Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
Costco booze is actually great, and dirt cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Alright I'm at least going to try taking a look at the booze next week.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Grem posted:

I don't drink clear spirits but if you like whiskey then look for some kickass deals there. Last time they had Blanton's single barrel bourbon for like $42 a bottle.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
In some states you don't need a membership to buy booze at Costco. One weird trick!

But get a membership anyway because Costco rules.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Hot tip: Costco has an Auto Program, where they work as the middleman with local car dealerships to get you the best possible deals on cars, with no haggling. I ended up getting a 2015 Honda Fit last month from a local dealership after going through Costco, they treated me very well, and I got the best price in town, a few thousand less than everywhere else. Definitely look into this if you're in the market for a car.

As for the rest:
Ground bison (perfect for rare sliders on King's Hawaiian rolls that I also buy there)
The best tortillas I've ever had outside of San Antonio, TX and San Jose, CA (Tortillaland brand, from the refrigerated case)
Better vegetarian stuffed grape leaves than what I've had at most Mediterranean and Middle Eastern restaurants (Frankly Fresh brand, from the refrigerated case)
Lamb loin chops
Nova salmon (Acme brand)
Huge jars of pickled herring (Blue Hill Bay/Acme brand)
1,000 ibuprofen (generic Advil) for $10

And they're a great, socially-conscious company that pays and treats their employees very well. I feel pride when I shop there, that I'm supporting a good business run by good people.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou has a new favorite as of 03:47 on Mar 12, 2015

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Sorry, double-posted.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Devil Wears Wings posted:

It's actually extraordinarily lean and something like 1/2 the calories of ground beef. Makes great burgers (but cook 'em on the skillet - they're too delicate for most grills) and chili and shepherd's pies and stuffed peppers and anything else you like.

The price at Costco works out to a little over $7/lb which is not much money for a game meat.

drat... you might have just sold me on a Costco membership.

I'll have to check to see if they have it at the local shop, but if they do, I'ma make some bison chili.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Aesop Poprock posted:

I'd estimate like 1/4 of our local Costco's employees are Mennonite girls and women which led me to think it was a religious company for a long period of time but nope, they just love hiring a lopsided amount of Mennonite girls for some reason

When you apply to work there they ask if you have family working at Costco. It's like a mini-referral. Those girls in your area are probably all utilizing that.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Welcome to Costco I love you.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
Costco in Canada is OK, probably not as good/as many things going for it as in US&A

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Costco, #1 purveyor of giant bags of frozen things.

Honorable Mentions:
  • 6 lb bag of store brand frozen vegetables
  • 10 lb bag of perdue frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts @$2/lb

Also, the rotisserie chickens and hot dogs are amazing. Exterior-facing chicken & lunch counters for walk-up and drive-thru would have every fast food joint in the US filing suit.

Gogo Logo
Nov 11, 2008

Accretionist posted:

Also, the rotisserie chickens and hot dogs are amazing. Exterior-facing chicken & lunch counters for walk-up and drive-thru would have every fast food joint in the US filing suit.

Totally forgot about their rotisserie chicken. They had a lemon rub at one point that was amazing, but they've gotten rid of it at my local ones.

Gogo Logo has a new favorite as of 09:10 on Mar 12, 2015

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Grem posted:

Check the label on the Kirkland stuff. Its often just much better brands with the label switched. I have "Kirkland" vodka produced and bottled by Grey Goose...

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Huge $13 Cheesecakes
:btroll:

Rysithusiku posted:

Check the label on the Kirkland stuff. Its often just much better brands with the label switched. I have "Kirkland" vodka produced and bottled by Grey Goose...

You know what else is produced and bottled by Grey Goose? Pinnacle.

Just because it's the same distillery, it doesn't mean it's the same poo poo.

Clitch has a new favorite as of 01:04 on Mar 13, 2015

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

Costco in Canada is OK, probably not as good/as many things going for it as in US&A

Trout's cheaper than the local grocery stores and you get enormous loving filets

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Their beer is kinda lovely though, it's mostly manufactured (at least around here) by a company best known for running a chain of mediocre brew pub/D&B type places.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I don't have a membership but sometimes I tail a friend and pick up just a mountain of Kirkland beer and Wasabi almonds.

