Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Name: Malo Baker
HP:23/23 AC:15 SP: 0/0
HD: 1/1-1d6 2/2-1d8
Tides of Chaos: Spent
Spells: Spellslots open: 1st-Sorc-2 Lock-0

Somewhat unnerved by the sounds of combat with something he can't see Malo ventures further towards the back of caravan while still maintaining a good distance, as more of the combat becomes visible to him he sees Varella land a solid blow only for the Ankheg to simply deflect away her other strikes. Seeing her in a spot of trouble he simply takes aim his crystal in his hands and says " Praecantatio Telum" and three bolts of light jump from his hands streaking towards the beast, as the bolts are about to strike they gain streaks of black throughout promptly flirting into the creatures open maw and smashing out in different directions.

Malo smiles as the large creature slumps to the ground but his celebrations are cut short as a crackle of chaotic energy surrounds him momentarily and the grass at his feet ignites where he stands, a small fire spreading around him as he tries to stomp out the small flames new little fires kick up in the indents his boots leave in the grass.

Moving to i18 and casting magic middle on ankheg 2 it takes 10 force and 3 necrotic damage[7619] tides surge activates 57 "for the next minute, any flammable object you touch not being carried or worn by another creature bursts into flame"

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
Malo's magic bores large, blackened chunks out of the wounded Ankhed, leaving it a messy pile of gore on the ground.

26/26+8(*):rolldice: 23/23:rolldice:
23/23 19/24
24/24:rolldice: 25/25:rolldice:
Ank 1 AC:14 HP:31

Lothire fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 18, 2015

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Sephaerinus Kail
[HP: 25/25] [AC: 16][Spells: 1/3][Healing Kit: 9/10]

"Can EVERYONE shoot crazy laser beams except me?" Kail shouts incredulously at Vorag's display. "Varella, are you going to start lighting things on fire with harsh stares, or something?"

Bolstered by his allies managing to slay the other ankheg, Kail declares his divine enmity toward his target. He drives his glaive's blade between the ankheg's armor plating and deep into the soft flesh--and this time, he channels his divine fury into the blow. His glaive's blade burns with glowing fury as it slices through flesh, muscle, and tendon alike.

Bonus action: channel divinity: Oath Vow of Enmity vs my ankheg! I get advantage on attack rolls for 1 min or until it hits 0 HP. Which will probably be very soon.
Oathed-out advantage vs ankhy: 2d20k1+5 21 1d10ro2+3 7
Using Divine Smite: Divine Smite: 2d8 9 radiant damage, for a total of 16 damage.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
A downward thrust slips through armor, while the glow of his oath sheaths the glaive and drives it ever deeper. You've never seen such a large creature flail so wildly in pain before.

26/26+8(*):rolldice: 23/23:rolldice:
23/23 19/24
24/24:rolldice: 25/25
Ank 1 AC:14 HP:15

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag
[HP: 26/26] [THP: 8] [AC: 19]

"I'm a little...out of practice."

Another bolt blasts outward from Vorag, going even further off course.

Eldritch blast: 1d20+5 8 1d10+3 9, miss.

Move to H10.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Alan Maernos
HP: 23/23; AC: 17 Spells: 2 (L1)

Alan shrugs as Vorag's second shot passes harmlessly by the ankheg. "There's no shame in it, friend, I only started casting these spells today, I've no doubt my aim will need some practice, as well." Alan's second fire bolt nails the Ankheg square in its chitinous face, though the force behind it is meager compared to the previous attempt. "Well, don't feel too bad, Vorag, you'll get it in no time, I'm sure."

(19 to hit the Ankheg. For two whole damage. Moving six squares closer to the ankheg.)

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
Vorag's bolt veers off while Alan's seems to break apart on contact, but it caused damaged none the less.

26/26+8(*) 23/23
23/23 19/24
24/24:rolldice: 25/25
Ank 1 AC:14 HP:13

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
Bestiary's turn because he was TOO BUSY TO PLAY DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS ON AN ONLINE FORUM
Stick thumpin' and eyeballin': 1#1d20+5 17
Damage for both eyehumpin' and stick thumpin': 1#1d8+3 6

Bestiary audibly beep boops his way over to the creature, simultaneously scanning it while also hitting it with a stick, frequently requesting the specimen to refrain from its erratic movements during his scans.

