Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Jessica: You here some indistinct muttering from behind you. "--bet you wouldn't dare." "---better have your money ready." "--totally out of your league" One of the students sat behind you leans forward to talk to you "So umm, Jessica, do you have any plans for friday yet? I umm thought maybe we could go together. To uhh the disco I mean." they sit there looking hopeful. Who is it? and this has got be the stupidest attempt you've seen from someone trying to hit on you right? How are you going to deal with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Donna Wharncliffe
Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 2
Harm 0/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions:

Ugh...I suppose I should have a date for the disco. I don't really have anyone in mind though. Basically all the boys in my year are either impenetrably dense or dull as ditch-water. Ed for instance falls into both categories. Some of them are alright looking, I guess, but that's pretty much all they've got. The only one with any spark at all is Blake, but his spark is...I dunno. Off. Strange. He's not the handsome prince type, I guess. Playing it by ear leaves open the ghastly possibility that I might end up with no-one at all, which would be embarrassing. Dating outside my year is a possibility, but the only older boy I would know to ask is Jordan, and he's...a poet. Also in some kind of trouble which will probably make him unreliable company. And of course dating down would be worse than showing up with no-one. Pippa seems to have sorted herself out with Jayson. Dammit, I'm no good at this sort of thing.

Jess, on the other hand, is an absolute master at wrapping boys around her finger, and seems to have no trouble sorting the wheat from the chaff. Some idiot is trying to chat her up at the moment, but as soon as she shoots them down I'll ask her advice. I turn around in my chair to make eye contact and get her attention. I'd offer support to her the way she backed me up against Ed, but I'm pretty sure her would-be swain is less persistent. I settle for miming spewing behind his back to express my opinion.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Thom Brody
Hot 1, Cold -1, Volatile -1, Dark 2
Harm 0/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions: Nice Guy

As I'm sweeping the pencil shavings off my desk, I hear a soft voice from behind with an offer of help. "Here, you can look over mine if you want." It's Avery Bell; he's a good guy, but I tend to forget he sits beside me because he's so quiet. I voice my gratitude, and he goes over the problems with me, explaining the bits I don't understand so that they make more sense. Miss Price even sees fit to ignore it -- I guess she can tell we're working. I think she has more patience with Avery than the rest of us, too, since he's a genius or whatever. It's good to have his help, and I remind myself that I should talk to him more often. He has interesting things to say, if you don't set him off on one of his 'oppressed atheist' tirades -- we'd be mates, probably, if he could shut up about the subject.

When I offer to repay him for his help, he just waves me off, saying it was 'his turn'. I'd helped him in English Lit a few times, I guess, though it hadn't seemed like much to me at the time. He claims to have no imagination, and he doesn't really get why we have to read all this old stuff, which is really short-sighted for how smart he is. So I let him read my notes and stuff, and explain things like character motivation and metaphor that he's more than capable of picking up if he didn't think it was 'beneath him' or whatever. I don't mind helping, since explaining things is a good way to make sure I actually get them, and if it's going to get him to help me limp through maths, that'd be pretty cool.

With most of my work finished with Avery's help, I find my attention wandering. Looks like some poor sod is trying to ask Jessica to the disco. Ouch. Bad idea, bad location, bad execution. I feel a twinge of sympathy and look back down to my work. There's absolutely no way anything good will come of that mess.

I guess dances bring out the meanest part of everyone...

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Blake Dunsmuir
Hot: -1 Cold: -1 Volatile: 1 Dark: 2
Harm: 0/4| Experience 1/5| Conditions: Bully

As Miss Price drones on I can feel myself nodding off. drat it, the coffee's wearing off, gotta keep awake unless I wanted to keep Pippa company in detention. While I think Pippa would be good company, it's not exactly any sort of ideal location. Still, it feels like there are anvils tied to my eyelids as I blink a couple times to keep awake.

"Hey, keep awake" I hear Elise speak, and feel greatful for the save, before he continues, a piece of paper folded beyond any sort of sense lands on my desk. Turning around to see who threw it, I see Megan smile lightly before going back to staring at her desk. Opening the letter hesitantly- this could either go really well or really poorly- I surreptitiously read it before putting it in my pocket. It was a good apology. What caused the quick turn-around though? Pulling out a pen, I write out a response.

A note in response posted:

Apology Accepted, I was a gigantic rear end in a top hat as well. Catch you at lunch?

-B

Folding the note, I toss it back to Megan's desk before turning back to Elise.

"Sorry 'bout that." I stifle a yawn before continuing, "You catch that episode of Causalty on Saturday? It was a depressing episode. I dunno if the show'll be the same without Jeff. I mean, I'm sure it'll still be good, but drat, it's an end of an era."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Jessica Mallory, The Vampire
Hot 2 | Cold 1 | Volatile -1 | Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 3/5 | Conditions: None

I don't turn around for a moment after hearing the invitation. Its tempting to just pretend like I didn't hear it, but ignoring that this is probably the worst attempt in setting, timing and general lack of.... finesse, I will give whoever this is credit for having some massive balls to ask me out in front of the class, especially in front of Miss Price. I resolve not to destroy them as I turn around.

Oh. It was 'Demons' Richard. Maybe I will destroy him after all. Before I can however, I catch Donna's eye, seeing her pretending to barf behind his back, and crack a grin, giving her another wink. I put on a sweet smile as I look at Richard and adopt a gentle tone as I whisper (loud enough for the people around us to hear though) my reply back, "Sorry Richard, but I'll have to pass. I'm sure you'll find someone to go with you though. Maybe a ..demon?"

Shutting down Richard [17:00] godfish !r 2d6+1 [17:00] Krysmbot godfish, 9+1 = 10
I'll take a string on him

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Pippa: Unfortunately the only feeling you get is frustration as the stupid medallion fails to work again. If your ancestors would hand down so much junk you'd think they'd give you stuff that actually worked when it was needed right. Still there's an uneasiness in the air. Everyone can feel it you don't need a medallion for that. It's like you're waiting for the other shoe to drop. There's been weird stuff going on. That train crash recently that no one seems to know the cause of. Richard and his football team full of demons and that weird monster thing that you fought with. It's all adding up to something big going on and you must be feeling the tension far worse right since all this sounds like stuff that should be right up your alley.

Donna I'm sure there'll be somewhere out there who's willing to be your prince charming. Hell you seem to be getting on well with Jessica maybe you can grab one of her cast-offs if worst comes to worst. Probably best to stay away from Richard though. He maybe not that bad looking but do you really want to date crazy. Especially if he finds out you were making fake barfing motions behind his back. Still as you look around you find your gaze crossing Pippa. Wait is that a piece of jewelry in her hand. How interesting.

Jessica Richard slinks back in his chair utterly humiliated as half the people around him snigger. Looks like it'll be a long time before he lives down his demon problems. Still there's a time and a place for that kind of proposal and the middle of a maths lesson is neither. He's not exactly a regular Casanova is he either. Not that most of the guys who seem to be chasing you are right but still even by their low standards this is pretty pathetic isn't it.

Blake: Blake your note lands on Megan's desk at least and she unfurls it and reads it. But before she can react....

Megan Megan you barely have time to read Blake's return note before Miss Price is looming over you. How did she move so fast anyway. The class goes silent as she leans over and picks up the crumpled note. She grabs it from your desk and crumples it before throwing it in the bin. "Well Miss Brooks if you have time to pass notes, then clearly you have insufficient work to do. Perhaps if I assign you some extra work to do in detention you will understand the importance of Mathematics and paying attention in class." Fun I know and the frustrating part is it wasn't even your note that got you into trouble.

Thom: Thom you and Avery were that busy buried in your workbooks that you didn't even notice the note land on her desk. Let alone who threw it the first place. Still it must be hard not to wince in sympathy for a friend. Miss Price must be in a really snotty mood for some reason she doesn't normally hand out detentions this often even if she is a bit of a hardass in class.

