Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

olin posted:

Alcohol is basically the least desirable of all intoxicants.

Your life must rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexim
Jun 2, 2006

I wants flies in on a dragons, okay?

School Nickname posted:

I refuse to drink alcohol before 9pm, even on work nights. I don't do spirits so I'm not gonna miss work or come in stinking. Just pace 3-4 delicious €7 ciders over 4 hours

Even at my worst, I really hated drinking when the sun was still up, or even when it was twilight. Summer was my least favorite season because the godamn sun wouldn't go down until like 8:30pm.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

fyodor posted:

drinking dries you out remember to moisturize

Whenever I get drunk I always remember this and pound a couple bottles of water right before bed. It has helped the hangover, and I haven't pissed the bed yet. It is only a matter of time, and I hope it's going to be hilarious

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
Only pussies invent phrases like "day drinking". Normal people just call it "life".

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
thread is doomed to devolve into crushingly depressing stories of alcoholism by page 8

this is the fate of all alcohol threads in GBS. it is known.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

olin posted:

Alcohol is basically the least desirable of all intoxicants.

The non hippy rest of the world basically disagrees with you

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I tried day drinking a few times. It consistently make me fall asleep at inappropriate times and i always woke up with a bitch of a headache.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
yeah i day drink, if by that you mean step outside and drink the warm rays of happy sol

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
While I don't really recommend functional alcoholism, it can be a mildly entertaining way to spend a decade or so if you have nothing better to do.

Now keep in mind; functional alcoholism is different than binge drinking. Anyone can get blasted 2-3 nights a week, recover and continue on.

Functional alcoholism means you are maintaining an elevated BAC level 24/7 indefinitely, AND going about your normal day to day life like any other productive member of society.

Start by easing into it, drinking a few drinks every night if you don't already. On the weekends, just start moving the first drink earlier and earlier into the day. Set a goal like "pork chops, eggs, and beer" for breakfast on weekend mornings. Yum!
After 6 months to a year, you'll start to notice withdrawal symptoms. This will probably happen in the mornings around 10am with some mild shakes in your hands when you're trying to type at your keyboard. Also, you may feel mildly sick after eating lunch without any alcohol.

Do not be alarmed! This is the start of your new life!

Take these symptoms as a cue to drink alcohol. In fact, realize that if you drink earlier, you can stave off the symptoms entirely! Have a beer by 9 am to avoid the shakes, another 1 or 2 before lunch and enjoy a hearty meal!

Congratulations!

Soon you will be stockpiling alcohol. First thing in the morning will be to start the pot of coffee, and knock back a beer immediately. Another two drinks in the first hour should stabilize your BAC, getting your ready to go about your morning.

You'll have to keep alcohol on hand if you plan to be out during the day. A small cooler in the car, or a flask will keep a supply at hand to keep you stable. But that isn't your real drinking. That's just to remain operational.

Your pretty much primed at this point. If you feel like getting a slight buzz, stop by the lounge in the local mall. Go out for lunch and have a beer or three. Going hiking? That pack will be a lot lighter on the way back!
If travelling through airports, plan ahead! Many airport lounges are not open before 8 am!!

Balanced properly, you can maintain a job, friendships and family. A close relationship may be out though, if your SO doesn't approve of your alcoholism. For this reason alone, I would not recommend functional alcoholism if you are not single. Logistically, its just too much a pain in the rear end to hide your stabilizing routine from someone you share a home with.

The plus side is living a life with a mild chemically induced euphoria running in the background at all times. You'll also have an alcohol tolerance of a titan. Way more so than any mere binge drinker. Its pretty fascinating when it takes an additional 4+ drinks within an hour beyond your normal drinking to induce even a mild sense of intoxication. Within a couple of years you'll be drinking 20-30 drinks a day, and hardly feeling any immediate, daily impact.

The down side includes, addiction/withdrawal(you have to plan your alcohol intake for every single day, or face withdrawal!), cost, beer shits 99% of the time if you drink beer, liver damage, and an overall lowering of motivation and depression that comes with substance addiction.

All in all its *something* to do. In reality, it will probably catch up to you, progressing into non-functioning alcoholism; though this may take years to achieve. If it gets that far, and you want to live, it will probably require a 100% stop in drinking for the rest of your life, but thats cool, because its easy to view it as cramming your whole life's worth of drinking into 10 years or so. You got it all done and out of the way. Now for something new!

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Internetjack posted:

While I don't really recommend functional alcoholism, it can be a mildly entertaining way to spend a decade or so if you have nothing better to do.

Now keep in mind; functional alcoholism is different than binge drinking. Anyone can get blasted 2-3 nights a week, recover and continue on.

Functional alcoholism means you are maintaining an elevated BAC level 24/7 indefinitely, AND going about your normal day to day life like any other productive member of society.

Start by easing into it, drinking a few drinks every night if you don't already. On the weekends, just start moving the first drink earlier and earlier into the day. Set a goal like "pork chops, eggs, and beer" for breakfast on weekend mornings. Yum!
After 6 months to a year, you'll start to notice withdrawal symptoms. This will probably happen in the mornings around 10am with some mild shakes in your hands when you're trying to type at your keyboard. Also, you may feel mildly sick after eating lunch without any alcohol.

Take these symptoms as a cue to drink alcohol. In fact, realize that if you drink earlier, you can stave off the symptoms entirely! Have a beer by 9 am to avoid the shakes, another 1 or 2 before lunch and enjoy a hearty meal!

Congratulations!

Soon you will be stockpiling alcohol. First thing in the morning will be to start the pot of coffee, and knock back a beer immediately. Another two drinks in the first hour should stabilize your BAC, getting your ready to go about your morning.

