Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
E: Wrong thread, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

If you wandered into this thread by mistake, clearly you should buy an Etrian Odyssey game to practice your cartography. :colbert:

2nd post has been updated with general info about the DS trilogy. Tell me if I missed anything, blahblah you know the drill by now. If you feel like doing a writeup on anything in particular I can link to the post as well.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
A couple of minor nitpicks. Resting in EO1 isn't unlocked until level 30, unlike the rest of the games where you can do it at any time. This means that if you made a mistake in your class build, you either have to grind up a new character from scratch, or wait until level 30 to respec. I learned that the hard way. :negative:

Also the retirement bonus was much higher in EO2, +4 to all stats and +4 to skill points at level 30. And +5 to all stats and +8 to skill points at level 70.

quote:

Landsknecht, Survivalist, & Alchemist all got hit nerfed in a big way

Might want to edit that sentence there.

Rangpur posted:

Branching storyline! Still the only game that offers this, oddly enough. There's an obvious branching point in the third stratum that determines which of the two spoilered classes you get. There's also a third, 'true ending,' which is accessible on either path (though likely not without consulting the thread to find the obscure flags for it). However it's recommended you do the other two endings first to gather money and equipment for the goddamned nightmare that is EOIII's postgame.

Probably because you essentially had to play through the game 3 times in order to get everything, which didn't sit well with some people. Also, EO3's postgame is easy compared to EO1 and 2. The random encounters in this one are puppies compared to the first two games.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 16, 2015

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Also, EO3's postgame is easy compared to EO1 and 2. The random encounters in this one are puppies compared to the first two games.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Also, EO3's postgame is easy compared to EO1 and 2. The random encounters in this one are puppies compared to the first two games.

EO3 doesn't have Allslash/Kienzan, though.

Hurray for trivializing most of the postgame random encounters!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

I can't wait to see Dr. Fetus get to these guys in his LP. :allears:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Oh yeah, and you should probably tell people that quests gives you exp starting from the 3rd game. Kind of an important thing to know about.

I'm wondering why this is the only enemy in the entire game that has stun immunity and has a counter to Dominate, when not even the Ur-Child has anything like that. I'm pretty sure the only reason it can't hit through Painless is because they couldn't think up a way to counter that without outright breaking the game's rules.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

My impression of the EO3 postgame is colored heavily by the difficulty of the Abyssal God. I'll give you the 1st game, in terms of overall difficulty. EOII's postgame isn't much to write home about though. There's One Weird Trick Explorers Hate!!! on the first floor, but the rest of it is more tedious than anything else. Most random encounters get shut down by the same party that trivializes everything else in the game. Except for this rear end in a top hat, admittedly.
"Heeeeey youuuuu guyyyyysss! Come play with meeeeee~!"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It has stun immunity?! :stonk:

Oh man, I am not looking forward to fighting that in EO2U.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 16, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It has stun immunity?! :stonk:

Oh man, I am not looking forward to fighting that in EO2U.

The ONLY enemy in the game immune to it, in fact! Not even the Ur-Child is immune, which surprised me the first time I played the game. Oh, and they can be encountered with 2 Mothlords, or worse, you can encounter TWO Muckdiles at once! :shepicide:

I don't even know if this enemy is in EO2U. I haven't heard anything about it. In fact, I've heard there's an FOE in the 6th Stratum whose main purpose is to be nothing but an exp pinata.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Etrian Odyssey 5 has a website up. It's just the trailer and a background image, but I have to say, if that image is representative of the scale of the game, I'd be very pleased.

http://sq-atlus.jp/sq5/

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

I don't even know if this enemy is in EO2U. I haven't heard anything about it. In fact, I've heard there's an FOE in the 6th Stratum whose main purpose is to be nothing but an exp pinata.

Well, that'll be good for late-game leveling, at least.

I do hope that Muckdile isn't in EO2U, though. Or, at least, that it was nerfed.

gannyGrabber posted:

Etrian Odyssey 5 has a website up. It's just the trailer and a background image, but I have to say, if that image is representative of the scale of the game, I'd be very pleased.

http://sq-atlus.jp/sq5/

Volcano stratum!

Arctic stratum!

Moon stratum! :supaburn:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Climbing a giant tree straight into outer space would be a sensible escalation at this point.

Not sure what the rest of it represents, unless they plan to continue with EOIV's take on exploration. First you have to journey to Yggdrasil, then you have to climb Yggdrasil. Yeah, that's right--you all complained about the 5th Labyrinth in EOIV being too short? Well now it's an entire goddamned game all by itself!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Climb into space and figure out what the deal was with III's tree?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Rangpur posted:

Climbing a giant tree straight into outer space would be a sensible escalation at this point.

