Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Brithearts Season 1: Not Quite the Full Monty

OOC Thread
String Sheet

Seating Chart
code:
         [Baker]
   A     B     C     D
1[Vanessa][Jayson][Edward ][Donna  ]
2[Sarah  ][Pippa ][Jessica][Darcy  ]
3[Lily   ][Elise ][Richard][Thom   ]
4[Troy   ][Andy  ][Blake  ][Megan  ]
5[Ian    ][Lydia ][Lizzie ][Felicia] 
6[Mark   ][Jay   ][Nadifa ][Charles]
The Players

Jessica Mallory the Vampire Played by GodFish
Megan Brooks the Witch Played by Rauri
Thom Brady the Mortal. Played by Someone Awful
Elizabeth "Lizzie" Lau the Angel Played by Gato
Felica Kelly the Unicorn Played by Kitty Empress
Jay Parker the Cuckoo Played by thelazyblank
Lydia Cinctus the Anasi Played by Lifegetsworser

It's another rainy and miserable Monday in Sheffield and you've all straggled in to your first class of the morning. Despite the well-meaning attempts by Mr Baker to stick up bright and cheery French posters the room still looks grey and depressing and the mood is not helped by the sombre tone of the announcements he gives after taking the register. First there's a memorial mass for the victims of a recent train crash scheduled for this afternoon. Since one of the victims was the schools long-term chaplain Father Pruett attendance is mandatory for all students. On a more positive note though Mr Baker does confirm that despite the recent deaths the schools Halloween disco will still be held as planned on Friday but he reminds you all that there better be no repeat of last year when certain students were caught smuggling alcohol into the dance. Fancy dress is optional but there will be a special prize for the best costume. Announcements said he returns to his morning cuppa and bends over his paperwork leaving the students to chat quietly amongst themselves.

Donna: Edward's hitting on you again. have you finally had enough of his attentions? And even if not how are you going to get him to shut up?

Thom: One of your classmates came into your branch of Starbucks when you were working a shift over the weekend. Who was it? And what did they say to you that's still bothering you?

Megan: You tried experimenting with a new spell over the weekend didn't you. What was it? And why do you think it went wrong?

Blake: Andy the captain of the rugby team is sat next to you. Veraxes told you one of his secrets when he was bullying you What was it? And how did you use it against him?

Jessica: You at least should have no trouble finding a date for the disco. Has anyone caught your eye yet? And is there anyone who's been immune to your charms?

Pippa: Jayson is sat there looking just as attractive as usual. Have you come up with a way yet to get him to pay attention to you? And do you have any competition for his affections?

Please include your character sheet in your first post.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Blake Dunsmuir

Nursing his coffee- Black, with a triple shot of espresso- Blake sat in the back of the class, heavy bags under his eyes. As Andy sat beside him, Blade rolled his eyes. The boy was so deep in the closet that he probably barely realized himself. So naturally, having heard of this from Veraxes, Blake decided to seed the rumour mill. All it needed now was time. Taking a hard drink of his coffee, he sighed as Richard sat in front of him, blocking his view of Jessica. Two jocks around them, maybe he should introduce the two of them together. I mean both of them like getting hot, sweaty and tangling their legs together- they'd make a great match. As Mr Baker started his announcements, he perked up when Baker told him that the disco was still happening. If it was anything like last year, it was going to be boring- unless Blake could manage what he was planning. If he had his way, this dance would end up so much better.

Turning to Megan, Blake asked, "How was your weekend?"

quote:

[quote]Name: Blake Dunsmuir
Skin: The Infernal

Look
Tense
calculating Eyes

Origin
Bartered Soul

Stats

Hot -1
Cold -1
Volatile 1
Dark 2

Moves

Soul Debt: Veraxes the Trickster
Name a dark power that you owe a debt to. Choose two
Bargains that it has made with you. It can hold Strings
against you. Whenever it collects 5 Strings against you,
trigger your Darkest Self.

Unknowable
When you lash out physically against someone, on a 10 up,
they lose 1 String on you. • On a 7-9, add to your list of
options: they lose 1 String on you.

Bargains

Strings Attached
You can ask the dark power for something that you really,
really want. The MC will attach a price to the thing you
want, and hint at an undesired twist in its nature. If you
pay the price, you’ll get what you’re after.

Elsewise Power
You can give the dark power a String to use a move you
don’t have, just this once. This move can come from any playbook.

Sex Move
When you have sex, the Dark Power loses a String on you and gains a string on whoever you had sex with

Darkest Self
You can't get what you need, anymore. The world has left you cold and alone, shivering in the wake of your own addictions. The dark power will make some open ended demands of you, and it'll promise you some lucrative (and perhaps volatile) things in return. Every demand you fulfill brings you a little closer to feeling whole again, to rekindling the fire in your heart. Whenever you fulfill those demands, remove a String it holds on you. You escape your Darkest Self when the dark power has no more Strings on you, or when you agree to an even worse bargain with an even more dangerous dark power.

Interconnection

You owe debts. Give away 3 Strings, divided any way you like between the dark power and the other characters.]

Someone thinks they can save you. Gain a String on them.

I have 1 string on Pippa
I have 1 string on Megan

Backstory
Blake Dunsmuir isn't an ordinary soul. Bounced around from foster home to foster home, I never really made friends, at school or elsewhere. as I'd never know if I was going to another school next year, or even mid-semester. The good homes, they were good but they were few and far between. At the bad homes... well, it's best not to talk about it. Except that's where I met Rebecca. She was the one who led me to Him. She had this old book- she lifted it from her previous foster home- and in it was His name- Veraxes. Reading on, the book told us what he could do for us, how it could make our lives better, we just had to do a little ritual.

When we completed the ritual, we got what we wanted. Rebecca, she got magic. Me, I found my way out. I asked Veraxes to get rid me out of that home, find me someplace stable. So he did. The next day Rebecca went insane, started cursing the foster family- literally, their skin was sloughing off and rotting. She went to the asylum, I went back to the temp home- ritual book in tow- and those fucker's deaths were never explained. A couple days later, a pair of rich folks- Rosemary and Ian Dunsmuir- came by, looking to adopt, and they picked me. Whispering a thank you to Veraxes, I kept the tome nearby from then on. That was about five years ago now.

About a year later, the Dunsmuirs enrolled me at Saint Andrew's, to 'sharpen me up' and 'increase the chances of going to Oxford'. I don't know what's funnier, a foster kid like me in a fancy-pants school, or that I'm going to a Catholic school and I literally make deals with the Devil.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 13, 2015

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Megan Brooks
Hot: -1 Cold: 1 Volatile: -1 Dark: 2
Harm 0/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions:

Oh boy, a fancy Halloween event. I can hardly wait. Can't wait to see a popular kid that spent a bunch of money on a pop-culture costume win. It's the way of the universe I guess. Leaned back in my chair with my coat still on (even though it's a little wet) I'm having a hard time not falling asleep. My sleep schedule got thrown off - badly - this weekend. Barely slept at all last night, and it's not like I'm a morning person to begin with.

So when Blake asks me how my weekend went, I jerk up, both eyes flying open because for a split second I thought Mr. Blake had just called on me. Oh poo poo, I guess I'd started to doze off. I give him a sheepish smile and answer his inquiry with a half-truth. "Oh, hey Blake, uh... it was alright, boring really. Hung around my flat and slept a lot. How was yours? Hopefully it's a better story than mine." I had just hung around my apartment this weekend... because I'd been practicing a hex I read about in my dad's notes. It's basically a divination spell, like from Dungeons and Dragons - I've perused the books for ideas and played a few times shut up. Idea being, I go to sleep after performing this ritual, and then I'll "dream" what the hexed person is perceiving. Should be useful, right? Find out people's secrets, what the really think of you, find my dad it's got a lot of potential.

Which is why wrecking my weekend repeatedly forcing myself to take naps, then trying to time the next ritual when I crash after being up too late due to the nap, for absolutely no progress was frustrating. I know he has wards or some other defense against my other hexes, but this doesn't affect him - it would've just let me view things through his eyes. I thought it would bypass his spell, but I guess not. I need to practice it on an easier target first, I think. Just gotta pick a target. Preferably someone I haven't hexed before, since that might interfere somehow.

quote:

Name: Megan Brooks
Skin: Witch
Look: Guarded, Calculating Eyes
Origin: Gifted

Stats
Hot: -1
Cold: 1
Volatile: -1
Dark: 2

Moves
Sympathetic Tokens
You gain power from sympathetic tokens - items of personal significance that you take from others. Each sympathetic token counts as a String.

