Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag
[HP: 12/12] [AC: 16]

Sitting at a large table in the tavern, Vorag welcomes any who want to speak. Curiousity is rampant here, and he is used to being the cause. He knows his appearance here, or anywhere, draws attention from every eye in the room. Scales, fangs and talons are a rare sight on the Sword Coast on any creature not trying to devour you. But Vorag was here for a very different reason...

Let them look, Vorag thinks. It gives him an excuse to appraise those around him eye-to-eye.

The room had its share of warriors. He could always pick their kind - his kind - out of a crowd. A human male clad in chainmail, a lengthy glaive nearby. Another man in scale armor with a retinue following him around. A female of their species, muscles taunt and eyes alert.

Then there were a few scholary types. An elven lass reading from a book...wait, no, that was probably a man despite the lack of muscles. Mammals...hopefully that one is a powerful mage, or he won't last long.

The only thing here that made no sense at all was that. The machine-man. Vorag had never seen its type in all his travels, nor fought anything similar in his time in the arena. His curiosity could not be sated by staring. Vorag nodded to those sitting with him, paused his tale of a battle and finished his mug in one long chug. Then he strode to the machine.

"I am used to being the rarest thing in any given tavern. But I believe you have me beaten tonight. It seems you are stealing the spotlight, Sir...?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag

Puffing out his chest and turning his head slowly left and right as he speaks (so as to show off his impressive fangs), Vorag assures Saori of their resolve.

"Make no mistake, we will do whatever is necessary to rid this land of whatever plagues it. No matter what it takes - even our very lives. If our blood must flow to make the land safe once again, so be it."

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag

As they march on, Vorag makes idle conversation.

"Goblins, yes? I fought a pair of them once. They were lashed together at the legs, making for an amusing diversion. But I was unarmed, and was forced to wear a closed steel helm to prevent me from..."

Vorag's normally confident voice drifts away as he remembers his past life. It doesn't seem to have been pleasant.

"Never mind that. The point is, they may seem small, but they are crafty. Stay on your guard. Even you, Beasty, though I bet you have a trick or two in that box."

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag
[HP: 09/12] [AC: 17]

"To death and glory! "

Vorag swings at the boar with abandon, spraying blood across the battlefield.

greatsword vs boar: 1d20+5 23 2d6+3 12

My AC was off by 1, forgot I have the fighter bonus.
If the boar dies, I will drop my greatsword, equip my shield (AC19) and advance to B4.

ritorix fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Mar 10, 2015

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag
[HP: 09/12] [AC: 19]

"Arrrg! Stupid shield, takes way too long to put on!"

Vorag takes out his frustration by drawing a longsword and swinging it at the nearest bandit.

longsword vs bandit: 1d20+5 17 1d8+3 9 damage.

A whole action to equip a shield? Oops. I figured it fell under the 'interact with an item' rule.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag
[HP: 12/12] [AC: 19]

"Well done! It's a good day when I get to wet both blades. They must have been rather desperate bandits to attack a group armed as we are."

Vorag pulls the crossbow bolt out of his hide as an afterthought. It's bleeds a bit but barely seems to faze him.

Second wind: 1d10+1 7, full

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag

Vorag scoffs at the whole 'blindly marching ahead' jab, but you might notice he is still holding that shield.

"Nice tattoo, kid. But I don't think some demon-mark will be enough to keep you alive on your own out there. Watch yourself."

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag

Shrugging, Vorag says, "Do we really want to kill every furry animal in a forest? That could take a while. I doubt they are masterminding a plot against the good folk of this land."

"Unless..."

"Are they werewolves??"

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag

Even the dragonborn could be sneaky when it was called for. He stalks through the forest behind the others, his chain muffled by a cloak.

stealth: 2d20l1 15

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag

With exaggerated creeping motions, Vorag motions for the others to stay back while he investigates the sign.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag

"I know what it says!!"

