the good folk of this land."

"Unless..."

"Are they werewolves??"

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Spells
Equipment

Malo shrugs his shoulders "I've ain't never seen me a werewolf" he pauses a moment as a thought occurs "er maybe I have and I just didn't know they was one?" Shaking his head he follows up on his original thought "anyhow them critters up ahead just looked like yer normal type wolves to me though they were mighty focused on the road like they knew we were coming down it, ain't like any wolves I ever seen" Picking up his pack and slinging it on he nods "I reckon I'd rather we cut up the side a while and hop back on the road once we've made it a ways past but really I'm up to do whatever y'all want."

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Mar 12, 2015

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Sephaerinus Kail
[HP: 11/11] [AC: 16]

"If at all possible," Kail interjects, sounding somewhat irritated, "I would like to prevent being mauled by a wolf, were- or otherwise. If we can go around, I suggest we do so."

The half-elf shuts his eyes tight for a moment and shakes his head. What kind of idiots am I traveling with, he wonders to himself.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Mar 12, 2015

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Alan Maernos
HP: 10/10; AC: 17

As the battle finishes, Alan checks his side, and finds that the cut was not nearly so deep as he'd initially thought. He keeps to himself the observation that it hurt a lot more than he expected from such a shallow injury. He also notes that it's fortunate that his clothes are made of silk. There may be a bit of blood on his shirt, but at least it wasn't cut through, Qiric would lecture him for hours if he went and ruined such a nice shirt. As the group catches their breath, Alan gives the cut some attention.

(Rolled an eight for Second Wind, which brought my HP to 9. From there, getting that last point back doesn't even require a roll.)

As Malo and Vorag discuss the potential for werewolves, Alan shakes his head. "It is highly unlikely that they are werewolves. More likely, they've been trained to hunt travelers in the forest. I've no particular desire to harm innocent forest animals, dangerous or not. I cast my vote in favor of saving our strength for sentient foes."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Bestiary
[HP: 11/11] [AC: 15] [Lvl1: 2/2]

Bestiary looks intrigued. "Wolves keeping watch on a path. Curious." He begins to make as if he was going to go forward, stops and looks at the others, and their reluctance to confront the wolves. "Then again if they are just normal wolves they have already been added to the Bestiary."
Items:
Effects:
Trinket 23 A brass orb etched with strange runes

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

Varella Emberlight
Hit Dice: 1d8
Healing Kit 10/10 charges
Equipment

-Battle aftermath-

Varella goes about the grim but needed business of searching the bandits for any information or supplies that the party could use. She is disappointed to learn that the only thing of any value that the bandits were carrying was a total of 36 gold coins between them. She had been hoping she would find a map that could further assist them in their search or at the very least some sort of written orders or agenda for the bandits. Perhaps such a thing went up in flames under Malo and Beastiary's attacks? She told the party she had found the 36 gold coins and would distribute them evenly.

A short rest was called to let everyone attend to their wounds. As luck would have it Alan's wounds weren't as serious as they'd appeared originally and he was able to attend to himself. As the others applied bandages and healing ointments Varella settled into a cross-legged position to mediate. She felt that she was closer every day to unlocking her own ki and with it the unlimited potential that the discipline of the Open Hand would grant her as she continued down it's path.

-Deeper into the woods-

The howl of wolves cut through the air. The party slowed to consider their options. Malo, ever optimistic, claims that he can scout ahead and see if we can go around the unseen pack. Varella thought about disagreeing with the sorcerer but he was already stripping off his clothing and putting on a outfit that matches the greens and browns of the forest. Malo never seemed to run out of surprises. He went off into the brush and returned a short time later with a report on the wolf pack he had found.

"We've already been warned that the evil in this place has been driving the animals mad. I'd prefer to not do harm to them if it can be helped. It's quite possible that when we accomplish our mission that they will return to normal and no longer be a threat. And it appears that you all wish to avoid a fight with these wolves as well. However we should be prepared to fight in case this pack presses the issue and leaves the path to find us." She looks over to Vorag and grins. "And if these wolves really do end up being werewolves you shouldn't worry, Vorag. I'll protect you." She'd always wanted to tease a dragon.

I agree with the rest of you and will chance going around the pack. If the pack comes out to attack us I will be ready. Lothire you can continue to roll a stealth check for me if you decide I'll have a chance to hide before any attack. It's nice to get the jump on people.

Edit - I forgot to put in a line about Varella telling the party about the gold she found. We're busy at work so I was multi-tasking again. :v: That should be six coins to each of us.

Trast fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 12, 2015

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Spells
Equipment

Pocketing his share of the money Malo smiles with a quick thanks to Varella before speaking up "Looks like we agree " stepping off towards the wood again he lectures for a few moments while they're still far off, outlining the dangers of the wood "ain't never been too much trouble this far south in the Lurkwood but y'all come to visit sometime again you make sure you come from the south end, reckon we got a mighty fine selection of nasty beasties and a handful of barbarians tribes around that don't take kindly to visitors never you mind the orcs further in."

