Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag
[HP: 19/19 4THP] [AC: 19]

Rushing in behind the bear, Vorag guts the wounded man. The kill seems to invigorate Vorag, making him more confident and restoring a bit of the personality he lost after the spider incident.

"What you going to do? Looks like you're stuck between a bear and a hard place."

Moving to n9, swinging at barb2: longsword: 1d20+5 22 1d8+3 10. Killing him grants me 4THP thanks to spooky evil magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
Things ain't lookin' good for them ol' Elk boys.

14/14 17/17 17/17
Bear:34/34 19/19+4(*)
:rolldice:
18/18
Barb3 [AC:11][HP:32]*going last in round*

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Sephaerinus Kail
[HP: 18/18] [AC: 16][Spells: 1/2]

Kail dashes across the bridge and neatly weaves around and between the other party members. By the time he gets to the fray, only one barbarian still stands--and Kail does not intend to let him remain that way for long. Channeling his inner divine power, the half-elf's glaive explodes with blinding white light as it slams into the barbarian, burning at him with righteous fire.

"Kneel, dog," the half-elf shouts, "and I will spare you."

Move to L10.
Attacking #2: 1d20+5 25 1d10+3 4 Crit, rolling another damage die.
Crit damage bonus: 1d10 9
Crit Divine Smite!: 4d8 18
4+9+18=31.

ONE LIFE LEFT :negative:

If Lothire wants it: Intimidate: 1d20+3 21

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 14, 2015

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
The remaining Barbarian screams bloody murder as both blade and light severs flesh and bone alike. The damage so severe, it severs the burly man's connection with his legs, causing him to crash to the ground in a heap. Slowly he moves, disengaging as the party look to swarm him. His dragging brings him to the side of the low running river, the sight of the 15 foot drop giving him pause.

: "I-Imposs.. This can't be.."

By now he is unable to muster much of any defense, his club left behind where he fell. As the group brings themselves together to finish him off, another blasting Warhorn sounds off. It is much closer now, perhaps less than a minutes travel time, and those of you with keen earing swear to hear the fall of many footsteps in the distance. Now the man smirks through bloody lips, laughing a coughing laugh.

: "Hah.. Haha.. See how ya' fair.. Against a whole warband.. Of greenskins.."

With a final pull, the man slides off down to the streaming river below.. But in his groggy state, he failed to calculate his fall properly and hits one of the few stones rising up from the river's floor. A sickening crack on his head silences his falling scream, and the body is carried away swiftly downstream.

Every 10 or so seconds, the horn blasts again, louder and closer. More sounds grow the longer you wait here, of footsteps and clanking equipment. You estimate less than a minute's time before whatever is coming comes into your area - and while you may not know the numbers, you do believe it to be quite a lot. This is a Time Sensitive, Story-Controlled moment, where you only have enough time to perform a few actions before the warband is upon you. If you run now, you'll have a good lead if they pursue, but you will be leaving behind the horses and any equipment the Barbarians had.

Both horses - who have some hide bags strapped to them - still roam where they are, apparently unaffected by the sounds save for a raised head here and there. They do not seem to care either of your presence, allowing you to get close but not enough to touch. It will take an Animal Handling skill check to get them to co-operate, DC 15. They could be a great way of escaping in time, though an uncomfortable fit with a 3 person per horse set up, it can be done.

Lothire fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 15, 2015

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Alan Maernos
HP: 17/17; AC: 17

Quite pleased with how quickly this fight has gone, Alan sheathes his blades and gets ready to withdraw. "As much as I've been enjoying the wholesale slaughter of vile brigands and wicked monsters, they say discretion is the better part of valor, and a horde of orcs may call for a fair amount of it. Six or seven would be simple enough, but I doubt even warriors as skilled as ourselves could defeat an entire warband on our own. Shall we away?"

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
From the bushes across the bridge, the earlier-saved Hunter emerges.

: "That was amazing! But your friend is right, there is no hope against what comes. Make your choices quick, I will forge the path ahead."

Unless someone wants to do something with him, the hunter will flee towards the settlement's direction while you all make your moves.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Name: Malo Baker
HP:14/14 AC:13 SP: 0/0
HD: 0/1d6 1/1d8
Tides of Chaos: Spent
Spells:Spellslots open: 1st-Sorc-0 Lock-0
Equipment

Malo jogs over to the group as the sound of horns draws close, panicking he goes to jump on a horse, but as it shies away from him he realizes he has never actually been within 20 feet of a horse and has no idea what to even do with it.

His brilliant plan spoiled by his ineptitude, Malo looks in the direction of the approaching horde and begins moving off in the direction of town.

How Horse???:6

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Varella Emberlight
[HP: 17/17] [AC:16]
Ki: 0/2
Hit Dice: 1d8 Hit Dice Used: 0/2
Healing Kit 10/10 charges
Equipment

As the last barbarian tumbled over the edge to his doom Varella looked around and took in the party's handiwork. Three barbarians lay dead at their feet. Their horses stood idly by as if it had been a normal day and not a life or death struggle. Varella remembered the kind of training the stablemasters in Emberlight Hold put their animals through to be that disciplined. It was unlikely that they were going to accept a new owners directions. Perhaps with enough time...

The orc warhorn sounded again, this time much closer and louder. Alan spoke of discretion being the better part of valor and she agreed wholeheartedly when it came to being outnumbered so badly in a fight. "Those orcs are going to be on top of us any minute. We need to get moving. Any time spent looting the bodies or trying to control those horses is just letting the orcs get that much closer. And trust me I know the look of those horses, they won't come easily."

Varella intends to retreat from the warband.

Also some thoughts for you guys. Instead of passing an animal training check we could cut the saddle bags off the saddles. We could even throw the bags on Beastiary if he stays a bear. :v: We could also burn the bridge up to slow the orcs dow and double back to our original route to the west. There are also barbarians to loot if people are feeling greedy. As for me I'm for escaping and not taking extra risks. But I wanted to put up some of the ideas being tossed around in IRC.