Fortunately for all of you the bell blares and you escape for another week with nothing worse than another stack of homework to be completed in time for next weeks lesson. Megan and Pippa it must hurt for you though that Miss Price decided to pick on the two of you to make an example of when the rest of the class got away unscathed. Still it'd probably be more than your life's worth to make a complaint.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone You all head off to your various optional subjects. Which one did you pick? and what about today's lesson was particularly interesting? or particularly dull for that matter?

After that It's lunchtime. The most important meal of the day. Even if the school cafeteria is painted in that horrible institutional beige and the food probably has less nutritional value than the plastic plates it's served on. At least it's an hours break in which to get something to eat ,pump yourself up full of caffeine and actually spend time chatting to your friends before going back to the grind.

Megan: Well you've got two cute guys who both want to sit down and have lunch with you. Blake and Thom. Which one are you going to sit with? or are you crazy enough to try and play peacekeeper between the two?

Blake/Thom: If you're sat with Megan what do you say to her or each other at her prompting ? If she rejects either of you who do you go and sit down with and what do they say to you that ends up surprising you?

Jessica: Umm are you planning on getting some food. Or would you rather take the opportunity to get a drink if you know what I mean? How do you feel about feeding in school anyway do the crowds deter you or do the risks of getting caught make it more fun?

Donna: Your still going to go talk to Jordan right about whatever mysterious trouble he's gotten into this time. On the other hand you must be kind of hungry by now. What kind of food do dragons even eat anyway? and which "problem" are you going to solve first?

Pippa: So Pippa you pick up some food and then Elise waves you over to a crowded table with only one seat. Elise leans over to you and says "I can't believe the way Miss Price treats you. It's like she totally has it in for you and only you. Want me to pick up a copy of your comic for you or are you going to get it yourself?." How well do you get on with most of Elise's friends anyway? and which one of them seems to have taken a dislike to you?

Edit: This is a new scene

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 19, 2015

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Megan Brooks
Hot: -1 Cold: 1 Volatile: -1 Dark: 2
Harm 0/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions: Frigid Bitch

Oh come on, I'd even finished most of my work! I'm studying the inner workings of actual curses in my spare time, I'm better with Alchemy than Sir Isaac Newton managed to be, according to my dad's notes... like math matters compared to magic. It was funny when it happened to Pippa, but me getting detention for one little note is unfair. Especially since it wasn't even mine! Can I just fling notes onto people's desks to get them in trouble in her class? That's insane! Plus that note was a token, and she binned it. Blake even put his initial on it, absolutely surefire sympathetic link there. Not that I'd hex Blake. So long as he doesn't freak out at me ever again. It just never hurts to have them, my dad's notes are insistent on it.

Slouching my way through the lunch-line, barely aware of the few bits of food I'm putting on my tray, I keep my head down and avoid talking to anyone. The real fun begins when I get out of the line, and see both Thom and Blake looking towards me expectantly. That's... disconcerting. Suddenly there's yet more drama in my life. Thom or Blake is a bullshit choice, and I've dealt with enough bullshit already today thanks. If I only sit with one of them, I basically lose a friend. That's so dumb, but it's how boys act when they like you I guess.

Instead of asking one or both of them to join me, I wisely decide to chicken out and take a third option. So instead of saying anything, I walk over in a hurry to sit where I usually do - at the table furthest from the main doors with my back towards the wall. They can come sit with me they won't and you know it if they want, but I can't handle this dumb drama right now.

I've got my crappy food, I've got a chocolate milk, and I've got a Discworld book I'm halfway through with (Men At Arms) with me for company. There are worse ways to spend a lunchtime. But I'll probably spend it watching them over the top of my book.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 20, 2015

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

I turn away from Richard smirking again, and give Donna a curious look. It looks like she wants to talk to me about something, but considering Miss Price just gave out another detention, this probably isn't the time. I lean in towards her so she can hear my quick whisper, "talk to you at lunch, okay?" I wait to get a response, then turn my attention back to the math in front of me.

At lunch, I leave the food line with a small salad and a bit of fruit on my tray and head out into the lunchroom proper. The food doesn't do anything for me, but it'd be suspicious if I didn't eat anything. As it is I expect most people think I'm on some stupid diet to keep my figure or something. I could do with a real bite to eat, but I try to avoid making GBS threads where I sleep, if you know what I mean. Especially with a monster hunter named Pippa around. I'll go for a bite if I'm hungry enough though, but luckily my meal of Tim last night is still keeping me full.

The bit with Richard earlier has got me thinking though, maybe I should start looking for someone suitable to take to the disco myself, instead of waiting for someone to come to me. Hmm... After scanning the room briefly, my eyes settle on Thom, and a slightly wicked grin spreads across my lips. It looked like there was a bit of a love triangle going on between him, Blake and Megan this morning, and from Megan's blush it might have been more of a love square... I can't resist the idea of making this all a bit more complicated, so I move to head off Thom before he can get to, I assume, Megan.

"Thom! Can I have a quick word?" I gesture off towards the side of the lunchroom, away from the nearest potentially listening ears. "I know you asked Megan this morning, but like Blake said, she probably thinks you just want to get in her pants now. Obviously, I know you better than that from our nighttime trips with Pippa, but this probably isn't the time for you to try asking her again. I don't know if you noticed, but she and Blake were passing notes in class, she probably agreed to go with him after all."

I lean in closer to him, smiling sweetly and 'unintentionally' giving him a bit of a glimpse down my shirt as I continue, "The thing is, if you went with someone else, someone really popular, you'd make her jealous enough to jump for it the next time you ask her out on a date." Well that was about as subtle as a hammer but I think I've baited it pretty heavily, I know he's got a huge crush on Megan, so lets see if the fish bites anyway.

Turn Thom on
[01:20] godfish !r 2d6+1 [01:20] Krysmbot godfish, 7+1 = 8
Tagging Nice Guy to make that a 9, which makes no difference at all :v:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Thom Brody

I stare up at the ceiling in frustrated disbelief. Great, now both my friends had detention (Megan's a friend, right?). Miss Price is such a b-... really mean person sometimes; I wonder what set her off today? I feel for Pippa, but her detention seemed kind of warranted; I know she gets up to Really Important Stuff at night, but that's just how the world works sometimes. Unfair, but understandable. But what did Megan do? Who was she even passing notes with?

Guess it's not my business, really, I finally settle on, though I can't help shooting Blake an unhappy look as we all shuffle off to queue for lunch. Since I'm so preoccupied, I wind up near the rear, so even if there had been anything good to begin with I'm left with some wilted bits of salad, a squashed bread roll, and lukewarm juice. I scan the tables for Megan, who's easy to find in her usual spot by the wall. Not with Blake yet -- crisis averted, maybe? -- but she looks so exasperated it gives me pause, and while I'm chewing on her look and the inside of my lip, Jessica asks for my attention. I give her a nod and follow her off to the side, clueless.

Jessica quickly confirms my two current worst fears -- is that why she was sitting alone? Ugh. I try to force myself to focus on my disappointment, but there's something else I can't help wondering -- does Jessica know that when she stands like that I can kind of see down her shirt? Not that I was looking; she isn't my type; this is about Megan, okay. My ears probably match the sad tomatoes in my salad. I ignore them and try to focus on her point, which ... actually doesn't sound too off-base. If she was passing notes with Blake in class, she's probably forgiven him. And if she's that quick to forgive someone who'd outright call her a b-... stuff in class, in front of everyone, well that's just bloody mental, to be honest.

"Erm." It takes a second to find my voice. It's not usually too hard to talk to Jessica, but that's when Pippa's around, and she's never -- flirted with me, if that's what this is. "Do you really think she's the jealous type? I don't want to hurt her," I say flatly. "A-and, erm, I don't even know who I'd ask that wouldn't just laugh in my face. I probably wasn't going to go if someone asked Megan, so..."

