Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
im making fun of shadow because im a jealous poor who's mad he doesn't have a college degree. you see. shadow is a renessaince man if you didnt understand. he loves sociology. he loves psychology. he own the last 3 versions of the DSM. he read that poo poo because it interests him. he loves history. he can take most anyone down in a game of history trivia, science trivia, cultural, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

lol why would you get a degree....i went to google univserity and now i'm a phd historian!

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

when ppl like that say they "love" history it means tehy read the first paragraph of the wiki article for war of the roses after watching game of thrones

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
i own all 5 game of thrones books. i read that poo poo because it interests me

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

medieval studies bangers role call

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Shadow posted:

itt a bunch of poors butthurt that no one pays them money to hear all about their liberal arts degrees

sorry for making you feel bad kiddo

maybe one day you'll get to that last payment on your student loan (lol)

lol if you think you earn more than me which i do having an awesome life and not writing code in a cubicle like some beta bitch

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
i studied transports / economics and it led me to a well paying job i hated

now i study sports science and will never make as much money but it's fun??? and i dont hate my life now

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot

Frog Act posted:

when ppl like that say they "love" history it means tehy read the first paragraph of the wiki article for war of the roses after watching game of thrones

Hey I also listened to some history podcasts okay I think I'm a little more than qualified to make normative statements about anything and everything

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
I.... Like engineering?
Also did a minor in history.

Just study whatever. Sure roi on some majors is crap, but we're all going to die in the end so who cares as long as you're not living in literal poverty until then.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

ive found you can learn as much from dan carlin as you can from any so called "scholarly work"

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tsinava posted:

im making fun of shadow because im a jealous poor who's mad he doesn't have a college degree. you see. shadow is a renessaince man if you didnt understand. he loves sociology. he loves psychology. he own the last 3 versions of the DSM. he read that poo poo because it interests him. he loves history. he can take most anyone down in a game of history trivia, science trivia, cultural, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXdU1O0lQko

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
if everyone were rich society would collapse, you have to do your part as a mediocre human being with limited economy, for the greater good

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Frog Act posted:

die die die diedie die die diedie die die diedie die die diedie die die diedie die die diedie die die diedie die die diedie die die diedie die die diedie die die diedie die die diedie die die die

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

I meant https://youtu.be/EXdU1O0lQko?t=6m12s for the most highly relevant subject matter

DGib
Jan 22, 2010
the only degree you can get that wont make you effectively middle class for the rest of your life is a business/finance degree

loling at people who spend so much effort trying to become engineers just to make like 100k

thats not even a livable wage to a real person

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
business and finance degrees are only worth it if youre getting them tp prove to daddy youre mature enough to inherit the family fortune

this is also why unpaid internships are a thing, rich kids cant keep down a paid job nor can they compete with the harder working poor

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DGib posted:

the only degree you can get that wont make you effectively middle class for the rest of your life is a business/finance degree

loling at people who spend so much effort trying to become engineers just to make like 100k

thats not even a livable wage to a real person

have no degree, make 100k

at least I have no college debt

can confirm not a livable wage

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
The bullshit of usa is that you need to pay two years of your wages in order to afford to study. Study should be free and everyone should just follow what they love more, not caring about the money. This would lead to a much happier and much more educated population

DGib
Jan 22, 2010

RattiRatto posted:

The bullshit of usa is that you need to pay two years of your wages in order to afford to study. Study should be free and everyone should just follow what they love more, not caring about the money. This would lead to a much happier and much more educated population

but then there is upward mobility for poors and lol gently caress that we need people to clean toilets

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Frog Act posted:

die die die diedie die die diedie die die diedie die die diedie die die diedie die die diedie die die diedie die die diedie die die diedie die die diedie die die diedie die die diedie die die die

Darlin'

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

lmao if you have to take out student loans to go to college

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

RattiRatto posted:

Stupid people are easier to control

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
The oligarchs are trying real hard to make higher education a thing that's mostly only for rich people again.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Methanar posted:

Stupid people are easier to control

Educated people are even easier to control

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

RattiRatto posted:

Its not free though on a fundamental level, it takes resources and lotsa people's time and expertise.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shadow posted:

So tired of the strawman of people who can't understand that those of us advocating job training style degrees are doing so because degrees cost so much loving money and college loan interest rates are insane.

I love sociology. I love psychology. I own the last 3 versions of the DSM. I read that poo poo because it interests me. I love history. I can take most anyone down in a game of history trivia, science trivia, cultural, etc.

What I didn't do was pay $50-150k on these interests.

I have a business degree because it taught me skills that also interest me, and it has the added bonus of making me more attractive for promotions upon proving my worth in jobs I've had.

End of the day, study what you want and be what you want, but spending tens of thousands of dollars or decades in debt for a Russian Lit degree is loving foolish. You can learn whatever you want to learn online for free. Save your money.

College should have a justifiable ROI. If you can spend $5k or 10 tops for a 4 year degree and essentially pay as you go, then by all means study whatever you want.

At least that's how I feel about it. I insist on business, science, engineering, law, medical style degrees because those degrees are typically required in certain industries that pay well. Spending $50k on them seems justified. Unless you have connections and a poo poo ton of luck, your French Impressionist degree will not impress anyone and whatever job you get never required it. Just buy some books and hit up YouTube. It'll give you the same.