Trast fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 15, 2015

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
This is a unique scenario, so let me lay down some info that will help people decide.

What you decide to do will not effect your group mates. Trying to the horses, for example, will not mean the whole group sits there doing the same. Everyone has their own actions, and their actions will not be to the determent of their groupmates.

What failure may mean though, is how it impacts what may or may not happen next. We are on the prospect of a Chase Sequence, as described in the DMG. Running now puts you in a advantageous spot, but so does taming the horses and running off with them - with loot to boot. Failure to tame them is not Game Over, you will not be jumped by orcs, but should I feel a Chase scene is warranted based on the choices of all the players, you will be in a less advantageous position than those who ran ahead.

Again, the decision is yours and nothing is set in stone. Whatever you decide - even if it's to sit here in stealth - it is up to you!

e: Also, keep an eye on the OOC thread and drop into IRC when you have questions about possible ways to progress. Discussions have been had that open up many potential options (that Trast mention), and you may find one of them more enticing than what I have presented.

Lothire fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 15, 2015

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag
[HP: 19/19 4THP] [AC: 19]

"Here, horsey..."

I want to mount up and get out of there. Will use Intimidate if I have to, to make a horse cooperate.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Bestiary
[HP: 19/19] [AC: 15] [Lvl1: 2/3] [Wild Shape: 1/2]
Brown Bear [HP: 34/34] Speed 40 ft, Climb 30 ft
STR DEX CON
19 (+4) 10 (+0) 16 (+3)

People seem to want to ride horses, and Bestiary understands that the faster movement of a horse might help. Still they aren't doing a good job of it, so he takes it upon himself to try and convince the horses to let the others ride them. While a giant brown bear. He can't speak in this form, but he makes various noises, and gestures, and actions that try to sooth the horses. As a bear.

Animal Handling 1d20+3 10 well lets see how that works.

Items: 9 Goodberries
Effects:
Trinket 23 A brass orb etched with strange runes

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
Bestiary grunts in a metallic voice - he has the shape, but the sound isn't quite there. It seems to have the attention of the horses, but they do nothing but stare.

It isn't until Vorag starts to strut forward that they really take notice. They seem skittish at first, but Vorag's presence seems to grow along with his voice. This reminds them of their previous owners. His hand comes into contact with one, and it does not veer away. The other soon approaches, and the two imprint themselves on the dragon-man.

Vorag is victorious in his Intimidation check (by a single point!) by making his figure, tone and "presence" match that of the aggressive Barbarians the horses have been use to serving under. With both horses in hand, you will have no trouble escaping. Vorag can "introduce" the horses to anyone in the group, who in turn can ride them out of here much more quickly than on foot. Malo, Bestiary and Vorag will want to do so to make good an escape and catch up with the others.

All we need now is Kail's action (who can also jump on a horse, with Vorag's help) and we'll be good to progress.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Sephaerinus Kail
[HP: 18/18] [AC: 16][Spells: 1/2]

"Vorag, you are just full of surprises, aren't you?"

Let's get out of here.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
Mounted and ready, the handful of you who did not take after the hunter and lingered are now poised to make your escape. Within' moments of setting off through the path forged by the others, Orcs begin to spill out into the area. A scouting force, adorned in scavenged leathers, arrive just in time to see the cloud of dust linger about the air, and the corpses of the Barbarians on the ground. You can hear their screeches of their ragged voices echo through the forest trees, but the sound fades as fast as your horses legs can take you.

It does not take long for those on the horses to catch up to those on foot. Maybe they are pass up, or offered on board (while getting quite crowded). Either way, after several minutes, there is no sign of any pursuers. The sounds of warhorns eventually fade into the distance, and you and yours are able to resume a less tiring speed as you resume your trip back to Oakwood.

Oakwood, returned

Emerging from the forest tree line, the day's sun is well on its way down. Those few who continue to perform their work duties take notice of your return - some in stunned silence, others in wild cheers and celebration. The Hunter is very tired from the trip, but thankful to be alive and back in safe hands.

: "I can never thank you enough for the rescue. Selune's stars forever watch over you for your deeds this day." He is soon joined by his fellow hunters, both joyous to see, but sad in the loss of the others.

With proof of your success in hand, you return to the large building Saori was earlier found. You find her busy tending to injured folk, but she is quick to raise her head when the whole room begins to point and speak of your arrival. She cannot help but fling herself onto Malo, embracing the young man with all her might.

: "By His light! We had begun to hear warhorns but a few hours ago, animals were seen fleeing the forest! I feared so much had gone wrong.. Thank the gods you've returned safely! Please, tell me of your journey.."

As those explain your ordeal, she is regaled by it all. Hearing of the rescued Hunter and the slaughter of the aggressors, Saori can hardly contain her joy. The part about the Barbarians and the incoming Orcs, give her pause for concern. Yet the hours since that incident must mean they have gone elsewhere. She leaves for only a moment, returning with hand-sized coin bags filled with your reward. 100 gold coins for each. She gives them over happily.

Your first mission as Monster Hunters has been met with considerable success. Not only did you succeed in your task, but you've two horses now, along with the loot found in their stuffed saddle bags. With the threat of a possible Orc invasion having passed, you find yourself in need of real rest. The Inn stays open day and night, a perfect place to pass the time with food, drink and warmth from the night's cold. No doubt it is the place to be if you wish to be thanked personally by the many workers who owe you their jobs. Saori is more than happy to talk the time away, offering her own cooking and company for those who wish to spend it with her. For those of you seeking a more active pass-time, the wild life near the border has been riled up after all the commotion. Hunters are accepting help in protecting the borders of the settlement, some actively going a short ways into the forest to hunt and skin what they can. It's not exciting work by any stretch, but offers plenty of sit-down time between hunts and warm company of the hunters.