Jessica can take a string on dumb idiot Thom.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Donna Wharncliffe
Harm 0/4 | Experience 2+1/5 | Conditions:

Haha, I'm not getting fooled by that again. That's clearly some kind of religious icon, not a proper trinket. I mean, yes, it looks old and the silver looks good and solid and the way Pippa is handling it shows she values it and because it is valued I want it but I can't just go around taking things from my things. Friends. Although if I asked nicely maybe she would let me look at it...trade it for help in maths maybe...or I could just-

The bell rings. Whew, that was getting a little intense. Eyes back in your head, Donna. We can solve the case of the thing I want later, it's lunchtime.

What do I eat? Uh, food? I like fish and chips, steak, chocolate, ice-cream, that sort of thing. The whole 'eating a whole herd of cattle' thing is not going to be a problem for me for ages, and the steady diet of princesses is purely allegorical. I think. I mean, Grandad certainly eats people but only on super rare occasions, and only people no-one's going to miss. I haven't felt like eating anyone yet, and I might not - as far as I can tell it's very much an acquired taste. I tried eating a piece of gold once but all I did was chip a tooth, which got crowned with enamel. I don't know if it affected my other body, it has like a billion teeth and there are no dentists that work on jobs that size. Today it looks like I get a soggy ham and salad roll with slightly stale cheese and crackers and a small orange juice. Not exactly a feast of royal blood or whatever, but I cram down as much as I can be bothered with before moving on.

I have to meet Jordan and Jess. Jess is here now but she's talking to Thom...stuff it. I haven't got all day. I walk over to the pair of them. Thom's blushing and Jess is grinning so I figure she's having some fun at his expense. I doubt she'll mind if I cut in.

"Hey, Jess. Need to talk to you for a sec. Thom, could you go and be a sweetie somewhere else for a moment?"

I put one hand flat on his chest to push him away...his actually surprisingly warm and firm chest. Um. He really is uncommonly pretty. Kinda hoping he doesn't just go away here.

Turn on Thom (Nice Guy): 2d6 6

Spending a string to bump that up to 7, marking XP for rolling hot.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Blake Dunsmuir
Harm: 0/4| Experience 1/5| Conditions: Bully

Ah, gently caress. I got Megan in trouble. I'm about to open my mouth, tell her that I was the one who passed it, then the bell rang. Getting up, I mouth 'sorry' to Megan before leaving for music. Maybe later in the day I'll see if I can talk Miss Price out of it. Music itself wasn't really all that interesting, the band prof managed to get ahold of the sheet music from the divergent series, so we've been playing that a fair bit recently and that's been fun. Otherwise, it's band so it's not the most exciting class in the world.

When the lunch bell rang, I started to get a couple butterflies. I mean, I was owning up to being an rear end in a top hat here and that was going to be hard. Grabbing some 'food' from the cafeteria, I turn around, looking for Megan- there, at the far wall. Walking towards her, I notice Jess pull Thom off to the side, giving her a nod before continuing my trek towards Megan's table. By the time I actually get there, Megan's nose deep in a book. Taking a deep breath in, I try to compose a thought that wouldn't be completely assholish, and would manage to successfully set first stone to rebuilding this bridge.

"Men-at-arms. Good choice," I say as I finally managed to say something, "I'm a bigger fan of Going Postal myself but really, pretty well all of Pratchett's works are amazing."

Taking a deep breath, I continue, "Look, I wanted to say that I'm sorry about this morning. I was a gigantic rear end in a top hat and I'll own up to it. I've been getting really poor sleep recently and it's been making me irritable, and kinda bitchy. I'm not gonna ask you to the dance or anything, I don't think that's exactly all that appropriate after what I did this morning. I'm just putting forward a peace offering, and maybe we can start rebuilding the bridge that I kinda-sorta napalmed. I get it if you want to cool off- particularly after I got you in trouble in Maths- and you want to take it slow. But I think you're rad, and I'd like to keep you friendship"

Taking a look around, I notice Thom is still getting his time taken up by Jess. Good, I didn't need him trying to gently caress everything up here. Was he getting a bit bothered? I chuckle a bit before pointing him out to Megan, "I think the lioness is making her play there, Thom is going to start living in interesting times. Everyone is going to wonder what she sees in him, and every jock in the school is going to try and emulate him."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

I have a hard time not letting out an audible sigh. Man, Thom really does have his head stuck up planet Megan. Whoops Donnas coming over, gotta finish this quick. I fake a little laugh, and give my head a quick shake. "Not like, frothing at the mouth jealous, just enough to make her remember there are other girls out there, and that she can't keep a guy whose interested waiting forever or they'll move on."

"As for getting laughed off... Have some confidence, stick your neck out! Its not like you're Richard or anything, I think at worst you'd get a polite rejection, and you never know, there might be some pretty girl closer than you think who has her eye on you..." I trail off as Donna approaches and pushes him off to the side, her hand lingering on his chest a little longer than might be strictly necessary. "I'll talk to you later then... Thom."

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Thom Brody

Okay, so I'll be honest: Donna makes me incredibly nervous. It's a bit mad, the extent of it, and since she's given me an out I almost jump at the chance to take it, but her hand -- it feels a bit cold on my chest, even through my uniform. And -- well, it's like Jessica just said. You never do know, right? With a crooked smile, I hold my hands up in mock-defeat and step back. Even though I know I'm in over my head, they've both managed to charm me a bit. I entertain the thought that I might've judged Donna unfairly; perhaps I should give her a second chance...

Donna can have a string on Thom. Strings for everyone!

"Don't let me get in your way," I say, scrounging up some confidence from Jessica's encouragement. "I'll talk to you later, Jessica, all right? And thanks." As I'm giving them their distance, I feel a pull of hesitation. I cast a cautious glance over my shoulder, and call back, "Y-you look nice today, Donna." It's meek, but hey -- I said it without dying. I keep walking before she can respond, back into the cafeteria proper to find somewhere to ... I don't know. Eat, I guess.

Blake's chatting up Megan again. As tempting as it is to interrupt him, I'm completely positive that would just make me look as bad as him, if not moreso. She'll be okay. She can take care of herself, and if Blake starts being a tit again, it'll be pretty obvious. I'll just have to ask her what's going on with them after school -- nix that, she's got detention. Tomorrow or something, then. I park myself at a window seat, resolving not to watch them for now. There's enough on my mind after that conversation with Jessica. I need to clear my head. A noisy cafeteria wasn't the best place to try, but I'd have to make the best of it. With my elbows on the table I rested my head in my palms, taking shelter from the harsh florescent lights overhead. Tuning out the conversations buzzing in my ears was harder, but most difficult things are worth doing, aren't they? My thoughts coalesce slowly, solid and distinct from the background chatter. Two questions dominate the others, orbiting like flies.

Was Jessica trying to get me to ask her to the dance? And what does Megan think of me right now, anyway?

Gaze into the Abyss: 2d6+2 7
I'll take "confusing and alarming", please and thanks.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Megan Brooks

Dog-earring the corner of the page I'm on when Blake sits down, I I place the book next to my tray and listen while he apologizes. It's a nice one overall, especially the part when he says he thinks I'm rad. And the part when he brought up having read Discworld... I wonder if he has a copy of Going Postal. I've only got this one since it was in the discount bin.

It looks like I still have at least one of my friends, even if it is the one that blew up at me. My other one, though...

Blake pointed out Thom being interrogated by Jessica and Donna, and I can't help but shoot them both a dirty look. What's Jessica's deal? She was giving me the come-hither eyes earlier, and now she's flirting with the person that asked me out? I mean, I know they're friends... well, looks like I can kiss him being interested in me goodbye. Can't really blame him, either. It was nice when he asked me out, and stood up for me. I think Blake was just being mean about him earlier... he's nice. And maybe, even if he does want in my pants, it's not just that.

Turning back towards Blake, I roll my eyes in irritation at Jessica's antics. "Yeah she was staring at me earlier when I was zoned out, she looked... hungry. Wonder what her problem is? As for, uh... yeah, everything's cool. Just don't call me a bitch again, ok? And you didn't get me in trouble, Miss Price did. That was so unfair, Richard and Jessica get to flirt the whole time but I read one note and suddenly I get detention?"