Ed's turn

Hunger is no longer strong enough to prolong the creature's fighting instincts. In a desperate move, it begins slamming its powerful arms into the ground, flinging dirt directly underneath it up into the air, frantically digging while creating a very messy style smoke screen of dirt around it. Soon it has dug 10 feet directly into the ground. You can manage to look down only to see its exposed flank as it continues to claw its way towards safety.

Launch a firecracker into this thing's behind and end the fight! Or let it get away. Then take care of the wounded horse and any other RP sensibilities you'd like before I move things along tomorrow morning-ish.

:rolldice:Everyone:rolldice:
26/26+8(*) 23/23
23/23 19/24
24/24 25/25
Ank 1 AC:14 HP:7

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Sephaerinus Kail

Quickly dropping his glaive and drawing a javelin, Kail hurls the pointy thing at the ankheg but somehow catches just dirt!

Free: drop glaive.
Move: draw javelin.
Action: Jav-a-butt: 2d20k1+5 11 1d6+3 7 Whiff.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Tides of Chaos: recharged and spent again

The first creature down Malo moves forwards around the backs of the cart a line of flames trailing where he runs and sputtering out in the rain damp grass as he reaches the edge of the Ankheg's hole he casts his hand downwards sending a beam of force after the retreating creature.

Moving to f12 and tides eldritch blast down the hole 7/14 to hit[7625] for 4 force damage[7626](I punched the wrong modifier in so the recorded result is wrong) Oh god we're never going to kill it!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Alan Maernos

Alan shrugs and launches a volley of magic missiles at the Ankheg, ending its life at long last. "I swear on my honor, you are all my equals in skill. I'm just having a good day, I'm sure."

(No rolls needed, the missiles do enough to kill it on all 1s.)

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Sephaerinus Kail

Kail is not having this poo poo. He draws his longsword and leaps down the hole, blade held downward, and stabs the fleeing ankheg in the rear end until it dies.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Mar 19, 2015

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
assuming control

Bestiary
[HP: 27/27] [AC: 15] [Lvl1: 4/4] [Lvl 2: 1/2] [Wild Shape: 2/2]

"Smug Statement: And you are a flaming retard."

Bestiary rushes forth, to scan underslung-flamethrower the ankheg.

Action: Produce Flame: 1d20+5 = 22; 1d8 = 2 :flaccid:
Other: Hit Dice (3d8) / Paralytic Gas (1/1 Recharge 5-6)
Items:
Effects:
Trinket 23 A brass orb etched with strange runes

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
Stop me if you've heard this one. An ank digs a hole, and is followed by a few magic missile bolts from a fighter, an eldritch bolt cast by a guy setting everything on fire, an oath sworn paladin thrusting his longsword into its butt and a flaming robot. The ank dies.

Alright, so it's not a very funny joke. But the last Ank is dead and Kail is kind of stuck in the hole that is quickly smelling like sweaty feet wrapped in leathery burnt bacon. One of the horses is still bleeding quite badly in the tall grass and the rain is not stopping at all. The merchants? Seem to be more upset with Malo threatening to light the caravan on fire than anything else. It wasn't really their horses being targeted, after all.

But really, someone ought to take care of that poor horse.

Everything happens. The last thing is dead. I'll have more tomorrow morning regarding useful animal parts (of which you should give me ideas about by posting about them!). I hope you enjoyed reading this Trast!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Alan Maernos

(Quick Knowledge check, enough to know about Ankheg scales according to various Monster Lore charts I've seen.)

