Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Do a run with five farmers. With no weapons or armor. And fight all FOEs immediately. :unsmigghh:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Mar 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Do a run with five farmers.

With no weapons or armor.

And fight all FOEs immediately. :unsmigghh:

Sounds like a job for theshim.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Speaking of things that would drive a person to madness, apparently in EO2U, there's a door on B30 that has a 100% chance of spawning a shiny Muckdile. I'm not sure how accurate that is since I've only heard about this from one person, but if that's true, then yikes.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Speaking of things that would drive a person to madness, apparently in EO2U, there's a door on B30 that has a 100% chance of spawning a shiny Muckdile. I'm not sure how accurate that is since I've only heard about this from one person, but if that's true, then yikes.
Ahahahaha holy poo poo

that is the most thing imaginable

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009
Finally got my hands on a 3ds recently and just picked up EO IV. I've played the first three to hell and back, but I have this nasty habit of trying to roll with a party composition meant for post-game from the get go and making the early game needlessly difficult by building for skills that won't really shine for a long time. What are some good parties for tackling the first couple of strata? I was thinking of going with Fortress/Landsknecht in the front row and Medic/Runemaster/Sniper for the back to mirror my first party for the original way back in the day.

Is it viable to run without a Fortress or Medic in the early game? I usually prefer more aggressive parties and debuffing to boosting defense and healing. I know I'll definitely be able to pull that off later, but I was curious to know if its more trouble than its worth when starting out. Are the QR codes in the op worth nabbing for the extra items? I'm pretty much going into this blind apart from looking at the classes (including the unlockable ones) so any tips or advice about new features is appreciated.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
It's not an FOE. It's just going to run away.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I get a weird twitch in my eye just imagining it. Mmmmmaybe they're less threatening if you're level 99? It's a pretty safe bet for story mode, if only because the same 5 people get all the experience points.

Everyman posted:

Is it viable to run without a Fortress or Medic in the early game? I usually prefer more aggressive parties and debuffing to boosting defense and healing. I know I'll definitely be able to pull that off later, but I was curious to know if its more trouble than its worth when starting out. Are the QR codes in the op worth nabbing for the extra items? I'm pretty much going into this blind apart from looking at the classes (including the unlockable ones) so any tips or advice about new features is appreciated.
Possible, sure. Certain people--who will remain nameless--have been doing 5 Runemaster runs, for God's sake. EOIV probably has the smoothest curve of any game in the series. So, no Medic or Fortress would leave you with... Landsknecht/Dancer/Nightseeker Runemaster/Sniper? Probably feasible, even going in blind. Pick up Regen Waltz for your Dancer unless you want to spend a lot of extra money on items. Arcanist can do some healing too once you unlock them.

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 17, 2015

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Everyman posted:

Finally got my hands on a 3ds recently and just picked up EO IV. I've played the first three to hell and back, but I have this nasty habit of trying to roll with a party composition meant for post-game from the get go and making the early game needlessly difficult by building for skills that won't really shine for a long time. What are some good parties for tackling the first couple of strata? I was thinking of going with Fortress/Landsknecht in the front row and Medic/Runemaster/Sniper for the back to mirror my first party for the original way back in the day.

EO4 is the most fair game across the board. Basically any party is fine start to finish.

I beat the game recently with a party of 2 Nightseekers 2 Snipers and an Arcanist. theshim beat the game with 5 Runemasters. Someoen in the last thread i believe beat the game with 5 Nightseekers and then went through again and maybe beat it with a solo Fortress (I know they at least tried).

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Everyman posted:

Between healing items, other classes' healing abilities and subclassing, you can get by just fine without a Medic in EO4 (especially if you equip a Runemaster or other high TEC/TP character with the Healing Wand that you can find from one of the treasure maps, which gives you a low-level healing skill that's good enough for the early game). Fortresses aren't essential either.

FL/MRS is a perfectly viable starting party that can get you through the game, but if you want a more offensive party composition, maybe consider replacing your Fortress with a Nightseeker. They're glass cannons that can inflict a range of status ailments and do extra damage to enemies with ailments, which makes them good both for dishing out damage and for shutting down enemies. They're generally considered one of the strongest classes in the game.

NL is a pretty fragile front line, but Landsknecht's Power Break and Mind Break skills can help mitigate the damage you take early on, although once you pass level 20 you'll probably want to rest and respec to focus on Improved Link and link skills. If you wanna replace the Medic as well, maybe consider a Dancer for your front line: they're also fragile, but a third frontliner still means more characters for enemies to spread their attacks between, and they have a range of useful offensive and defensive buffs and support skills.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 17, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I don't know if that part is true, but apparently ONE bind triggers Frolic now. So much for trying to keep it from eating your party.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 17, 2015

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Oh for heaven's sake. It's starting to sound like the main reason Muckdiles exist in Untold 2 is to force you to waste your Force skills on the way to Ur-Child.

