Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
seriously, why? as far as i can tell it's just about wanting to be *~special~* and spend a bunch of years pretending you have a point of view that's worth actually paying attention to. abolish all arts/language programs, devote the money and space they're taking up to things that actually do something useful for society

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

you generally enroll in college before you're old enough to make sensible decisions like that one

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
i have a hosed up brain, which is why i study psychology

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
The more liberal arts majors the less people STEM majors have to compete with out of college

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Hubris, pride and societal expectations.

Louis
Nov 23, 2014
Have you heard of ITT tech?

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008
because some people do n't believe accunulating money and things is the end goal of life.

some people aren't shallow vapid cunts and they value knowledge beauty art love, things that can't be bought

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

brick cow posted:

because some people do n't believe accunulating money and things is the end goal of life.

some people aren't shallow vapid cunts and they value knowledge beauty art love, things that can't be bought

aren't you adorable

that's all nice to tell yourself, but the world doesn't work that way

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

brick cow posted:

knowledge beauty art love, things that can't be bought
yes they can, what do you think financed the creation of those things, genius magic?

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Testikles posted:

Hubris, pride and societal expectations.

anyway, yes, you're correct. "i'm going to spend my time in higher education studying ME ME ME" is the cause of every creative writing major

A CISHET SHITLORD
Sep 10, 2014

LOURDE OF THE SHITS
Pillbug
STEM even makes better art than artists. Deep-field hubble shots and high-energy subatomic particle collision shots are legit better to look at than any "classic" paintings.

Gaybee
Jul 16, 2002
study whatever you want is my motto since college is worthless

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Horniest Manticore posted:

anyway, yes, you're correct. "i'm going to spend my time in higher education studying ME ME ME" is the cause of every psychology major

fixed that for you

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
idk mostly so they don't end up being sad miserable people who derive satisfaction out of making fun of other people's life choices though probably

who cares. liberal arts majors provide most of the managerial staff required to keep the company you design widgets for working

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Mar 9, 2015

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Starving Autist posted:

fixed that for you

six of one

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
tell him about the mice and the universes

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

fair enough

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Im a drug dealer

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

LeoMarr posted:

Im a drug dealer

making money = winning

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Gaybee posted:

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008

aren't you adorable

that's all nice to tell yourself, but the world doesn't work that way

I make absolute poo poo money now and I'm a thousand times happier than when I was making 40k more a year

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
everyone living under a capitalist system needs money but only a hoarder wants money

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Gaybee posted:

Depends on what you're trying to do as a career

quakster posted:

everyone living under a capitalist system needs money but only a hoarder wants money
What's wrong with liking money?

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

brick cow posted:

I make absolute poo poo money now and I'm a thousand times happier than when I was making 40k more a year

woah hey now you took a cut of 40,000 whole dollars how do you live

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
liking money for money's sake is pretty shallow and materialistic

which is fine it's not like you're a bad person morally but the problem is you're never really satisfied because you never learned to be happy with what you have and instead you're always craving the next thing

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
I study all kinds of poo poo because I like being well rounded and knowledgable.

That said when paying for that study I agree. If there's no justifiable ROI then you're stupid. Or independently wealthy or come from money.

I studied business. It's helped finance a bougie lifestyle and financial security. Plus I like strategy. In my free time I study/read a lot of STEM and non STEM social sciences. It's p cool.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Shadow posted:

I study all kinds of poo poo because I like being well rounded and knowledgable.

that does play well with the slits, i'll give you that

sean price
Sep 30, 2011

by Lowtax
jobs are gay

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

that does play well with the slits, i'll give you that

It also bores you when they can't keep up or "aren't into history lol"

Single and turning 34 this month.

:(

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

liking money for money's sake is pretty shallow and materialistic

which is fine it's not like you're a bad person morally but the problem is you're never really satisfied because you never learned to be happy with what you have and instead you're always craving the next thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vscG3k91s58

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

greed is good bc michael douglas said so in a movie got it

a character based on real life people indicted for racketeering and fraud

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

some people are still told poo poo like "study whatever you want, the only thing that's important is that you get a degree"

also, whatever major you think is going to make you money is going to be overloaded with people in that field looking for employment by the time you finish school so it doesnt really matter after all

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Shadow posted:

It also bores you when they can't keep up or "aren't into history lol"

Single and turning 34 this month.

:(

Lol come on brah all an alpha needs from a dime is the ability to make his dick hard and the right attitude. Friends should be your intellectual partners, not ya flooz.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

What's wrong with liking money?
imagine a private art collection, but every painting is identical and painted with the blood of murdered babies

0dB
Jan 3, 2009
As if a physics degree is worth poo poo.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Raiad posted:

some people are still told poo poo like "study whatever you want, the only thing that's important is that you get a degree"

also, whatever major you think is going to make you money is going to be overloaded with people in that field looking for employment by the time you finish school so it doesnt really matter after all

true, actually

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Raiad posted:

This is true, you need to think ahead and make a name for yourself through internships and the like before you even graduate. A degree alone is not enough.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

greed is good bc michael douglas said so in a movie got it

a character based on real life people indicted for racketeering and fraud
Greed is the reason civilization has reached where it has. It is ambition, looking at the world around you and saying "This is not enough!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

opus111 posted:

Lol come on brah all an alpha needs from a dime is the ability to make his dick hard and the right attitude. Friends should be your intellectual partners, not ya flooz.

hey opus -- do you ever feel like hitting a woman? just winding up and giving it to her right in the face? i can't lie, that sounds better than sex right now

• Locked thread