Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

First episode is out and owns. Streaming on CR every Wednesday.

Ore Monogatari/My Love Story!! is a shoujo romantic comedy written by Kazune Kawahara and illustrated by Aruko and tells the story of official greatest protagonist ever Takeo Gouda and his quest to become even more awesome . There are also some other people.

Preview with some actual animation. Yamato's voice is, uh, unique, hopefully I'll get used to it... Hopefully.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2ZGWRnkdwQ

Our Characters:

Takeo Gouda
Voiced by: Takuya Eguchi

Blessed with a face only a mother anyone could love and a heart as wide as the ocean strides our hero, a giant among men. Sadly his looks are often unappreciated by the ladies. Also a total bro, whatever the problem, he's got your back.

Rinko Yamato
Voiced by Megumi Han

A gentle soul with a love of making sweets, she is saved from a train molester by our hero and is quickly won over by his manliness.

Makoto Sunakawa
Voiced by: Nobunaga Shimazaki

Takeo's best friend and blessed with the looks of a typical shoujo dude, would probably be the hero in any other series. Has a bad habit of overshadowing our hero's good deeds with his pretty boy looks, fortunately Takeo is as forgiving as he is wise. Also owns in his, uh, own way, especially since Takeo is occasionally not blessed with the brains or common sense.

So, the manga is pretty much a cute and fuzzy romcom starring the guy who by any rights should be a side character but, thrust in to the limelight, is more than capable of carrying the role of hero. There are a few other characters but so far in the translated chapters haven't done a great deal yet, the stand outs being Takeo's family, who I really don't want to say too much about as they pretty much steal any scene they're in and I don't want to ruin anything.

The anime starts on April 8th and by all accounts should be pretty awesome, it's slated to run for 24 episodes, which is twice as much as I expected and will probably cover a good amount, if not all, of the 7 volumes currently released in Japan. It's being
directed by Morio Asaka of Chihayafuru fame and also with a bunch of other people who worked on that adaptation and produced by Madhouse, who seem to be on a bit of a roll lately. There's not a whole lot of screens of the anime version yet, and I'm trying to spoil as little of the manga as possible, so hence the rather bland character portraits.

The manga is being published by Viz in the US and other places and are up to volume 3 with number 4 due out in a couple of months.
Since the show is still a few weeks out there's no details of streaming rights or anything yet (that I'm aware of).

I'd prefer it if manga readers didn't spoil too much for potential anime watchers, so please limit untagged spoilers to 'drat, Takeo is awesome', TIA.

Takeo, as drawn by Araki of Jojo fame!

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Whoops, that's true.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's a risk he runs every day.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Looks good, haven't heard any voices yet though, since I'm not busting out a Japanese trailer on my phone in the middle of family dinner.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Probably not going to care unless it's literally ear piercing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, it's almost like she's trying to sound like she's deliberately putting on a fake voice, it's kind of weird. Oh well, if that's the only not so great thing, I'm good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The manga is only up to volume 3 in English so you should buy that then the anime is gonna go way past that point.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Two weeks, bitches!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Still no streaming announcement.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's on my to do list when my niece isn't running rings around me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It got picked up my CR hurrah.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Looks like a good guy to me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, he's a bit too streamlined there, still cool though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Edit: Is there a link to a page with the images plus who drew them, Google is failing me (or I it) and don't wanna go back through 30 pages of the chat thread.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 8, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ah, that was even better than I hoped for. It had like actual animation and everything!

maybeflan posted:

Yuki Suetsugu- Chihayafuru
Eiichiro Oda- One Piece
Makoto Yukimura- Vinland Saga
Kengo Hanazawa- I Am A Hero
Yu Sasuga and Kenichi Tachibana- Terraformars

Thanks a lot!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Xelkelvos posted:

Is this going to turn into some odd Japanese version of Cyrano de Bergerac? Or is there going to be some weird all directions love triangle? Just want to know so I can brace myself for the comedy beats.

The manga manages to sidestep most of the usual shoujo drama beats in favour of the characters being generally awesome.

DrPaper posted:

Is this some sort of NTR show?