Hex-Casting
You can cast Hexes. Choose two that you know. To cast them, either expend a sympathetic token during a secret ritual, or meet the target’s gaze and chant at them in tongues. Then roll with dark. On a 10 up, the Hex works, and can easily be reversed. On a 7-9, it works but choose one:
  • the casting does you 1 harm;
  • the Hex has unexpected side effects;
  • trigger your Darkest Self.
Sanctuary
You have a secret place for practising witchcraft. Add 1 to all rolls you make within this space.

Sex Move
After sex, you can take a sympathetic token from them. They know about it, and it’s cool.

Hexes
  • Wither - The person loses all of their hair, or their teeth start rotting and falling out, or their period comes and it comes by the bucketful, or their skin gets all sickly yellow and spotty. Whatever the specifics, it’s bad.
  • Illusions - Pick one: snakes and bugs, demonic visages, false prophecies, non-existent subtext. The hexed sees that thing everywhere. You have no control over the exact images or manifestations.
  • Binding - The person cannot physically harm others.
  • Ring of Lies - Whenever the person attempts to lie, they hear a piercing ringing noise. Big lies will often make their knees buckle and disorient them. Severe lies can cause harm or even brain damage.
  • Watching - You enter a deep sleep, and begin to see the world through the eyes of the hexed. You can feel their reactions to and impressions of what they are seeing.
Darkest Self
The time for subtlety and patience is over. You’re too powerful to put up with their garbage any longer. You hex anyone who slights you. All of your hexes have unexpected side effects, and are more effective than you are comfortable with. To escape your Darkest Self, you must offer peace to the one you have hurt the most.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 07:23 on May 8, 2015

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

quote:

Oh, my family have been around here for centuries, really. Parish records have us back to at least the 1500s and while it gets spotty after that we have been here since before the Conquest, maybe even before the Romans. How do I know? Well, a combination of private archives, some DNA sequencing on old bodies, and the oral history. It's easier to maintain that kind of unbroken chain of descent with dragons, of course.

Oh, don't look so shocked. You came here looking for something, didn't you? Was it the strange carvings in the church that tipped you off? Discrepancies in the accounts of the origin of the ballad? Those conveniently and selectively destroyed historical documents? Well, you don't have to say. It won't really matter. You'll have to sign a non-disclosure agreement before you leave anyway, so do you have any questions for me?

How many of us are there? I presume you mean dragons, not just family members? One per generation, essentially. There were twins once who both got the blood but one of them...didn't quite work out. That's where the legend comes from, of course - the poor simple lizard killed with a boot to the arse. Not our finest hour.

Why am I going to St. Andrews and not some posh public school? Uhh, because my dad is an IT guy and not a merchant banker? Living above our means would attract attention, and that brings curious investigators and then some complete twat with a sword shows up yelling about virgins. Besides, all my friends go here. The Catholic thing doesn't really bother me, when my family bother going to church at all we tend to go in for pomp and ceremony above actual religious content.

Am I going to...eat you? Hahaha, no. Not personally. I don't have the taste for human flesh yet. Grandad will do the actual eating. Oh, don't cry. We feed you a thing that makes you sleep first. If it's any consolation I think you were very good to get this far.

No, I don't think that would comfort me either.

Donna Wharncliffe, The Wyrm

Look: Collected, Unblinking Eyes.

Origin: In your blood

Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 2

Your Backstory
Judge each other PC as either “treasure” or “merely currency.”
If they're treasure, describe the moment they caught your eye, and give them a String. If they're merely currency, take a String on them. Read them this: "Describe something off-putting that I said to you."

Blake Dunsmuir: Merely Currency. There's something off about Blake.

Phillipa "Pippa" Lambton: Treasure. Pippa is really easy going and fun to be around, our dads work in similar industries (maybe the same company?) and her last name sounds really familiar.

Jessica Mallory: Treasure. I don't know what happened to her earlier in the year, but all of a sudden she's got most of the boys (and easily half the girls) drooling after her. That kind of power doesn't come cheap, and I want to know more about it.

Megan Brooks: Merely Currency, as well as being a grubby thief.

Thomas ("Thom") Brody: Merely Currency. He's a pretty boy, I guess?

Wyrm Moves

You get these two, then choose one:

Bargaining Ceremony
Drinking tea, sharing a cigarette, playing chess, or sitting back to back are all ceremonies. When negotiating a bargain during
a ceremony, both of you can offer Strings as part of that bargain. This can include Strings you have on others, or new Strings that you generate on yourselves. When you're both satisfied, the exchange occurs.

The Bait
You have a collection of antique jewellery. When you show it to someone, they inevitably find something they fancy. They will mark
experience when it becomes theirs and is no longer yours. Also, choose one: they see something someone else would like, and when you show that someone the something, carry one forward against them; the time has flown by and it's hours later than you thought.

Scales
Once per session, you can transform into a terrifying beast of talons and coils. Give yourself the Condition secretly vulnerable. While transformed, you can roll to lash out physically with dark, except do as much harm as you like. When the scene ends, you collapse back into your human form.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, read them this: "Choose at least one thing from this list, and for each that you choose, describe something I learn about you from our intimacy: Give me a String on you, and take something from my collection. Give me a String on you, and take a String on me as well. Give me a String on you, and I'll promise you anything you'd like. Give me a String on you, and then
give me a Condition."

Darkest Self
You've become too heady, too lax, too vague. You need to dominate one of the people-things that you treasure, let it know that it's yours, that it doesn't get to choose who owns it – you do. You escape your Darkest Self when your treasured thing proves that you don't own it entirely, or when you see the difference between objects and people.

Advancement
Take another Wyrm move.
Take another Wyrm move.
Take a move from another Skin.
Take a move from another Skin.
You find some willing
Collection Curators.
Add 1 to Hot (max 3).
Add 1 to Cold (max 3).
Add 1 to Volatile (max 3).
Add 1 to Dark (max 3).

Ugh, Edward. Stop, please, just stop. You are not a charming, devil may care sporting hero, you are a greasy teenager with with dodgy chin-fluff and mud on your trousers. No amount of rolling my eyes or stony silence is going to stop you going on about taking me to the disco, is it? No, I didn't think so. An exasperated sigh? God, it's like trying to ignore a particularly irritating puppy. You just are not going to take a polite hint, are you? No, don't start talking about costumes. No, I will not go as some kind of sexy nurse, you absolute git. Alright, clearly sterner measures are called for.

"Actually, Ed, I was thinking about giving the disco a miss. What with the crash, and old Pruett getting...well. I'm just not in the mood for a party right now."

Shut Down: 2d6+1 9

Giving Ed the condition Tactless, he gets to give Donna one in return

With that little distraction dealt with I can get back to actually doing...whatever it was I was doing before he started rabbiting on. Staring out the window, mostly. Checking out the class behind me. How does Jessica get her hair to look that good? I spend ages on mine just to get it under control, she looks like she rolled out of bed and through a salon on her way to class. Ugh, jealous.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Blake Dunsmuir
Hot: -1 Cold: -1 Volatile: 1 Dark: 2
Harm: 0/4| Experience 0/5| Conditions:

"Glad one of us got some sleep." Blake gave a wan smile, "Though from what it looks like, you're outright lying to me. My weekend, I guess was a bit more eventful than yours, but not really by a ton Spent a bit of time doing stuff for the dance Friday. Besides that, not a lot. The crash put a lot on my mind I guess."

Blake leaned back in his chair, eyes closing for a brief moment The train was packed, enough that most of the seats were filled on this cart. He looked at his Rolex- 7:06. Then everything went to hell. The brakes screeched as a rumble rattled throughout the car. Then, the screaming started. Blake jolted, looking around, realizing that only a couple seconds had passed.

Wiping his face, he placed back on a tense smile, hoping that Megan passed it off as him falling asleep in class rather than anything else.

"Won't tell Baker if you put your head down for a couple minutes if you need a bit of a nap."

berenzen fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Mar 10, 2015

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Thom Brody
Hot 1, Cold -1, Volatile -1, Dark 2

The Hallowe'en disco... I'd almost forgotten it was a thing. I'd gotten the day off work for it, even, but since the train crash I've been feeling out of sorts. Death is so weird. It still doesn't feel like Father Pruett's gone. I didn't really like the man, but he was still someone I knew, someone I was used to seeing around. And now he isn't.

I hope I don't fall apart at the mass.

I shake my head a little, and find that the empty space I thought I'd been staring at now contained Richard's head. I wasn't sure what was up with him, really; I keep my distance from the footballers at the best of times, and Richard was not only one of them, but also apparently mental. Honestly -- if there were demons, I'm sure they'd have better things to do than play sports. Mentally rolling my eyes, I look past him, at the rest of my classmates.