Many of the workers are roused from their rests or chosen pass-times, for the fear of monsters and obductions has been fended off. For now, at least. The settlement becomes a great deal more active as workers make up for lost time spent in their tents, forgoing sleep to work even deep into the night. For you, a Monster Hunter, you know it is best to get your rest while you can. There is always opportunity for one of this life, and that opportunity is not as far away as you might think.

Congratulations! Everyone levels up to 3 and are now enjoying a Long Rest while I set things up and work through your horse loot. The next part will begin somewhere around Midnight (in-game!), but there is a short event even before that for those who would like to participate (and one of you won't be gettin' a choice on the matter). I'll need some time to set this transitional period up, so feel free to dig deep into the roleplay during the hours you get resting in the settlement. This is a good time to address any personal character growth from the level you got earlier and from the one you're gaining now, and I'll be checking up to help assume the role of the NPCs you wish to interact with.

Lothire fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 15, 2015

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Sephaerinus Kail
[HP: 25/25] [AC: 16][Spells: 3/3]

Rah rah, all hail the conquering heroes and all that. Kail excuses himself from the rest of the group after Saori distributes the reward and purchases himself a longsword. He chooses a simple, unadorned weapon with an undyed leather scabbard. His glaive is his weapon of choice, but it is always prudent to have a sidearm. Just in case.

With that errand out of the way the half-elf makes his way back to the village center, where he invites the villagers and any others who would listen to join him for some music, stories, and terrible humor. There will be a time to mourn those lost, but first it is important to play to the renewed optimism of the crowd! He takes out his lute, gives it a few choice plucks to check its tuning, and then begins his show. Whenever the mood begins to slip he switches his style, changing from music to stories or jokes or back again. He makes sure to tell the bawdy tale of the farmer's daughter that ran off with the wizard--that one always gets a rise out of folks. Who would have ever thought of using a polymorph spell like that?

After a few hours the crowd had thinned to almost nothing. Everyone seemed to have had a good round of celebrating, and now were returning to their necessary tasks. Kail uses this as an opportunity to end his performance and to go see Saori and the other healers that were tending to the wounded and sick. His knowledge was far from the expertise of a true healer, but he was still eager to help with what he could. The town had already lost so many... there was a great need to make sure that these folks were able to get back on their feet.

Got tired of using my old sheet so I copied Malo's. Kail is fully updated to level 3.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Mar 15, 2015

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

HP:23/23 AC:13 SP: 0/0
HD: 1/1-1d6 2/2-1d8
Tides of Chaos: Avaliable
Spells:Spellslots open: 1st-Sorc-2 Lock-2
Equipment

As Saori flings herself upon Malo he is quick to return the embrace but his joy at the reunion is short lived as he sinks to the back of the group as they explain what had happened, Malo catches his Aunt's eyes a few times as the group chats with her and she can tell something has upset the boy. Having known him as someone to be smiling his entire life she has only seen Malo as dour as he is now once before when a family pet had wandered off into the forest only to be found dead by a scout the next day.

Slipping out before the explanations are finished he heads to the family cottage to rest knowing he will have some time alone to his thoughts as his father works late into the evening and with the return of the crews to work his mother will be out in the woods directing the logging crews.

Resting on his bed he tries to recount the experiences of the day, the simple triumphs but finds his mind consistently flowing back to the traumatizing memory of waking up in the test labs after his jaunt into the astral sea, Malo isn't a smart kid but he certainly recognizes that being flung there again has kick started something unfinished from then.

As he contemplates the issue the itching he had been feeling begins to creep back across his skin, now that he's not in a situation he might die he takes it a mite bit more serious and flings off his top blanching at the sight of the large circle ringed with runes that has appeared over his chest, panicked he runs out of the building to the small workshop behind the cabin where his mother has a large polished steel mirror and looks at the tattoo work on his back finding all of the lines within have pushed out and their design runs across his ribs and over his shoulders flowing into the circle on his chest.

Just a touch upset Malo flees back into the home proper hyper-ventilating as he closes off his room and throws the latch shut. Pacing back and forth across the room he wracks his brain trying to remember the explanation the upperclassmen had given or even relevant knowledge that had been said in his classes but he knew full well none of it had really stuck to him.

On his sixth trek across the small room Malo stops as he hears a whisper from inside the room, it starts as a wordless garble of sounds and only grows louder as suddenly the itching begins again focused on the ring across his chest. He watches as what he hesitates to call ink spreads inwards, what he thought were people talking unintelligibly he now recognizes as his own voice whispering secrets into his skull in a language he is quite sure he does not know but as sure as the sun comes in the morning he knows the meaning being imparted.

The lines finish flowing across his chest and settle as the itching stops, he is almost tempted to marvel at the intricate work that has appeared on him however the mocking imitation of his own voice has only been growing louder and louder multiplying now a dozen times over whispering dark secrets into Malo's mind the cacophony of sound becoming too much to think through

As the sound is becoming to much to bear and the details of the room become painfully clear a single thought pushes through the noise and Malo stumbles to his pack resting by the door and pulling the bottle that Galhadra had given him out, he fumbles at the stopper for a moment as he notices his mouth is moving and speaking the alien words he is hearing inside of his head and successfully freeing the contents he tips the liquid down his throat eye and all.

Level up!: Malo is taking another level of warlock.
Spells: 1st level Armor of Agathys Malo picks up a second warlock 1st level spell slot as well.
Features: Agonizing Blast: Add cha bonus to Eldritch blast damage. Devil's Sight: Malo now has darkvision up to 120 feet in vanilla and chocolate magical darkness.
HP: Rolled 7+2

A new image has emblazoned itself across Malo as well!