As the giant bugs are finished off, Alan calls his retainers over and the four of them begin working together to pull the more recently-deceased ankheg completely out of its attempted escape tunnel. "I recommend the rest of you work on the other of the pair, then we should get the chitin off these creatures. Any reasonably talented blacksmith can turn ankheg scales into plate armor, and it's considerably lighter than steel. The most common use is full plate, as the scales are a bit difficult to procure, given the danger, and it's thus best to make the most of each shell, as a single adult ankheg can make one suit of full plate. Though, I'd personally like a breastplate. In fact, two shells could probably make three breastplates, given their size. Were it not for Bestiary's... 'unique' body, I'd recommend one to him, as the most desirable feature of ankheg plate is that it is not metal, and thus druids are not restricted from wearing it. The lady Galhadra did confirm that he's a druid, didn't she? In any case, this is quite fortuitous, aside from the injuries that poor horse suffered, and I'm sure our resident healers are more than happy to help in that regard." As Alan and his servants finish extracting the ankheg, they then go to work, tearing the chitinous plates from the corpse, each of them trying not to look too hard at what they're doing. Even Alan, unflappable as he tries to appear, seemed to find the exercise a little unpalatable.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Tides of Chaos: spent

The combat over Malo springs back and forth on his feet finding a perch on some of the disturbed earth the Ankheg has kicked he stays there for the short remainder of the wild surge until he feels the magic surrounding his body dissipate, giving his foot an experimental tap on the grass he nods and goes about his business as Alan begins directing people about handling the deceased monsters.

Striding over to the other side of the caravan Malo sees the injured horse, quickly snatching up a feed back and filing it with oats, he pulls a healing potion from inside of his pack and tips the small vial of healing fluid in, mixing it throughout the feed. Approaching the horse slowly Malo steadies the beast and fits the feeding bag over it's mouth waiting with it as it's wounds heal.

Yay for using potions I was probably never gonna get into anyway!(Anytime soon anyway :v:) 6 horse hp from that potion. I'm sorry horse :cry: we took too long. :(

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Mar 19, 2015

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Man that was a lot of posts while my power was out.

Bestiary
[HP: 27/27] [AC: 15] [Lvl1: 4/4] [Lvl 2: 1/2] [Wild Shape: 2/2]

While Malo tries to feed a wounded horse a healing potion Bestiary begins to dissect the ankheg's seeing if there are any useful parts, as well as furthering his data upon their kind. When he is done he will inspect the horse to see how it is doing after Malo's attempt to feed it potion.
Other: Hit Dice (3d8) / Paralytic Gas (1/1 Recharge 5-6)
Items:
Effects:
Trinket 23 A brass orb etched with strange runes

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Varella Emberlight
[HP: 19/24] [AC:16]
Ki: 1/3
Hit Dice: 1d8 Hit Dice Used: 1/3
Healing Kit 9/10 charges remaining
Equipment

I was wondering why the guys made a turn for you, Ryuujin. Losing power is never fun.

"Don't worry about that, Kail. I never got the hang of breathing fire back at the monastery!"

The party finished off the Ankheg on the right and turned their attention to the left. Outnumbered and hurt it began to dig a tunnel to escape in. Varella watched as everyone ran to the mouth of the tunnel and tossed all manner of spells, missiles, and finally themselves down onto the giant insect. There was the sound of sizzling and crunching and battle cries. Finally the ankheg was dead. Alan and his trio of attendants got to the task of digging out the creature and declared his intent to harvest the tough chitin plates to make armor with. Given the smells and the squishing sounds coming from their harvesting Varella had to admit that Alan wasn't acting at all like a spoiled Waterdeep noble. Varella still chuckled when a particularly bad odor or sound made him dry heave. Varella looked down at the burned tatters of her robe and wished his people luck in getting those kinds of stains out. Still the chitin would make for some sturdy armor if made by the right hands. The claws might make for interesting weapons as well.

Sadder was the work Bestiary and Malo were doing. Vorag's horse had taken a bad mauling from the ankhegs. She hoped the two of them could put their magic to good use and heal the creature. The other animals were already spooked enough from the attack. Having to put one down would only make things worse.

Varella went back to her wagon to fetch her healing kit again. This time she took out a small vial that was for treating burns. Applying the liquid to some more clean bandages she placed it on the acid burn. "The stinging sensation means it is working," she remembered the sage who taught healing at the monastery say. She gritted her teeth as stinging continued. Soon it ebbed and she pulled the bandages away revealing irritated but now intact skin. She wrapped more bandages around the area to protect it. She also cut away the ruined portions of her robe top leaving it cropped. With the tailoring she was starting to look like a tavern dancer. Add in the bandages and it would have to be a particularly rough tavern.

"If we're ever on a caravan again and the leader says he knows a short cut I'm going to punch his head clean off."