Andy was oddly nice for an athlete-type, though, I thought, giving him a tiny smile across the room. We didn't usually chat, for what I hope are obvious reasons, but he'd come into the Starbucks on Sunday. He mentioned the whole Father Pruett thing -- seemed more upset about it than I was, even -- and then brought up the disco, and kind of ... asked me to go? Not, like, with him. That'd be mental. But he said it might help take my mind off things, and he was so earnest about it. I'm not even sure why. I s'pose since he asked, it couldn't hurt to put in an appearance on Friday, at least...

I breathed a low sigh and stared at the endless grey through the window, one ear open to Megan and Blake's conversation. Poor Megan sounds so tired...

quote:

The Mortal
Name: Thomas ("Thom") Brody
Look: Beautiful; sad eyes
Origin: Your barista

Stats

Moves:
True Love
You always have exactly one lover. The first is chosen during your backstory. If you ever fall in love with someone else instead, give them a String and they become your new lover. You always carry 1 forward to earning your lover’s heart or fancy.

Sympathy is My Weapon
Every time you forgive someone for hurting you, and excuse their base nature, take a String on them.

Excuses Are My Armour
When you ignore some blatant problem with your lover or how they treat you, mark experience.

Sex move:
When you have sex with someone, trigger their Darkest Self.

Darkest Self:
Nobody understands you, or even wants to. They’d rather you disappear. Well, you’re not going to disappear. You’re going to make life a living hell for them. You’ll betray the wicked to the judges, the weak to the executioners. You’ll pit humans and supernaturals against one another, until everyone looks like monsters. Only seeing the pain that you’re causing your lover will let you escape your Darkest Self.

Backstory:
True Love: Currently Megan Brooks

someone awful. fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Mar 10, 2015

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Megan Brooks

I perk up when Blake mentions he spent part of his weekend preparing for the disco. That's not what I expected to hear. He cares about it? Does he mean he was making a costume, or what? Is he going with anyone?

No one's asked me, by the way. That probably went without saying. It'd be really nice to be asked. Then he offers to play lookout for me if I wanna take a nap, even though he looks like he's about to doze off too. That's sweet. I am rather tired. "Maybe in a bit, stayed up too late watching telly... but first, dance plans? Like what?"

I think I've thought of a way to find out without tipping my hand too much. Nodding towards Jessica and like everything's perfectly clear, I layout his supposed plan. "Let me guess... you spent the entire weekend perfecting hypnosis in order to trick Jessica into going with you." Looking around at the rest of my classmates, I add "since that's probably what about every other person here was doing too." Because she's insanely attractive, it's not at all fair. I try to sound playful, heavy on the sarcasm - mostly trying to keep any and all well-justified bitterness out of it.

And now, if I phrased all that right, he should respond with clarification about what he actually did and maybe, hopefully, realize he hasn't asked anyone and well we are talking.

Turn On Blake: 2d6-1 2
Or not

Rauri fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Mar 10, 2015

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Jessica Mallory, The Vampire
Hot 2 | Cold 1 | Volatile -1 | Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions: None

A date for the disco, well... A few people have asked me already actually, though I've shot them down. The best quality most of them had was confidence, but even the reasonably good looking ones seemed, well, boring. I probably would have taken any of them up on it a few months ago, but I'm not going to settle for anyone who'll have me that wouldn't be embarrassing to go with. I'm going to ask someone I want to go with for once. I just need to figure out who that'd be. I've been a bit caught up in my own issues the last bit to think about this sort of thing.

I glance around the room, seeing if anyone jumps out at me. Darcy..... no. Donna and Pippa are both ever so slightly tempting targets, even if just to see what kind of backlash the school would have, Edward another no. After hearing that pathetic exchange between him and Donna, I can't help but lean in towards them to add my own barb to the pile. "A party can do wonders for lifting the mood you know, but I expect she wouldn't be interested in going with a man for a partner."

shut down Edward, [04:37] godfish !r 2d6+1 [04:37] Krysmbot godfish, 9+1 = 10: I'll take a string on Edward

I give Donna a wink, leaving Edward to stew in humiliation, and go back to my sweep of the room, my eyes landing on Troy this time. Troy.... I hardly remember hes here, but the last time I did think about it, I figured it'd make him a safe target for a quick snack. Who'd notice the forgettable kid being a bit paler than normal, right? But when I tried flirting with him to get him somewhere private, it was like he didn't even see me. Just muttered a reply and headed off on his own. Don't know whats up with that kid.

Blake and Thom now, hmm. Blake has something ...intense about him, and Thom is one of the hottest guys in the class, even if it is in a kind of boring boy next door kid of hot. Might be worth keeping in mind, hm- was Megan just staring at me? I look at her curiously until our eyes meet again, then I give her a lingering smile to see how she reacts.

Lets turn on Megan for good measure [04:56] godfish !r 2d6+2 [04:56] Krysmbot godfish, 9+2 = 11 string get

Jessica Mallory, The Vampire posted:

Name: Jessica Mallory

Look: intense, hungry eyes
Origin: newly reborn

Moves
Hypnotic
You can hypnotize people who have no Strings on you. Roll with hot. On a 10 up, they do exactly what you wish and have no idea that anything is wrong. On a 7-9, the hypnosis works, but choose one:
~they realize you hypnotized them;
~they gently caress up your commands;
~their sanity is unhinged.

The Feeding
You feed on hot blood. If this is the first time they’ve ever been fed upon, you both mark experience. When you feed, choose two:
~you heal 1 harm previously suffered,
~you carry 1 forward,
~they don’t die.

Stats
Hot: 2
Cold: 1
Volatile: -1
Dark: -1

Darkest Self
Everyone is your pawn, your plaything. You hurt them and make them vulnerable, for sport, like a cat does with a mouse. You feed to the point of death whenever you’re alone with someone, though you take your time. You escape your Darkest Self when you’re put in your rightful place, by someone more powerful than you.

Sex Move
When you deny someone sexually, gain a String on them. When you have sex with someone, lose all Strings on that person.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Blake Dunsmuir

I scoffed when Megan mentioned Jessica. She was insanely hot, but... "I'm pretty sure I'd be left bloody and bruised if I did anything more than a glance at Jessica. I mean, every drat jock is jockeying to sit around Jess. If it wasn't for Pippa, I'm sure that Jay would be sitting where she is right now. Not to mention she'd probably laugh in my face if I even asked, the girls is far, far out of my league."

Running his hands through my hair, I receded into my thoughts momentarily, half-listening to Megan, completely oblivious to her flirting. I suppose that I haven't asked anyone yet, and Megan is a very obvious and pretty good choice, maybe she'd actually say yes. I opened my mouth to ask her out before pausing. poo poo, I was just talking about Jessica. If I ask Megan out now, she's just going to think I'm settling. I have to phrase this right.

Putting my finger to my lips, I gave a small secretive smile, "I'm keeping my ultimate plans for the dance a secret. Typically these things are a bit boring, but they really only need a bit of a push in order for things to get exciting. With old Pruett gone, everyone really wants the pick-me-up, so it's not going to take much. Now that you mention it though, I don't have a date, and I think I'd enjoy a pretty girl on my arm. You want to come with me on Friday?"

Turning Megan on (Hot): 2d6-1 4
nope

I tensed up, that was pretty pathetic, even to my ears. Why the hell did I mention Pruett? 'Cause nothing turns a girl on more than talking about an old dead priest. gently caress me, I'm a god damned mess. I need to sleep.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 10, 2015

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Donna: "Oh come on, It'll be fun and everyone else is going to be there." He tries desperately to persuade you otherwise but on getting no response he mutters something under his breath that sounds a lot like "frigid huh just gotta warm her up to me." While you are pretending to ignore him and daydreaming you happen to spot someone running across the playing fields. Whoever it is certainly late for class. After looking closely you realise you recognise them, who is it? and which extra-curricular activity do you know them from?

He gives you the condition Frigid.

Megan: As your head slumps lower towards the desk you get a flash of something as your eyes slowly close. You're on a train hurtling closer to destruction. Blake sits next to you looking in horror as something looms out of the darkness behind him he holds out his hands and they are covered in blood. Before you have a chance to say anything the vision clears and you are back in the classroom.When you come to your senses and the first thing you see is Jessica giving you a sultry smile you must be at least a little confused. Have you ever had another girl look at you like that before?

Blake: Your chat-up line went down like a lead balloon. Maybe Megan was just too tired to care as her head slumps on the desk. When she comes to she shoots you a horrified look before almost immediately getting her face back under control. Is this the worst reaction you've ever had to one of your chat-up lines or have there been even worse ones?