Vorag feigns anger at Malo for 'reading to him'. In reality Vorag had no clue how to read goblin, but it was good to know that Malo can. Between knowing goblin, the chaos magic, and that tattoo, Vorag was really wondering how this kid got so far off the normal path of life. Not that Vorag knew anything about 'normal' life. He was just glad to be out here, in the middle of a gods-forsaken forest, than in a major city with bounty hunters at his heels.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag

Vorag moves to one side of the fight. It sounds like he has something stuck in his throat. Then, frills on the side of his throat flare up and a gout of flame blasts from his lips!

Moved to C15.
fire breath: 2d6 7 fire damage, DC12 CON save for half. Gobs 3 and 4.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag

"A giant spider? Disgusting. I guess this is a job for a lizard."

Vorag finds the nearest tree and begins to claw his way upwards.

I'll climb up the NE corner.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag

"I'll try to knock it down! Aim for the squishy underbelly!!"

Rushing at the spider, Vorag grunts and throws his shoulder into the beast, trying to drive it to the ground. Hopefully his allies will be able to take advantage.

Moving next to the spider.
Using a shove attack: trip vs spidey (athletics): 1d20+5 20. He gets to oppose with Athletics or Acrobatics, his choice. Failure means he goes prone.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag

"Remind me to never climb another spider web."

Vorag takes a mighty swing at the underbelly of the beast, roaring in victory as he connects and sprays gooey spider ichor all over the place.

longsword vs spidey: 1d20+5 23 1d8+3 7

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag
[HP: 19/19] [AC: 19]

Vorag was uncharacteristically silent after the battle. He barely nods at his fellows and doesn't greet the pair of newcomers. He just stood there for a long time, in the spider's ichor, and seemed to drift off for a bit. He was lost in memory.

Don't forget our bargain. Freedom has a price.

Vorag remembered the last day he spent in the gladiator pens. He was covered then, too - not with spider ichor, but with the gore of a hard-fought victory. But today he had the means to slip past his guards. They listened to his words, spellbound, and opened the gate. It only lasted a few moments, but it was all he needed to slip away. He only hoped the price wasn't too high.

Leveled up!

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag
[HP: 19/19] [AC: 19]

Not wanting to let these idiots speak another word after 'hearing' Malo, Vorag interrupts and draws his sword.

"My friend here tells me you are cannibals. What kind of sick bastards eat people? Did you eat the missing townsfolk?! I'll take pleasure in gutting you, boy."

:rolldice:

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag
[HP: 19/19 4THP] [AC: 19]

Rushing in behind the bear, Vorag guts the wounded man. The kill seems to invigorate Vorag, making him more confident and restoring a bit of the personality he lost after the spider incident.

"What you going to do? Looks like you're stuck between a bear and a hard place."

Moving to n9, swinging at barb2: longsword: 1d20+5 22 1d8+3 10. Killing him grants me 4THP thanks to spooky evil magic.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag
[HP: 19/19 4THP] [AC: 19]

"Here, horsey..."

I want to mount up and get out of there. Will use Intimidate if I have to, to make a horse cooperate.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag
[HP: 26/26] [THP: 8] [AC: 19]

Vorag was back to his old tricks upon the return to town. He boasted loudly and often of their victory, he described in gory detail the spider's ichor and the surprised looks on the barbarians' faces right before they died. And his impression of the horse's reaction to his commands gets guffaws from all the townsfolk.

Deep inside, he can tell that something has changed. The killings he had just participated in invigoriated him. Vorag felt more alive now than ever before. Part of it excites him, and part terrifies him. The bargain must be paid.

As he passes a merchant stall in town, he turns back - something turns him back. His eyes are drawn to a purple crystal, big enough to fit in his palm. "How much?" he asks. Ten gold seemed a trivial price. He next takes it to a jeweler, who attaches a clasp on the bottom, then threads a leather string through the clasp to form a necklace of the crystal. It looks a bit out of place among his armor, but he mentions it to no one and brushes off the question if asked.

Vorag now has False Life at-will, meaning he effectively has 8THP at all times.
Buying an Arcane Focus (crystal) in town, putting it on a necklace.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag

No way out.

That was out he felt, once. The bat, a dragonborn, both were trapped, walled in by others. Then the voice comes again...

Freedom has a price.