If Bestiary makes any goodberries Varella would be interested in them for healing.

Trast fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 20, 2015

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Alan Maernos

Alan chuckles as Varella complains about the shortcut. "There's no need to be so put out. Everyone's in fine shape, even the horse will be right as rain in a few moments. And we obtained ankheg shells for our trouble! Not inconsiderable compensation. I'd say that we've come out well ahead for having taken this shortcut." He and his servants are now loading up the ankheg shells. The large plates still have small bits of gore on them, fortunately the smell isn't very strong now that they've been removed from the body.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

Varella Emberlight
[HP: 19/24] [AC:16]
Ki: 1/3
Hit Dice: 1d8 Hit Dice Used: 1/3
Equipment

"That all may be true. But you've still got a chunk of ankheg guts stuck to your boot there." Varella points in the general direction of Alan's feet where a gooey chunk of bug monster clings.

Trast fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 20, 2015

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Sephaerinus Kail

Alan and his company are more interested in the ankheg in the hole than helping the half-elf out, but Kail nonetheless manages to scramble out with their "help." He moves to check on the horse. Malo was trying to feed it, and Bestiary was doing... whatever it is that he does. Kail slowly moves to the horse, to avoid spooking it, and very gently lays a hand on an uninjured part of the horse. Healing magic courses through his hand and into the horse, staunching the blood loss and knitting its wounds closed.

Spending however much of my Lay on Hands (15 HP max) to heal the horse. If need be I will also use my last spell slot to cast a Cure Wounds spell.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
The skin of a Ankheg

Not unlike the cracking of a crab's shell, it takes quite a lot of work to dissect the creatures. Course, you're more after breaking the shells off intact, rather than for the meat underneath. The caravan members don't seem to care, as they only want to get back to sleep, though the caravan leader takes an interest in your doings and gives you access to a few extra tools should you need 'em. Most particular is the rain cloaks, given that the weather shows no sign of giving up its downpour this night.

Surprisingly light for something so durable, the deed gets done. Alan's assessment of making armors is an accurate one, with the supervising caravan leader adding to it..

: "I know a man, he's the capable sort. Not sure he ever dealt with something like this, but he's clever in his work. When we make it to Waterdeep, I can see, perhaps, about introductions.." He lets his sentence trail off there as he returns to his wagon for the night.

Horse

With no real energy to act on instinct, the horse simply lays there as Malo prepares the bag. It doesn't respond much as he slips it on, but it does once it realizes food as been put in its face. It eats slowly, but surely the potion begins taking over and its wounds regenerate. But the process is slow and by the time the creatures have been taken for their shells, the horse still lacks in energy to stand. Kail has no trouble placing a hand on the horse, letting his faith restore its health. Within' minutes the creature is much more healthy, standing and moving without issue. It acts much more malleable to the group as it's re-attached to the back wagon, the other horse having calmed down fully once its fellow has returned to his place.

With your salvaged goods in hand and horses both healthy and secured, the caravan leader goes about waking the drivers of the caravan and moving forward another hour of travel. He had feared the remains of the creatures would draw in even more trouble, taking precaution before settling the caravan back down for the rest of the rainy night.

Day 3 is comin'! Getting a little wrapped up this morning so it'll take a bit. This is resuming your Long Rest so anything spent is regained, etc.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
Day 3, the Caravan and the.. What, Really?

The rain has never let up since the night before, greeting you well into the hours of the morning. Some continue to take refuge in the wagons. Others trade dry comfort for space the outside can provide, cloaked in what rain gear they have.

Along the path the caravan rolls, splashing through mud puddles with the ever vigilant leading merchant at the head. In the distance, a towering figure that reaches for the skies begins to enter view. He grabs hold of his spy glass, entirely unable to determine what it is. The thought of Longsaddle runs across his mind, and for the first, the idea that maybe this road trip was not as brilliant as he originally believed. Some of the group may begin to spot the distant object themselves, finding the caravan continues forward.

Like an image coming into focus, the whole of the caravan begins to see the object for what it is..