Thom: Did you just hear right? Did Blake really try and hit on Megan? Crap, If you don't move faster she's gonna be in a relationship with someone else. Still from careful observation its not stalking honest you think you've found the perfect solution. The one thing that's practically guaranteed to get her interested in you. What is it? and what did you have to do to get your hands on it?

Jessica: Edward practically jumps out of his seat, at your comment and turns to glare at you. You hear Darcy snigger at his reaction and he transfers his ire to him. Darcy grins and says " shot down twice and it's not even 9:30 that's gotta be a new world record." He snaps back."Oh yeah like you have so much experience with women." The two keep arguing back and forth, if it carries on much longer it'll come to blows and then Mr Baker will have to take notice. Do you care? and if you do what are you going to do to them to get them to shut up?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Blake Dunsmuir

Well gently caress, I've seen sniggers and disgust from people, but I can't say I've gotten looks of outright horror from girls I've asked out before. I mean, this tops the time that I tripped when going up the stairs and spilled cranberry juice all over queen bee Melissa Ashby's white sweater, in front of all of her friends. She and her clique made sure that my life was made a living hell for a few weeks after that. That was bad, this was worse. Now, it looks like I'm in damage control. Jesus, maybe, just maybe I could salvage this friendship. Just, how do you go about forgetting the abject fear that someone had on their face because you asked them on a harmless date? I guess, to start is to try and make them forget it.

"Forget I said anything." I quickly backpedaled, slapping on a smile. How do you handle someone who is horrified that you asked them out. This whole thing was a train... I quickly quash the rising 'memory'. Well there's one phrase I'll never be able to use again. The whole thing was a wreck, and if it had been anyone else, I'm sure I would have relished in the schadenfreude.

Opening up my notebook, I buried myself in my notes, studiously ignoring everyone adjacent to me. There was a bit of a commotion in the front of the class- looks like Edward got himself served by Jessica and Donna. Ah well, he's a sleazy rear end in a top hat anyway.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Sorry I'm late, I just got some big real life news (good news, thank God) and it's kept me a bit busy.

Pippa Lambton
Hot: 2 Cold: -1 Volatile: 1 Dark: -1

Pippa does her best to listen to the morning announcements. She knows she should feel sad about Father Pruett and all the other people who were killed, but all she can think about is the boy in front of her. She imagines him turning around to face her, his gorgeous brown eyes shining, his kissable lips forming the words she most wants to hear from him...

...but the announcements come and go and Jayson shows no sign of wanting to ask Pippa to the disco. She can't help but sigh in frustration. She's tried making herself pretty for him, going to his matches, but nothing seems to work so far. Should she ask him herself? No, boys are meant to ask girls out; she'd look desperate if she asked him! Of course, she's starting to feel pretty desperate, but she can't let Jayson know that. But she's also seen how he looks at Vanessa. Pippa needs to take more direct action!

Pippa's hand shoots up with the speed of a racehorse bursting out of the starting gate. "Monsieur Baker," she asks, "May I please have a tissue? Thanks." She struts slowly over to the teacher's desk and makes sure to bend slightly at the waist as she takes the tissue from the box. She turns back - is Jayson noticing?

Turning On Jayson: 2d6+2 10
YES. One string on Jayson AND One XP for using my Hot stat!

Pippa flounces back to her desk, triumphant. "Elise, I've been meaning to ask you, do you still need help putting up posters? Because I think I can round up some more people to help. Many hands, right?"

quote:

The Chosen
Name: Phillipa "Pippa" Lambton
Sex: Female
Look: Average, radiant eyes
Origin: Destined

Stats
Hot 2, Cold -1, Volatile 1, Dark -1

Moves:
Come Prepared: You have an outlandishly large armory [sic], complete with ancient artifacts [sic]. Just in case the need arises.

Growing Pains: When you fail to protect your friends, mark experience.

Sex Move: When you have sex, heal all of your wounds, and cure all of your Conditions. If they disgust you, give them a String. If you disgust yourself, give them a String.

Darkest Self: None of your friends can help. They’re not strong like you are. You need to chase down the biggest threat imaginable, immediately and alone. Any challenges or dangers that you encounter must be faced head on, even if they might kill you. You escape your Darkest Self when someone comes to your rescue or you wake up in the hospital, whichever comes first.

Backstory: You have two friends (Jessica and Thom) who you can rely on for monster-slaying support. Take a String on each.

There’s someone who knows that you’re the Chosen one, and wants you dead. The MC gives them a name and two Strings on you.

E: Answered the last bit of Ferrosol's question.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Mar 11, 2015

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Thom Brody

I bite the inside of my lip to keep from smiling at Blake's expense. Even without looking, it seems like he got shut down hard. Any other time I'd feel bad, but as it's Megan, I let myself indulge in a bit of schadenfreude. Just a bit. With Blake nursing his wounded pride, I s'pose I could try and chat up Megan a bit. Just -- friendly, like. I don't want to catch it if Blake left her in a mood. I push my mop of curls back from my eyes as I turn to face her. She looks as tired as she sounded, and a little bewildered; I give her what I hope is my best smile, or at least a good enough one to catch her eye and distract from Blake's foot in his mouth.

"Are you going in costume? To the dance, I mean?" I ask. "I've been sort of working a bit on one, but I don't know who else is."

This is kind of an incredible understatement; I've been putting most of my spare time (as though I have any) and more money than I ought to've into my Hallowe'en costume in the hopes of catching her eye. It's been a lot of late nights and stabbing myself with sewing needles, but I think -- I hope -- it'll absolutely catch her eye on Friday. Of course, I still have to ask her, don't I.

"I -- I mean, I'm sure you'll look brilliant either way," I add, unable to keep myself from rambling a bit. "You always do."

Turn on Megan: 2d6+1 6
Bumped up to a 7 from True Love for a partial success. Mark XP for rolling Hot.

someone awful. fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 11, 2015

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Donna Wharncliffe
Harm 0/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions: Frigid

Despite successfully knocking Ed for six there I'm not sure I won...Jessica's words and wink have completely undermined the point I was making and I have to conceal my burning cheeks by staring out the window again. No, I'm not blushing because I...shut up! Stupid imagination. I'm just...annoyed. At stupid perfect Jess butting in on my conversation with her stupid perfect face and her insinuation that I would rather...well. I can hear Ed still muttering and at this rate I'm beginning to wonder if it will take grinding his bones to make my bread before he takes 'no' for an answer. We'll find out.

I have to blink and double check that I'm not imagining things when I see Jordan Jones half-way across the field up to his knees in mud, staggering about like he's drunk or dead tired. Jordan's a walking stereotype - Welsh, thinks he's a poet, family used to be in mining back in the day and now they mostly seem to be in media. He's a year ahead of us, I know him because I was in a theatre group with him last year (Mum's idea - trying to get me out of the house and meeting new people) and he likes going for long walks in the hills. He's not so keen on respecting other people's property though - keeps wandering onto farms and trying to break into old quarries and things. Wonder why he's running so late?

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Megan Brooks

Am I still asleep, and dreaming? That vision... what could it possibly mean? Is Blake responsible for Father's Pruett's death somehow? The bloody hand symbolism is obvious... More importantly, why in bloody hell did I just see it?

Still in the midst of recovering from that vision, I blink my eyes a few time as reality replaces... whatever it was I was seeing, and I think Blake is saying something but I'm intensely distracted by Jessica. She's, well, she's basically staring at me, and I think some of the guys in the class would literally kill to get her to look at them similarly. It's, uh, confusing. Nobody looks at me like that, ever, especially not a girl, especially someone that I've never even really talked to. Meeting her gaze for maybe half a second, my face flushes with embarrassment and I have to look away - thank God I sit by this window and can pretend to be intensely distracted by the outside world. Is she just messing with me? That's the only thing that would make sense. She's like... astoundingly hot.

I'm more weirded out by someone smiling at me than I am at receiving spontaneous, impossible visions. I am officially not normal.

Adding onto the confounding nature of my morning's narrative, Thom turns around in his seat very shortly thereafter, gives me a grin, and asks about the Disco too - specifically, if I'm going in-costume. With most people I'd figure it's just a prelude to a joke at my expense, but Thom's not an rear end in a top hat like most people, so I can actually answer him in earnest. And I am JUST about to when he adds on that I'll look great no matter what, and then mumbles something else after I can't quite make out but like... it sounded pleasant, if that makes any sense. What is going on today? First Jess and now him? Maybe the hex I messed up this weekend had a side-effect of making everyone want to look at me?

