Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
do you like institutional racism in the US?
no it seems bad
i dunno, maybe the cops have a point
hmm...not sure op
View Results

• Locked thread
Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Moridin920 posted:

the whole 'blacks commit more crime' thing is retarded because crime isn't about race, crime is about class

way to wallpaper over the black man's struggle

e: no checkbox poll, voted the thread at 1, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Moridin920 posted:

the whole 'blacks commit more crime' thing is retarded because crime isn't about race, crime is about class

i think crime is about wanting things that other people have and won't give you tbh

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Moridin920 posted:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Moridin920 posted:

white people are just classier imho

"keep it classy" is a phrase said by us white people. we care about class!!

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
yeah well go to another country and see what real open racism is like OP

Bobert Bobertson
Apr 1, 2014

1gnoirents posted:

JAPAN WILL UNDERSTAND ME

baw
Nov 5, 2008

1gnoirents posted:

i've been to other countries, it's still real bad in the US

Bobert Bobertson
Apr 1, 2014

baw posted:

i've been to other countries, it's still real bad in the US

so its not progressive enough, hmm

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

now that this thread is in dnd we can have a wise discussion about race

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart

baw
Nov 5, 2008

welp those assholes who shot the cops might derail everything

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

baw posted:

welp those assholes who shot the cops might derail everything

it shouldnt but most white people lust after any example they can point to about how wrong and evil black people just naturally are

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Another unarmed black person shot and killed.

This is the article posted before the video surfaced. sound familiar?

quote:

Police and witnesses say Scott tried to run from Slager before turning to fight for the officer's Taser. It was during that scuffle that the officer fired his service weapon, fatally wounding Scott.

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

The US is going to be very interesting when whites are no longer the majority.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah it's pretty much I didn't control for income in my data.xls

e: oh hey necro

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Zeitgueist posted:

Yeah it's pretty much I didn't control for income in my data.xls

e: oh hey necro

What's the answer when people use basic undergraduate-level statistics to include income in their models and race is still a significant factor in crime?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

on the left posted:

What's the answer when people use basic undergraduate-level statistics to include income in their models and race is still a significant factor in crime?

I guess the negro is just naturally more criminal, also their ~culture~ because rap music.

Also if you're an undergrad and you think you've proved that black people are naturally more criminal I'm going to go ahead and bet you probably hosed up.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Everyone knows undergrads put out the best research. Not black undergrads though. Bellcurve and all.

To add substance to this, maybe it could be the lifelong stress of an oppressive and racist police state.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Zeitgueist posted:

I guess the negro is just naturally more criminal, also their ~culture~ because rap music.

Also if you're an undergrad and you think you've proved that black people are naturally more criminal I'm going to go ahead and bet you probably hosed up.

I'm not saying that it's done at the undergrad level, i'm just saying that the "It's not race, just poverty" explanation is trivially debunked. It was used as an example in class when I learned multivariate regression.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

on the left posted:

I'm not saying that it's done at the undergrad level, i'm just saying that the "It's not race, just poverty" explanation is trivially debunked. It was used as an example in class when I learned multivariate regression.

Yeah how did that go over with the minorities in class?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
There are also caste factors beyond pure social class that disproportionately affect certain populations in the USA. Surely these are irrelevant to the statistical proof of crime rates correlating with the color of your skin.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

also what does "crime rate" signify

is it people being arrested/charged/convicted? 'cos, well, have i got news for you

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
US and Canada are probably the two countries where both social norms and official policy reflect the idea that "racism is bad" the most strongly. If you goons ever got out, you might realize this.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

TheImmigrant posted:

US and Canada are probably the two countries where both social norms and official policy reflect the idea that "racism is bad" the most strongly. If you goons ever got out, you might realize this.

Man good thing the TheImmigrant is here to set us straight.

Thanks bro!

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Zeitgueist posted:

Yeah how did that go over with the minorities in class?

The class was 90% minorities (Chinese/Indian) and there were no real issues.

V. Illych L. posted:

also what does "crime rate" signify

is it people being arrested/charged/convicted? 'cos, well, have i got news for you

You can use crime victimization surveys and build a predictive model of crime based on demographic factors if analysis of offenders is considered taboo.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

on the left posted:

The class was 90% minorities (Chinese/Indian) and there were no real issues.

You can use crime victimization surveys and build a predictive model of crime based on demographic factors if analysis of offenders is considered taboo.

You can also determine if crime drops in areas proportionally with a rise in incomes at a similar rate to other races which it does.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Zeitgueist posted:

You can also determine if crime drops in areas proportionally with a rise in incomes at a similar rate to other races which it does.

It does, but these parameters can be compared to one another.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

on the left posted:

It does, but these parameters can be compared to one another.

What parameters, specifically?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

TheImmigrant posted:

I dunno, I really liked western europe. Granted, almost anywhere is going to be better for asian people than the midwest

baw
Nov 5, 2008

TheImmigrant posted:

If you define racism as "using racial slurs" sure, the US is super sensitive about that.

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

No where I live is more racist!!

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

TheImmigrant posted:

You misspelled. In America, racists are bad. Racism is just a problem that there's bad people out there: racists. By e way, IM NOT A RACIST. Therefore, I need have no interest in institutional racism because I. AM. NOT. A. RACIST.

I mean the Germans might be more openly racist against Turks but their whole social structure doesn't rely on Teutons being superior to Turks either

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

eSports Chaebol posted:

I mean the Germans might be more openly racist against Turks but their whole social structure doesn't rely on Teutons being superior to Turks either

Relative rates of poverty would tell otherwise.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Pantsuit posted:

The US is going to be very interesting when whites are no longer the majority.

I personally hope whites organize into various armed wings. Preferably with pro-2nd Amendment feelings.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Germany's sole existence is due to Russian kleptocracy money. The collapse of Putin, means the collapse of a United German Republic.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
When whites become a minority, they will suddenly become victims with Soulful Wisdom and Glorious Traditions, and it will be racist to criticize them.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

TheImmigrant posted:

When whites become a minority, they will suddenly become victims with Soulful Wisdom and Glorious Traditions, and it will be racist to criticize them.

They'll start coming out in movies wearing lederhosen and/or squatting in all photos. Maybe wooden-dutch clogs will take off like wildfire in Manhattan.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Nonsense posted:

They'll start coming out in movies wearing lederhosen and/or squatting in all photos. Maybe wooden-dutch clogs will take off like wildfire in Manhattan.

Eastern Kentucky will become the new Williamsburg.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

TheImmigrant posted:

Eastern Kentucky will become the new Williamsburg.

An agreeable outcome.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

So I'm sure a few of us have seen a lot of posts on Facebook about the riots in Baltimore, likely from people who completely ignored the previous weeks of peaceful protests. There is a lot to say on the subject and it's something that really gets me pissed off, but I'll bump this thread with an excellent Vice video that contains interviews of some Baltimore citizens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wks84RJxgh0

"A riot is the language of the unheard."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

TheImmigrant posted:

Just like in South Africa, when whites were the minority.

Or those cities, like Ferguson, where whites are the minority.

• Locked thread