This is what happens when you post late at night Lothire :v: you get my rambliest writing, haha.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Alan Maernos
HP: 23/23; AC: 17 Spells: 2 (L1)

As the group returns victorious, Alan refuses half his payment, as he'd previously said he would. He subsequently produces the bag of jasper stones, offering up two to be sold for the group's benefit, and donating the third to Oakwood, along with the entirety of his share of the gold collected from fallen foes. Following that, Alan barely made it out of the meeting hall before he was swarmed by his servants, who began interrogating him about his recent escapades. Qiric nearly fainted when he saw that Alan's shirt was stained, that the stain was blood was a secondary concern. Still followed by his fussy retainers, Alan proceeded to find the general store, and purchased a climbing kit with half of his pay.

Rather than join what was certainly merry revelry in the tavern, Alan returned to his lodgings to reflect on what he'd learned during his first real outing as an adventurer. Having fought against real enemies, he was certain he could strike with greater precision more often. Further, he felt that he'd finally figured out how to hold his swords properly without hindering his ability to cast arcane magic, just a meager smattering of spells he'd been taught several years ago. He also remembered to perform the weapon bonding ritual he'd been taught around the same time, a process that took two hours. Satisfied with how the day went, Alan decides to turn in early, that he might awaken all the earlier the next morning.

(Seemed the most logical way to explain how he suddenly has magic powers is "he always did, he's only just now able to use them".)

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

Varella Emberlight
[HP: 24/24] [AC:16]
Ki: 3/3
Hit Dice: 1d8 Hit Dice Used: 0/3
Equipment

Varella has attained level 3!

quote:

Gained ability: Deflect Missiles
Starting at 3rd level, you can use your reaction to deflect or catch the missile when you are hit by a ranged weapon attack. When you do so, the damage you take from the attack is reduced by 1d 10 + your Dexterity modifier + your monk level. If you reduce the damage to 0, you can catch the missile if it is small enough for you to hold in one hand and you have at least one hand free. If you catch a missile in this way, you can spend 1 ki point to make a ranged attack with the weapon or piece of ammunition you just caught, as part of the same reaction. You make this attack with proficiency, regardless of your weapon proficiencies, and the missile counts as a monk weapon for the attack.

Gain one ki point for a total of three

Unlock Monastic Tradition! Varella will follow the Way of the Open Hand.

Gained Monastic Tradition ability: Open Hand Technique
Starting when you choose this tradition at 3rd level, you can manipulate your enemy’s ki when you harness your own. Whenever you hit a creature with one of the attacks granted by your Flurry of Blows, you can impose one of the following effects on that target:
• It must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or be
knocked prone.
• It must make a Strength saving throw. If it fails, you
can push it up to 15 feet away from you.
• It can’t take reactions until the end of your next turn.

Mission aftermath and Oakwood roleplay to follow shortly.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag
[HP: 26/26] [THP: 8] [AC: 19]

Vorag was back to his old tricks upon the return to town. He boasted loudly and often of their victory, he described in gory detail the spider's ichor and the surprised looks on the barbarians' faces right before they died. And his impression of the horse's reaction to his commands gets guffaws from all the townsfolk.

Deep inside, he can tell that something has changed. The killings he had just participated in invigoriated him. Vorag felt more alive now than ever before. Part of it excites him, and part terrifies him. The bargain must be paid.

As he passes a merchant stall in town, he turns back - something turns him back. His eyes are drawn to a purple crystal, big enough to fit in his palm. "How much?" he asks. Ten gold seemed a trivial price. He next takes it to a jeweler, who attaches a clasp on the bottom, then threads a leather string through the clasp to form a necklace of the crystal. It looks a bit out of place among his armor, but he mentions it to no one and brushes off the question if asked.

Vorag now has False Life at-will, meaning he effectively has 8THP at all times.
Buying an Arcane Focus (crystal) in town, putting it on a necklace.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Bestiary
[HP: 27/27] [AC: 15] [Lvl1: 4/4] [Lvl 2: 2/2] [Wild Shape: 1/2]

To help ease the burden on the poor horses Bestiary picks up one of the others at random, Varella, and carries her upon his broad bear back. After some time they make their way back to town, and Bestiary returns to his normal form, to avoid frightening the locals too much. Before the day ends he hands out his magical berries to the others, or anyone else who looks rather hungry, providing a day's sustenance.
Other: Hit Dice (3d8) / Paralytic Gas (1/1 Recharge 5-6)
Items:
Effects:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Varella Emberlight
Equipment

The Retreat

The warband was close. The air was filled with the sound of horns and angry voices. Any moment now this side of the river was going to be filled with bloodthirsty orcs. Alan made his way over the bridge and headed west after Malo and the hunter. Varella started towards the bridge but stopped when she saw Kail, Vorag, and Bestiary approach the horses. “We’re out of time! The orcs will be here any second!” she called out to the trio.

Bestiary continued to make what sounded like horse noises. It was a bizarre sight to take in as he was still in the form of a great metal bear. She thought she heard she heard Vorag say “Here, horsey.” She’d laugh out loud if the situation wasn’t dire.

“I really hope you three know what you are doing.” She said to herself. She turned and made her way across the bridge.

She caught up with Malo, Alan and the hunter. They looked at her, then past her to look for the others. “They wanted to try and mount the horses.” She said at the unasked question. Those words hung in the air for a few moments before Varella urged them to keep moving.

The party kept moving westward. The sound of horses approaching from the east. The hunter dove into the nearest bush and started whimpering. “A fine good hiding does when you make so much noise,” Varella said to him. The horses were drawing closer. “Wait, orcs don’t ride horses…”

Vorag and Kail came through the trees riding on the barbarian horses with Bestiary plodding along side in his bear form. Alan let out a whoop.

“How in the name of Torm did you manage to get the horses to behave so quickly?” Varella said as she ran up to the trio. They looked at each other but said nothing. Then Vorag’s face spread into a great toothy grin. “Did you threaten to eat them? Nevermind I don’t want to know. I’m just glad you all made it in one piece.”

The others mounted up on the horses. Varella said she could continue to walk as to not overburden the animals any further. Bestiary seemed to disagree with this. He picked Varella up in his great metal jaw with surprising gentleness and placed her on his back. “Just when I thought things couldn’t get any more interesting.”