A beanstalk rising from the ground into heights well beyond your sight. Massive and sturdy, it seems to have grown from somewhere in the middle of the road. The lead merchant wipes his spyglass frequently, focusing in on one particular spot very intently. It isn't until the caravan closes in on the beanstalk that he seems to have found what he was looking for; a look of disbelief in his face. He orders an abrupt halt, dismounts from his vantage point and moves back along the wagons collecting the party. Other riders of the caravan are gossiping and guess-working what the reason for the beanstalk could be, but most simply wish to ride around and avoid it. The lead merchant has something else in mind. Once he has collected all of you together, he speaks..

: "No doubt you see what I see; this beanstalk of enormous proportions. We tread close to Longsaddle, home of the infamous Harpell Wizards. I cannot say I did not expect to see such a possibility as this.. However, it is more complicated than that." He hands his spyglass over to the group, each taking a look in turn. "Some distance up the stalk is a shack trapped in its winding vines. I fear I know the man who owns this shack, ironically, the same man I was thinking of introducing you to for your newly acquired ankheg parts. Jurrell Feiloom - an auspicious individual. Secretive, with places like this across the region for his works. I.. May have had some dealings with him, quite unfavorable ones and it may be that I owe the man something of a debt. If there was some way I could convince you to investigate the shack, perhaps save him should he need help.."

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Alan Maernos

Alan reaches into his supplies and pulls out a satchel. "It appears this climbing kit was a prudent purchase after all. I suppose we'd better get climbing. If we're lucky, we may find more than just an imperiled blacksmith."

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Varella Emberlight
[HP: 24/24] [AC:16]
Ki: 3/3
Hit Dice: 1d8 Hit Dice Used: 0/3
Equipment

"What kind of unfavorable dealings? And what kind of debt might you owe to a man who's home is up on a giant beanstalk that was quite likely made by a bunch of 'infamous wizards' as you so lightly put it?" Varella said making an emphasis with her hands at the infamous wizard part. There was no telling if the man whom the caravan leader claimed, and by no small coincidence they also sought, was up there. And anyone who ever wished to live a long life treaded lightly around wizards and recluses who were owed mysterious debts.

Persuasion check on Caravan Leader rolling 1d20-1. Result is 12 with modifier.

I apologize if I should have rolled insight instead of persuasion there. I'm trying to find out what we might be stepping into. If it helps any I rolled 12 again and I have a much better modifier on insight. :lol:

Trast fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 20, 2015

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
The man shifts his collar a little, a bit off-putted by the prying.

: "My.. Ahem, our dealings were done in confidence. I assure you it was nothing unscrupulous. They also have nothing to do with the current situation.. At least I can't imagine so. The man is quite an accomplished tradesmen with a variety of skills in the field. Such is my dealings with the man. None of which include a beanstalk, or even the Harpells. It's just.. Well.. When something of this strange a caliber happens in this area, most would look to the local wizardry. I used the word "Infamous" for a reason.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Tides of Chaos: Available
Spells: Spellslots open: 1st-Sorc-2 Lock-2

Malo gapes at the beanstalk as it comes in to view the sheer scale of the thing boggling his mind and then he recalls the real danger of travelling the road to Waterdeep or to be fair going anywhere between the Crags and the Evermoors, sooner or later you'd run into the blasted Harpells.

Malo recalls his very first day of schooling a question about them being asked by a fellow student and the teacher clamming up immediately and dismissing the student for the day, they were not a subject to be mentioned lightly. During his stint working in the stacks of the school library he'd come across several tomes in the restricted areas that went into some of the details of their insane antics, he'd leafed through them briefly before dutifully returning them to their sealed rooms in the forbidden sections.

Remembering Harpell History: :science:17[7668][

Needless to say Malo's palms find his face and he drags them down slowly as he hunches down on his knees clearly exasperated, he sighs and mutters under his breath "this was going so good, of course they had to show up."

Standing from his hunched position distaste clear on his face Malo sighs again looking upwards at the beanstalk he cannot help letting his hand come to rest palm down against his chest above where the tattoos have expanded, he can almost feel the mark pressing against it's boundaries as it tries to heal the small scar marring it. If anyone could do something about it a family of completely insane casters would probably hit the bulls eye there, Malo clicks his tongue annoyed figuring that when insane world bending things are happening it's probably the fault of a nearby wizard, figuring one of them might be up there Malo steps towards Alan as he prepares to climb.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 20, 2015

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Alan Maernos

Alan raised an eyebrow at Malo's apparent dismay. "Now, Malo, the Harpells may be... eccentric, but it's not as though we're going to be dealing with Red Wizards. In a general sense, they mean well, and have certainly done more to aid the people of the Sword Coast than their experiments did to harm it. My family has dined at the Ivy Mansion more than once, and I can say they're at least more friendly than most of the nobles I know."