"Oh, uhh, thanks." I'm blushing again, but press on like everything's normal Oh my god he thinks I'm cute! "Yeah, I was going to go as Pansy Parkinson." I grin for a moment, and then remember - as always - that a lot of people don't remember that character at all. "She's, uh... a character from Harry Potter, Slytherin from the same year as Harry." Oh god why did I explain that, it's not like he's going to care. "But I was thinking about bleaching my hair and going as Luna instead. What are you dressing up as? Or are you going to pull a Blake?" I gesture at him, finally remembering that I kinda left him hanging earlier, "and keep your plans all mysterious?"

Thom gets a string on Megan.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Pippa: Pippa, Elise shoots you an amused grin after noticing your display with Jayson. but when you ask about the posters she says she's fine. "Although I could still use some more volunteers to help me get the decorations put up on Friday afternoon. As it is we're going to be rushing it." Will you volunteer or do you already have a prior engagement?

Blake: Blake, you can't help but overhear Pippa and Elise's conversation. Are you going to volunteer yourself? It'd probably score you major brownie points with the two lovely ladies and give you the perfect cover to set things up to liven up the party. Or would being that early really spoil your surprise?

Thom: Success! She seems kind of interested in you. Still are you going to push your luck and try asking her out now? or wait until you can catch her alone? Also did you know she was a big potter nerd or is this news to you?

Donna: So Donna you were into acting huh? Are you still interested or was it just a passing fancy? What did or does attract you most about being on stage anyway?

Megan Yeah it is kind of weird and inexplicable. Still enjoy it while it lasts. Do you always babble like that when you're nervous? What embarrassing thing did you babble out the last time you did so?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Pippa Lambton
Harm: 0/4| Experience 1/5| Conditions:

"Oh yeah, absolutely! I'm free and clear." Friday afternoon is usually when Pippa goes to the grocer's to get supplies for Mr. Goodfellow's scones, but she supposes she could hold off on that until later. When do the shops close, anyway? Of course, then she'd have to push back homework time to Sunday, but she'd manage, right?

"I'll ask some of my friends if they want to help too. Jessica," Pippa says, whipping her right, "Do you want to help too?" She then leans over to shout in Donna's direction, "What about you, Donna, do you want to help decorate for the disco? Decent place to see and be seen, I'd wager."
I'm spending my Strings on Jessica and Donna to offer them an Experience Point to help with the disco.

She then turns around to look at Thom, but pauses. He's busy talking with Megan, and Pippa knows he fancies her: now wouldn't be a good time to ask. They'd be so cute together, and maybe if she got together with Jayson they could all go on double dates! Pippa smiles at the thought. She can always ask him for help later.

Speaking of dating Jayson, he's had a chance to stew for a few seconds. Now's the time for Pippa to make her next move. "Jayson," she says, putting on what she hopes is her most winning smile. "What about you? I sure could use the help, and we'll have a nice chance to talk."
Spending my String on Jayson to add 3(!) to my Manipulate NPC roll on Jayson.
Manipulating NPC Jayson to come decorate with me: 2d6+5 11

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Harm 0/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions: None

When Megan catches sight of my smile and starts blushing furiously, I turn back towards the front of the class, chuckling softly. That was one hell of a blush. I can't say if I'm interested in her or not, haven't really thought about it, but it sure looks like she was interested in me, which is always good to know.

And things keep turning up Jessica this morning, as Darcy piles onto Edward as well, and the two of them start going at it. Edward is such a pathetic sleaze, and Darcy alternates between being pretty funny, like he is now, and being obnoxious, so I really couldn't care less if the two of them get in trouble. As long as I keep out of it from here out I shouldn't be able to get caught up in it.

Stifling a snicker at the sounds of their argument I look over at Pippa. "What?" Well, decorating isn't really my thing, but like she said to Donna, it'd be a good place to be. "Yeah, alright then." No solid plans on my part for then, just getting ready for the disco really. I should probably come up with some costume idea. I start to lean towards Pippa to ask her what she's planning on wearing, but see her heading in for Jayson so I hang back to watch.

I'll take that

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Blake Dunsmuir

Hearing the conversation in front of me, all I could think is perfect. The good books of two cute girls, not to mention that I'm pretty sure that Pippa tried to set me up with Elise at some point. Being on the decoration team would be a perfect cover for making sure that this disco becomes the party we all need. Plus I have to get away from talking to Megan right now after that massive fumble I had earlier. Plus, if I got in their good books enough, there's was a chance that either Elise or Pippa would accompany me to the dance. Elise was more likely, considering Pippa massive not-really-secret crush on Jayson. Not to mention that she also plays matchmaker for me whenever we go out, I don't think she knows I know, but I don't mind. I don't really know why she does it, be I'm honestly not really going to complain, any time I hang out with her I get a cute girl sitting beside me. I don't think any of them have really kept my attention past a date or two, but still, it's nice.

"You're looking for people to put up decorations? Not to butt in on your conversation, but I'd be willing to help out. As it is, it looks like I'm not doing much before the dance on Friday. I mean, it sounds that you're short hands, and I'm have an available set." I ask Elise, leaning in front of my desk before Pippa pipes up. Waiting for her to finish, he continues, "And it looks like you have even more support as well. Still, decorating sounds likes it could be a lot of fun."

Looking as Jessica, I started a bit. She didn't seem like the type to decorate, but hey, like Pippa said, good place to be seen. Looking at the two still in the conversation, I asked, "What are you two ladies doing for your costuming? I have most of mine put together, I just wanted to get a little bit more inspiration."

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Donna Wharncliffe
Harm 0/4 | Experience 1+1/5 | Conditions: Frigid

I was never into acting really, it's the other parts of theatre that appeal to me. Costumes, scenery, and stagecraft, but mostly directing. The feeling of making all the little cogs mesh to form a greater whole under the watchful eye of their master...is quite appealing. Standing on stage and making a spectacle of myself? Not so much. The company I was with is still around, but it's the off season - they mostly work during the summer holidays. I might go back this year, unless something better comes up.

Putting up decorations for a party is kiiiind of like setting a stage. The drama tends to be a little more improvised, of course. The players need to feel like they're not taking direction at all. But it can still be fun. If Pippa and Jess are both going to be there I'll go, of course. Seeing is good, being seen I can give or take, but I like to keep my eye on things.

"Sure thing, Pippa. Sounds like a good way to kill an afternoon."

Also eat it, Ed. Could I be any more brutally obvious at you? (yes I could but I'd need to find a new school afterwards)

taking the xp

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Pippa Lambton

"Great! The more the merrier!" Everything's going great for Pippa!

"Augh!" Pippa leans back, groaning in mock frustration at Blake's question. "It's hard to get a good costume together, right Elise? All the girl's costumes in the shops are Sexy Whatevers - you know, Sexy Vampire, Sexy Nurse, Sexy Iron Man - well, Sexy Ironwoman, any road. I wanted the French Maid one, remember that Elise, the one with the cute little headpiece? Looks just like the one they wear in Maid Café Days? I love that comic, wish they'd put out the translations faster. But I know they wouldn't let me in the door in such a short skirt! So now I'm stumped."

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Thom Brody
Harm 0/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions:

Well, this is actually going ... kind of good!

I know it wasn't a hard guess, figuring she'd have a Harry Potter-themed costume, but all the same I'm still glad I'd guessed right. Feeling a little more confident, I pressed on. "I was going to go as Tom Riddle, but if I don't dye my hair I'll really look more like Draco, won't I?" I wasn't as over-the-moon about the series as Megan, but I recalled some things. Like, wasn't Pansy Draco's girlfriend or something? What a coincidence. "I mean, I'd be the worst Slytherin, but I can at least look the part."

My ears were burning a little bit, and I really hoped my hair was covering them. Should I just ask her? That's how this works, right? But should I do it now? After Blake asked her? Will that look bad or not? This whole 'talking to girls' thing was a lot more complicated than it should be.

I s'pose there's no harm in it except to my pride, but I'll need to approach it with tact. "A-are you going with anyone? I mean, someone has to have already asked you, right?"

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Megan Brooks

Oh neat, Thom likes Harry Potter! Or at the least he's read them. Sitting up in my chair and listening to his costume ideas, I'm noticeably more interested and seemingly less tired than I was seconds ago. It's hard to resist the temptation to chime in to suggest he pick Draco - it's cooler than going as Voldemort - but I barely manage.