Bellowing in rage, Vorag rises (a bit wobbly, thanks to all the drink), rushes at a window and puts his gauntleted fist right through the glass. It shatters, giving the bat an escape route. In this case, the price for freedom will be a few gold for a new window.

fear save: 1d20 12, saved.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag

Sheathing his blade, Vorag holds his empty hand towards the demonic entity before him.

"You were better off as a bat. Tell your master I won't be so easily scared, nor so easily collected. As for the gifts bestowed, it's time to test a new one."

The air between Vorag's hand and the quasit warps and twists, like waves of intense heat in a tightened beam. It lasts only an instant, then is followed by a circular pulse of red lightning, running down the warp-beam at insane speed, crackling as it blasts into the creature.

eldritch blast: 1d20+5 23 1d10+3 9. Hits for 9 force damage.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag

With that strange episode over, Vorag takes his seat once again, gets another drink and takes a long look at the new gauntlets. There was something about them...

ID'ing the items.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag

"Nooo! I fffought a demon! It wassh rrright over there!!"

Vorag stands up to point at the blast on the wall, stumbles once, twice, then falls over onto the floor.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag

From his vantage point near the front of the caravan, Vorag chuckles at the giant lizards.

"Aww. Aren't they cute? I don't think they'll bother us after getting a fresh meal."

Sticking with wagon #1.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag

Not even bothering to draw his blade, Vorag vaults off the wagon and rushes straight at the pack of enemies. He feels immortal, unstoppable!

The dragonborn pulls up a few feet shy of the first man, holds his shield before him, and unleashes a gout of flames from his maw.

Move to K7 and unleash dragon breath. Targets Bandit3 and Boss.

Breath weapon: 2d6 8 fire damage, DC12 CON save for half.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag

Blinking in astonishment at Alan's murderous display, and feeling a bit unappreciated, Vorag draws his sword and rushes at the bandit captain. Vorag puts all his strength into a devasting blow, powered by his magical gauntlets.

sword vs boss: 1d20+6 18 1d8+4 10 damage

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag

After the battle with Harold's bandits, Vorag was supportive of Kail. The dragonborn has no idea of the history between the two, but he can sense there was some. Did Kail let the man go, or murder the prisoner? Vorag couldn't be sure and truthfully it probably didn't matter. Killing the man wouldn't have sat right with Vorag, not off the field of battle, but he respected Kail enough to leave the decision in his hands.

Drifting off to sleep, Vorag thinks on how his companions had proven themselves once again. Varella and Malo had held their own, and Vorag had a new respect for Alan after his murderous rampage. It was damned impressive. Vorag hasn't seen anything like that since his days in the arena.

As the sounds of battle wake him, Vorag curses at the insects eating his horses. He just got those! Rushing to the front line, he unleashes a blast of arcane energy. Running throws off his aim, and it veers off course and blows a bush to pieces. It occurs to him that he hasn't mentioned this particular ability to anyone, yet. He didn't have an excuse ready.

Move to N10. Shield out, sword stowed.
Eldritch Blast at Ankheg 1: 1d20+5 11 1d10+3 7, missed.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag

"I'm a little...out of practice."

Another bolt blasts outward from Vorag, going even further off course.

Eldritch blast: 1d20+5 8 1d10+3 9, miss.

Move to H10.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag

"A worthy foe! It'll be too slow to hit me, don't worry about a thing."

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag

Vorag finds the birds a bit difficult to hit. It's ok though, Alan seems to have it covered.

http://orokos.com/roll/266190: 1d20+6 9 1d8+4 10, missed.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag

Vorag flanks around the nearest bird, heading down the hill a bit. It wasn't a melee advantage he was looking for, however. With three birds lined up he spouts a blast of flame at the flock.

Move to H7.
Breath damage: 2d6 11, DC12 Con save for half. Targets birds 1, 2 and 3.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag

"So. How about I just get the giant's attention, let it chase me over here, and we shoot it with the ballista? Too easy."

Honestly, Vorag just wants the glory of dueling a giant.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag

The biggest thought going through Vorag's mind right now is 'I hope that ballista is really working,' followed by 'I hope I don't get shot by a ballista.'