(Thought I'd roll History to see what I knew of the Harpells' civic reputation and general activities as part of local politics, since they're on the Council of Lords and all. Turns out Alan knows quite a bit about them.)

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Varella Emberlight
Equipment

It looked like that was all she was going to get out of the caravan leader so she went to get her supplies. Rope, pitons, hammer, it was all where she had packed them. As she checked her gear she tried to remember anything she'd ever heard about these Harpell wizards.

Studying wizard lore was never her strong suit. Rolling 1d20, result is a 10.

She brought her gear back up to the head of the caravan. "This beanstalk isn't going to climb itself."

Varella is ready to climb the beanstalk. Also since I haven't posted it yet have a vignette.

Varella's memories aka Varella breaks things Pt. 2 posted:

Varella breaks things: Part 2

“This way, Varella,” the woman said. Her name was Sister Aermethwen Haeelon. She was the person responsible for Varella’s acclimation to life in monastery on her first day there and the many days to come. She was elven woman who had been with the Order of the Starry Sky for over seventy-five years. Being an elf she didn’t look a day over thirty but was likely far older. She was showing Varella around the grounds. They just left one of the dormitories and entered a large courtyard. Sitting on benches around a stone table were two monks in initiates robes, a human woman and a half-elf man. The woman had a stack of cards in front of her.

“This is Sister Isabella Loyalar and Brother Ulavor. They are initiates who joined the order earlier this year.” Sister Haeelon gestured to Varella. “This is Varella Emberlight. She has just arrived today to joined the Order and will be initiated once her acclimation is complete.” They greeted Varella and asked her and Sister Haeelon if they would like to stay for the first reading.

Sister Haeelon took a seat so Varella did as well. She took a closer look at the deck of cards. Mystic symbols and flowing designs adorned the back of the top card. They were divination cards. She looked at Isabella and asked her if she read the fates.

“Me? Oh no it’s Ulavor who does.” Isabella pushed the deck over to him. “But I did make the cards. I drew every design myself. I love to draw and paint. It’s a hobby of mine.”

“Sister Loyalar is being modest. She is already one of the most talented artists in the order.” The young woman blushed at the praise.

“Ulavor needed a new deck for readings and he asked me to make him one. This is going to be the first reading and I insisted on being here for it!”

Ulavor had begun to deal out the deck. He was whispering something to himself in elven that Varella couldn’t quite make out. He overturned the first card and announced it as the Warrior card, saying it was a good sign. Then he paused and stared at the card. He pushed it across the table to Isabella. She looked at it, then at him, then back and forth between Varella and Sister Haeelon. The older monk reached over and picked up the card. She studied it for a time and then spoke.

“It seems that fate is speaking to you this day,” Haeelon said and placed the card in front of Varella. The card itself was intricately detailed and full of colors. It showed a monk in a battle stance. Behind her was a green field with a great river flowing through it. Trees were broken on the shore line. Before the monk was a great stone that was broken into two pieces. The monk was tall and strong with flowing red hair, green eyes, and wore a necklace with a ring on it. From the ring a small flame seemed to flicker. Without realizing she’d done it Varella had reached up to touch her signet ring which hung from its necklace in front of her blouse.

“This is a trick,” Varella asked. “A joke being played on me because I am new here?”

Ulavor protested and stated he would never make a mockery of the fates. Isabella was shaking her head, wide eyed. “It can’t be a trick! The inks I used take almost two days to dry properly. I wouldn’t let Ulavor touch them until then. And Sister Haeelon just said you arrived today!”

Haellon raised her hand. “Be at ease all of you. This is no trick.” She turned her eyes to Varella. “This is the fates speaking to you through Sister Loyalar’s brush. There is a great deal in the world that we do not understand and which chooses as it will to make itself known. If and when it does decide to be seen it is in ways that often seem strange to us. It is up to us to interpret their signs as best we can. Now let us go young lady. There is still much to see and do today before it is over.”