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Thom: You tune out the noise, the arguments, the stress and for just a moment you are elsewhere, back in the classroom you started the day in. But instead of being filled with students the room is empty apart from a cat and two mice. Something about the way the cat moves it's grace and predatory power remind you of Jessica. You watch helplessly as it plays with first one mouse and then the other cajoling and teasing them luring them towards it and then batting them away, till bored with the game it ceases to be amused and carries off one of the mice by it's tail in it's jaw. The lone mouse left behind squeaks forlornly and miserably for it's lost companion. But the cat is indifferent after all it has had it's fun what does it care for the mice. You shake your head to clear the last of the vision and suddenly feel an arm on your shoulder. Looking up you see its Andy. "I said are you feeling ok? You looked a bit out of it there for a moment. Some sort of problem I can help with?" What do you tell him? and what bit of free advice does he give you?

Anyone else want/need a prompt let me know

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Pippa Lambton
Hot: 2
Cold: -1 Volatile: 1 Dark: -1
Harm: 0/4| Experience 3/5| Conditions:

Ferrosol posted:

Pippa: Unfortunately the only feeling you get is frustration as the stupid medallion fails to work again. If your ancestors would hand down so much junk you'd think they'd give you stuff that actually worked when it was needed right. Still there's an uneasiness in the air. Everyone can feel it you don't need a medallion for that. It's like you're waiting for the other shoe to drop. There's been weird stuff going on. That train crash recently that no one seems to know the cause of. Richard and his football team full of demons and that weird monster thing that you fought with. It's all adding up to something big going on and you must be feeling the tension far worse right since all this sounds like stuff that should be right up your alley.

Argh, that's all I need, isn't it? I don't want to deal with any of this. It's not like I chose to be a monster hunter, it just happened! Why can't I be normal? But I do have to do something, don't I? I don't even know where to start with some of this stuff. Maybe I can ask around about it while I'm busy taking care of everything else.

quote:

Everyone You all head off to your various optional subjects. Which one did you pick? and what about today's lesson was particularly interesting? or particularly dull for that matter?
Home Ec was good today! We made omelets and mine came out great! I filled mine up with tomatoes and spinach and Mrs. Sinclair called it a "Christmas omelet," I couldn't help but laugh about that. She's adorable!

quote:

Pippa: So Pippa you pick up some food and then Elise waves you over to a crowded table with only one seat. Elise leans over to you and says "I can't believe the way Miss Price treats you. It's like she totally has it in for you and only you. Want me to pick up a copy of your comic for you or are you going to get it yourself?." How well do you get on with most of Elise's friends anyway? and which one of them seems to have taken a dislike to you?

See, this is why you take Home Ec, you can make your own food instead of having to bother with a lot of cafeteria muck. I just pick up some coffee and a biscuit before I head over to sit with the gang. "I know, right? Horrid bitch, I don't know what her problem is with me. Wait...you want to get my comic for me? Oh my God, you're the best!" I sweep Elise up in a hug. I'm so happy that she's nice enough to do this for me; it hadn't even occurred to me to ask someone else to buy the comic. "Here, let me get out my wallet, give you the money. Thank you so, so much!"

I take a few minutes to catch up with everybody. Most of Elise's friends are really nice and friendly to me - because of Mister Goodfellow. I know I could never have got this popular on my own, not if I had a hundred years, and that I'll probably lose everyone if I ever break my promise to the old man. That idea makes me sad so I don't like to think about it! Only Eleanor Dandridge doesn't seem to like me. I don't know why Mr. Goodfellow's magic doesn't seem to affect her, but the fact remains that she's never said an actual nice word to me. It's always these backhanded compliments, like "I love how you're not obsessed with being fashionable." I haven't said anything because I don't want to make waves, but I wish I knew what her problem with me was.

After about ten minutes of chatting I go fishing for information. "So, Richards. I keep hearing people calling him 'Demons' but I can't figure out why! What's going on with that, I wonder."

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Donna Wharncliffe
Harm 0/4 | Experience 3/5 | Conditions:

Oh...good, he left. Good. Right, talking to Jess. About...the disco...right.

"Hey, Jess. I need to you do me a favour. I'm kind of flying blind into this whole disco thing, and I haven't gotten around to picking out a date yet. Mostly, I have to say, because 90% of the boys in our year are pretty useless, but also because I don't normally...uh...bother. With dates and things. But...uh...anyway, my point is I'm hoping that you can set me up with someone. Because you are basically amazing at boys in general and getting them to do what you want specifically, and I figure I could help you out with your costume or whatever. In exchange. For sorting out a date for me. Deal?"

Argh, that was so awkward! I can face down a crowd of old people at an estate sale with no trouble, why is even talking about boys with a girl I know so bloody complicated? It's not like I was asking her to the bloody disco! I mean, not that there's anything wrong with that, but the teachers would probably freak out. And I like boys. Definitely.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

My eyes follow Thom as he walks off for a moment, then turn back at Donna and give her a friendly smile as she explains her problem. I could use some help with my costume after all. "Yeah, alright." I glance around the cafeteria, then tip my head towards the door. "Lets get somewhere with less ears." What that, I lead the way out of the lunch room, into one of the quieter halls at this time of day, and lean back against a locker.

"Alright, lets talk." I hesitate for a moment to collect my thoughts, then continue, "basically, there are three kinds of date you could go for for the dance. Social dating, where you try to land the most popular guy you can to boost your standing and show off, or, you ask out whoever you like and ignore social problems, just do it for yourself and hope you can start a relationship, or, you ask out a hot guy and just have some fun. That last one also usually helps with looking good socially too if you can bag a stud." I give her a bit of a wicked grin here, "Dating a year up never hurts either. Now, I should be able to help you with any of those, I think. Do you have anyone in mind for one of those three, or better yet, all of them?"

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Thom Brody

I jolt upright with a start, almost reflexively swatting at Andy but I restrain myself at the last second. What was that? If I fell asleep, it was the weirdest dream I've had in a long while. I'm looking around for Jessica again before I can even think of what to do about Andy; she's still over there chatting with Donna, so I must've only been out for a moment. I couldn't help placing her in my dream-vision-thing, but I try not to think too deeply about it. She's a friend -- I think. Well, she's Pippa's friend, anyway, and that's solid enough for me.

Mumbling an apology, I sit up, hair falling in pale-gold ringlets as I tilt my head to look up at Andy. I reassure him I'm all right, just things haven't gone much better after the thing with Blake this morning (all while trying not to look towards Blake's (and Megan's (ugh)) table). I'm both relieved and grateful to have someone to vent to, if a bit surprised it's Andy -- I'd assumed the bit at the coffee shop was just a weird grieving one-off, or if not that, that he wouldn't be caught dead talking to me at school. It's a good feeling, boosting both my mood and my pride, and I can't get the shy smile off my face.

He calls Blake 'a right git' (his words, direct quote) and offers to shove him in a toilet for me, which I laugh at until I realize he's serious. I just ask him for some advice, 'cause a guy like him has to be good with girls, right? He claims he isn't, but I don't believe it for a second. So he tells me to stop worrying about it, because once you start overthinking things you get awkward. So I should keep an eye on Blake but stop being such a nerd about it, and just let whatever happens happen. So -- basically the opposite of what Jessica said. Then he had to ruin it a bit by saying he wouldn't blame me if I went with Jessica, since everyone in the entire school wants to. But I couldn't do that to Megan -- it would be horribly cruel. So that's right out.

We make small talk about our last class (Latin, which I don't understand why he's taking instead of something easier like his teammates are), and it's -- comfortable. Nice, even. I try my hardest to be interesting, to be fun to talk to -- I know he'll have to go catch up with his mates eventually, but for now, I have his attention and I want to keep it. Just ... until the end of lunch. If I can.