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009
Thanks for the advice, looks like I'll be throwing caution to the wind and roll without a fortress or medic for the early game. It should be a fun experience starting off that way if nothing else until more options open up and I can freely experiment with the unlocked classes and subs.

I did notice there aren't any dedicated gatherers this time around. Is it safe to assume the one point investment in the gathering skills are worth it? What about the cooking skills? Food is a new mechanic to me but, then again, its just one point.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Everyman posted:

I did notice there aren't any dedicated gatherers this time around. Is it safe to assume the one point investment in the gathering skills are worth it? What about the cooking skills? Food is a new mechanic to me but, then again, its just one point.

Yeah put the 1 point in the gathering skills. They made it so that everyone can always gather, it's just the individual spots that are limited. The gathering skills are such a small investment and let you find more stuff so it's totally worth it.

Cooking skills I never bothered with. One that might be somewhat worth it is the medic's skill that lets you cook poison food, because apparently some of those give really good boosts.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

EO4 is the most fair game across the board. Basically any party is fine start to finish.

I beat the game recently with a party of 2 Nightseekers 2 Snipers and an Arcanist. theshim beat the game with 5 Runemasters.
And 5 Medics!! :shepicide:

My party that beat the postgame actually didn't run a Fortress, for what it's worth. EO4 is extremely generous with party composition, and has the best balance of classes in the series - every class feels impactful and powerful, it's great.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I like when floors are extremely aptly named such as "Maddening abundance of gates".

I don't have good map tools for this EO3 please have mercy!

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

EO1/Untold's postgame was the best for that. All That Lives Shall Succumb. To frustration when they walk into an invisible pitfall for like the millionth loving time.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Regy Rusty posted:

I like when floors are extremely aptly named such as "Maddening abundance of gates".

I don't have good map tools for this EO3 please have mercy!

Then you're going to enjoy "Blind Plummet to the Void" and "The Tearful Thorny Trail" :getin:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rangpur posted:

EO1/Untold's postgame was the best for that. All That Lives Shall Succumb. To frustration when they walk into an invisible pitfall for like the millionth loving time.

Oh yes I remember... at least Untold you could see the pits though. And then in the teleport mazes in Untold and 4 I had sufficient symbols to make easily unambiguous teleporter connections.

My previous favorite floor name was Untold's B19F "An excursion into despair"

psudonym55
Nov 23, 2014
Speaking of Untold how much defense do you have to gain or lose for it to really make a difference in the amount of damage you take from getting hit.
For example my alchemist is currently wearing boots that give 16 defense and 4 tec and I'm thinking of replacing them with a ring that gives 5 tec, 5 agl and 100tp.
Is that loss of 16 defense gonna make a huge difference in damage he takes?

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009
Oh wow EO IV is really neat so far. Being dropped into a mini-dungeon for the first trial instead of the labyrinth proper was pretty cool, and it was pretty surprising to get the skyship right after!

I have a similar question like psydonym's: I remember triple accessory shenanigans in EO III but its been a loooong time since I played so I don't really recall the significance of armor. Can I get away with just filling up on accessories from the get go, or am I going to be regretting that choice? I honestly just don't remember the significance of def and if I accessory stacked anything other that crush/slash/pierce resistance gear in III.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Everyman posted:

Oh wow EO IV is really neat so far. Being dropped into a mini-dungeon for the first trial instead of the labyrinth proper was pretty cool, and it was pretty surprising to get the skyship right after!

I have a similar question like psydonym's: I remember triple accessory shenanigans in EO III but its been a loooong time since I played so I don't really recall the significance of armor. Can I get away with just filling up on accessories from the get go, or am I going to be regretting that choice? I honestly just don't remember the significance of def and if I accessory stacked anything other that crush/slash/pierce resistance gear in III.

Armor sucked in EO3 because the damage formulas effectively made them a 1/3 as effective as the listed value. (A piece of armor that had 30 DEF essentially provided 10 DEF.) I don't know how good armor is in EO4, but you don't have a choice in the matter here. They nerfed accessory stacking by taking it away. You can only equip one accessory at a time now.

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009
Well that makes gear choices considerably easier to make, thanks.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

So what skills do people go for as a Monk/Prince in the late game? I've got my protect order shenanigans healing absurd amounts constantly so I'm wondering where else to stick my skill points. I've got one point in Prevent Order, is it worthwhile to max that just for the lowered TP? Should I go for Attack Order next? The Prince's passive heals don't seem very useful, aside from Monarch March, and really that would've been better for the early game. Not much point in going for it now.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

So what skills do people go for as a Monk/Prince in the late game? I've got my protect order shenanigans healing absurd amounts constantly so I'm wondering where else to stick my skill points. I've got one point in Prevent Order, is it worthwhile to max that just for the lowered TP? Should I go for Attack Order next? The Prince's passive heals don't seem very useful, aside from Monarch March, and really that would've been better for the early game. Not much point in going for it now.