The party continued west until the sound of the orc warhorns was long gone. Bestiary eventually wished to revert to his normal form so Varella slid off his back. The Modron distributed his remaining goodberries. Though she hadn’t been injured she was tired and quite hungry. The berry helped restore her.

A welcome back

Their entrance to Oakwood took on the look of a parade. Workers and townsfolks came out to cheer their arrival and welcome back the hunter. His companions were overjoyed at his return but saddened at the confirmation that the others had perished. The party made their way to the bunkhouse and were met again by Sister Saori. She was overjoyed to see that Malo and the rest of the party had returned and managed to rescue the hunter. They told Saori of the adventurers they had undertaken during the quest. She listened with rapt attention about the battles, the warchief named Gizuk, and the fight with the Elk Tribe.

“Sister Saori you might be interested to know we encountered a druid by the name of Galhadra after we killed the giant spider in the Lurkwood. She claimed she had spoken to a Sun Soul monk and recognized the monk in Malo’s eyes. I’m going to assume that she meant you. We didn’t get to spend much time with her but she claimed that her and her circle were trying to beat back a blight that was infecting the forest. If she is who she says I would say that Oakwood has potential allies out there if you reach out to them. At the very least I’m sure she’d be glad to hear from you again.”

After their discussions are concluded and the reward is handed out the party leaves to go about their business before resting for the evening. Varella pulls Saori aside and confides that Malo had had a difficult time in the woods. She told her of the disappearance and the persistent itching she’d noticed.

“One more thing, Sister. A personal favor you might be able to do for me. Since I left the monastery I haven’t had a chance to meditate in a proper fashion. All that I have had since I have been on the road is a small pinch of incense here and there. If I’m lucky there was a roof over my head. I don’t suppose you have a personal shrine or know of a quiet spot where I could find some peace and quiet? I feel there is much to meditate on. Though I would very much enjoy your company afterwards. Like you said it has been a long time since you have been able to catch up with another monk. And I don’t think my companions would be interested in practicing the forms with me. They are more about the steel.”

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

HP:22/23 AC:13 SP: 0/0
Equipment

Malo stumbles back and forth as the potion begins to take full effect, his feet begin to sway under him as things become painfully clear, he watches from an outside perspective as his body unlatches the door and sways back and forth to collapse outside the room into the kitchen.

HP:8/8 AC:13 SP: 0/0
HD: 1/1-1d6
Tides of Chaos: Obtained
Spells:Spellslots obtained: 1st-Sorc-2
Equipment

Malo suddenly finds himself back in a memory, watching his body awaken in the lab the two students had bribed him into submitting to an experiment. His body face down on on the lab bench Malo is able to watch this time seeing with senses he did not have at the time the scene for what it is as foul tendrils of ethereal energy pierce their way through the planes and settle into the tattoo on his back which fills in with more detail as the seconds pass, realization settles in as he watches the light of chaos ingrain itself into his body.

As Malo watches from outside of his body he gains a slight understanding of the nature of the chaos working it's way across him. His mind sectioned off from the mental assault trying to force it's way into his mind Malo commands his body to move feeling his way through the house as he simply watches his past unfolding in a new light. Some of the alien words his body is whispering are still in the back of his thoughts and more and more of it is beginning to make sense.

Malo steels himself as his body finds what it is grasping for without a thought he quickly draws the kitchen knife across his chest making a shallow cut that disrupts the ritual circle that has formed. Malo snaps back to his senses minutes later a small amount of blood staining his hands and counter he's been leaning on, he simply grabs a rag from the counter pressing it to the minor wound and collapses exhausted into his father's large chair a smile on his face at having at the least temporarily sparing his sanity long enough to find someone to stop this.

Taking a point of damage for RP PURPOSES!

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 15, 2015

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
Varella and Saori

The Sun Soul Monk listens intently to the stories, of the druid, and shares concern over Malo after seeing him looking rather dower. She is however, optimistic, claiming him a very strong boy for one so young, that his ways have always been a bit strange, but that he has always managed to come through his ordeals in one way or another. She then addresses her request..

: "I find this place offers little in the form of something proper for meditation, but if you're willing to embrace a more natural side, I know of a place a short ways into the forest. A small but beautiful waterfall that calms the mind. Normally it is peaceful enough, one of the few spots not tainted, but with the recent activity, I would be cautious if you choose to go there. Alternatively, my bedroom.." Saori seems to blush and pause a moment, though even she is not certain why, ".. Ah, excuse me.. As I was saying, I have a corner of the room set up for my morning meditations. It is adorned with much of Lathander's graces, though that may prove unsettling if you are not a follower."

The horse (of course)

Vorag and Bestairy eventually find the time to shift through the horses bags - who better to analyse the worth or use of something than a robot? Both horses bags are packed with lots of forestry resources. Sturdy branches for firewood, recently acquired pelts, a variety of mushrooms, plants and insects for alchemical work, spellcasting components and other such miscellaneous knickknacks. In whole, the resources are traded to the only local merchant-type for a small bag of coins (20 gold. It's commoner stuff man). There were however, two items they decided to keep. Vorag obtains a pair of very high quality looking gauntlets, while Bestiary became intrigued by an amulet his scanners could not readily identify.

Magical items! It takes 10 minutes of fiddling/investigating/arcaning/playing around to figure out what they are. Or in Bestiary's case, 10 minutes of vigorous scanning. Bestiary can do this at any time, but something special is happening with Vorag..

Big Apple 3AM The Misadventures of Vorag, Oakwood, Pre-Midnight

For those with their own RP going, you can continue to work on your own stories during this event. There is a point in this segment where you could "happen" to wander into this and I will make that point clear when we come to it, but for now, Vorag is on his own.

