Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
Greetings and salutations, thrill seekers. My name is DrPain, and I will be your host through the foreseeable future. For those of you not familliar with how I got to this point, I invite you to read up on my automotive service career antics in volume one.

Tomorrow marks my first day out of the frying pan and into the fire. To bring you all up to speed, when last I was actively posting, the headache of owning an independent family shop and dealing with my curmudgeonly father in law led me to sell the business and go corporate. I kicked around in sales at a Mazda dealership in town attempting to get my foot in the door at their service department, but they suck and it didn't happen. I literally beat down the doors of ever other dealer service department until I could speak with a decision maker, only to be told hundreds of times "Hey, you sound great and we'll keep your resume on file but we are not actively hiring", which I always took as a very polite "WHO LET THIS GUY IN HERE? gently caress OFF."

Feeling defeated, I gave into my natural instincts to get back into sales, but not of the automotive variety. For the last month I have found employment on the Las Vegas Stripe selling fine art. It's gay as gently caress. "Yes sir, this piece really brings an air of calm to any room upon which it graces the walls hitherto. Simply gaze upon the silhouette of the treeline in the late summer sunset and be captivated. $6,000 framed and shipped please." When in my head I'm going "WHO THE gently caress SPENDS SIX GRAND ON A loving PHOTOGRAPH YOU DUMB MOTHERFUCKER GO BUY LIKE 2 OR 3 CARS OFF CRAIGSLIST AND JUICE THOSE BAD MOTHER FUCKERS UP". But I digress.

Alas, my cynicism got the better of me, and a Toyota store in town did indeed keep my resume on file as promised. They called me a week ago and told me a position had just opened up. The service writer position is mine to have.The car gods have heard my years of regular maintenance prayers and have rewarded me ten fold. I feel like building a shrine to our patron saint of horsepower, Carol Shelby, complete with those candles from the hispanic section of VONS, and a pile of broken parts. Let all men bear witness to the power of purr.

Anyway, puns and half drunk celebratory rambling aside, I plan to make this thread the 2nd volume of my repository for all the hosed up poo poo I see.

Buckle your goddamn seat belts. :getin:

DrPain fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
5'd and subscribed so goddamned fast. Welcome back, DrPain :)

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Strapped in. Can't wait for Round 2 of shenanigans!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

quote:

I feel like building a shrine to our patron saint of POWERRRRRRR, Jeremy Clarkson.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Service writer?

Oh poo poo. This could be interesting.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Woop subscribed

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
My eyes and body are ready.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
:siren:OH poo poo SON:siren:

I can't wait for the wacky corporate adventures that surely await. Just don't post anything that might get you fired :ohdear:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

DrPain posted:

Greetings and salutations, thrill seekers. My name is DrPain, and I will be your host through the foreseeable future. For those of you not familliar with how I got to this point, I invite you to read up on my automotive service career antics in volume one.

I plan to make this thread the 2nd volume of my repository for all the hosed up poo poo I see.

I close the paperwork after the writers do their thing and let me tell you, you'll get exactly that!

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Just don't post anything that might get you fired :ohdear:

The thought had crossed my mind.

In all reality this will probably be the new DrPain thread now with 95% less fun due to corporate oversight and self preservation. :patriot:

I can still post about meat, though. Check out my celebratory steaks, y'all.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

DrPain posted:

In all reality this will probably be the new DrPain thread now with 95% less fun due to corporate oversight and self preservation. :patriot:
I will now just imagine that every "Oh gently caress ME" post of flate-rate buttfucking 13" posts in his thread has you behind a desk nearby, cackling and lighting cigars with $100 bills.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
AWWWW YISSSSSSSSS

piss boner
May 17, 2003

DrPain posted:

Holy poo poo. :magical:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Can't wait to see the first demolished Corvette.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I fell about 1000 posts behind on the old thread, sorry to hear about the nightmare it became and congrats on the new life!

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Loved your first thread, looking forward to this one.

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
aww yee

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Ya got a waterpump gasket for a 97 Tacoma?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

So in the interest of plausible deniability, Dr. Pain has moved to the land of maple syrup and now works at a Toyota dealership in Kamloops, right?

I'm :allears: about this thread already

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Preoptopus posted:

Ya got a waterpump gasket for a 97 Tacoma?

YOU BET

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

You would.

Hey, SoCal AI is doing a wheeling trip this Saturday. Come out, bring the wife, wheel with us.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I got it from Motronic for AISS.

Wish I could! It'd be awesome, but uh, we're still recovering from the move.

driguy
Feb 16, 2009

In The Pit!
Awesome. The previous thread was one of my favorites and I am looking forward to what this one will bring.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Yesssssssssssss! Pre-emptively 5'd.