Monarch March is still useful throughout the game, but I would only put 5 points in it at max. Anymore is a waste. That amount of passive healing will save your Monk a ton of TP. Attack Order is very good since that's a 45% damage boost to physical attacks. Don't max Prevent Order, that's a waste of skill points. Maybe max out Party heal in case of emergencies. It's also useful when you want to use attack buffs instead of a heal buff. Also a certain boss does not like your party using too many buffs.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I leaned on Prevent Order so hard, I loved that goddamn skill. Ad Nihilo can be somewhat useful. I'm also a silly person and ran Prince/x and Monk/Prince in the same party with the Prince main mostly buffing and using Regal Radiance/Ad Nihilo.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Also a certain boss does not like your party using too many buffs.
:vd:

A point in Ad Nihilo and Inspire are pretty good to have, if you don't already.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
My favourite EO floor name is still Half-Mad From Self-Doubt for the teleporter maze in Claret Hollows.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

And even though Knighthood is kinda bugged, it's bugged in a specific way that I somehow managed to work with, so you can experiment with that a bit.

Shabadu posted:

I leaned on Prevent Order so hard, I loved that goddamn skill. Ad Nihilo can be somewhat useful. I'm also a silly person and ran Prince/x and Monk/Prince in the same party with the Prince main mostly buffing and using Regal Radiance/Ad Nihilo.

Pfft, by the endgame, I had a party of Y/H, P/F, A/G, Z/N, M/B. The Farmer subclass means you never have to carry Ariadne Thread again and make actual use of campsites and also most of the skill points made my Princess a buffing machine. Buccaneer was just so my Monk has something to do when she wasn't healing. Otherwise, it was setting up both the Arbalist and Zodiac to nuke things into oblivion. It was great.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh god Alraune is in this game oh no

I'm having EOU PTSD flashbacks.

E: She's a bit strong

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Everyman posted:

Is it viable to run without a Fortress or Medic in the early game?

I ran Fort/Dancer/Nightseeker/Sniper/Medic for the first two strata. I didn't have problems except the Medic being either useless or struggling to keep up.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Regy Rusty posted:

Oh god Alraune is in this game oh no

I'm having EOU PTSD flashbacks.

E: She's a bit strong

3rd hardest boss in the game in my opinion.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hivac posted:

3rd hardest boss in the game in my opinion.

Only the Blizzard King and Yggrasil Core were harder for me in EOU so I'm not surprised.

I'll... save her for the post post post game.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

The... Blizzard King? I suppose the battle's pretty long, but I found the Wyrm harder since it lowers your attack and has the most health. Storm Emperor would've been slightly annoying with status and binds and whatnot if my Ronin didn't do 2500 damage per Flame Grater. :black101:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Crosspeice posted:

The... Blizzard King? I suppose the battle's pretty long, but I found the Wyrm harder since it lowers your attack and has the most health. Storm Emperor would've been slightly annoying with status and binds and whatnot if my Ronin didn't do 2500 damage per Flame Grater. :black101:

The Great Dragon was pathetically easy in EOU which really surprised me since he had more health and was the third one in the quest order. I posted about this at the time and people in the old thread said that Blizzard King is always the hardest one. :shrug:

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Everyman posted:

Basically just do 3 landsknechts up front. The other 2 spots don't really matter.

--

Useful post: Fortress and medic aren't hugely important. Actually, even at the end of the game you don't need them! Items are very strong and useful in EO4, and money is not hard to come by. You can also use burst skills to spot heal or shore up your defenses if needed.

Just pick whichever 5 characters you think seem the most interesting and you'll be perfectly fine with whatever you've picked.

theshim
May 1, 2012

5 Landsharks is a viable build! :hfive: Also distinctly less stupid than 5 Medics or Runemasters.

Basically the game gives you enough tools to work with that virtually any combination can beat the game. I know a guy who beat it with three Dancers. EO4 is super super friendly while still perfectly happy to murder you with butterflies, so you can really just go with whatever you think sounds cool and it'll work out! :buddy:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

I don't know if that part is true, but apparently ONE bind triggers Frolic now. So much for trying to keep it from eating your party.

What?! Why?!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
EO4 tip: Just run a Arcanist/Medic and it'll support everything else you try regardless of what it is or how it works.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

The Great Dragon was pathetically easy in EOU which really surprised me since he had more health and was the third one in the quest order. I posted about this at the time and people in the old thread said that Blizzard King is always the hardest one. :shrug:

It's the opposite in EO3 The Blizzard King/Drake in EO3 isn't hard, just really annoying to take down. He's unlikely to kill your party, but the fight will drag on a long time. Storm Emperor/Dragon on the other hand is the hardest of the 3 to kill. The Great Dragon/Wyrm is just all around pathetic in EO3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Anyone know how to get to the fourth foothold in EO3? I just made it to the 5th stratum, and I've got every sailing item till that point.

• Locked thread