With a spell on his lips (courtesy of his 'patron') to charm the mind of receptive targets, Vorag lays in with a taunt. He figures either way, the giant will be hostile. The spell guarantees it.

"Hey, ugly! Why don't you put down dinner and come over here for an rear end kicking?! That's right, me and you, dragon vs giant, just like the old days. You know who won back then, right? Dragons, that's who. Get ready for a repeat performance."

Casting Friends before I initiate contact. It lasts for a minute.
It only works if the giant isn't hostile. intimidation: 2d20k1+5 23.
If he is hostile, mission accomplished anyway. Come get some.
Then I turn around and run like hell.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag

At the sudden appearance of a unicorn by his side, Vorag doesn't question his luck. Instead, he has an idea.

"Mighty-horned beast! Send me into battle! Take me to the enemy, that I may remove his threat from this world."

Vorag moves to the beast's side slowly, seeing if it will let him climb onto its back and take him into combat.

come on let me ride you: 1d20+3 18

If I can slip my turn in before that unicorn post and retcon it running into combat, that would be great. It can still do the entangle thing that way. Otherwise I'll mount on it, if it lets me, and probably will eldritch blast while I wait to get in range. If I can mount it and it then runs into range, I'll go melee. Will post updates depending on how it turns out.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag

Blinking in confusion, Vorag wonders to himself 'Did I just get nibbled on by a unicorn?'

"Thanks! Uh. Here goes nothing. For glory"

A tingle of fear was rising in his gut. This was life-or-death, he was a moment away from being crushed by the giant's might. But victory here would be a story worth telling. Not wanting to question his luck, he inhales deeply. It smells like flames and horse flesh. Exhaling, he give the giant a taste of his draconic heritage.

breath weapon: 2d6 11 fire damage, DC12 Dex save for half.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag
[HP: 26/26] [THP: 0] [AC: 19] [Spell Slots: 1/2]

Bellowing in rage when hit, Vorag's upper body instinctively catches fire and scorches the giant's fist. That didn't seem like a natural trait of dragons.

Shaking off his minor injury, Vorag rushes at the giant's legs, attempting to topple him by taking out his knees. His sword bites deep and giant blood spills across the dragonborn.

Reaction when hit: Hellish Rebuke, DC13 Dex save for half: 2d10 6.
bonus action: second wind: 1d10+1 6, that tops me off.
longsword vs giant: 1d20+6 17 1d8+4 11 damage.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag
[HP: 33/33] [THP: 8] [AC: 19] [Spell Slots: 2/2]

"Glorious! They'll never believe we managed to fell a giant. And no one is dead? Truly amazing."

Vorag takes a moment to bask in the glory of his kill. Their kill, technically. But the death of a giant was a hefty down-payment towards his debt. Vorag's benefactor returns the favor. The dragonborn's wounds knit together and he feels stronger yet. He feels like he could be anywhere with a thought, or cause his foes to turn their eyes away from him in pure terror. More tools in his bag, more ways to kill.

Leveled to Fighter1/Warlock3.
+Spells now cast as level 2.
+Gained Misty Step and Blindness/Deafness. Lost Protection from Evil.
+Pact of the Blade gained. My longsword is my pact weapon.
Will spend a moment casting False Life to regain my THP.
I'm ok with just a short rest (lol warlocks), but fine with taking a long rest if the group requires one.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag
[HP: 33/33] [THP: 8] [AC: 19] [Spell Slots: 1/2]

Coughing and sputtering, Vorag barely manages to push past the mental haze. Moving forward, Vorag extends a hand and blows at it. It catches fire and sends a sheet of flame at the lizardmen.

con save: 1d20+4 9
con save inspiration: 1d20+4 19. Saved! :p

Move to G7.

Cast burning hands and hit both of them. Cast at spell level 2. burning hands: 4d6 17 fire damage, DC13 Dex save for half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag
[HP: 33/33] [THP: 8] [AC: 19] [Spell Slots: 1/2]

Vorag sniffs at the corpses of his enemies. He had expected more fight out of them, honestly.

Taking a few rounds to recast False Life until it rolls a 4 on 1d4. Temp HP restored.

• Locked thread