Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I'm studying neuroscience and psychology because they interest me. I have plenty of time later on in life to regret this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
STEM majors aren't nearly as smart as people say they are and many of them are lacking in the social skills department. Employers are starting to figure this out quickly and are also starting to realize that a lot of the jobs that require STEM degrees don't actually require them and most idiots could do them with proper training.

Lol if you paid for college.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
didnt read thread but smdh at americans who cant understand the value of knowledge and consider university an occupational training course

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

RideTheSpiral posted:

didnt read thread but smdh at americans who cant understand the value of knowledge and consider university an occupational training course

Doc Block posted:

OP: "Only STEM degrees are worth anything because education should merely be job training!"

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

jokes on op because i studied the most liberal arts degree possible and now make a huge salary doing what i love

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW

RideTheSpiral posted:

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

CISMALES DID 9-11 posted:

i just want to live in a STEM world where my self-driving car drops me off at taco bell and I can shuffle in the door with my head down and avoid eye contact with the other patrons and order my 3 tacos minus lettuce from the touchscreen terminal in peace as the ubermensch that i am

lol if you think future dickweeds will leave their homes. taco bell assembled by robots and delivered by drone.

the robots and drone will be fueled by the corpses of the people who used to have their jobs.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Tautologicus posted:

i used to really resist this automatization of every single consumer process but now im growing to like it and prefer the touchscreen over the counter worker. they were soulless processes in the first place, why pretend that it was ever a human interaction, just give me my drat food and whatever else you can drive the human out of the equation of

you're really going to like it when they ramp up the process of automating middle class jobs and you get to suck dick for cash

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

A misanthrope posted:

you're really going to like it when they ramp up the process of automating middle class jobs and you get to suck dick for cash

Lol im like 3 steps ahead of them

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
once the majority of jobs are automated, the majority of people won't need to work. the economy will all but run itself and it will fuel a welfare state that will free people to learn and create to their hearts' content. humanity will see a golden age unlike any other in all of history

j/k tons of people are going to suffer

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Doesn't matter what happens in my life because I have a plan for everything.

For example: If I lose my good job I plan to drive 75 mph into a tree without a seat belt. I may acquire a shotgun to simplify the suicide process.

Nefarious posted:

j/k tons of people are going to suffer

lol you had me going there for a second. I was gettin mad.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
what's gonna happen: after defeating all of their opposition, governments/corporations will produce the maximum amount of mammoth tanks and make them shoot at each other until only 10 infantrymen remain, who will then attack the last intact enemy harvester which manages to squish nine of them before exploding. that is the endgame of society, the unchallenged utopia

my worldview is entirely based on single player command & conquer skirmishes

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

quakster posted:

what's gonna happen: after defeating all of their opposition, governments/corporations will produce the maximum amount of mammoth tanks and make them shoot at each other until only 10 infantrymen remain, who will then attack the last intact enemy harvester which manages to squish nine of them before exploding. that is the endgame of society, the unchallenged utopia

my worldview is entirely based on single player command & conquer skirmishes

and that last infantryman will get some Nikes and a crockpot delivered to him on the battlefield via Amazon drone. Ironically the package lands on the corpse of a UPS driver.

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ

A misanthrope posted:

lol if you think future dickweeds will leave their homes. taco bell assembled by robots and delivered by drone.

the robots and drone will be fueled by the corpses of the people who used to have their jobs.

now you're making the STEM future sound cool so thanks for ruining it

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

RideTheSpiral posted:

It is pretty sad when higher education is turned into a jobs program, instead of being thought of making society better as a whole. The STEM push is disturbing because it implies that you're a worthless sack of poo poo if you don't go into massive debt dreaming about 'the next killer app' but instead end up churning the gears for a military contractor. Somehow this is made to seem worse than learning a steady trade and paying union dues.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

dougdrums posted:

It is pretty sad when higher education is turned into a jobs program, instead of being thought of making society better as a whole. The STEM push is disturbing because it implies that you're a worthless sack of poo poo if you don't go into massive debt dreaming about 'the next killer app' but instead end up churning the gears for a military contractor. Somehow this is made to seem worse than learning a steady trade and paying union dues.

RideTheSpiral posted:

Goons aren't the first to have the opposing views.

There has been a lot of debate/study about what a degree "means" in the world after someone gets one. One view is that you aren't going to use most of what you studied in class in your actual job and a degree just means you have the capacity to learn and work at a certain level, as well as having some general body of knowledge that high schoolers don't. The second view is that college is actual job training and you will use a good part of what you learn in class through your career. Thus companies will only hire employees that had certain majors (since they are already "trained" to some level).

Personally I think it's both, and prob why people on either side can't agree. STEM majors are more likely to use what they learned on the job (job training view) and non-STEM are more flexible, probably ended up working in a job that had nothing to do with any of the classes they took (general knowledge and work capacity view).

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
education in the USA is treated as jobs training because all they give a poo poo about is taking your tuition money and teaching you how to be a better worker so you can build someone else's wealth

capitalism, folks

and then one day you have a midlife crisis at 40-50 because you realize you've just been working your rear end off for no real tangible gain other than maybe a couple cars and a house you hate.

get your STEM degrees but also seek enlightenment. if you're 100% convinced you're following the right path and everyone else is a dumb, you probably aren't.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Pawn 17 posted:

Goons aren't the first to have the opposing views.

There has been a lot of debate/study about what a degree "means" in the world after someone gets one. One view is that you aren't going to use most of what you studied in class in your actual job and a degree just means you have the capacity to learn and work at a certain level, as well as having some general body of knowledge that high schoolers don't. The second view is that college is actual job training and you will use a good part of what you learn in class through your career. Thus companies will only hire employees that had certain majors (since they are already "trained" to some level).