In the one and only small-scaled (pun intended) tavern, the once immensely bustling place in the whole settlement has calmed. Kail's show and Vorag's bravado has delighted the people, and even attracted a large chunk of workers. Sadly, all good things end, and it's back to work - for the few who call this place home, back to bed, as the night has taken over.

Vorag finds himself in the now empty, dimly lit tavern. The sound of people outside the tavern door bustling with activity even this late of the night. He is, however, pleased as he nurses a fine mug of booze. A good day of battle, a good day of boasting of said battle. A proud new owner of a jewel upon his neck, and a pair of gauntlets recovered from the horses saddles. He had only just began to investigate this strange pair of hand-armor, when the ambient sounds of the outside suddenly become silent. It is oddly disconcerting, and a sensation of ill-being begins to creep up his spine.

A new sound begins to flutter into the room from its center. It sounds as though a bat has entered the room and lost its way, flapping its wings from corner to corner desperately looking for a way out. Yet Vorag sees nothing. Then comes the ringing of words, slowly and rhythmically. "Freedom has a price." The sound grows louder, the flapping more audible. It is as though his nerves are being tested, and he soon finds himself striving against the rising sensation of fear in his mind.

Vorag is being attacked! Roll a Wisdom Save to fight back the fear, beating a DC of 10. If unsuccessful, give me another with the same DC. If then again unsuccessful, give me one more but this time with disadvantage, same DC.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag

No way out.

That was out he felt, once. The bat, a dragonborn, both were trapped, walled in by others. Then the voice comes again...

Freedom has a price.

Bellowing in rage, Vorag rises (a bit wobbly, thanks to all the drink), rushes at a window and puts his gauntleted fist right through the glass. It shatters, giving the bat an escape route. In this case, the price for freedom will be a few gold for a new window.

fear save: 1d20 12, saved.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
Vorag's control of his own mind is strong, to be able to think and act rationally while under duress. Crashing open the window was a smart move, but for an entirely different reason than he imagined. Moon light shines into the room, and where once the bat was invisible to him, it now shined - revealing that the creature was no bat at all.

This tiny creature has the body and head of a demon, but the legs and winged arms of a bat. It flaps in place, confounded by the moon's light and shutting down it's mental assault on Vorag. It curses in a language Vorag does not comprehend.

Vorag has stunned the creature - a Quasit - with his trick, and can now be the first to act in a combat round!
*e: The tavern is the same one you started the adventure in, if you'd like a map to reference for this Theater Of The Mind layout.

Quasit - AC: 13 HP: 7
Vorag - HP: 26/26

Lothire fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 15, 2015

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag

Sheathing his blade, Vorag holds his empty hand towards the demonic entity before him.

"You were better off as a bat. Tell your master I won't be so easily scared, nor so easily collected. As for the gifts bestowed, it's time to test a new one."

The air between Vorag's hand and the quasit warps and twists, like waves of intense heat in a tightened beam. It lasts only an instant, then is followed by a circular pulse of red lightning, running down the warp-beam at insane speed, crackling as it blasts into the creature.

eldritch blast: 1d20+5 23 1d10+3 9. Hits for 9 force damage.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
The creature struggles against the beam, unable to squeeze out even a last word, "D-Da.." The beam overtakes the creature, ripping through it's body and causing it to explode in a blast of black ichor.

There is some singe on the wall opposite your blast, and a window IS broken, but at least the black goo is dissipating on its own, leaving behind no trace of what you just annihilated.

That's it! Players can show up now, you can think about it all, work on identifying your gauntlet, etc! The Next Part will happen at Midnight In-Game, so for those sleeping or away be ready! (or be awoken by others, whatever works).

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag

With that strange episode over, Vorag takes his seat once again, gets another drink and takes a long look at the new gauntlets. There was something about them...

ID'ing the items.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Varella Emberlight
Equipment

"Though I myself hear the words of Torm there are many brothers and sisters who look to Lathander for guidance in the Order of the Starry Sky. We have no patron god and the members worship whom or what they wish to. The orders mission has always been to protect the good people of the land and gather knowledge so it may be shared and preserved." Varella rubbed her eyes. "Forgive me, Sister. It has been a long day and I am rambling on. It's like once my mouth gets going it never stops and the words keep tumbling out. It isn't anything proper meditation and a good nights sleep won't fix. I am honored by your offer to share such a personal place with me." Varella bows to Saori in a sign of respect. "Perhaps tomorrow you can show me this waterfall. It sounds like it is quite a sight."

Varella is going to meditate then rest for the night barring anything coming up adventure or DM wise. I assume wherever she ends up resting someone will wake her if any trouble starts.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Alan Maernos
HP: 23/23; AC: 17 Spells: 2 (L1)

Awoken suddenly by a commotion from the tavern, Alan half-stumbles groggily into the room, slowly shaking the sleep from his mind. "I... I heard something, is everything quite alright?" As he looks around the room, a look of shock appears on Alan's face as he sees the scorched wall and broken window. "Vorag, I do believe you've had too much to drink. Perhaps you should get some sleep, before we find our welcome thoroughly worn out."

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag

"Nooo! I fffought a demon! It wassh rrright over there!!"

Vorag stands up to point at the blast on the wall, stumbles once, twice, then falls over onto the floor.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Vorag has a bit of time before Alan shows up and his inebriation kicks in, giving him a moments intimacy with the gauntlets. The metal that comprises the armor is scoffed here and there, but relatively clean, almost reflective, while the inside feels comfortable if maybe well used. The gloves appear well maintained, but must be quite old. How they could have fallen into the Barbarian's hands is quite the mystery.

When he dons them, a surge of strength courses through his body. When removed, he loses that feeling of strength.

You've obtained: Gauntlets of Ogre Power! While worn, your strength score becomes 19. This item is Wondrous - could that mean these magical goodies lead to another event all on their own?! Remember that item design is up to you, but this picture is the default image I have found.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
Midnight, Oakwood, and the Caravan of Plot Advancement

Outside Vorag's run in with the Quasit, and perhaps Malo's bloody mental trip, the night has seen you well rested. Some perhaps still sleep the night away, maybe if not by choice (thanks alcohol abuse), while others meditate and tend to themselves. Midnight has passed and while things have died down some, the settlement is still abuzzed with workers catching up on their quotas.

