Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
generally they are misled with false promises OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

CISMALES DID 9-11 posted:

i just want to live in a STEM world where my self-driving car drops me off at taco bell and I can shuffle in the door with my head down and avoid eye contact with the other patrons and order my 3 tacos minus lettuce from the touchscreen terminal in peace as the ubermensch that i am

i used to really resist this automatization of every single consumer process but now im growing to like it and prefer the touchscreen over the counter worker. they were soulless processes in the first place, why pretend that it was ever a human interaction, just give me my drat food and whatever else you can drive the human out of the equation of

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Im going to invent a new college univeristy where we study anime and video games and will be rich for sure

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

brick cow posted:

because some people do n't believe accunulating money and things is the end goal of life.

some people aren't shallow vapid cunts and they value knowledge beauty art love, things that can't be bought

yeah and the best way to experience those things is to accumulate a bunch of money first instead of saddling the next 10-20+ years of your life (or worse, your parents' lives) with student loan debt

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 9, 2015

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp
OP: "I have learned to live according to one set of values and see them as supreme. And yet, I see that others live their lives according to a different set of values and do not necessarily see my values as supreme. I am confused and threatened by this."

naem
May 29, 2011

WHY ARENT WE ALL MINDLESS ROBOTS BEEP BOOP

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

brick cow posted:

because some people do n't believe accunulating money and things is the end goal of life.

some people aren't shallow vapid cunts and they value knowledge beauty art love, things that can't be bought

I buy all those things with the pile of money I get for doing my remarkably easy computer job :confused:

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

Greed is the reason civilization has reached where it has. It is ambition, looking at the world around you and saying "This is not enough!"

much like cancer. once it starts, you just can't stop!

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Even a STEM world wouldn't call taco bell "food".

edit: cue the 999 pictures of giant lines of identical business causal men at Chipotle

Dangit Ronpaul posted:

lmao at all the stupid fucks who've hopped on the STEM supremacy bandwagon

for one thing the idea that STEM degree = meal ticket to great job and lots of money isn't really true outside of a few specific fields (comp sci, engineering) and even then, if everybody did those degrees the glut of new grads in those fields would crater wages big time

for a group that collectively tends to fetishize the free market, most of them seem to not have any loving clue at all how one works

Well I think what the OP is channeling is not the recent STEM circlejerk nor the startup wankfest but that glorious period from the mid 80s to mid 90s where record numbers of people were acquiring MBAs and everything to do with that ended on a super awesome note yes sir

Lawrence Gilchrist fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 10, 2015

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
yeah a business degree is similar to a science degree haha

down here in reality everyone i know with a stem degree immediately got a great job. immediately. every single one.

denial ain't just a river in egypt. i know it's a hard field, and i know it makes you feel bad to know deep inside you couldn't make it in that world, but hey, go gently caress yourself :banjo:

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

Even a STEM world wouldn't call taco bell "food".

Well I think what the OP is channeling is not the recent STEM circlejerk nor the startup wankfest but that glorious period from the mid 80s to mid 90s where record numbers of people were acquiring MBAs and everything to do with that ended on a super awesome note yes sir

i've never actually seen a taco bell with that kind of ordering system, there's only this one local burrito chain in my city that has those self serve computers. are there any national chains that are known to use them??

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
you can get rich doing almost anything except working for someone else, even if you're a stem major

sean price
Sep 30, 2011

by Lowtax

Stoic Commie posted:

you can get rich doing almost anything except working for someone else, even if you're a stem major

itt people who dont realize many stem majors work for people who started a company which much of the time was done by someone with no formal degree

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
What if you are dumb though and can't do STEM at all? Sounds dumb to waste all of that money on education you can never complete instead of learning how to build your own drug business.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Moridin920 posted:

greed is good bc michael douglas said so in a movie got it

a character based on real life people indicted for racketeering and fraud

Some people also think Colonel Jessup is the hero of a Few Good Men "You Can't Handle the Truth" "How Dare you Question the manner in which I provide it!"

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
the worst thing about majoring in STEM is other STEM majors

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

trigonsareNOThomo posted:

itt people who dont realize many stem majors work for people who started a company which much of the time was done by someone with no formal degree

who are these people GET THEM

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

Inevitable posted:

OP: "I have learned to live according to one set of values and see them as supreme. And yet, I see that others live their lives according to a different set of values and do not necessarily see my values as supreme. I am confused and threatened by this."