Personally I think it's both, and prob why people on either side can't agree. STEM majors are more likely to use what they learned on the job (job training view) and non-STEM are more flexible, probably ended up working in a job that had nothing to do with any of the classes they took (general knowledge and work capacity view).

thanks for this extremely long and obvious post

Matt18001
Feb 28, 2015
It's sad that degrees are required for some employment for no reason. For example I needed a degree for my current job, even though it has absolutely nothing to do with job. Just an arbitrary way for HR people to filter out applications.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Matt18001 posted:

Just an arbitrary way for HR people to filter out applications.

I've talked to 3 HR people that do hiring and yeah, pretty much. "I have 100 resumes, I do a quick skim and trash any of them that don't have a college degree because gently caress reading all those resumes" is word for word what one of them told me.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

RideTheSpiral posted:

thanks for this extremely long and obvious post

LOOK AT HOW EDGY I AM. I AM SO EDGY I'LL CUT YOU LIKE A PARTICULARLY EDGY KNIFE. LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME. OR NOT, BECAUSE I AM A STUPID WORTHLESS PIECE OF poo poo.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Matt18001 posted:

It's sad that degrees are required for some employment for no reason. For example I needed a degree for my current job, even though it has absolutely nothing to do with job. Just an arbitrary way for HR people to filter out applications.

It's this way for keywords as well. If you have the wrong major or you lack the right keywords, your resume is thrown in the garbage without a human ever looking at it. No one wants to actually read through a stack of 100+ resumes.

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
I didn't go into stem because I figured I could make the same amount of money without having to do math/be a nerd pissbaby. I was right and it owns.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
some people arent self centered op. in fact most of the cooler things you do every day and take for granted (such as making a lovely thread, on your computer, this magicaly device that connects to the internet, and so on) are the result of people just studying stuff for the hell of it

rear end in a top hat

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

the answer here is to adjust tuition on an institutional level based on a job index. wanna be an engineer? Premed? that be 15 thousand 4 year tuition.

wanna major in comparative lit? thatll be 12.5 thousand for a semester

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Pawn 17 posted:

LOOK AT HOW EDGY I AM. I AM SO EDGY I'LL CUT YOU LIKE A PARTICULARLY EDGY KNIFE. LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME. OR NOT, BECAUSE I AM A STUPID WORTHLESS PIECE OF poo poo.

what an epic own

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

Because you touch yourself at night.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Pawn 17 posted:

youve been around too long to make poo poo posts like this one. you should know better

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Raider posted:

the answer here is to adjust tuition on an institutional level based on a job index. wanna be an engineer? Premed? that be 15 thousand 4 year tuition.

so only rich people can get educated and everyone else just gets job training to work for said rich people got it

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

RideTheSpiral posted:

what an epic own

An epic own? Are you posting from 2001? Do you want to settle this in a Quake 3 deathmatch??

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

opus111 posted:

i mean ffs lol your parents had legitimate concerns about nukes being dropped. lighten up brah.

so should you. it's going to happen. probably not to the US but it's going to happen sooner or later. we still have them pointed at each other, and we still develop new updated nukes

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

1gnoirents posted:

some people arent self centered op. in fact most of the cooler things you do every day and take for granted (such as making a lovely thread, on your computer, this magicaly device that connects to the internet, and so on) are the result of people just studying stuff for the hell of it

rear end in a top hat

also this

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Horniest Manticore posted:

seriously, why? as far as i can tell it's just about wanting to be *~special~* and spend a bunch of years pretending you have a point of view that's worth actually paying attention to. abolish all arts/language programs, devote the money and space they're taking up to things that actually do something useful for society
I missed the part in freshman orientation where they give you a handy major chart listing "difficulty" and "how much money you will make"

They probably would have lied on it anyway to get more people in the majors nobody likes

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

so only rich people can get educated and everyone else just gets job training to work for said rich people got it

i said base it off a rolling job index numbnuts

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Blue Raider posted:

youve been around too long to make poo poo posts like this one. you should know better

Oh, now you are going to come in here and epically own me to??

Really, I'm only seriousposting this thread because some high school or college aged goons may actually be reading and thinking "Hey, it really doesn't matter what degree I get! The goons said so! This one guy on the internet said he got a sociology major and he is super rich and happy! Why would he lie to me?".

Anyhow, I'll vacate. Unless that one dipshit takes me up on Quake 3, then it's on! :c00l:

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Pawn 17 posted:

youve gotta be like 40 because lol

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Blue Raider posted:

youve gotta be like 40 because lol

youve gotta be too stupid to read a few posts up because lol I was making fun of RideTheSpiral's post

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Pawn 17 posted:

Really, I'm only seriousposting this thread because some high school or college aged goons may actually be reading and thinking "Hey, it really doesn't matter what degree I get! The goons said so! This one guy on the internet said he got a sociology major and he is super rich and happy! Why would he lie to me?".

Anyhow, I'll vacate. Unless that one dipshit takes me up on Quake 3, then it's on! :c00l:

lol

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Raider posted:

i said base it off a rolling job index numbnuts

Blue Raider posted:

wanna be an engineer? Premed? that be 15 thousand 4 year tuition.

what am I missing

job training is cheap, everything else is expensive bc poors don't need to know it anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

what am I missing

job training is cheap, everything else is expensive bc poors don't need to know it anyway

make a list of all majors from most in demand to least, price them accordingly, and adjust on a yearly basis. like right now make education cheaper than say dance because its more in demand. 3 yrs from now dance might be more in demand so you adjust it to taste

its a way to minimize over educated under qualified graduates while also helping graduates find jobs

its not fair but neither is life and besides a philosophy major with 50k in debt and nothing to show for it but a functionally useless degree isnt too fair either

• Locked thread