From the darkness of the night, what appear like floating lanterns make their way over to the settlement. Soon, that which carries these lanterns comes fully into view..

A line of wagons and carts comprise this traveling caravan, each one with a person hurrying to set up their goods for display as the lead wagon enters the settlement proper. Workers of all kinds begin to swarm, picking up trade tools and making deals that this small settlement is simply unable to provide. This goes on for hours, the lead wagon's merchant making open bargains on behalf of many of the caravan's wagon owners.

The caravan shops offer a bit more exotic things than the one merchant stall the settlement offers, along with all the basics. You may be able to find some low grade potions or scrolls, books, etc.

Enough hours pass to make it early morning, the crowd dies down and disperses. It would seem however, that the man in charge is still very active. Even somewhat panic-y. The reason for this soon becomes clear as he stands on his wagon and tries to be heard over the dispersing crowd.

: "Please, people! The trip from Waterdeep was far worse than it has ever been, going back may prove equally so. Monsters grow bolder, bandits more hostile. Although we have plans to take a different path, I fear with our numbers we cannot return home. If there is even a single brave soul among you, I can pay more than a fair wage!

It seems no one is biting. However, you recall Galhadra's words regarding your acquired venom sac. Jurrell was said to be at Waterdeep, the man needed to put the magical substance to use. Further more, it would seem this settlement has no more need of a type such as yourself.

This is what I meant about being pro-active, since there isn't really much driving you here. However, this is the next main plot for the game, so hopefully you can devise your reasons for taking a trip to Waterdeep! You should have managed your sleep/rest/etc during the last 8 hours even if you may not have RP'd a proper sleep or what have you, so even though it's closer to a very early morning in-game, you should be rested enough to be up and about (or maybe you let others handle this for you).

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Varella Emberlight
Equipment

Varella awake the next morning to find the little town buzzing from the arrival of a trade caravan. She crossed the yard with the intent of seeing what the traders had to offer. She might not need much to get by but you never knew when something interesting was going to show up. If nothing else one of the others might be interested in something she'd see.

Varella is going to go shopping for gear.

A little later on...

After finishing with the shop carts Varella notices a man climb on top of his cart and begin to shout to the crowd. She goes over to listen. The man goes on about how the road has become dangerous and he was looking for brave souls to help guard the caravan for a fair wage on it's trip back to Waterdeep. Galhadra had urged the party to see out the man named Jurrell in Waterdeep. She'd claimed he would be able to use the venom sac to make enhancements to their gear. She also thought he might be able to make use of the giant spider silk. "The others need to hear about this," she thought to herself. She went off to find them.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

HP:22/23 AC:1315 SP: 0/0

Malo is awoken as he has been many times in the past by the sounds of a caravan rolling into town, jumping up excitedly from his bed he is about to head out the front door when he recalls the previous evening, shirt in hand ready to be put he first notices the bandaging across his chest before realizing he is in his bedroom rather than the chair where he collapsed.

Stepping into the kitchen he sees his father asleep face first down on the table, the few medical supplies kept in the house strewn about him, this isn't the first time Malo has found his father sleeping at the table having come home from a late night preparing the bakery for the following day of work. He leaves his father to sleep, he'll find his way to his bed eventually.

Glancing to where he'd originally lost conciousness, Malo makes his way over to the expensive chair he has ruined by bleeding on it and waves his hand over it fingers pinched together as he says "Parvus Calumnia" and the minor cantrip sparks over the chair, Malo's blood and many older stains disappearing from the faded upholstery, he repeats this process until the chair is spotless and moves to the writing desk.

Siting down he pulls out a sheet of paper and envelope and begins to write a letter to his parents explaining everything that had happened, his failure througout school, his naivety in believing two people who ultimately could have killed him, the sudden surge of magic that had come to him, and the revelation that something else had brushed against him from elsewhere that was having an effect on him. He finishes out the letter with a simple goodbye and a wish that he will return soon having found a solution to his problems.

Folding the letter into an envelope he casts the same spell used to clean the chair, lighting the candle at the desk and seals the letter using a simple metal M stamp. Malo grabs his pack and takes a long look at his house hoping the next time he is here things are different for him. He places a bag of coin on the table gently so as not to disturb his father and leans the letter against it.

Shutting the front door behind him as quietly as possible Malo joins the early crowds in their shopping having to poke around a while before he is able to make a deal with the caravan and buy a set of armor that a ranger of Malo's rough build had sold to them.

His only purchase complete Malo edges off to the edge of the square resting against a tree until later in the morning when the call for help is given Malo walks up to the man and with a nod says "I'll be coming along"

Malo is leaving 100gp for his family and purchasing a suit of studded leather for 45gp.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
The morning sun begins to wash away the night when Malo approaches the caravan driver offering himself for the job. The man is apprehensive given Malo's young age, but he looks at the young man studiously, then claps his hands together with a smile.

: "I was just thinking I had met you somewhere before, and now I remember. Malo, yes? I've been dealing wares with your family for months now, Miss Humblefist? Always talking about you! But are you sure you could endure the rigors of the trip, my young friend?" He moves in close, not wishing to speak too loud, "It is not my intent to scare, but we have had such trouble coming this way. We believe some of the local areas may have fallen to.. Well, all sorts of unscrupulous types. No settlements or villages mind you, but old mines and the like. Of course, if you're up to the task, I have 30 gold in coins as an upfront payment, with another 10 when we reach Waterdeep. As well, if you happen to know some others interested, I can offer them likewise."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Bestiary
[HP: 27/27] [AC: 15] [Lvl1: 4/4] [Lvl 2: 2/2] [Wild Shape: 2/2]

Bestiary finds a quiet corner somewhere and sits down and begins studying the amulet. While the others sleep he does an in-depth scan of the amulet, and reviews his database of creatures so far. The flickering images and words through his mind calm him, reassure him, and solidify his purpose. Yes he will hunt down every creature he can and complete the Bestiary Eternal.

