Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, I was hoping it would get further than that, but nevermind it's all good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah, I was hoping it would get further than that, but nevermind it's all good.

I am fine with not rushing through, and Butt Tree was pretty great as far as additions go.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Eagerly awaiting for GIFs of this episode. (Yamato's cuteness is a miracle of the universe.)

Also, Sayla is clearly the superior choice.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
One of my favorite things is Suna and Yamato coming back to help Takeo with the beam. "I'm actually pretty strong!" :3:

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
This show. It's so drat good. The butt tree had me laughing and the part with the beam and afterwards where Takeo is just out of it was hilarious.

drat, this year has some strong contenders for Anime of the year for me with Shirobako first and now this.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

im glad they kept afro dude

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Takeo, no! Please don't ruin your own romance!

Terper posted:

They padded it out with some anime original stuff (the butt tree) so it didn't go as far as I thought it would. Dammit. Now I have to keep the post I've so desperately wanted to make on hold another week.

The butt tree wasn't in the manga? What a strange thing to add.

Entertaining, but still... strange.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I could have sworn butt tree was in the manga.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Watching now. I feel like it was a missed opportunity not to have a really macho song for the OP. I guess it's still shoujo, though.

e: I didn't recognise any of the girls Takeo asks Suna about - what's the deal with the exercise/song ladies? Are they on public TV or something?

Pretty sure the butt wasn't in the manga.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 16, 2015

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Trip report: show still owns.
I've always been fond of shows that promote who would normally be a secondary character in the genre to MC-status (like Geass). It's a very welcome change of pace.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Chas McGill posted:

Watching now. I feel like it was a missed opportunity not to have a really macho song for the OP. I guess it's still shoujo, though.

e: I didn't recognise any of the girls Takeo asks Suna about - what's the deal with the exercise/song ladies? Are they on public TV or something?

Pretty sure the butt wasn't in the manga.

Shayla and Fraw Bow are Gundam characters the rest are probably just TV personalities yeah.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I checked, butt tree is anime original.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
ahhhh this show is just what I need after a long day at work :3:

Butt tree was a quality addition, fits right into Takeo & Suna's regular banter.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

This anime is absolutely weapons grade :kimchi: and that's only after 2 episodes.

I guess the big reveal didn't happen yet, so something to look forward to next week.

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012

Davincie posted:

im glad they kept afro dude

Isn't he kind of important to showing how much of a bro Takeo is?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

sunburnedcrow posted:

Uh, that's demonstrated in every scene where Takeo appears or is mentioned? Might as well claim the afro guy is needed to show that water is wet.

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

Uh, that's demonstrated in every scene where Takeo appears or is mentioned? Might as well claim the afro guy is needed to show that water is wet.

I just kinda like the christmas chapter

but anyway, my body is ready for the third episode.

sunburnedcrow fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 16, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm gaining new appreciation for Yamato thanks to this adaptation, especially her tenacity in the face of Takeo's monumental dense-ness.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Yamato is exactly the kind of spaz Takeo needs.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Her voice is still annoying. I've got a low tolerance of uguuu fake kid voices in characters who are meant to be in high school though, so maybe she isn't so bad in the wider context of squeaky breathy anime girl toddlers.

Butt tree was good because it shows Takeo can appreciate male butts.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
She is a protagonist in a shojo series that is like 95% fluffy bunnies, flowers, and sparkles, you're asking a bit much for her not to have a Standard Squeaky Shojo Voice

especially for someone so tiny, she's SO TINY

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Captain Invictus posted:

She is a protagonist in a shojo series that is like 95% fluffy bunnies, flowers, and sparkles, you're asking a bit much for her not to have a Standard Squeaky Shojo Voice

especially for someone so tiny, she's SO TINY

Yamato seems especially over the top, although the shoujo series I've watched before this have featured taller, more realistic girl leads (Chihaya, Sawako, the girls from Nodame Cantabile and Lovely Complex). I guess her voice works well in juxtaposition with Takeo's and that's the whole idea.

I'd like to hear a comedy dub with Takeo as soprano and Yamato as baritone.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

sunburnedcrow posted:

they could have easily made him look more generic, that's all. i like anime afros

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Chas McGill posted:

Yamato seems especially over the top, although the shoujo series I've watched before this have featured taller, more realistic girl leads (Chihaya, Sawako, the girls from Nodame Cantabile and Lovely Complex). I guess her voice works well in juxtaposition with Takeo's and that's the whole idea.

Most of those leads were deliberately not cutesy girly-girls though whereas Yamato's point is kind of that she is.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Most of those leads were deliberately not cutesy girly-girls though whereas Yamato's point is kind of that she is.

The whole point of this series is the subversion of the standard shoujo stuff. Takeo, in any other shoujo series, would be a side or secondary character with a love interest thrown in for him either as an afterthought or as a service for the protagonists. Instead, he's the focus of the story and the main love interest even though he still sees himself as that secondary character.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Sakurazuka posted:

She's actually pretty strong!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's why I said 'kind of'!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm screaming at the romantic misunderstandings.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Spoilers for next episode
: the misunderstandings were supposed to end this episode but it got padded out

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Am I the only one who didn't like this episode? Seriously, butttree was the only scene I actually enjoyed watching, the beam was cringeworthy and the rest were just retreading things already said in the first episode.

Captain Invictus posted:

Spoilers for next episode
: the misunderstandings were supposed to end this episode but it got padded out

I was actually thinking about dropping this, but I guess I should stick for one more. Let's hope that it happens early on

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Rexides posted:

Am I the only one who didn't like this episode? Seriously, butttree was the only scene I actually enjoyed watching, the beam was cringeworthy and the rest were just retreading things already said in the first episode.

I was actually thinking about dropping this, but I guess I should stick for one more. Let's hope that it happens early on

I am curious what about the Beam did you not like?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The beam part fuckin ruled.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It was contrived as hell, but really no more so than Takeo helping a random girl who turned out to be really into manly men. Just be glad that this isn't standard shoujo, where every man in the world (sometimes including the male lead) is a crazed rapist.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Serious Frolicking posted:

It was contrived as hell, but really no more so than Takeo helping a random girl who turned out to be really into manly men. Just be glad that this isn't standard shoujo, where every man in the world (sometimes including the male lead) is a crazed rapist.

Read better shojo.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

yeah seriously, i don't think anything i've read in years had that

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Takeo-Suna OTP.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
If you think about it the beam part is pretty contrived, but it was also the best part of the episode.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Zettace posted:

Takeo-Suna OTP.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I have a different otp but it involves a character that hasn't been introduced yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yay a prize!!

Only 2 episodes in and there's nothing I don't love about the show.

• Locked thread