Not sure what the rest of it represents, unless they plan to continue with EOIV's take on exploration. First you have to journey to Yggdrasil, then you have to climb Yggdrasil. Yeah, that's right--you all complained about the 5th Labyrinth in EOIV being too short? Well now it's an entire goddamned game all by itself!

That would be Ok by me. 4 mini-stratums followed by a full on Yggdrasil Labyrinth sounds awesome. Add on some mini side-dungeons and I'd be sold day 1.

And if it has sub-classing again instead of Grimoires it'll be perfect.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Aw man, there's no option to carry over open chests to NG+? Laaaaame. Should be simple enough to steamroll over the game and get the last few things, then EOU will be 100%, just in time, really.

And pressing L or R hides textboxes! :aaaaa:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Treasure Chests are the most annoying thing about EOU, since you can only get all of them in Story Mode. And it has to be done in one playthrough.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Only the ones in Gladsheim though, yes? I can see why that would annoying, but it's not a hard area to fully explore.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

There's one chest in 14F that requires you to go through 3 FOEs to get, which you won't be able to do for a long time. And the reward is pretty poo poo. It's just more busywork and for a long time, these items will be useless.

But at least I did all the quests, so I can just ignore them this time.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Rangpur posted:

Only the ones in Gladsheim though, yes? I can see why that would annoying, but it's not a hard area to fully explore.

I think what they meant was that your chest progress gets wiped in NG+ so you can only get the 100% chest icon by getting all the chests in a story mode playthrough.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Is there a reason why the wilted shroom is an item compendium item with a price listed and everything? Can you get another one to sell somehow or what?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Regy Rusty posted:

Is there a reason why the wilted shroom is an item compendium item with a price listed and everything? Can you get another one to sell somehow or what?

It's listed as a monster drop because mechanically, it is a monster drop; specifically, it's a conditional drop from getting the killing blow with the special dagger. The only difference is that you never see the monster again and it's taken away in a scripted scene after the fight.

Edit: It probably had to be done this way because the scripting has no way of going back to check if you killed the monster in a specific way in order to give you a key item as with other quests. Instead, after the fight is over the script just checks if you have the conditional drop to see if you did it properly.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 17, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, some of the stuff done is like hacked together mechanics because I'm assuming they didn't want to code a lot of exceptions and stuff. Case in point, one of the postgame bosses has a conditional drop of being killed while leg bound. But leg binding it actually makes the fight a huge joke, and the normal drop is actually much more valuable and unlocks better stuff. I'm guessing they didn't want to go through the trouble of making a "don't kill while leg bound" flag for that thing when it's much easier to do it the other way around.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That's both kinda weird and kinda cool. Thanks for the explanation!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Oh, and if you're planning on getting all the endings, the best time to do that is before you go into the postgame. If you power through NG+, (There's not gonna be any options to keep anything. Everything such as open chests, the sea, and quest completion is automatically saved.) it'll take you like an hour or two to finish the main game on a NG+ run. But before going for the rest of them, load up your save file again and remember to report your mission so you can get your rewards. This applies to the Deep City ending too. If you're not planning on doing any of that, then never mind!

Also for the final boss fight, make sure to kill Olympia first. If you don't, you miss out on the exp, but more importantly, her drop.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah, some of the stuff done is like hacked together mechanics because I'm assuming they didn't want to code a lot of exceptions and stuff. Case in point, one of the postgame bosses has a conditional drop of being killed while leg bound. But leg binding it actually makes the fight a huge joke, and the normal drop is actually much more valuable and unlocks better stuff. I'm guessing they didn't want to go through the trouble of making a "don't kill while leg bound" flag for that thing when it's much easier to do it the other way around.

Yeah, that's the same sort of thing for EO4's Fallen One. It's actually much harder to get the "normal" drop (kill while unbound). I don't remember the relative value of the drops or what they make, though.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

Oh, and if you're planning on getting all the endings, the best time to do that is before you go into the postgame. If you power through NG+, (There's not gonna be any options to keep anything. Everything such as open chests, the sea, and quest completion is automatically saved.) it'll take you like an hour or two to finish the main game on a NG+ run. But before going for the rest of them, load up your save file again and remember to report your mission so you can get your rewards. This applies to the Deep City ending too. If you're not planning on doing any of that, then never mind!

Also for the final boss fight, make sure to kill Olympia first. If you don't, you miss out on the exp, but more importantly, her drop.

Ok hold on, walk me through this process. When I beat the final boss, you're saying I should immediately do NG+, speed through the story for the Deep City ending, do NG+ again, get the True Ending and then do the post game?