Around midnight he looks up as Vorag makes a commotion. But everything seems well in hand. Then some time later he hears another commotion. This time he looks outside and finds a caravan arriving. In the morning he takes a closer look, and hears the caravan master talking about Waterdeep and needing help. Then the man addresses Malo. He walks up to them.

"Designation Male, Human, Caravan Master. You seek help toward Waterdeep? What tasks do you need."
Other: Hit Dice (3d8) / Paralytic Gas (1/1 Recharge 5-6)
Items:
Effects:

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Malo smiles at the man as he is recognized, it was one of the benefits of being one of the few permanent residents of such a place.

Malo gives a small laugh and conversation with the man "Well sir this is the Lurkwood I wouldn't believe the best liar in the world if he said he'd lived here and not seen danger a time or two." Shaking the man's hand he nods to his worries about Malo's age and constitution "I made it down the road to and from Silverymoon alone both ways without dying, and well I was a student at the academy there learning magic so I should be fine on this trip." He motions with his hand off into town "Some folks came into town recently and helped Miss Humblefist with a spot of nastiness happening in the forest and I tagged along to assist them, we were just speaking last night about heading to Waterdeep so your arrival is quite the happy surprise sir!"

As Beastiary approches Malo gives the man a nod "here's one of my companions now, give me a short while and I should be able to find the others if they don't get here on their own as the word of a caravan heading to Waterdeep gets around. I'll go and give a poke around the obvious spots and see who I can find."

Malo is basically just going to the tavern to root out those that are there and bring them to the caravan master.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
Bestiary's goodie

Scan after scan reveals just a bit more each time, until finally the secrets of the magical trinket is unveiled. When held and focused, Bestiary's robotic mind is filled with a series of images depicting possible outcomes of all sorts of scenarios. If he concentrates just right, he can focus on one of those images, letting him see and manipulate to a certain degree the outcome of that event.

Amulet of Divination allows Ryuujin to select any one roll and replace it with a result of his own choosing. This can be done once per day.

It's a pretty chill day, so we'll move things along and let people RP the parts they'd like..

Between Varella and Malo, the group is quickly aware and ready to join the merchant on his way to Waterdeep. The head merchant is quite happy to have the crew on board, even one as unique as Bestiary or Vorag, as it seems not a soul else is interested. You are given your 30 gold with the promise of 10 more on arrival. It does concern you perhaps a bit, that you are 6 for a caravan of 8 to 9 wagons. Regardless, the leader merchant is quite eager to be set off on the trip as the morning sun rises. You are given some time to collect your things before being placed somewhere on the lead wagons.

Gettin' things in order, etc..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
Caravan ride to Waterdeep

Waterdeep is several days away, with a brief stint at Longsaddle being one of few stopping points. It may not be the longest trip you've ever done, but days spent on a wagon are not the most pleasant. Still, many of the wagons are empty from selling off their goods, giving you plenty of places to choose to defend the caravan from, while water and food will not be an issue.

There are 5 carts and 4 wagons in the caravan that you can station yourself at. Up to 2 people can be in a single wagon or cart at a time, but you can always walk or ride next to a wagon/cart of your choice as well. We'll label the caravans 1 through 9; 1 being the furthest forward of the caravan, 9 being the tail end. The lead wagon is considered wagon 0 and is the leader merchants wagon, who does not have room inside for anyone. You can also travel ahead or behind the caravan some distance, but not too far. There is at least one "helper" person per wagon who may also be a merchant himself, but all under the employ of the leader merchant.

The horses can be ridden alongside the caravan, or will be at the end attached to the tail cart. Alan's cart will also be attached near the end of the caravan (making it a possible 10th cart to occupy, should he decide there be room on it).

Behind you Oakwood begins to fade in the distance. Saori had been there to see you off, and thank you one last time for bringing what peace you could to a troubled settlement. It is a shame you must leave Lurkwood as it was, but you know that the world is filled with problems that you and yours could never hope to solve. You do the best you can, killing that which needs it, helping those that deserve it, getting stronger and making some coin along the way.

Taking to your own method of time passing while remaining vigilant, you find that the caravan has moved onto a new road. One that seems very ill-kept and rugged. The head leader begins to shout back down the caravan line, talking to any who listen.

: "This was known as the Long Road some years ago, back before the incident with the arcane magic going upside down. It's been neglected a long time, other paths were supposedly safer. I can assure you, that has not been the case lately! I still expect trouble, but that's why I hired our friends here. We'll be finding Longsaddle somewhere along the way, but we won't be staying there long.” There is a bit of an ominous tone to that last comment.

Day 1

Look at my amazing paint skill.

To the east is the river that flows out of Lurkwood, joining with the River Surbrin as it continues southwards. All around you is lush green grass laid over rolling hills as far as the eye can see. Much further west is a section of elevated hills, housing a village called Griffon's Nest that supposedly plays home to tribes of Uthgardt Barbarians. Such factions are spread far and wide in the savage frontier, but the merchants on the trip assure you those particular Barbarians know the importance of trade and can actually be somewhat agreeable.

As the caravan continues along, a sharp growl pierces out from the west. Not too far in the distance, two large beast have chased down a single deer, killing it with powerful, dragon-like jaws. Those familiar with the creatures know it as an Allosaurus, a lizard-like creature with thick legs and sharp claws that thrives in savage lands. As they eat their fresh catch, they seem aware of the caravan, but don't appear concerned in the least about it.

These ones are likely aggressive should you approach, but they are content the way they are and the caravan can continue along without issue.

More will be on the way, but I'll give time for people to catch up for now.

Lothire fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 16, 2015

• Locked thread