As Haellon and Varella rose from their bench Isabella sprung up from hers and grabbed the card. She held it out to Varella. “You should take this. It was obviously meant for you to have.”

Varella took the card from her. “Thank you.” She didn’t know what else to say. It was such a strange thing to experience. Isabella promised to come find Varella later and help her adjust to life in the monastery. As the pair walked away Varella she heard Ulavor complain about missing a card from his deck. Isabella chided him and states that fate had already decided where the card was meant to be.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
Most of what Malo remembers is in the Wikia entry, but not the Ivy Manor or the History. Alan is aware of all of it, While Varella knows little other than the eccentric part.

I'll be moving things along again in a bit. No need to athletics rolls for now.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
: "Please do let me know what you find up there. A note you could drift down by rock, whatever crafty thing you can manage. I doubt our voices will reach each other at that distance. We of course shall await you here. You are our guards, after all."

The ground underfoot has been cracked open from the thick vines that form the beanstalk. From the base of the beanstalk, you work your way up using the age old method of improvised footholds and the like. After clearing the base, things become easier as you realize that the beanstalk looks to be comprised of many stalks that weave and cross, where such thick stalks form impromptu walkways that twist in a large circle while climbing ever upwards. At times these walkways shift downwards, twist or end, and you're forced to improvise once more, using vines or your own gear to reach another thick-stalk walkway leading you further upwards. The demand on upper body strength may be a little difficult for Malo at times, but he soldiers through all the same.

Some time passes as you ascend, finding the beanstalk to remain fairly rigid despite the heavy rain. With so much plant ducking and twisting over head, you even manage to remain out of much of the rain when nearer the core of these twisting stalks - though frequently must make trips to the outside portions in order to continue your climb.

Eventually you spy the shack overhead, wedged inside the beanstalk and perforated by numerous smaller vines. As you close in, you find the extent of the damage to be quite serious. Some smaller variations of stalk have busted through the floor and roof, while smaller vines twist and weave inside and out its openings.

There are two entry points into this shack. The door that has fallen down is the main entry that can be walked through - a big enough stalk runs under it that acts as a walkway (C1). The window at F3 can be accessed, but there is no floor in that square (F3) and you must make an athletics check to either jump in, or acrobatics to use a vine for leverage inside (both of which are Easy checks and failure will not mean falling to your death). If you decide to enter, tell me by what entrance and I'll describe things from there.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Varella Emberlight
Equipment

"Damaged or not there is no telling if there are any traps or wards on this place. We need to be careful."

Varella starts looking around outside the shack for anything that could be dangerous.

Perception Check: 1d20+3 17

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
Outside the shack

Varella finds most of the shack is held up by the stalks which pierced through it. There is one stalk that can act as a walkway which runs underneath the doorway and to the north (on the map, the walkway goes from C1 to B1 and A1 off into Story Mode area). All around she sees cracked walls and fractured points, where vines wrap around any holes and openings either new or purposefully forged. In her thoughts, it may look as though the beanstalk could have grown from under the shack, only to run it through and take it along as it grew. There is nothing else otherwise noticeable about the structure's exterior.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Malo huffs and puffs a moment as the group reaches a semi-solid standing point, he grabs a vine and gives it a brief tug to test it's stability and holds it as his wind returns. Sufficiently rested after the hard climb and staring at this impaled shack Malo's mind goes back to his days working in the forbidden section of the library. It was set up to only be accessible by the librarians appointed, a simple charmed ring handed to them that took control of a rope anchored to the roof that would swoop down and with a small application of magic wrap itself around them and bring them to the floor of their choosing. Malo had been able to pull the ropes down with the built in charm but before his little incident he'd never been able to cast the spell to change floors.

Years of rope climbing experience come to Malo in this instant and he grabs a vine looping it around his thigh to allow his weight to rest on the vine itself rather than solely using his body strength to move and swings to another vine closer to the open window, he likewise loops that vine around his other leg and lets the first swing free and pokes his head into the shack.

