Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khako
Dec 24, 2008

Lee #61
There's some COD mail scam going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Oh you.. :>
That scam was initially not against the rules but now it is.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

Brave New World posted:

Good to hear. I've been thinking about checking them out as well.

Same. I made a druid in the guild just to check it out. Now I have horde and ally chars, but am not sure which I'll play as a main or an alt. Both are low-level. so there's still time. The horde guild is kinda small, unfortunately, and hard to find groups in. On the other hand, everyone says that alliance suck in the BGs?

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Server is making GBS threads itself with 6.7k people on.

gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!

Phosphia posted:

That scam was initially not against the rules but now it is.

I'm glad they overturned their initial ruling on that due to the overwhelming volume of complaints on their forums pleading for action. I'd prefer it if the account responsible got a permaban instead of just a suspension, but it's certainly a step up from "yeah, scamming people is legal and we won't punish for it," which was entirely asinine.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Scamming should be fine as long as you aren't impersonating staff. That's how most good MMOs handle it.

These guys, though, are very obviously warranting a ban.

Rearden
Nov 28, 2012

Losers
Average
Losers

Califa posted:

Thanks, I joined them instead and love it so far.

Glad to hear! I'm Jaskip feel free to message me any time

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
4k ping. Good lord.

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

ShadowMoo posted:

4k ping. Good lord.

Yea today is especially rough

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Servers died again. Login is dead use login2 in realmlist.wtf

ShadowMoo fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 22, 2015

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Yeah, the population broke 7000. So I guess that there *IS* a downside to Nostalrius after all. :magical:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Jesus Christ how horrifying!

dirty nub
Jan 19, 2009

What guild are Horde goons in?

butt implants
Oct 16, 2004

i'm gay
<Better Call Thrall>

On a somewhat unrelated note, reading the drama on the Nos forums about an apparently attempt from Feenix devs trying to buy a DDoS attack on Nos brought up something- what financial incentive, if any, do owners of private servers have to keep them running? I mean, with the fees they have for hardware/bandwidth, and then paying to have a DDoS attack- what are the server owners getting out of it?

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

unterdude posted:

<Better Call Thrall>

On a somewhat unrelated note, reading the drama on the Nos forums about an apparently attempt from Feenix devs trying to buy a DDoS attack on Nos brought up something- what financial incentive, if any, do owners of private servers have to keep them running? I mean, with the fees they have for hardware/bandwidth, and then paying to have a DDoS attack- what are the server owners getting out of it?

I really don't think any private server operates under the guise of "completely free". The costs of server hardware and hosting probably aren't enough to stop a server from running. There comes a time when you have 7,000+ players and realizing you could make a lot of money by letting these people donate (whether its for new hardware, better hosting, or for themselves).

I just don't understand the argument against no-strings-attached donation in Nosts case, if these people work several years on this project and release it, there really isn't any reason for them not to be rewarded monetarily as long as it doesn't gently caress with the server. I think people have bad taste with the whole Rebirth incident and 'hardware'. Then you have Kronos which is owned by an actual business that does advertising for its servers in public places and will have a cash shop in place. It's $$$

Anyways in the end I'm sure owners of private servers may not go into the development with the idea of making money, but in reality the successful servers can be sitting on a gold mine and should take the opportunity as long as they don't start doing shady poo poo (but hey who knows, its money).

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

The Shortest Path posted:

Jesus Christ how horrifying!

Tell me about it! 1-3 sec delays per cast was like a waking nightmare for me while I was questing in Duskwood.

unterdude posted:

<Better Call Thrall>

It's mostly just an intrinsic desire to run their own server. I think they just hate the competition for those kinds of reasons. The for-profit ones are terrified of the free ones stealing their customers though, so there's that.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
New version of ShaguQuest released recently. http://shaguquest.ericmauser.de/

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Anyone know if there is a vanilla version of reported floating around?

If anyone just joining on horde needs 6slot bags just PM me on Rottencooter.

I'm rich as poo poo from clam meat :3

ShadowMoo fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 23, 2015

Dermit
Mar 22, 2005
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Rolled me up a warlock, in as Dermlock. Gonna need a guild invite when somebody gets a chance !