Inadvertently(ish) Turn On Andy: 2d6+1 11
Taking a string on Andy and marking XP for rolling Hot.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Donna Wharncliffe

"Um...no. Pretty much my thinking began and ended at 'not Ed' so I haven't really bothered thinking who might be worth going with. Probably...I dunno, just go for someone cute and fun? I really don't know who though. I...can I just leave it with you? I guess I trust your instincts more than mine. Kind of sad, right?"

I have a quick laugh at my own expense there. It's difficult to meet Jess's eyes for some reason. Is it because I'm revealing some kind of weakness or because I'm worried I would stare? Hard to tell.

"I mean, I don't want you to go out of your way or anything, like don't go on a crazy recruiting spree or whatever. Just...yeah. Hook me up with a cute date for the disco. When do you want to do costume stuff? I should be free this afternoon."

I lean back against the lockers next to her and stare at the ceiling.

I think this counts as a bargaining ceremony? Want to exchange strings on each other?

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Megan Brooks

Talking with Blake's made today slightly better. Maybe everything isn't horrible after all. I still have a problem though - Jessica.

"Hey Blake, make sure no one steals my biscuit. I'll be right back." I think there's a pretty good chance that biscuit is toast - probably to the person I just asked to guard it - but it's worth a shot. Grabbing my purse, I slink out of the cafeteria in order to head into the girl's restrooms. No one's gonna bother me in here...

Grabbing an unoccupied stall, I pull a small notebook and pen out of my purse. Flipping it to one of the few remaining blank pages, I prop it against the wall and start to construct the diagram. What's Jessica's deal? Does she actually give a poo poo, or is messing with me just fun and games to her? And line, line, circle there, two dots... done.

I can't help but take a second or two to gaze favorably upon the spell I've just drawn out. Miss Price is such a bitch - I may suck at the quadratic formula, but just look at how complicated what I've drawn is! I'm willing to bet I understand Geometry far better than she does. Ah well, one person at a time. It's time to see what Jessica's actually up to...

Gaze into the Abyss: 2d6+2 10
Visions are clear and lucid; Visions cure her, removing a condition.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 25, 2015

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Pippa: Elanor rolls her eyes at you, "Do you live under a rock or something?" she asks dismissively "The whole schools been talking about it all week. Richard went nuts during the last football match and started and raving about how the other team were all possessed by demons." She frowns "Richard's always really nice and chatty to me. He claims someone put something in his energy drink that made him see stuff." She sniffs haughtily "I for one believe him, even if those stupid doctors at the hospital couldn't find any trace of drugs and stuff in his blood. He was saying to me though that if he ever finds who did it he's going to beat the crap out of them. I hope he does. "

Wait is she talking about the same Richard you know or some other guy who just happens to have the same name. I mean nice and kind are not words you'd use to describe him right? Does Elanor have a crush on him... Eww. Still focusing on the important thing have you ever heard about any sort of mass demonic possession like that? Or do you have a better explanation for why someone might think they'd be seeing demons?

Megan: The Diagram works. You can see the classroom you were in this morning. Jessica turns and smiles at you. But from this angle it's clear she's not interested in you. Well except as a plaything for her amusement. Which may not be totally bad I mean there's guys in the school who'd give their right... arm to be Jessica's plaything. Still based on what you saw earlier she's not just playing her little games with you but with Thom as well. Are you just going to let her manipulate you and Thom like that? Or are you going to do something to get her to back off? I mean you still have that note of hers after all you could use that to fuel some pretty impressive magic right?

Thom: You feel like you could talk to Andy for hours. You never realised how much you had in common. In fact your so engrossed in conversation that it's only when you happen to glance up that Megan seems to have vanished leaving Blake sat there with an unbearably smug look on his face. What do you suppose he said to her this time that got her to run away so fast? and what are you going to do. Stick with talking to Andy? go after Megan? or go over there and give Blake a piece of your mind?

Blake: Megan bestowed on you a sacred trust a holy duty one that.... You've eaten it already haven't you? Oh well it's probably not the end of the world. Still you seem to have managed to more or less save your relationship with her, but that still leaves the problem of Thom. Have you given any thought about what you'd like to do to your rival for Megan's affections? And do you have anything in mind to make your second attempt at asking for a date go a lot better?

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Megan Brooks

I knew it!

I knew she was just messing with me. Super nice of her, I've done SOOO much to deserve it after all. Oh, wait, no, I've never done a single thing to her. God, I'm such an idiot for having thought she had a crush on me, if only for a bit. Of course not. People like Jessica don't care about anybody; they're too obsessed with themselves to give a poo poo about the people they hurt. So you know what Jessica? Two can play at that game. You liked talking to Richard so much last class, maybe it's time for you two to have something in common besides being horrible?

Retrieving her note from my purse - glad I kept it all this time - I listen again for the sound of shuffling, or anything that might indicate someone's come in while I was distracted. After a few second of quiet I've waited long enough. Flipping her note open, I draw another diagram on it... then immediately scrunch the paper up, mumbling an incantation the whole time. Raising the wadded up piece of paper above my head, I finish the words in sync with flinging her note directly into the toilet. Which is hopefully the direction this spell is gonna send Jess's life. Maybe she'll think twice about loving around with someone that can curse people next time.

Hex Jessica: 2d6+2 11
Expending my token on Jessica in order to use the Illusion Hex. Pick one: snakes and bugs, demonic visages, false prophecies, non-existent subtext. The hexed sees that thing everywhere. You have no control over the exact images or manifestations.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Blake Dunsmuir
Harm: 0/4| Experience 1/5| Conditions: Bully, Drained

Looking at Megan's biscuit I resisted taking it for myself. I was still pretty hungry. I eyed the biscuit, she wouldn't be mad if I took half, would she? Best not to risk it. Particularly considering I just patched up our relationship, no need to breach trust, even over something minor as a biscuit.

How to deal with Thom? He'll be pestersome, perhaps Veraxes might be willing to step in. I'll have to ask him later- or you know, if you're listening in like you usually do, now- nothing permanent though. As for Megan, I trace her as she leaves the cafeteria. Hopefully she comes back, it'd be good to continue our converstation. I think the easiest way to ask her out for the dance would be to let this pass, see if I can grab her after her detention, maybe, ask her again then.

using Strings Attached to remove Thom from the running with Megan.

I suppose the last thing would be to try and figure out some great inspiration for how to pump up this party on Friday. I knew a few things that I wanted to do- get a far better soundtrack was a start- but beyond that I needed more. I wanted this to be a loving party nobody would ever forget.

Putting in earbuds, I turn on some music before leaning back against the table, closing my eyes and looking at the ceiling watching as the lights begin to blur out.

Gazing into the Abyss for inspiration (dark): 2d6+2 9

Going to go with the visions are lucid and detailed, but they leave you with the condition Drained

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Ferrosol posted:

Pippa: Elanor rolls her eyes at you, "Do you live under a rock or something?" she asks dismissively "The whole schools been talking about it all week. Richard went nuts during the last football match and started and raving about how the other team were all possessed by demons." She frowns "Richard's always really nice and chatty to me. He claims someone put something in his energy drink that made him see stuff." She sniffs haughtily "I for one believe him, even if those stupid doctors at the hospital couldn't find any trace of drugs and stuff in his blood. He was saying to me though that if he ever finds who did it he's going to beat the crap out of them. I hope he does. "

Wait is she talking about the same Richard you know or some other guy who just happens to have the same name. I mean nice and kind are not words you'd use to describe him right? Does Elanor have a crush on him... Eww. Still focusing on the important thing have you ever heard about any sort of mass demonic possession like that? Or do you have a better explanation for why someone might think they'd be seeing demons?

Pippa Lambton
Hot: 2
Cold: -1 Volatile: 1 Dark: -1
Harm: 0/4| Experience 3/5| Conditions:

"Oh yeah, right...I must've missed that match, ha ha." I laugh unenthusiastically before I take another sip of coffee. Mass possession...well, it happened a lot in the Middle Ages, but the people at the match weren't dancing, were they? Better keep my John the Baptist and Vitus medals handy just in case. I don't feel like asking Eleanor lots of questions, but maybe I'll follow up with Patrick when I get the chance. I hope he's not rude like her! When I find some time this evening I'll have to look up details about the train accident and other weird stuff that's been happening around here.