No.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Just finished the first episode, found it fairly okayish. The gags are pretty nice I am just worried this might go Kimi ni Todoke S2 on me.

It won't.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

a kitten posted:

New thread title please

I concur.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If I crack up every time just from his dad's face I will know it's a perfect adaptation.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh poo poo, it all fits.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Owns.

ViggyNash posted:

Fake Takeo owns so much but the other two look retarded. The girl looks like a dude. Hell, she probably is a dude.

shut up.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My body is ready.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Thank god there's only an hour til the next episode

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I should be asleep but gently caress it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, I was hoping it would get further than that, but nevermind it's all good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Chas McGill posted:

Watching now. I feel like it was a missed opportunity not to have a really macho song for the OP. I guess it's still shoujo, though.

e: I didn't recognise any of the girls Takeo asks Suna about - what's the deal with the exercise/song ladies? Are they on public TV or something?

Pretty sure the butt wasn't in the manga.

Shayla and Fraw Bow are Gundam characters the rest are probably just TV personalities yeah.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm gaining new appreciation for Yamato thanks to this adaptation, especially her tenacity in the face of Takeo's monumental dense-ness.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Chas McGill posted:

Yamato seems especially over the top, although the shoujo series I've watched before this have featured taller, more realistic girl leads (Chihaya, Sawako, the girls from Nodame Cantabile and Lovely Complex). I guess her voice works well in juxtaposition with Takeo's and that's the whole idea.

Most of those leads were deliberately not cutesy girly-girls though whereas Yamato's point is kind of that she is.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's why I said 'kind of'!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hate how CR lies on my queue page that the next episode is in an hour when it's actually one hour and fifty minutes.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Congratulations you're now watching one of like two shoujo romances where the couple actually gets together without 40 chapters of misundrstandings hurrah!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Devil Tesla posted:

Imagine if Suna had shown up in Kimi ni Todoke

The friends know what's going on but won't say anything because 'they need to figure it out for themselves' bit is one of the most annoying things in shoujo because jfc people the world isn't going end if you say 'oh hey turns out guy you like is totally in to you.'

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It was only really at the start of each episode but yeah, the 'what happened last week' bits seemed kind of unnecessary when not a whole lot has happened. :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Volume 4 should be out soon and possibly already is in the US????

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Okay, just checking, I saw a review of it already and last time the US vol 3 was out way before Amazon UK would let me buy it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

hmmm I concur

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I honestly don't remember the meet up going that well for the other guys in the manga, did they change that or am I just miss remembering?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

NowonSA posted:

Yeah, I was worried that they'd be completely blown off. I'm fine with it being clear that Suna is the girls' first choice, but I'm glad they also noticed the other guys and talked with them. Maybe a few of them will pair up and we'll see them later, we have a strong trio now but we could use more supporting or even minor characters with actual names.

Also, I finally caught episode 1 (I've been all over the map on this series, in terms of watching order) and I love that Takeo has a fancy monogrammed hand towel that he doesn't use at all when he soaks his head, but gives to Yamato to keep right away. Oh, and I almost stopped watching halfway through episode 3 when it seemed like they wouldn't notice each other's feelings for forever, so glad they got that out of the way early.

The series should end with a timeskip forward to Takeo and Yamato married with a kid and Takeo working in an office while Suna is a firefighter. I need to see giant grown-up Takeo going out on sales calls and attending meetings.

Okay, now I'm watching episode 3 again and I really need to see Takeo emerging from under the cot mixed with the "something badass is happening" short musical stinger from Evangelion. It's basically the decisive battle riff but slower, I'm sure it was in an episode or two. Here's a link to decisive battle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K05gPSrsE-c. If someone can track down the bit of music I'm thinking of it would soothe my wild imagination, I can always just play the two simultaneously and get the experience I desire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7PdheiAT-Y

Works well.

I wonder if it's a coincidence that the first thing I thought of when Takeo was psyching himself up to get out from under the rubble was an EVA unit going into berserk mode. :v:

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 30, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I like that they're introducing Suna's sister as an actual character way earlier than the manga.

I'm also sad we still haven't seen Takeo's dad yet.

• Locked thread