It's hard sometimes - when I get excited or nervous about stuff, I tend to ramble on without letting other people get a word in edge-wise. Mum says dad was the same way - we just get fixated on certain things. It's not all that useful of a personality trait, in case you were wondering. Like the time I was in trouble with mum (I hadn't done the dishes like I'd said I would) and I managed to blurt out that she shouldn't be mad about that, because she should be way more mad about the I'd ruined the cardigan nan had gotten for me. As it turns out, that wasn't the right thing to say. I just like sharing things I know with other people, and sometimes I'm too smug about it. Learning how to keep my mouth shut has been an ongoing effort.

Then Thom asks if I'm going with anyone, assuming that someone's asked me already. That's uh... he is talking about me, right? Of course no one's asked. But then again he thinks I look nice, or at least he said he does... maybe, maybe he's going to ask me? Oh my god, how am I supposed to be acting right now? After a split second of pure panic, I settle on forced-casual and do my best to look as stunningly nonchalant as possible.

"Uhhh... no, no one's asked me so far. Who are you going with?"

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Blake Dunsmuir

"Honestly, the best way is to avoid the stuff that the costume stores sell. It's cheap as hell unless you're spending a couple hundred pounds, and at that point you might as well commission or rent something from a prop store." I started replying to Pippa, before Megan started to speak beside me. I paused in incredulity as I caught Megan's response. I know I asked her to forget about it, but jesus that's cold. I just asked her and she completely brushed me by the wayside. Stunned, I shook my head before opening my mouth.

"Wow Megan, I thought you were nice, you loving bitch. gently caress me, I thought we were friends" the words left my mouth before I thought about any ramifications that they might have. Perhaps it was a little too loud, I realized, shutting up before I could say anything else too damning. Still, it took a lot of effort, that was frigid.

Shutting Megan Down (cold): 2d6-1 6
Well, I'll take the experience I guess

Edit: Pounds not Dollars

berenzen fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 12, 2015

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

No idea what Maid Café Days is, but the french maid outfit is a classic. "Black tights would go with that wouldn't it Pippa? That might let you get away with the skirt." Hmm. "Blake has a point though." Actually, the costume talk is bringing my own lack of one up in my mind. So far my best idea has been to go as a vampire queen, but that feels a little too on the nose. "Actually, would you want to go looking for something tonight? I've come up short on i...de.as..." I trail off as I hear Blake's comment, turning around to look between him and Megan. Two fights in one morning, why didn't I bring popcorn? What'd she do though?

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Megan Brooks

Blake might as well have slapped me. He sounded so vicious; so angry - and the look on his face is even worse. Stunned and confused, I'm too taken aback by his outburst to formulate a proper response. All that comes out is a feeble "Huh? We are... What'd I do?!" It takes an extra second or two before I get mad - I didn't do anything to him, why'd he call me that - so I mutter "and don't call me a bitch, that's lovely."

Oh god people are looking at us to see what's going on. I wish I knew myself. First I see him in a creepy vision, and next he starts freaking out at me!

Shut down Blake: 2d6+1 4
Clarifying: Megan was too distracted by Jessica then vision to have caught his botched flirting attempt at all, just in case I've done a bad job of describing that.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 13, 2015

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Thom Brody
Harm 0/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions:

I turn to shoot Blake a glare, almost as stunned as I am angry. He called her a b-... that because she wouldn't go with him? There's being sore and there's being an rear end, and the latter is saying horrible things to someone. In front of people. And now I can't ask her to the dance here... I'm angry, and I can't stop myself from speaking up to defend her.

"Can't imagine why she wouldn't want to be friends with you, Blake," I say, trying to steady my voice. "L-look how charming you are, insulting her in front of the whole class like that."

Shut down Blake: 2d6-1 6
Good rolls this game.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Donna Wharncliffe
Harm 0/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions: Frigid

Bah, now Megan the thief and the troubling Mr. Dunsmuir are having some kind of ridiculous argument. How anyone is supposed to get anything done under these kind of circumstances is a mystery. I'd much rather be discussing how to dress Pippa and Jess than I would be caught in the periphery of a squabble between these two. I do rather like the idea of Pippa dressing up as a saucy maid. Um.

Rather than try and yell over the rest of the class I just put my head down on my arms for a moment. If I'm going along, I need a costume. Something to impress and inspire, something to help display my chosen jewellery to best effect. With a bit of needlework I should be able to re-purpose something to suit, but what. I start daydreaming about the disco, lights and song and little people moving around with no idea about the strings they are dancing on...

Gaze Into The Abyss: 2d6+2 13

Curing Frigid, the visions are lucid and detailed

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Blake Dunsmuir

"Really? You're going to play it coy for something that happened what, 3 minutes ago?" Blake's features tensed as he tried not to raise his voice, or at least not any louder than he already was, "Look, I get it. You don't want to go with me to the dance, that's fine. But saying that nobody asked you out yet, passing me off like I'm nothing. Then you claim that that you did nothing? That's loving cold."

Trying to Shut down Megan... again (Cold): 2d6-1 8
I give Megan the condition Frigid Bitch, Rauri gives one to me

Turning to Thom, who stepped up to defend her, I sneer, "Really, I'm surprised that you're making that claim, considering that I'm pretty sure that you're getting close to her just so you can get in her pants."

Shutting Thom Down (Cold): 2d6-1 10
Giving Thom the condition: Nice Guy

[edit]: Added in a missing word for better syntax

berenzen fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 13, 2015

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Thom Brody
Harm 0/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions: Nice Guy

I felt myself growing red in the face. Oh, man -- is that what this looked like? Please tell me that's not what this looked like.

I duck my head, trying to hide my mortified expression under my hair for whatever good it does, and mumble something defensive, like "Ugh, stop projecting," under my breath so probably no one can hear. I seriously hope Megan can tell Blake's just being horrid, and I watch her expression for something reassuring. I don't think anything else I can do or say will help my case here at all.

Since when did standing up for a friend make you the bad guy? I wonder, trying to disappear into my chair.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Pippa: Jayson looks daunted by the thought of having to actually talk to you. but he rallies and then says "Err, yeah I guess I could come along after footie practice." He goes on "I'd be happy to help you all out if you don't mind me being a bit late.." Elise leans over and with a brief glance at you says that should be fine

Jessica: Wow, the only thing that could be better about all of this is if they were fighting over you right? Still as entertaining as the three-way slap fight is between Megan and her two admirers it's nothing compared the comedy that's the pushing and shoving between Eddie and Darcy. Neither of them are exactly what you'd call great fighters. but before they can resort to violence your fun is spoiled by the ringing of the bell. "I'll be waiting for you after school Park." which would be a pretty good threat you know if it was uttered by anyone but Edward. Still perhaps you'll get the chance to watch round two later.

Blake: Well that went well. No seriously I'm not being sarcastic. How dare Megan treat your simple proposal like that and then pretend to play coy about it. Still you showed her and her little lap dog Thom and put them in their place. You even for a moment feel the approval of Veraxes, maybe just maybe you're working yourself back into his good graces after all despite the whole train debacle.

Donna: You dream of the old fairy tale it's the classic story of your youth. Noble dragon fights the villainous knight while a beautiful princess cheers it on. For once though your attention is not focused on the mighty dragon fighting bravely to defend what belongs to it or even the cowardly knight in his rusty armour trying to steal the dragon's hard won gains. No this time you find your attention caught by the beautiful princess. Regal, imperious lady of all that she surveys and clad in an elegant gown tastefully festooned with the choicest gleanings of a dragon's horde. The scene shifts and now its you clad in that gown walking sedately into the school hall as all eyes turn to watch you move. There's something wrong though alarm bells start ringing but everyone is still mesmerised by you. You come back to earth with a bump, back in the same old classroom as the bell rings.

Megan: Gawd you had a lucky escape there. If Blake blows up like that over nothing what would he be like if it was something you'd actually done. Still perhaps it would've been better if you hadn't publicly insulted him front of the whole class. Now it kinda looks like you're in the wrong and everyone'll blame you for the argument when you don't even know what set him off in the first place. Life sucks at times doesn't it. Still at least you gave as good as you got.

Blake gets a string on you. But you can still give him a condition.

Thom: How dare he say that! even if it is true.. All you were trying to do was stand up for someone who was being bullied. You'd do the same for anyone right? Just because Blake has ulterior motives for everything he does, doesn't mean you do right. You really shouldn't let him get to you.

Roll a hold steady against Blake's provocation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sound of the bell ringing interrupts everyone's arguments and dreams and you file out of class to head off to your first lesson of the day Maths under the redoubtable Miss Price. You file into her classroom she looks grim and dour as usual. School legend has it that she did crack a smile once but the shock of it caused three of her students to have heart attacks so she has sworn never to do so again. As you all take your seats she glares at you over the top of her horn rimmed glasses and says imperiously "I hope you've all completed your homework." she goes on smugly"otherwise today's lesson will prove a tad difficult for you." A few faces in the class pale and you can tell she draws some sort of sick satisfaction from their misery. Still your lesson is only for an hour today you can all survive her that long right?