If the OP had a philosophy degree he'd understand this.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Majoring in things you could just minor in is silly

Who majors in Folklore and Mythology instead of appending it to an English or Linguistics degree

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Gaybee posted:

study whatever you want is my motto since college is worthless

I see you've made terrible decisions with your life.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i find the easiest way to success is to figure out where the rich people live and then enter their homes when they sleep and hold a gun to their head waking them up and tell them to give me a lot of money or ILL loving KILL YOU I SWEAR TO GOD JUST GIVE ME THE MONEY AND YOULL LIVE ANOTHER DAY BUT I SWEAR TO GOD ILL PULL THIS loving TRIGGER, then they give you a lot of money and you run out of there hella quick

some of them hire assassins to get their revenge at you but they're usually no big deal

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
STEM degrees are objectively worth less than liberal arts degrees unless you go postgrad

the gently caress you gonna do with a bachelors in bio or physics homie. if its the former, have fun being an assistant lab tech making 25K a year with zero hope of advancement. if the latter, i dont know, you could be a part-time SAT tutor at the huntington learning center for $14/hr probably

thathonkey posted:

the worst thing about majoring in STEM is other STEM majors

also this

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
like english majors are dumb but they're a harmless, soft kind of dumb

engineering majors are actively offensive in word, deed and odor

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Yes, college is worthless. Worthless for those with no passion or interests beyond video games and Kim Kardashian which accounts for 70% of people. Those people should just simply not attend college and fast track their way into service work or factory work. When they have the passion, then they should go to college.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i choose to study history becuase if i made a bunch of money doing math or whatever STEM nerds do i would use it to have time to read cool history books anyway. seems like the STEM job is just adding unnecessary steps to my happiness optimization routine

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
lol these STEM vs. liberal arts debates are always hilarious

posters itt bitterly arguing with each other on how to retain a spot on the increasingly tiny portion of the sinking ship that is the american middle class

the hull has cracked in half and the bow is jutting out of the water, slowly sinking, as people scream incoherently about sperglord engineers vs. clueless hipsters

a watery gay grave awaits us all

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

"It might have been."
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNFjLzVKVdk

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
that's a mindless self indulgence music video just to save everyone else the trouble of clicking on it

lol are you 15

edit: seriously like out of the whole calalog of punk you choose that to represent your point of view

i do like shut me up though

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 10, 2015

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

UV_Catastrophe posted:

posters itt bitterly arguing with each other on how to retain a spot on the increasingly tiny portion of the sinking ship that is the american middle class

the hull has cracked in half and the bow is jutting out of the water, slowly sinking, as people scream incoherently about sperglord engineers vs. clueless hipsters

Yeah, but my grave will be able to do math

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

"It might have been."
Pillbug

dougdrums posted:

that's a mindless self indulgence music video just to save everyone else the trouble of clicking on it

lol are you 15

excuse me, this is for maximum edginess

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005

Gaybee posted:

study whatever you want is my motto since life is worthless

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
actually yeah i kinda like msi that's just a swing and a miss

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

"It might have been."
Pillbug
okay, yeah, i'll try and find something better for next week's college major slapfight thread

i'm open to suggestions

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005

UV_Catastrophe posted:

i'm open to suggestions

http://youtu.be/3bZzM4s0Hgs

this is for maximum edginess

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Gaybee posted:

study whatever you want is my motto since college is worthless

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

UV_Catastrophe posted:

This post understands the truth. I do both "science" and liberal arts work, and nobody is happier, and only seldom are the nuts and bolts people that much better off.

Unless you work for the various entities that feed off of the fears of the wealthy. Then you're solid. Playing the neo-liberal game is getting a bit loving silly, and perhaps more so for the libarts people, but the engineers are like "Why sure I'll work on your ridiculous toilet, Bill Gates, why the gently caress not?" more often than they're actually creatively or intelligently solving human problems. Most hope for a job in the oil industry, and turn pale when their specialized hydraulics knowledge seems incompatible with renewables when gas prices drop.

Likewise, while the liberal arts people were usually already crazy and loaded with cats, the engineers who hit the skids seem 50/50 resigned permanently to retail / off the rails insane. Nothing is more frightening than an intelligent, systematic mind that has been betrayed by the whimsy of economics.

In other words, college is nothing more than a way to solidify your existing privileges or gain marginal access to new ones, and then only if you desperately, madly try. Sending everyone to college is well-intentioned, perhaps but ultimately poorly thought out. Sending everyone to community college may be a much better approach, but nothing is going to address the fact that primary education has gotten the poo poo kicked out of it worse than any college system (no ability to monetize kiddos like you can grad slaves and adjuncts; no secondary productive capacity), and people will therefore continue to be mainly more in debt, and seldom 'more prepared.'

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Stoic Commie posted:

true

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

*clutching an engineering degree* gently caress im a incel

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
nothing is more hilarious than engineers who are perfectly happy being cogs in the corporate machine, imagining themselves being superior to everyone who didn't make the same choice, and then seeing those very same corporations betray them.

except maybe all the engineers who are glad to see corporations and politicians pushing to increase the number of people getting STEM degrees, too stupid to realize that the reason corporations and their kept politicians are doing it is to flood the market and drive down engineers' salaries.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Mar 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
OP: "Only STEM degrees are worth anything because education should merely be job training!"

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Mar 10, 2015

• Locked thread