:ssh: becoming a historian has very little to do with memorizing cool history facts

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Rutibex posted:

:ssh: becoming a historian has very little to do with memorizing cool history facts

I know what point you are trying to make and I generally agree, but as someone with a history degree and a Stem degree, you spend 4 years on the history degree learning how to do what the stem guy learns in one or two as an instinct thats just expected. His point stands.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

I know what point you are trying to make and I generally agree, but as someone with a history degree and a Stem degree, you spend 4 years on the history degree learning how to do what the stem guy learns in one or two as an instinct thats just expected. His point stands.

lmao

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

as someone who has frequent interaction with STEM majors

but if i were to look at the situation objectively, lots of history majors can't do the things they're supposed to do either

it's almost like someone's success relies more upon the person themselves and not their college major

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
It's kind of depressing to read old utopian texts about how technology will liberate humankind from the shackles of manual labor and everyone will be free to become an artist or a philosopher.

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
there's no hope. humanity is erasing itself.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

yeah but hes talking about his business degree. as someone with a history degree and a business degree, i can attest to the fact that business degrees teach you almost nothing (in fact economics class actually makes you stupider)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

whatis posted:

but if i were to look at the situation objectively, lots of history majors can't do the things they're supposed to do either

it's almost like someone's success relies more upon the person themselves and not their college major

this is the case right here. if you could read some of my class mates papers, dear god i have seen better analysis on 4chan.

what the difference is, pretty much anyone can get a history, or english, or psychology degree and slide through with a gentlemans C- . schools take them in to get that sweet tuition money. these people are unemployable in masses after graduation. STEM degrees involve tests that require knowing objective information and doing math. you can't really bullshit math like you can an essay so only the talented people can graduate STEM degrees.

Divot
Dec 23, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1wg1DNHbNU

(Too obvious?)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Rutibex posted:

this is the case right here. if you could read some of my class mates papers, dear god i have seen better analysis on 4chan.

what the difference is, pretty much anyone can get a history, or english, or psychology degree and slide through with a gentlemans C- . schools take them in to get that sweet tuition money. these people are unemployable in masses after graduation. STEM degrees involve tests that require knowing objective information and doing math. you can't really bullshit math like you can an essay so only the talented people can graduate STEM degrees.

Said someone who never tried to gently caress around through a 4th-level Humanities course. It's not Rocket Science and there are definitely professors/schools out there that will fudge things along so students pass, but then again even Harvard has crazy grade inflation and Devry is a real place so it's not like there aren't issues with a for-profit education system in any major.

My point being that even if you have the analytic/skill capacity of a tin can, you still need to be able to organize and apply yourself to get even a "Gentleman's C-" in high level courses, which isn't a "real skill" but does train basic mental muscles that you can laterally apply to other disciplines like STEM to fantastic results. Meanwhile in STEM the technical knowledge also comes down to basic organization and grit to learn and pass; even in math you don't have to understand the complex underlying concepts to be able to understand how to plug in the formulas and equations necessary to pass until you get to much higher levels. There are plenty of non-talented STEM graduates who didn't do much more than read what they were told, did the practice problems, showed up on the test date and didn't gently caress it up, and are now working in real jobs with real stakes and frequently engender "how the gently caress did they pass?" responses from their co-workers.

The bottom line is that a Humanities major is an incredibly uneconomical decision unless you've got strong networking skills relative to a STEM major and/or a huge load of money reserves, but in both cases you get out of them what you put in.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mind the walrus posted:

Said someone who never tried to gently caress around through a 4th-level Humanities course. It's not Rocket Science and there are definitely professors/schools out there that will fudge things along so students pass, but then again even Harvard has crazy grade inflation and Devry is a real place so it's not like there aren't issues with a for-profit education system in any major.

My point being that even if you have the analytic/skill capacity of a tin can, you still need to be able to organize and apply yourself to get even a "Gentleman's C-" in high level courses, which isn't a "real skill" but does train basic mental muscles that you can laterally apply to other disciplines like STEM to fantastic results. Meanwhile in STEM the technical knowledge also comes down to basic organization and grit to learn and pass; even in math you don't have to understand the complex underlying concepts to be able to understand how to plug in the formulas and equations necessary to pass until you get to much higher levels. There are plenty of non-talented STEM graduates who didn't do much more than read what they were told, did the practice problems, showed up on the test date and didn't gently caress it up, and are now working in real jobs with real stakes and frequently engender "how the gently caress did they pass?" responses from their co-workers.

The bottom line is that a Humanities major is an incredibly uneconomical decision unless you've got strong networking skills relative to a STEM major and/or a huge load of money reserves, but in both cases you get out of them what you put in.

i don't know how it works were you are from but were are am 4th year university courses are only in "honors" programs and are generally for people that are planning on going to graduate school. i was mostly referring to people that slide through and get a 3-year degree

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I mean really just lol if you can't dick around until your mid twenties and then join the family business and be balling out as VP of sales before 30 just lolll

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I spent two years in college studying engineering, and it didn't work out. Changed to political science, used my credits in other stuff/the fact I could manage more classes to have five minors when I graduated. Got a pretty decent sales job, and got laid off. Got another sales job. Hated it. Did an EMT class and now I make literally a quarter of the money but I also don't hate every second that I exist, so hurray for that.

Money is nice but if you have to spend most of your waking hours doing something you hate, and your time off recovering from hating it that much, it's not loving worth it at all.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Rutibex posted:

i don't know how it works were you are from but were are am 4th year university courses are only in "honors" programs and are generally for people that are planning on going to graduate school. i was mostly referring to people that slide through and get a 3-year degree

whats a 3 year degree, one and a half associates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Blue Raider posted:

whats a 3 year degree, one and a half associates?

in canada you can get a bachelors degree in 3 years, a 4 year degree is called an "honors" bachelor and is usually only for people going to graduate school/med school/law school

• Locked thread