Pippa: Crap! you knew there was something you had forgotten with how busy you've been lately. What excuse are you going use for why your homework wasn't done? and what monster was it that you were hunting that distracted you from doing it in the first place?

Jessica: You're not really that good at maths are you? Still one of your fellow students was more than willing to help you out with your homework and give you a little private tuition who was it? and did you take advantage of your time alone together with them to have a little snack?

Blake: Maths is normally not much of a problem for you right? Still you had a little trouble with some of these answers. Luckily Veraxes was willing to offer you the answers if you just asked. Did you take him up on that offer? or did you find another solution to your problem? If you did accept his help what small task did he demand in exchange?

Donna On your way to class you run into Jordan. He glances around nervously and gives you a furtive look. "Donna I need your help. I have something that's right up your alley I need advice on." He looks around again with a panicked look on his face "Not now, too many people are watching can you meet me at lunchtime? and we'll talk about it then." Are you going to meet him then? And anyway what did happen the last time you had to bail him out of trouble?

Thom: That really could have gone better. Still maybe if you catch Megan alone at lunch you'll have more of a chance away from the poisonous influence of Blake. What was the last time you had competition from someone else for something you wanted? and how did you handle the pressure then?

Megan: You hand over your homework grimly. Your thoughts mainly on what you'd like to do to Blake if you ever got the chance. Still look on the bright side. At least Thom seems to like you even if he has an awkward way of showing it and there's still that intriguing look from Jessica to think about. What are you going to do about the three of them? Have you ever seen anyone in the middle of a three way tug of war like this before?

this is a new scene btw.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 13, 2015

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Blake Dunsmuir

Yeah, I was an rear end in a top hat. I'll admit that, but as soon as I finished my tirade I felt a bit of pressure relieved. A bit of approval from Veraxes I guess. I'll take anything to get out of the red after the train. When the bell rings, I grab my bag and quickly leave the class. When I got out of the class, I set my bag on a nearby wall, wiping my face in my hands, trying to wash the fatigue away. I couldn't really tell how much self-control I had from the lack of sleep. Either way, I didn't just torch that bridge, I dropped a thermonuclear device on it, Letting out a long suffering sigh, I picked my bag up, downed the rest of my coffee and headed to Maths.

I typically enjoyed Maths, though that last bit of homework was actually tricky. I ended up consulting Veraxes on a couple of them. The cost was fairly negligible as well. Yeah, I know I could have used something like Wolfram-Alpha, but whatever, the job was pretty easy. All I needed to do was vandalize a local bakery. Not terribly either, I just needed to throw a cinderblock through the window last night- probably wasn't contributing to the lack of sleep. Still, I think I saw some mice and rats climbing into the window, going after the free food. The trickiest part was making sure that I got away before the bobbies came by. Still, it got me the answers, and the requisite knowledge to complete it in the future 'for doing a good job' is what Veraxes said.

Trying to studiously ignore all the stares he was getting from that fight last period, he grabbed his notebook and started to take notes from the lesson. After all, how else are you going to learn Math, aside from practising and doing party favours for infernal beings?

berenzen fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 13, 2015

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Donna Wharncliffe
Harm 0/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions:

Princess, huh? Well, why not? I can certainly put the costume together easily. I don't have time to start sketching ideas before the class breaks up and I'm on my way to the next one. When Jordan gets in the way I'm tempted to give him the cold shoulder and say I'm busy, but something about his panicked expression holds my interest.

"Alright, Jones. Meet me by the bike shed, should be quiet enough there. This better be important, though."

With that the crowd drags me off to Maths. I have time to think about the last mess he landed me in on the way, and hopefully this time it will involve less late nights on my part. He was involved in scriptwriting, making some changes to an old play to update it for kids. Problem was he was also involved with a couple of girls in the company, both of whom had boyfriends, and they both wanted changes to the role they had to give them more lines. Rather than just let him sort out his own mess I stepped in to try and keep the production together, and ended up having to drive one of the would-be actresses away with a sustained campaign of spreading rumors and general low-grade cruelty. Of course, then someone had to take over the role, no-one else was familiar with it, and I ended up having to take over. An unplanned stage debut that it looked like I had conspired to steal from someone else. Quite a bit of bad feeling all round, but Jordan owes me and knows it. He wouldn't come back for anything small.

I of course have my homework done, and I'm far enough ahead in this class in general that I can breeze through. I respect Miss Price - her only interest is in manipulating numbers and teaching others how to do the same. No messy emotional attachment to her students.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Thom Brody
Harm 0/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions: Nice Guy

I let out a low breath just before the bell rung. Blake isn't worth it, I told myself, and apparently actually believed. Let it go.

Hold Steady: 2d6-1 7
Thom keeps his cool. Barely.

The knot in my stomach eases during the walk to maths. I don't think anyone was really paying much mind to what Blake said, and I'm mature enough to put his crappiness behind me, so long as he's not going to keep being awful to Megan. He's an rear end, so if I just let him make himself look like an rear end next time, maybe so much the better. And if he was being rude to Megan, why would she believe him? Besides, he was completely wrong about me. I keep repeating this stuff in my head, reassuring myself that I wasn't the dunce of the year. It mostly worked.

(Also I checked tumblr on my phone and someone reblogged a ridiculous cat. So, y'know. Mood lifted.)

I give Miss Price a forced-cheery g'morning as I pass in my homework and shuffle to my seat. Maths has always been my worst subject, and that was when I had ample time to study. These days it's a fight to keep up with all my classes, and I've a bad tendency of letting the ones I don't like fall behind. I feel pretty confident I've got a grasp on today's assignment, at least, and my mind wanders as I take inattentive notes about formulae I'll probably memorize eventually or something.

In a way, I'm actually a little bit proud of myself. I've never been good at talking to girls -- well, except Pippa, but that's sort of different -- or standing up to people. And now it's still morning and I've done both, so even if it turned out not-exactly perfect, it's a step in the right direction. It's not that I'm a doormat. I'm a peacemaker. If I ever found something I wanted badly enough, I'd stand up for myself, obviously; other people are basically the same, right? Like, if I want something, and someone else wants the thing I want, and they want it badly enough that I'm aware of it -- they probably want it more than I do, right? Right. Like that time in choir last year, when I'd wanted that solo part a bit, but literally everyone knew that that arrogant show-off Miles Whidby's name was written all over it. I would've felt horrible even trying to take that from him, right?

Right.

I'm stirred from my thoughts by the sharp snap of my pencil lead breaking as I scratched at a particularly frustrating problem. Stupid maths.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Megan Brooks
Harm 0/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions: Frigid Bitch

For once, I'm glad for Math class. Miss Price's tedious lessons and worksheets should keep everyone too busy to tell me how uncool what I did to Blake was. Ever since our fight, I've not talked to anyone - slipped out of class last, and carefully hustled along the corridors without meeting anyone's gaze. My morning's been poo poo enough without someone else piling on. Having handed my homework in and sat down, it's time for me to concentrate on the lesson fixate on the fight earlier and figure out what I'm going to do about my various suitors and this stupid dance.

Blake asked first, I guess. If I'd have heard him, I'd have said yes (it's not as if I thought anyone else was going to ask me) and yet now he hates me anyways. Why didn't he just talk to me later? And Christ, I know people don't pick on him that much, but he knows they do me and he just threw a ton of petrol on that fire. Thanks a lot. I'd shoot him a dirty look, but I'm honestly scared that he'll freak out at me again.

(Blake gets the condition Bully.)

Jessica was "next" I guess, but she was probably just messing with me. Even if she does like girls, I don't think she'd be interested in me. Certainly isn't going to ask me to the disco at any rate. Even having dismissed her though, it's hard to get that look she gave me out of my head. I have a token of hers... maybe I could try out my scrying hex on her later? See if I can't find out what's going on? And then there's Thom. Even if everyone thinks it's lovely, I'm still going with him. He stuck up for me, and asked me to go - though I guess he also had heard Blake ask me earlier - and he's even wearing something Harry Potter themed. And since Blake pretty much hates me now, that makes Thom my only friend. If I told him I don't want to go anymore, I'll be out of friends completely!

This is all that stupid vision's fault. If it hadn't been for it, I'd have heard Blake and none of this would've happened. Frowning, I flip to the next page in my notebook to draw a circle with practiced ease, then and add a few minor details to it. Three intersections, the symbols for sun moon and stars, and a focusing point in the center later, and the diagram's done. Staring at the magic circle, I concentrate on what I remember of the vision, trying to slip back into it...