I chat with the gang a bit more, then excuse myself to go. I'll stop over with Donna and Jessica first, then move on to Thom if I get a chance.

"Jess, Donna!" I slide into a seat next to Jessica. "How's it going? Have dates yet? I'll do my best to help you if you don't, though I doubt you'll need it!"

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Jessica: You stand in the hallway considering what Donna is saying Do you have a candidate lined up who would make her a good date? Pippa walks towards you with a wave but as she starts to speak something strange happens. Her skin blackens and cracks and her voice deepens and roughens horns sprout painfully from her and her smile reveals yellowing fangs. You turn away in instinctive horror only to see that Donna is undergoing the same transformation. Pippa or the Demon that's just possessed Pippa smiles and asks what's wrong. This can't be happening right. Demons aren't real are they? What do you do?

you can hold steady in order to make a proper reaction or you can run away

Pippa: Pippa everything seems to be going fine at first you greet Jessica and Donna but Jessica's eyes widen and she looks at you like she's seen a ghost. Her pale skin somehow becomes even paler and she actually looks frightened of you. Which is ridiculous. Have you ever seen her frightened of anything before? What do you say to her to try and calm her down?

Donna: Jessica's gaze flips back to you and she has a strange look on her face. Like she's just seen something really weird or she's seeing right through you, have you ever had anyone look at you like that before? what did you do then and what are you going to do about it this time?

Megan: Good you've shown Jessica you're not to be trifled with. With a bit of luck humiliation like that in front of half your year group will knock her down a few pegs. Are you going to go have a look? Also with Jessica now thoroughly humiliated you should now be able to go back to talking to Thom are you interested in that or do you have another candidate in mind for the dance now?

Blake: You close your eyes to get a feel for the music. But your choice of songs is interrupted by a radio announcement. Which since you were listening to a playlist should be impossible. "Back to the music in just a moment but first a word from your sponsor. "Hey kids tired of boring and lame parties? you know what you need to liven them up? Alcohol! available at all good off licenses and from your friendly sponsor at a similarly low low price. When added to the punch makes the party go with a real bang! In other news popular secondary school student Thom Brody is not expected to be able to the dance with his would be girlfriend an anonymous source stated "wow this means she's totally single." but more on that story later first let's hear some music... " Well that's a novel way for Veraxes to contact you. Is this the most unusual way he's ever tried to pass information to you? and what do you think of his idea to liven up the party?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Harm 0/4 | Experience 4/5 | Conditions: None

No one? Really. Well, that was a little disappointing. I wouldn't have done anything mean with it, but it's always fun to know a little more gossip about people. "Yeah, this afternoon works, and I'll hook you up with someone good." I have a few ideas of potential people floating in my mind, but I don't get a chance to think much about them because Pippa shows up, and then aaagh what the heeeeeeelllllllllll Donna too aaaaaaaaahhhh-

Holding steady [21:54] godfish !r 2d6+1 [21:54] Krysmbot godfish, 7+1 = 8
I'll keep calm

-hhhhhh- wait. I've gotta hold it together, if they're secretly demons letting on that I can see through their disguise suddenly for some reason is probably a really bad idea. I force my expression back from the horrified rictus it had been in into a more neutral position, and thinking fast, I double over slightly, putting a hand on my stomach. "Sorry- ugh, stomach ache. bathroom!" I turn and head in the direction of the nearest toilet, luckily a couple halls away. I need to talk to someone about this, and normally Pippa would have been my first choice. Since she may or may not be a demon now, my next best bet is.... ugh... Richard.

Jess and Donna swap strings

GodFish fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 28, 2015

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Donna Wharncliffe

Ferrosol posted:

Donna: Jessica's gaze flips back to you and she has a strange look on her face. Like she's just seen something really weird or she's seeing right through you, have you ever had anyone look at you like that before? what did you do then and what are you going to do about it this time?

Well, Blake looked at me sort of like that when we argued about that medal, but that was just regular fear and confusion. Probably the closest was when Dad found out that I was the next dragon in the family while we were visiting Grandad. For some reason his generation (and maybe the one before, our family line is a little complicated) didn't produce one, and there were rumours that there wouldn't be any more of us. He...wasn't as pleased as Grandad was. Kept muttering about how 'it should have been over" but wouldn't talk about it. I figure he was jealous, but the look he gave me was...well, we've been distant ever since. All I could really do was roll with it, and it's not like he's been a bad Dad. He's just...always working now.

If that's Jess having trouble with our so-called lunch I'm a monkey's uncle. So...did she see something about me? No, she was looking at Pippa first. Huh. I look at Pippa and shrug.

"Do you want to go keep an eye on her? She might need someone to hold her hair out of the toilet. I'd go but I, uh, have to meet someone before lunch is over."

And also I'd like to get somewhere quiet to meditate on why Jess is really freaking out, I don't add. I start to walk off but talk over my shoulder as I'm going.

"Text me if you need any help with Jess, OK? We need her on top form to help with the Disco prep."

That said I'm off to the bike shed. It's pretty much empty, no-one is around (the sixth-form smokers mostly go hang out off school grounds somewhere) and they recently put a proper concrete path all around it so I don't even have to get my shoes muddy. I'm here before Jordan, it looks like. This should only take a second, anyway. I reach under my jumper and pull out the opal necklace I'm wearing (against school regs, of course, but whatever). It's a little thing, but it's part of my hoard and if I focus on it in just the right way I can hopefully get an idea of what Jess was seeing.

Gaze Into The Abyss: 2d6+2 12

the visions are lucid and detailed; the visions show you what you must do, and you carry 1 forward to doing it

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Megan Brooks
Harm 0/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions:

Feeling fairly pleased with myself, I flush the toliet to get rid of Jessica's note and then gather up my things, putting them all away in my bag. That done and a quick glance about to guarantee that everything was in order, I unlock the stall and head back towards the cafeteria. That way I'll get to both finish my meal, and hopefully see Jessica freaking out. I'm already regretting my decision to go with demonic visages again, though... should have tried out a new one. At least it was fitting.

Unfortunately, I hadn't considered that the very first thing someone freaking out might do is head towards the bathrooms. Which from the looks of it is what a mildly confused Jessica is doing. That's... odd. Figured the Hex would've affected her more, supposedly Richard tried to climb the goal and she's not running around or screaming or anything.

At the minimum though, I don't want to be near her. The whole point of sympathetic magic is NOT having to be near the person you're hexing. "Hey Jess, you ok?" I ask while still walking past her, trying to feign some sympathy while still fleeing the scene.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Thom Brody

I'm inevitably ditched, but Andy's pretty apologetic about it. Left to my own devices I feel a bit like a lost dog, looking around for familiar faces -- someone to hang out with. Where'd Megan go? Blake's just sitting there by himself now, zoning out. Did he piss Megan off again? Ugh, I hope not. I glare at the back of his head but it probably wouldn't intimidate anybody. The darker part of my mind -- it wants me to go over there. To give him Hell for even talking to Megan -- for stealing my chance to make sure we were still okay!

But, erm. I -- I wouldn't do that. At least not here -- not publicly. Even just thinking about it makes me feel a little ill. I stab a slice of tomato, instead. It's not anywhere near as satisfying. I'll talk to Jessica after school, that's what. Sure, she might have been messing with me, but she's smarter about this stuff than I am. I should've just said yes to begin with. I bet someone will ask her and it'll be Too Late, though, and at that point I might as well not even go at all, even though I just told Andy I was still going and it'd be rude to just break that off with him and --

Ugh. This is all Blake's fault. I can't stay in here; I'll just keep staring at him and make myself frustrated. I clean up my lunch and head out into the hall, where maybe I'll find something interesting or at least somewhere more quiet to spend the rest of my free time. I see Donna walking off, and Pippa, who I'm much more cheered to have run into; they both look concerned about something. "'Lo, Pippa," I say, trying to keep the frustration out of my voice. It's not at her,, so. "Is something wrong?"