The other thread needs to be goldmined!

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Krakkles posted:

You would.

Hey, SoCal AI is doing a wheeling trip this Saturday. Come out, bring the wife, wheel with us.

This.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

This is going to be a good thread. :getin:

skylineboy08
Nov 12, 2010
5'd and sub'd. Hopefully you get more lifetime oil changes like that dog scented 4-runner or rav-4 from the old shop :twisted:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Not gonna say how I really feel about most service writers, hopefully you can break the mold because the mold is usually made of dog poo poo.

Honestly if you have any kind of morals I don't see you staying there very long, unless the dealership you work for is the exception to the rule.

Good luck.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
You don't work for John Barr, do you?

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
I for one look forward to meat and horrible customer tales. Maybey in some M. Night twist the intern from the old thread got a job at this dealership

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
How's the old father in law doing?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

InitialDave posted:

I will now just imagine that every "Oh gently caress ME" post of flate-rate buttfucking 13" posts in his thread has you behind a desk nearby, cackling and lighting cigars with $100 bills

https://youtu.be/gwdypLFy8Pk

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
Where are the updates? I was promised updates. :cmon:

iForge fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 1, 2015

ununun
Jun 1, 2012
unununium
what a great thread

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Did he died

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TKIY posted:

Did he died

He was always dead. He was posting from purgatory.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

leica posted:

Not gonna say how I really feel about most service writers, hopefully you can break the mold because the mold is usually made of dog poo poo.

Honestly if you have any kind of morals I don't see you staying there very long, unless the dealership you work for is the exception to the rule.

Don't worry, they were all for show.

iForge posted:

Where are the updates? I was promised updates. :cmon:

He has some personal poo poo going on and, as predicted, life as a service writer at Major Dealership #36269 is boring as poo poo.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
Updates... yeah.

I suppose you could say that my excitement for the new position was premature, and I probably shouldn't have posted this thread.

I'll never be able to capture the same magical tone of my previous thread, for a few reasons. The biggest among them being that I was posting as a way of fondly remembering the daily grind at my plucky little shop. At the dealership, I'd rather forget what goes on, and the last goddamn thing I ever want to do is burn in the memories of the poo poo I deal with by posting about it.

There's a pretty steep learning curve when it comes to Dealership Life and I'm still getting adjusted, but I have a working knowledge of it enough to pass the sniff test from management. Basically it comes down to, document everything, cover your rear end, and kiss everyone else's. I was already pretty great at the first two, and I am still learning the finer points of the latter. Gone are the days when I could fire a customer, because GOD FORBID their BAD SERVICE :airquote:EXPERIENCE:airquote: be what motivates them to BUY THEIR NEXT TOYOTA SOMEWHERE ELSE. These people aren't looking for skilled labor, they're looking for somebody to make the MAINTENANCE REQUIRED light go away a few times before the TFI light (aka Trade that Fucker In light/check engine light) eventually comes on for an evap leak at 40k. The whole name of the game in service is customer retention. Keep them coming back to THIS dealership, and talking to OUR salespeople while they wait for their prepaid services (which the finance department rolls into your loan and makes interest on). It's quite amazing to witness.

Dealership customers are morons. I knew this already, but experiencing it first hand has been surreal.

I made more money in April than I did in any of the final few months of keeping the shop afloat. I consider that to be a good start, the potential is there for way more. Customers come in for scheduled services and I lay on some smarmy bullshit to get them to buy a brake flush, or top engine decarb, or whatever, or all of the above. Hot button selling points for us are either MPGs, safety, or longevity, and we have ways to sell each service any of those ways. This is usually done without ever opening the hood and nobody ever calls us out on it. I feel bad sometimes when I get somebody to sign for $500 of upsells then the 27 point inspection turns up a mechanical failure like a water pump or brakes, but it's rare that they can't afford that too.

In my defense, the customer absolutely gets every service they pay for, but whether or not it was absolutely necessary as opposed to "recommenced by time/mileage" is never part of the discussion.

I have become that which I hated, and it kind of owns. :confused:

Last Wednesday I wrote up 32 cars in a single day, and holy gently caress I can't remember what for. It's all a blur. Document everything, because I sure as hell won't remember.

At the end of the day, I'm happier working for THE MAN than being THE MAN. Also they have decent benefits like health insurance, which is important now that my wife is pregnant.

Oh yeah, I'm gonna be a dad! :toot:

Anyway. It's been real AI, I will always fondly remember the days of regaling you with bad photography of my dumpy work, but those days have come to an end.

DrPain fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 28, 2015

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Congratulations on your wife's pregnancy, I hope all goes smoothly for her and you.

Good to see you have settled down in your job. Don't be a stranger here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Grats on the future dad thing!

• Locked thread