Gaze into the Abyss: 2d6+2 13
Choosing: The visions are lucid and detailed and The visions show you what you must do, and you carry 1 forward to doing it.

EDIT: Marking XP for Dark.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 15, 2015

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Pippa Lambton
Cold: -1 Volatile: 1 Dark: -1
Harm: 0/4| Experience 2/5| Conditions:

Ferrosol posted:

Pippa: Jayson looks daunted by the thought of having to actually talk to you.
I wonder if I should be worried, but now my friends are fighting so that's absorbing my attention. I'm not sure what to do about it, honestly - everyone looks bad and I can't figure out who to side with. But at least my good friend has a date with the girl he likes. :unsmith:

quote:

Pippa: Crap! you knew there was something you had forgotten with how busy you've been lately. What excuse are you going use for why your homework wasn't done? and what monster was it that you were hunting that distracted you from doing it in the first place?

Crap indeed! "I'm so sorry Miss Price, I -" I look at the floor, trying to think of an excuse and failing. "I didn't do it. Again. I - I'm sorry. I can work on it during the lecture, I'll stay for lunch if I have to, just please please let me hand it in, I'm begging you, please."

Manipulating the NPC Miss Price: 2d6+2 9
Partial success, also marking Hot experience.

Well, it wasn't only the monster that distracted me - Dylan needed help with his history homework, and I saw a film with the gang, and of course I'm always in the Starbucks bothering Thom. But I was planning to do the maths homework that Sunday night, and I could've if I hadn't heard that scuffling noise past my window. I figured it was some sort of animal - a normal animal - but it never hurts to check, right? Especially not when you've got a handful of medals and a magic knife.

I followed it to the Don banks. It went down to the water and kneeled down and just started making this loud snuffling noise. Maybe it was crying? I thought maybe I could help it, figure out what was wrong. I went up to it and told it it was okay, that I wasn't going to hurt it. But it just turned around and kind of - I dunno, unfolded itself - and then it was staring me down with those huge orange eyes from two meters up and I couldn't help it, I panicked and I started stabbing it, just over and over again, I didn't stop till it fell over and stopped moving.

I'll never forget how it screamed.

I pushed it into the river when I was done. Maybe someone downstream will find it but I hope not. I hope it floats into the Ouse and out to the sea. I hope it sinks to the bottom and stays there, that nobody will ever see it again.

I went straight home and cleaned myself off. I was all red and raw where the blood got on my skin, and the clothes were so ruined I had to chuck them. I couldn't think of anything after that except Just go to sleep. Everything looks better in the morning. And you know what? It did. Up to now, it all felt like some horrible nightmare, something you can just leave behind when you wake up. But now that I'm actually thinking about it, all the panic and the fear I felt when it looked into my eyes is just flooding back.

But I'm in class now. I can't just up and start crying or yelling. Not in front of everyone. Not in front of her.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 15, 2015

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Blake: After your busy night and those nightmares from Veraxes it's no wonder you were tired but the coffee you were drinking earlier is starting to wear off. Which of your fellow students do you chat with to try and keep yourself awake and what interest are you surprised to find you both have in common?

Pippa: Miss Price is less than pleased with your failure to complete your assigned homework. Still it would take someone with a heart of stone to not be moved by your plea. Unfortunately for you Miss Price not only has a heart of stone but also a stomach of stone and a left kidney of stone. She scowls over the top of her glasses at you and says "If you cannot complete your work outside of the class despite the majority of your peers managing it Miss Lambton you may complete it this evening in detention." drat she really does have it in for you. None of the other students who failed to turn in their work have got detention why is she picking on you it's so not fair. So what after-school plans are you going to have to re-arrange now that you are going to be spending at least an hour in detention till you complete your homework?

She'll let your homework count towards your final grade providing you take your detention like a good little student

Donna: I should've known you at least would be on top of your homework. Still you have a much more difficult maths problem to work on right now. Where are you going to find the +1 to add to your equation to take you to the disco. Is there someone you have in mind yet who'd make a charming prince to your princess? or are you just going to play it by ear?

Megan: you blink and before you know it you're back on the train again. You watch as Blake reaches out his hands for forgiveness as they turn raw and bloody. Then the vision clears and you are back in the classroom. But this is not the Maths classroom you left, no. You watch disembodied as a hopeful Blake works up the courage to speak to you and you watch as a horrified look creeps over your face. Blake's face drops in almost cartoonish disappointment and he sits head in his hands. Watching, seething while you respond favourably to Thom's questions. The vision swims around you. as he turns and insults you. poo poo from his point of view you were disgusted by his proposal and leapt at the first offer you got from someone else to get away from him. So what are you going to do now? are you going to apologise and explain it was all a misunderstanding? Or do you still think it was a massive overreaction on his part for a moments mistake?

Thom: You're getting increasingly frustrated by the difficult maths problem in front of you. Which of your classmates gives you some help with it? And when you try to thank them they wave you off and say it's payback for a time you helped them with their own work. What did you do to help them?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Pippa Lambton
Cold: -1 Volatile: 1 Dark: -1
Harm: 0/4| Experience 3/5| Conditions:

It absolutely isn't fair of her to give me detention! But it's taking all my energy just to hold myself together so I'll not complain this time. "Y-yes, Miss Price. Thank you, Miss Price." I go to my seat and start to work immediately.

I was going to go to the comics shop with Elise, Viv, and Chloe this afternoon - today's when they stock the new manga - and go to the Starbucks to see Thom. I'm going to have to give up at least one of them, probably both if the maths work is hard enough. I know the gang will probably go to the store without me, and I was looking forward to getting the latest issue of Gakuen Host Club with them, but I also want to talk to Thom about his date. I wish I could skip maths altogether, but that would mean getting grounded and then I wouldn't get any time with my friends at all! With this whole curse business on top of everything else, I don't know how much more I can take. I wipe a few tears from my eyes, hoping that nobody else notices.

Later on, during the lecture, I take out one of my saint's medals and hold it under the desk. This medal's a funny one - the saint is a woman with long hair and a sword, and I can't figure out who she's meant to be. She looks familiar, though. Sometimes when I hold her and rub my thumb over her, I get these...feelings. Feelings about what's going to happen, or what I should do. Maybe she can help me today.

Gazing Into The Abyss in Maths: 2d6-1 6
Nope, but at least I mark XP.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Mar 17, 2015

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Megan Brooks
Harm 0/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions: Frigid Bitch

Aww. No wonder Blake's upset. He's out of my league to begin with, and for me to (seemingly) blow him off, then agree to go out with Thom right in front of him? Poor Blake... I'm glad I made that diagram. Magic may not be useful for everything, but at least it's helped me see that I need to patch things up with him.

Flipping to the next page in my notebook, I slyly look about to make sure no one is snooping on me. Can't be too careful. Luckily these math problems are keeping everyone busy, and my paranoia is satisfied when I don't notice any observers. Time to scrawl out a quick note.

An Obsessively Folded Note posted:

Blake,
I was so tired and not paying attention earlier, so sorry for everything this morning. I SWEAR I didn't know you had asked me to the disco :(
I think you're super cool, and our fight was my fault. Super sorry.
Could we maybe be friends again?
-Megan

Timing the note-toss for when Miss Price's vulture eyes are turned away, the message lands on his desk successfully. I give Blake the most tentative of smiles when he turns in response, before looking away with all speed.

Turn On Blake: 2d6-1 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

I wouldn't say I'm particularly mean spirited, but watching the two fights is some pretty hilarious schadenfreude. Though I manage not to laugh, I'm still grinning a bit when I get into Maths next period, the idea of Edward and Darcy going at it after school (wouldn't that be a sight to see) being enough to lighten the dark mood Math usually puts on me.

I used to be good, well, alright anyway, at Math, but that was before I got stuck in Miss Price's class. She's teaching at least a year ahead of the rest of the teachers for this level and goes way faster in class than any of the others do either. Sometimes its tempting to just try and mind blast her into retirement or something, but that'd probably be suspicious. I mean if she hasn't retired yet she's probably going to keep on going until she drops dead, right?

Luckily for me, Tim Cooper was quite happy to give me some private lessons on the subject a couple nights ago. He's actually kind of cute in a shy, nerdy way. I probably would have held off on feeding afterwards if he hadn't kept blushing and showing off that tasty looking blood the whole time. He left thinking he'd gotten a thank you hickey and a warning not to talk about who gave it to him.

• Locked thread