As Malo brings the group through the woods parallel to where the wolves were he becomes uncharacteristically silent, leading the group down a separate route cutting deeper into the forest and further towards their destination making only the tiniest of sounds as he goes along.

Wasn't sure if we'd just take my previous check and just let it ride so I rolled anyway!

Sneaking again:17[7547]

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 12, 2015

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Varella Emberlight
Equipment

Varella was always the champion of hide and sneak in Emberlight Hold as a child.

Stealth Check - Moving around wolves: 1d20+5 17

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag

Even the dragonborn could be sneaky when it was called for. He stalks through the forest behind the others, his chain muffled by a cloak.

stealth: 2d20l1 15

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Alan Maernos

(Oh, we're actually using Stealth instead of cutting a completely different path? Funny story about that...)

As the group follows Malo, Alan's armor clanks loudly, not much he can do to silence it. He hopes Malo found a path far enough from the wolves as to not draw their attention, but has the sinking feeling that he's going to have to kill some unfortunate wildlife very shortly.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
No stealth rolls needed! Your path of avoidance is wide enough not to be found. Sorry, should have made that clear. I'll use these rolls for the next encounter, give you better position. Working on the next part..

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

That is also on me. I'm not used to stealthy characters so when I saw Porpoise roll I figured I would too. Lothire went over everything with me and now I am clear.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
Between Malo's direction and the wide expanse of forest to travel in, the group effortlessly moves past the wolves without becoming lost. Soon you re-find your half-buried trail and continue onwards.

Lurkwood: Hour 3, Destination

Another hour of travel and you emerge from the forest bushery into a large clearing. While there are still many trees, the ground is sparse of bushes and cover. There are many disturbances in the dirt suggesting activity, as though the place was one larger-sized campsite at some point. The most disturbing aspect is what lies overhead - an overwhelming abundance of webbing covers the majority of the treeline some 25 feet up, blocking out most of the sunlight in the area.

Point of Interest, Hill: Near the eastern side of the clearing stands a tall hill. It is difficult to make out what is on top of it from where you are, but what looks like a makeshift grave marker rests on top.
The brown stump looking thing in the L-13 area is actually a dirt hill. Any square the light brown area touches (even if it's a little bit) is the risen part, raised some 10 feet (darkened part is the slope). Entering into the light brown part costs 10 ft of movement. Once on, the hill flattens out and movement is normal. Remember higher elevation aids in ranged attacks on lower targets.

Point of Interest, Blackened Ground: To the north is a greatly darkened section of ground. From this distance the ground appears uneven and lumpy, with what might be a sign planted near the area.
The sign is planted at F-10. Getting closer will reveal more.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag

With exaggerated creeping motions, Vorag motions for the others to stay back while he investigates the sign.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Varella Emberlight
Equipment

When she catches sight of the spider webs above the clearing Varella readies her quarterstaff and begins to look up towards the tree tops and the web line. "Spiders, this is no good," she whispers.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Alan Maernos

Noting the marker atop the nearby hill, Alan moves to take a closer look. When he gets close enough, he begins to investigate the surrounding area, trying to discover what clues he can.

(Investigation roll of 16. So, probably just basic information, if that.)

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
Vorag creepily moves to F-10.

Blackened Dirt Area: Debris becomes obvious as you close in on the area. Shattered wood, broken containers, even shiny metal bits all lay around the area - some half buried. Scattered likewise among the garbage are bones of various sizes and shapes. Fair to assume this blackened ground is likely from old, dried blood.

The sign is cobbled together, with writing done in much fresher blood and in the crude Goblin language: "Feed Here".

spooky! I need to take care of business, but I'll be back in an hour or two to post for you others.

Lothire fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 12, 2015

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Varella Emberlight
Equipment

Varella waits with the rest of the group for Vorag and Alan to return from their scouting. She tries to keep watch above them but the lighting is bad and the shadows play tricks on her. She is concerned about the webs and the spiders that must have made them. It is as if something is tingling in her senses.

Perception check - clearing with webs: 1d20+3 11

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
Posting from phone! This is weird.

Alan climbs the slope of the hill, taking in the area from his new point of view before examining the marker.

It is as you believed, the marker seems to be that of a tribal grave. An imagine of an elk is painted elegantly on the wooden structure. Underfoot the ground is soft, making digging an easy activity with a proper tool.

posting D&D in a mechanics shop. This world.. Anyways, do you dig?

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Languages: Elven, Goblin, Draconic, Celestial
Tides of Chaos: Expended this turn.
Spells:Spellslots open: 1st- 1

Equipment

Malo glances around the area standing still as Vorag has bade him keeping his eyes turned upward but nothing seems to be standing out to him.