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Blake Dunsmuir
Harm: 0/4| Experience 1/5| Conditions: Bully, Drained

Well, that was novel. That was probably the oddest way that Veraxes had ever contacted me, though not by much. There was that time that he decided to contact me all Matrix-style on my computer. That was amusing to watch, for being of ultimate evil, he definitely had a sense of humor and creativity. I smiled as I listened on. Alcohol was a given, really but... he was willing to give me some, that made things interesting. I mean, infernal liqueur could only make things absolutely interesting.

Watching Jessica book it out of the cafeteria, I grab Megan's plate before moving towards Donna and Pippa. Staggering a bit, I finally managed to find my feet. I was feeling exhausted, through and through. It'd been a bad day, and it was only halfway done. Taking my headphones out, I wrap them up before speaking.

"Is she all right?" I ask the pair wearily nodding towards the way that Jess went, "She booked it out of there pretty quickly."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Harm 0/4 | Experience 5/5 | Conditions: None

Plan Talk to Richard is looking less and less viable as I head to the bathroom, each person I pass on the way looking normal at first, but basically as soon as I look at them their faces start to shift and melt, forming demon after demon leering at me. Each time it happens gets be a little more freaked out, and my control is slipping a bit more rear end well. I can't understand this! If it was just Pippa and Donna then they could be demons in disguise, but the entire school so far? Is it just the ones I've happened to run into, and they're following me or something?

The hall ahead of me is empty now, just another corner to the bathroom and then I'll be able to relax and try to figure out what I'm even thinking. And then there comes a demon shifting out of Megan's face around the corner. I let out a small groan, and rush past her, managing to mutter out "sick" before I enter the bathroom, push my way into a stall and slam the door behind me.

I sag backwards against the stall door, breathing hard for a moment, then I fall forward, and retch into the toilet. If I'd actually eaten anything since last night there might have actually been something to come up, but as it is I'm just dry heaving, the tightly cramped world of the stall and porcelain bowl spinning around me. What is going on?

Gaze into the abyss, what is going on
[00:56] godfish !r 2d6-1 [00:56] Krysmbot godfish, 6-1 = 5
well I get experience for that at least.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Jessica: Jessica, unfortunately all your close examination of the toilet bowl shows is that the school should hire more dedicated cleaners as they've clearly not doing their job properly. Hell you can even see a crumpled up ball of paper that someone clearly discarded without even bothering to put in the bin. Still before you dry retch again you hear a soft voice behind you.... "Hey are you ok? you look like hell." Turning your head you see Eleanor, but this time it's definitely her and not some demon thing using her voice. For some reason she's the only person you've met yet who has not been possessed or whatever is going on. How well do you know her anyway? and what do you say to her?

Eleanor takes a string on you

Megan: What the hell just happened? Normally when one of your hexes goes wrong you know about it but this time you did things perfectly yet clearly the spell doesn't seem to have worked the way it should. Jessica is definitely not yelling about demons coming to eat her. Hell if it wasn't for the look on her face you'd almost think the spell had no effect on her at all. Did your Dad's notes have anything on why spells sometimes just fizzle? Do you have any sort of plan to find out what went wrong this time. I mean it's not like you can walk up and ask her right?

Thom: Pippa looks concerned for a moment and bites her lower lip as if she's wondering what to tell you. "It's not me it's Jessica. All of a sudden she looked right at me and she was scared. That's not like her, I mean have you ever seen her scared of anything." She glances up and down the corridor and leans in close to you and whispers "I mean some of the nasty things we've fought with I've never seen her that scared." she frowns worriedly Come to think of it what was the weirdest thing you've seen when you've went hunting with Pippa? and what's your usual contribution to those hunts anyway?

Donna: You stare transfixed at the pendant as the shadows within it twist and spin. The shadows almost look like people. You even fancy that, that one there is identical to Jessica and watch as it is surrounded by the other people shadows until one by one they twist and transform into some sort of devil or demon. The Jessica shadow reacts by backing off away not quite running but certainly moving at a brisk pace to be alone until another shadow looms out of the darkness next to her. This shadow is not demonic but something about doesn't seem quite right as if it's stuttering fading and trying to dissolve yet somehow still there. You're so lost in though trying to make sense of it all that you don't really notice Jordan's arrival. Impatiently he clears his throat and you glance up at him. He panickily glances around "Donna I need your help. I found this when I was out walking" He pulls out an exquisite looking brooch of a type you've never seen before. "It was just lying there like somebody had dropped it so I picked it up and was gonna hand it in to the police after school honest. Since I found it though weird stuff has been going on it's like someone's watching me all the time and I think I'm being followed,. You're into all that jewellery crap right? Do you know where it might have come from or who it might belong to?" So what about the brooch is so fascinating anyway? and do you believe Jordan's story?

Blake: You step through the double doors still holding Megan's plate, giving you a perfect view of Thom's whispering to Pippa, Does that guy just never stop? first he interrupted you with Megan then he's trying it on with Jessica and now, he's whispering sweet nothings to Pippa and he had the gall to tell you to back off from Megan maybe he should try making up his own mind who he's dating. Still at least your question interrupts the two and Pippa does blush like well a guilty teenager caught doing something she shouldn't. Pippa frowns at you "I don't know besides it's none of you business anyway," Pippa's not been all that friendly to you lately has she. What was it you did to her that pissed her off in the first place? and do you have any idea how you can weasel the information out of her despite that?

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 1, 2015

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Harm 0/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions: None

I freeze for a moment at the sound of a voice behind me, I thought I had locked the door! poo poo, I don't want anyone to see me like this, demon or not! I turn slowly around, and feel myself simultaneously relax and tense up at the same time. She doesn't look like a demon, which is a huge relief, at least someone is still normal, but .... Eleanor isn't really high on my list of people to want to see.

I'm pretty sure she's one of the popular girls in Pippa's crowd, and I don't really mix with them much. Still, she seems concerned, which is more than I'd have expected. I reach back to flush the toilet bowl, trying to keep my body in the way so she can't see it was empty, and make a face. "Just... feeling sic-ugh..." I manage to hold off another dry heave, but sway slightly, feeling extremely light headed. Vertigo from standing up too fast, or burned energy from the puking, or just giddy with relief at seeing another human? Don't know. Still swaying, I lean against Eleanor for a moment until I've found my feet again, and head towards the door. Pushing it open a crack, I wave her over and before I can stop myself, I point down the hall at some of the people walking around and ask, "they look normal to you?"

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Donna Wharncliffe
Harm 0/4 | Experience 3+1/5 | Conditions:

So...Jess is seeing things? Demons? No wonder she looked weird. I'll find her after I meet up with-

"Oh! Sorry, Jordan, I was miles away."

Oh myyy. That's 3rd century Roman, I'd bet my life on it. Haven't seen anything like it in person, but I keep an eye on auction house websites. Probably solid gold and worth a few thousand pounds. Where the hell were you walking when you just...found this, Jordan? You're not the type to break and enter old houses, or go grave-robbing. I can feel my eyes going wide and my instincts scream at me to take this precious thing from a blundering fool who waves it under my nose

Hold Steady: 2d6+1 9
Opting to keep calm and not just smash poor Jordan, gaining XP from rolling Cold

I'm inclined to believe that he's genuinely worried about being followed, as well as about finding the broach. He can be a bit daft but he's not a liar. Or a thief. If someone has stolen this thing then they might be looking for it. Or it could be some kind of magic. Old things attract curses and ghosts with alarming regularity, at least according to some of the old tomes in Grandad's library. Either way, I'm better equipped to look after it than Jordan is.