Khako
Dec 24, 2008

Lee #61
I've started to use paranoia and it's been a real help for neutral zones. A warning pops if an ally(or horde you filthy animals) is detected in the combat log, especially useful since a rogue activating stealth will get called out if he's near (from what I've read, haven't met an ally rogue yet)

http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=8660&so=&page=3

Khako fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 23, 2015

dirty nub
Jan 19, 2009

Has anyone got a good castbar to work? My buttons cover up the default one. Tried to get Quartz and perl to work but get errors

The Kenster
Jun 21, 2013

First of all, that Clocktown could really use a floating celestial object of doom... With a face!
So where can I grab the addons mentioned in the Guild MOTD? I could really use some LHCP and SAmotes in my life.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6dkmok3cjvg2dpi/LGW_SAmotes-1.0.zip SAmotes.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

dirty nub posted:

Has anyone got a good castbar to work? My buttons cover up the default one. Tried to get Quartz and perl to work but get errors

oCB has been getting it done for me, doesn't throw any errors save for the lag calculation but I can live with that disabled.

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

dirty nub posted:

I also wrote a castbar mod that showed lag and did (optional?) cast cancellation for fast casting.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o6e10ggygax0vgq/LagCast-1.0.zip

I think the LGW people have been doing updates to SAmotes. I don't play classic though :shrug:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Khako posted:

There's some COD mail scam going on.

Jokes on them I don't even have that much gold!

ShadowMoo posted:

Anyone know if there is a vanilla version of reported floating around?

I made my own for ED world chat a long time ago but stopped using it because I would get banned for it.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Hello I am posting for invite.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

drunken officeparty posted:

I made my own for ED world chat a long time ago but stopped using it because I would get banned for it.

I don't think we have that worry on Nostalrius. Would you mind putting it somewhere for a download? I'd really like to piss off Barrens chat. :getin:

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
Posting for proof of goonism. Trimm the Orc Rogue.

dirty nub
Jan 19, 2009

What mod is giving me these annoying loot messages?

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

That is prat. You can disable that in the options. I think it is called "popup" or something with that word in it.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

I'm in as Bypass, troll rogue.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
Plodding around Razor Hill ignoring my quests to pick herbs and skin dead scorpions, I wonder why am I doing this to myself again. :shepicide:

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Prophecy120 posted:

Plodding around Razor Hill ignoring my quests to pick herbs and skin dead scorpions, I wonder why am I doing this to myself again. :shepicide:

Wait till you hit the level 10-20 zones like barres. You will hate yourself.

gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!

Prophecy120 posted:

Tai posted:

Wait till you hit the level 10-20 zones like barres. You will hate yourself.

Hit up Silverpine as soon as you can; it's pretty quiet. Barrens is a mess--though you can split it with Stonetalon if you get high enough from Silverpine to abandon the horrible bottleneck quests when frustration sets in. On the plus side you're a rogue, so you won't have any problems tagging important quest mobs at their spawn points by spamming sinister strike if people won't party with you unless they have a pet on aggressive. Best chance to get ahead is grind everything you see while bouncing around quests.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I forgot how absolutely horrid doing low level dungeons is in this game. Wailing Caverns groups that bail before the last boss after three hours :shepicide:

At least I got the full fang set on the worst class to have it on.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I'm past the low levels up to like 20 that has an insane amount of people and it's hard to kill anything, but when I did it there was no trouble at all to just /yell or /general "LFG X" and get a party of random Serbians pretty fast.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Is there an alliance goon guild or just any ally guild that a few folks are in I am all alone

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
You should just merge with the /vg/ or 8chan poo poo guilds, doubt you have enough goons to accomplish anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodhouse
Aug 1, 2010

Tell me, Aldo, if I were sitting where you're sitting, would you show me mercy?

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

Is there an alliance goon guild or just any ally guild that a few folks are in I am all alone

I'm on Alliance since horde has just a ridiculous population it seems. Though I'm not sure there is a goon guild on alliance...I'm in Elysium as Automate/Morty.

• Locked thread