Expending Tides:
Perception with tides advantage 8 on an advantage
:suicide:

Shrugging as there is clearly no danger here he meanders over to Vorag "I ain't seeing nothin' round here" and looks at the sign sighing "Ain't their mams teach them to write" picking up a twig he scrapes some overflow of the blood off the sign neatening the letters, with a shake of his head he translates the sign for Vorag "This'un says Feed Here"

Moving to G9
e: v If only you had asked Malo about the barbarian tribes! :v::hf::ghost: Haha.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 12, 2015

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Alan Maernos

As Alan looked at the communal grave, an errant thought crossed his mind. Should he dig here? As bizarre, even laughable, as the prospect of digging up a mass grave for no discernible reason sounded, the thought had carried the weight of a sincere question. Alan found that supremely troubling, but at the same time somewhat compelling. Maybe he should dig down and see what's there. It might be important. Then the thought of possibly provoking some manner of undead struck him, and he nearly discarded the idea. However, he realized, the ground being this loose would imply recent burial, possibly the missing workers. Taking his crowbar from his pack to use as an improvised spade, Alan begins to dig, cautiously.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag

"I know what it says!!"

Vorag feigns anger at Malo for 'reading to him'. In reality Vorag had no clue how to read goblin, but it was good to know that Malo can. Between knowing goblin, the chaos magic, and that tattoo, Vorag was really wondering how this kid got so far off the normal path of life. Not that Vorag knew anything about 'normal' life. He was just glad to be out here, in the middle of a gods-forsaken forest, than in a major city with bounty hunters at his heels.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
Malo and Varella spy very little up in the webbing. Where Malo gives up, Varella stares longer, and swears to see the a brief shift in a shadow, or the sway of an errand strange of webbing. Instinct backs up rational thought, telling her they are not at all alone in this place.

Alan reasoning skills are in full swing, as is his digging implement of choice. Soon the shallow grave reveals the corpse of a very muscular fellow. A Barbarian, if you've ever seen one, with some of its skull smashed in. His efforts may not have yielded the results he expected, but he does spy a small bag of gems, containing 3 palm-sized gems. Alan is familiar with the type, Jaspers, though the light blue color and extremely well cut design would make them worth more than standard price.
Each gem is worth 150 gold.

And now, something is happening! Just.. Need to work on the post.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
Vorag's forced anger raises his voice and shakes some of the nearby foliage. It also shakes loose something else..

Sliding down trees from the webbing above, off branches and emerging from the few thick bushes around, GOBLINS! Ragged leathers drape from their bodies, some wielding crude shields and chipped, ill-kept curved swords, others with poorly made bows and arrows. They chitter loudly among one another in their awful language, not so much sentences as repeated words of "kill", "take" and "mine."

Before anyone can respond proper, two let loose with their arrows at Malo and Vorag! Vorag parries one out of the air, but Malo suffers a grazing cut from the other. In unison they howl a shriek of premature victory.

Really good stealth check for surprise round. Most spend it sliding down their trees to the ground and taking hold of their weapons, while two others (Gob 7 and 5) emerge from their bushes taking their attacks. One misses Vorag, the other hits Malo for 3 damage. They rolled a critical 1 for initative, so don't bother rolling for yours and take your turn now. This generally means He Who Posts Firsts Does His Action First, so be sure to Preview before posting and adjust accordingly! I know, things can move fast and this can suck when you go to post and someone beats you to it. I swear it's faster/easier than us waiting for posters to muck about with initiative.

I also want to mention a rule adopted from the DMG: Cleave Through Enemies. If you deal damage with a melee attack to a target that was at FULL Hit Points, and the damage dealt is more than the target's remaining Hit Points, you can carry that excess damage over to another target but ONLY if that other target is also at FULL Hit Points. This means you must hit and kill a creature with one attack from full Hit Points, then find another target also at full Hit Points next to you in order to apply that extra damage.

If you don't like the "targets must be at Full HP" requirement, give me a skill check of some sort (I'll set up an appropriate DC) and we can see about waiving that requirement.[/i]

:rolldice:
11/11 5/8
10/10 11/11 10/10 12/12
:x7 [AC:15][HP:7] *goes after everyone else. I'll specify what gob is at what health in this block as they take damage, otherwise they're at full HP and are lumped together (thus the x7 right now). Try to name the goblin you're attacking either by the grid or their name (Gob1 through 7).*

Lothire fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
Porpoise raises a good question about the trees. I want the trees to be climbable, but some are not clear on where their trunks are and thus would make it hard to tell where you can move through a tree.

So we'll do this for now: "The center of the tree cannot be passed through. If the center of a tree is NOT fully in a single square, you can move in those squares around the center of it but not diagonally through what is the center of the tree."

If that still makes no sense to you then just don't worry about it and move through. Not really a big deal, but it could play for some cover.

• Locked thread