"Um...it looks pretty old. Can't imagine anyone would have been wearing it out on a walk. Probably belongs to a museum or a collector or something. Do you want me to...look after it? I can make a few calls, see if anyone I know is missing something like that? I can keep it quiet, if you're worried about...being followed or whatever."

Manipulate an NPC: 2d6-1 5

Haha, no.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Thom Brody

Pippa's right: Jessica? Scared of something? Hard to conceive of; she's even more bold than Pippa. "Did Donna say something to her?" I ask nervously. They'd been talking, and Donna could be sort of cold and intimidating, but -- I don't know. I hope she's okay. I'm a lot more worried for her than I want to admit, though it probably shows on my face. I never did get the hang of bluffing...

In some ways, I really look up to Jessica; is that weird? She always seems so... I don't know, confident or something. Not the way Pippa is, with being surrounded by friends without trying -- which is good, too! Don't get me wrong -- but Jessica has this self-assuredness to her, like she never has doubts. Like when we're going around at night with Pippa, she may not be the leader, but Jessica is always the first to come up with a plan and stand behind it.

She's, uh. Pretty cool. Is what I'm saying here. (Dunno why I never thought of it until now, really...)

Not like I'm useless or anything, myself. I'm, er, good at keeping my head in a crisis! Yeah, you wouldn't think so, but it's something I've learned about myself through helping Pippa. I'm kind of a mythology nerd ever since that thing at summer camp, so sometimes I'll remember good information about whatever kind of thing we're chasing down. I s'pose you could call me 'moral support' but it sounds a bit naff if you say it like that. But I'll never fool anyone into thinking I'm a fighter, I guess. Like, there was this time we were investigating some drownings, down by the river; nasty stuff, I think the police called them suicides but Pippa and I had both heard of some water spirits who drown those who get too close, so we looked into it. And, er -- I guess I got too close. 'Cause something grabbed me by the ankle -- I couldn't see what but I'm pretty sure it was a gross hand -- and I was just too petrified to do much of anything. I almost didn't even call out, and by the time I got my wits back Pippa was already there trying to hack the thing off of me. I had nightmares about grundylows for weeks...

But this is all really off point, I've got to help Jessica! Only... she's in the girls' loo so er that's a bit off limits. Maybe I can talk to her through the door or something, right? I'm biting my lip hard as I walk closer to the door, hoping nothing about this looks too weird or anything. "Jessica? Are you okay in there? Pippa said something happened..."

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Jessica: Eleanor peeks round the door and frowns. "I wouldn't call any of the people out there normal. I can see Blake the creep, Pippa who I just don't get how the hell did she get so popular and Thom the Jesus freak. None of them fit my definition of normal anyway." she frowns in distaste at the three of them or just the very idea that any of them would be considered normal. Still she glances up at you speculatively as if she realises what you meant and asks quietly if you're seeing anything unusual at the slightest sign from you she bursts into questions What have you eaten? what have you drank? is there anyone you've upset? did you notice any funny taste to your food? Before you can answer there's a voice from the other side of the door that you recognise. Thom. Which one of your two "rescuers" do you talk to first and how do you fob off the other one?

Thom: Just as you arrive at the door. you overhear a snippet of conversation "--Thom the freak." Seems Jessica's not alone in there and whoever she's arguing with doesn't exactly have the highest opinion of you. Do you care what someone random girl calls you anyway? Still the fact that she's arguing must be a good thing right. I mean if she agreed she wouldn't be having that low voiced discussion. You speak through the door and wait for a response. What were you planning to do to help her work through whatever scared her anyway?

Donna: He smiles excitedly at you. "I knew you'd know about old stuff like this." Still he clutches the bracelet tighter to his chest at your obvious interest to it. But as he does so it seems like he's looking you up and down. You can't help but perform your own examination. Has he been working out or something... you don't remember him looking this good. What does seem to have changed about his looks? He finishes mulling over his decision and turns to you and says "umm I suppose you could look after it for a while just till we find it's actual owner. I don't fancy leaving something like this lying around." He goes on awkwardly. "err do you have a date yet for Friday? cause I thought umm we could go together if that's ok with you... How do you respond to that?

He'll give you the bracelet for now, if you agree to go on a date with him.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Harm 0/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions: None

Yeah, like I said, I don't really like Eleanor much, and her comments just cement that opinion. Or they would have, if it wasn't for what she said next. I reshut the bathroom the rest of the way, blocking off my view of the demon she had identified as Thom that was approaching, and turn to stare at her. "What? Well-" I don't want to say anything really, but she sounds like she.... thinks I'm seeing what I'm seeing? So maybe she knows something! "yeah, I am. Everyone looks like... a demon... except you." If she tries to make fun of me, I swear I'll kill her. Just then though, I can hear Thom calling for me from the other end of the door, god was everyone I know watching me run into the bathroom to puke or something?

I glance between Eleanor and the door for a moment, then step over to it and open it a crack again, "just feeling a bit ill, something I ate probably." What did he want? Was he going to ask me to the dance afterall or something? This really isn't the time, especially if he's been possessed or something. "talk to you later! bye!" I shut the door again, trying to uninvite him from the conversation.

shut down Thom [19:56] godfish !r 2d6+1 [19:56] Krysmbot godfish, 5+1 = 6 hahaha

Turning back to Eleanor again, I reply in an urgent tone, probably loud enough for Thom outside to hear if he didn't take the hint and beat it, "just some salad and a glass of water. Seemed normal, but kind of crappy like the rest of the school food. Uh..." Well the truth was I hadn't eaten anything at lunch, the last thing I had was some blood the other day, but... That wasn't really something I could say. "Can't think of anyone I'd have upset, well.... maybe Richard?"

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Thom Brody
Harm 0/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions: Nice Guy

That stings a little. I could be mad at Blake because he was utterly, undeniably wrong, so I had conviction. But that kind of disdain... all that does is hurt. Shouldn't matter from someone I barely even care about, but it does, and I can't change that. Still, she probably has her reasons. A lot of people -- understandably -- don't have many good feelings towards religion, and I don't know her well enough to blame her. So while I may not like her behavior, I can empathize with it. It's okay.

(Can I tag Sympathy Is My Weapon here? If so, taking a string on Eleanor.)

Jessica's dismissing me too, which I expected (mostly), but there's such a weird note of anxiety or something in her voice that I can't just back down. Even if she gets mad at me for it. People act stupid when they're scared; it's okay. I'm not even sure what I can do here, especially if she's stonewalling me like this but there's got to be something. I can hear her and that other girl talking but I can't make out the words...

I consider offering to go get the nurse, but she'll hate that. I can't really do anything if she doesn't talk to me! "All I want to do is help, okay? If you don't want me to, that's fine, but you don't have to be horrible. Even if you're sick or whatever. Sorry." I'm sulking a little, pent-up frustration finding an escape in venting at Jessica through the door. Unfortunately it probably sounds more like whining...

Shut Down Jessica 2d6-1 6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Megan Brooks
Harm 0/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions:

Jessica is utterly baffling me. Why didn't it work? Walking back to the cafeteria, it's almost hard to pay attention to what's going on because I'm so distracted trying to think of some factor that could've been the culprit. The diagram and incantations were perfect, I'm sure of that. The spell plainly worked on Richard. So it has to be something to do with Jessica, something she has on her person, possibly a pre-existing hex or enchantment, or with the school itself. Magic has a lot of variables. Well, like my dad's notes say - refine and recast. Time to acquire some more sympathetic links on her.

Still distracted by thoughts of the arcane, I nearly plow into Pippa and Blake since they've apparently taken up loitering in the hallways as a new hobby. I don't trust Pippa at all and would normally avoid her, but I'm feeling more confident after hexing Jessica (even if it didn't entirely work.) So I give both of them a wave instead, and I even brush the hair out of my face so they can see more than about twenty percent of my face. Oh! Blake saved my biscuit. Grabbing that from him, I bite into it and then ask (with my mouth full) "Thanks Blake. What are you guys talking about?"

• Locked thread