You'll have to keep alcohol on hand if you plan to be out during the day. A small cooler in the car, or a flask will keep a supply at hand to keep you stable. But that isn't your real drinking. That's just to remain operational.

Your pretty much primed at this point. If you feel like getting a slight buzz, stop by the lounge in the local mall. Go out for lunch and have a beer or three. Going hiking? That pack will be a lot lighter on the way back!
If travelling through airports, plan ahead! Many airport lounges are not open before 8 am!!

Balanced properly, you can maintain a job, friendships and family. A close relationship may be out though, if your SO doesn't approve of your alcoholism. For this reason alone, I would not recommend functional alcoholism if you are not single. Logistically, its just too much a pain in the rear end to hide your stabilizing routine from someone you share a home with.

The plus side is living a life with a mild chemically induced euphoria running in the background at all times. You'll also have an alcohol tolerance of a titan. Way more so than any mere binge drinker. Its pretty fascinating when it takes an additional 4+ drinks within an hour beyond your normal drinking to induce even a mild sense of intoxication. Within a couple of years you'll be drinking 20-30 drinks a day, and hardly feeling any immediate, daily impact.

The down side includes, addiction/withdrawal(you have to plan your alcohol intake for every single day, or face withdrawal!), cost, beer shits 99% of the time if you drink beer, liver damage, and an overall lowering of motivation and depression that comes with substance addiction.

All in all its *something* to do. In reality, it will probably catch up to you, progressing into non-functioning alcoholism; though this may take years to achieve. If it gets that far, and you want to live, it will probably require a 100% stop in drinking for the rest of your life, but thats cool, because its easy to view it as cramming your whole life's worth of drinking into 10 years or so. You got it all done and out of the way. Now for something new!

sounds like a solid plan. I was looking for a subtle way to ruin my health and marriage and financial well being.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
very informative, thanks.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
gonna invent some sort of mechanical liver and make a fortune off these posters

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Internetjack posted:

Congratulations!

thank you

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

UV_Catastrophe posted:

thread is doomed to devolve into crushingly depressing stories of alcoholism by page 8

this is the fate of all alcohol threads in GBS. it is known.

Much like a at a real party, the alcoholics and ex alcoholics are the ones who kill the mood :(

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

Internetjack posted:

Congratulations!

Interesting. Thanks for the knowledge friend.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

you sound like a real lightweight and also a bitch OP

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
K

BONE DOG fucked around with this message at 14:49 on May 5, 2015

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

1000mg of benadryl is more fun than being drunk hth

Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin
to take off your skin, And dance around in your bones!
I drink in bed :smug:

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
I like leaving the office early in the summertime and walking the dog up to the crappy little dog beach with a beer.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

do you faggots never do yard work or anything

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
in my experience, day drinking is great when you do it after/while you get responsibilities taken care of.

at a certain point, however, it turns on you, and you start day drinking to avoid/forget about your responsibilities. that's when you know you're in trouble.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SHARTING BEAR posted:

ahaha you drink cider

Some ciders are good, but all ciders universally give me explosive shits if I have more than 2-3 because of all the sugar.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Parallax Scroll posted:

do you faggots never do yard work or anything

who has yards anymore,what are we, loving Hobbits? is this hobbitown?

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkMNOlYcpHg

every day

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Trochanter posted:

I drink in bed :smug:

bossanova

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

in my experience, day drinking is great when you do it after/while you get responsibilities taken care of.

at a certain point, however, it turns on you, and you start day drinking to avoid/forget about your responsibilities. that's when you know you're in trouble.

:agreed:
laying on the beach or lounging in a kayak with a 24 pack, or something is really fun on a weekend with nothing else to do.

but holy poo poo, maybe im just old but i get tired as gently caress and crash hard if i drink during the day. even some mimosas in the morning, i'll just get super tired and want to nap for several hours later on. fortunately i dont really sunburn because i've passed the gently caress out under the sun for hours on end doing this

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

FizFashizzle posted:

Getting drunk on a Saturday by 3 and being in bed at 8 is basically what my life has become.

dead in a motel
Sep 10, 2000
Go to a beer festival, drink eat and smoke nonstop, continue in hotel bar later, make scene, fade to black.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqEa-mR3Ah0

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

I've heard this song at least a couple dozen times on Pandora and never knew it was Psy.
How does Snoop stay so skinny when he smokes multiple pounds a year.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Um if you drink alone you are on the way to alcoholism hth

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Alcohol is a crutch of the weak betas the plague this world. I do not need to drink or smoke the Devil's Herb when I am drunk on inquiry and high on enlightenment.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Strategic Tea posted:

Alcohol is a crutch of the weak betas the plague this world. I do not need to drink or smoke the Devil's Herb when I am drunk on inquiry and high on enlightenment.

Yes, yes, the betas of the world drink it for themselves, while the alphas use it to daterape. STFU.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

clean and sober living, and what comes with an honest days work is the only high you'll ever need, op

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

veedubfreak posted:

Yes, yes, the betas of the world drink it for themselves, while the alphas use it to daterape. STFU.

fake betas pretending to be alpha use it for daterape, as a true alpha you can gently caress any girl you want with just a glance

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Day drinking is awesome. Day drinking at a friend's pool on a hot summer day is god-tier.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
Ever since I left my ex, I've been drinking 24/7. Gaining 3 kilograms a week, and being incapable to do anything to fix my life is pretty nice. Had KFC today.

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals
sounds like theres nothing to fix???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

just go to a multiple day music festival

you get up, drink a beer to make the headache go away, and then dont stop drinking until you fall asleep 17 hours later

what sucks is that at 28 years old i literally cant handle 3 day drinking anymore, last time i was at a festival i couldnt really function the day we left and it took me 3 days to feel normal again

• Locked thread