Malo's gonna go inside of the house via f3 and keeping a hold of that vine in case things get shaky :v: 20 acrobatics[7673]

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 20, 2015

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Sephaerinus Kail
[HP: 25/25] [AC: 16][Spells: 3/3][Healing Kit: 9/10]

Kail follows closely behind Malo through the window--this situation was so bizarre that the gang might as well take the kooky entrance. Making sure his gear isn't likely to snag on anything, the half-elf gets a running start and leaps across the gap. Fortunately his armor doesn't weigh him down too much and he clears it with ease, landing on his feet.

Athletics check: 1d20+3 22

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
Kail (presently at E4) and Malo (presently at E3) both look rather dashing as they effortlessly make it through the window - Malo being extra cautious, holding onto his vine when fully inside. They hear the cracks and groans of the wooden floor under their feet, and can see much of the damage is thorough enough to compromise the structure. Careful, easy movement is well advised in here.

Most of the furniture has been broken. Three thick stalks run through the middle of the shack, making it a little cramped to move around in. Most of what is visible here is what you would expect to find, though there are a few key points of interest worthy of further investigation..

Storage Box (E4, Kail's present location): A tipped over designer box lays upside down and open, where small coin-purse style bags are sprayed upon the ground nearby it.

Broken Barrels (D5): Several tools lay among the scattered debris of broken barrels. Seems this section housed a lot of his crafting materials. An oil-lantern has fallen to the floor near this area.

Table (B4): The table here has lost two legs and has many chunks broken out of it. It seems it may have suffered from fire damage on one end as well. On the end that still stands, a large bag rests.

The grassy-green squares are the three stalks which have perforated (and currently holding up) the shack.

Lothire fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 20, 2015

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Sephaerinus Kail
[HP: 25/25] [AC: 16][Spells: 3/3][Healing Kit: 9/10]

Despite the shack being quite small, and not seeing anyone else inside besides Malo, Kail calls out.

"Anybody home?"

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
The only sounds replying to Kail's inquiry is the falling rain outside, and the occasional creaking wood standing against the random gusts.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Taking his steps gently Malo pulls some of the slack of the vine in behind him, the damaged table across the room catching his eye he makes his way as gently as possible over to it to grab the bag resting on top, he immediately begins retracing his steps to the window intent on leaving the building with it in hand it before the whole thing comes tumbling apart around him.

At the window Malo pulls his cloak up about him and wraps the bag in it tightly winding the slack around his neck to hold the bag resting against his chest, he retreats back out the window swinging gracefully back over again to solid ground and informing the group of what the insides look like "It's pretty beaten up in there and I ain't getting a good feeling about being in there for very long or with more than one person, but there's a few things laying about we might bring to that Jurrell fella for some goodwill with him, Kail's still pokin' about lookin' for folks but it's pretty empty."

Moving to d4->c5->b4 and then leaving back out the way I came 19[7674] acrobatics Not opening the bag for what it's worth this ain't Malo's property and we know who it belongs to :v:.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

A Darker Porpoise posted:

Taking his steps gently Malo pulls some of the slack of the vine in behind him, the damaged table across the room catching his eye he makes his way as gently as possible over to it to grab the bag resting on top..

Malo takes his overly careful steps without issue, grabbing hold of the bag and pulling it off the table. He hadn't been able to see it with the darkness of this area, but a strap from the bag had snagged on the corner of the table. When he pulls, the table shifts and the damaged legs underneath give way. The crash is loud and the table does inflict some damage on the floor.. But for the next few moments, all is quiet.

And then, a groaning. It sounds as though the beanstalk itself was trying to talk, but the truth is more worrisome. The stalks impaling the shack begin to move, ascending upwards and grinding against the structure, while vines begin to grow and wrap at an alarming rate like living appendages, though grasping only at the wooden structure already wrapped by the stuff.

The whole shack shakes and threatens to throw Kail and Malo off balance. Wood begins to splinter and further crack underfoot. It is clear that, in moments, the entire place will give way.

At this point, Kail and Malo have 1 turn to act. Malo has the bag and makes his escape through the window.

Malo books it past Kail and leaps out the window, his hand never letting go of either the bag or the vine. He plants his feet firmly back on the outside beanstalk, safe from the now crumbling structure.

Now I believe Kail as something important to do. :D

• Locked thread