I've actually been meaning to ask about this, so help me determine exactly what I'm getting into. What carries over into NG+? I've never done it for either of the other two games. Am I really able to breeze through the game that quickly? If so that would be great because I'd like to see the other endings. But my worry is that, as tends to happen with games that have multiple endings, I'd get burnt out before even completing a second playthrough. That happened with Shin Megami Tensei IV for instance. If you're not exaggerating about each story run only taking a few hours then I'd be all for it. Otherwise I'd think I'd want to check out the postgame first to get as much out of my first playthrough as possible.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 17, 2015

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
The correct answer is to just play EO4 3 times instead of mucking through EO3

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

gannyGrabber posted:

Ninja/Zodiac TP Battery-fueled shenanigans sounds interesting to me, though. :(

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

You keep your guys, maps, chests, quests, classes and compendium/codex.

Going through the game at Level 50 makes it pretty easy, funnily enough.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

gannyGrabber posted:

I 100%ed EO4. It holds nothing more for me! I'd get bored before finishing the first stratum if I tried playing it again.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

gannyGrabber posted:

Except EO3 is totally more funner than EO4!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Ok hold on, walk me through this process. When I beat the final boss, you're saying I should immediately do NG+, speed through the story for the Deep City ending, do NG+ again, get the True Ending and then do the post game?

I've actually been meaning to ask about this, so help me determine exactly what I'm getting into. What carries over into NG+? I've never done it for either of the other two games. Am I really able to breeze through the game that quickly? If so that would be great because I'd like to see the other endings. But my worry is that, as tends to happen with games that have multiple endings, I'd get burnt out before even completing a second playthrough. That happened with Shin Megami Tensei IV for instance. If you're not exaggerating about each story run only taking a few hours then I'd be all for it. Otherwise I'd think I'd want to check out the postgame first to get as much out of my first playthrough as possible.

Like Crosspeice said, you keep EVERYTHING, sea quest progress, sea, you name it. You lose certain key items though, like the Moon Key, but you'll keep your Star and Sun keys. You don't have a choice in the matter though. Everything automatically carries over when you start a NG+. (This is different in the later games) This means that you can't do quests again. Shortcuts aren't kept, but you keep your maps. (Although you have to reach the floors to view them again) That said, once you complete the game once, LOAD your game and report back to the side you accepted the mission from. You'll get a ton of mission exp and a special piece of equipment you can't get anywhere else. THEN save and start the NG+. The same applies to the Deep City ending, but NOT the True ending.

Like I said, it's very quick. Your party should steamroll everything, and if you ignore all the side stuff, which is easy to do if you've already done most of it in the first playthrough. A second or third playthrough should take 2 hours at most.

Oh and more of a cosmetic thing, but the NPCs do have different dialogue depending on who you side with.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 17, 2015

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Also, the chests in Eo3 don't reset, which ordinarily wouldn't be much of a big deal except there are 8 Coupons scattered in chests around the Labyrinth that allow you to buy any item from the store at half price. Once those are used, they're gone forever.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

Also, the chests in Eo3 don't reset, which ordinarily wouldn't be much of a big deal except there are 8 Coupons scattered in chests around the Labyrinth that allow you to buy any item from the store at half price. Once those are used, they're gone forever.

I used two of these by accident because I'm a moron who speeds through the shop screen. :downs:

Alright thanks guys, I'll definitely go for all the endings. One last thing, I assume I should make sure to get all the drops for the bosses that are route dependent? Anything else I should grab before the reset?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

I used two of these by accident because I'm a moron who speeds through the shop screen. :downs:

Alright thanks guys, I'll definitely go for all the endings. One last thing, I assume I should make sure to get all the drops for the bosses that are route dependent? Anything else I should grab before the reset?

Aside from the final bosses (of which you can only fight once per playthrough and they have 100% drops anyway), the two route-specific bosses will respawn in the room they were fought in if you fought them in an earlier playthrough, so you don't need to worry about missing the rare drops.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Nah, that about covers it. If you've got anything left to do in the sea, you can pick up right where you left off as soon as you get the boat. See how fast you can complete the Labyrinth this time. Solve an ancient, secret war and reunite the cities in 3 days!

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Pureauthor posted:

Except EO3 is totally more funner than EO4!

Blaspheme!

EO3 is too complicated for my puny mind. All the classes have this weird gimmick that makes it hard to sort out, and doing a 5 gladiator team is out of the question because they're flimsy!

Maybe a 5 princess team...

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

gannyGrabber posted:

Blaspheme!

EO3 is too complicated for my puny mind. All the classes have this weird gimmick that makes it hard to sort out, and doing a 5 gladiator team is out of the question because they're flimsy!

Maybe a 5 princess team...
no

stop it :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Hey, I've gotta make my EO3 LP interesting somehow

But really, seeing how good Dr. Fetus's LP is, I do have to wonder what would be the point in a VLP of an EO game, when an SSLP just makes it so much better.

Maybe once I do some SSLPs, I'll give the EO games a shot, but right now, I don't feel like tying myself down to a long game that won't be much fun for anyone.

I'll do Link's Awakening instead. :v:

• Locked thread