Lipumira
May 6, 2007

FIRE!
Roasted Seaweed
All that cheeeeeeese
BIG tubs of Fage yogurt for the price of little tubs
SO MANY BATTERIES!
Fresh seafood road show time!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This thread prompted me to look into how much a Costco membership actually is and that's not much at all.

I think I might sign up this weekend.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Lipumira posted:

BIG tubs of Fage yogurt for the price of little tubs

This is indeed amazing. Fage is the best Greek yogurt but it's so goddamn expensive otherwise.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

2 giant containers of JIF peanut butter for $9

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Aphrodite posted:

This thread prompted me to look into how much a Costco membership actually is and that's not much at all.

I think I might sign up this weekend.

Plus if you're a dick, on day 364 you can say you aren't happy and get a full refund.

Mmmm Pie
Jun 17, 2007
Me like pie
Gigantic packages of decent toilet paper, and boxes of garbage bags that should last you a lifetime.

Cases of cheap prosecco.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

One time I bought a folding table at Costco, and the cashier packed it in the cart like this.

That cashier is going places.

Mmmm Pie posted:

Gigantic packages of decent toilet paper, and boxes of garbage bags that should last you a lifetime.
The problem with this is that if you buy the sixteen cubic yards of toilet paper, it's easy to get it in your head that you will never have to buy toilet paper again and then it feels like a terrible betrayal when you run out. "What the gently caress, man, I just bought toilet paper like eight months ago!"

But there are many awesome things to compensate for this, like the frozen salmon burgers and surprisingly good olive oil and pretty nice underpants and the aforementioned booze. Costco has Amish Country eggnog starting starting around Halloween every year and that poo poo is amazing.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Grem posted:

Oh that's a good one. Except I buy frozen chicken and stuff. I can't be expected to stop for a hot dog on my way out man, poo poo is thawing as we speak!

If you stopped being the particular kind of weirdo that thinks chicken is going to flash-rot if it's out of the freezer for fifteen minutes, your life would be a lot easier

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Welcome to Costco. I love you.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Man, we only got a Sams Club here, and its no where near as awesome as the way you guys are making Costco sound.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I usually have the most boring Costco shopping cart. Big rear end bag of chicken, couple of bags of spinach, mushrooms, bell peppers, yoghurt, giant bags of popcorn and those awesome huge peanuts, and big bags of apples. The honeycrisps were SO GOOD but we don't have them up here anymore.

It's like 70 bucks and 2 weeks of groceries right there. So good.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

MA-Horus posted:

I usually have the most boring Costco shopping cart. Big rear end bag of chicken, couple of bags of spinach, mushrooms, bell peppers, yoghurt, giant bags of popcorn and those awesome huge peanuts, and big bags of apples. The honeycrisps were SO GOOD but we don't have them up here anymore.

It's like 70 bucks and 2 weeks of groceries right there. So good.
Buying lots of cheap healthy food at Costco and feeling smug about the pallets and pallets of horrible crap in other people's carts is another awesome thing about Costco.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
We have Sams and Costco here. The people that work at Costco (especially the ones that have been there for a while) are the meanest, most aloof shitheads I've ever dealt with. They for real roll their eyes when you ask them to do something. One door attendant pretty much screamed at us when he didn't see me waving my dumb loving membership card at him as I went in (totally not because he was talking with one of the vision center girls), resulting in a shouting match between him and my wife that a manager had to break up.

Some of their services are good. I used to buy meat there until I got a pack of beef that was totally spoiled on the bottom (smelled like rotten milk and was green). We still go there from time to time because they do beat Sams on the quality of electronics they carry but while Sams might be a smidge more ghetto, the staff are always super friendly and don't make you feel like poo poo for daring to shop there.

So my favorite thing about Costco are the electronics and the fact that I don't have to go there very often. Also one time Costco had these huge crates filled with mangos and this big weird looking spider crawled out and was chilling on top of them.

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

We have Sams and Costco here. The people that work at Costco (especially the ones that have been there for a while) are the meanest, most aloof shitheads I've ever dealt with. They for real roll their eyes when you ask them to do something. One door attendant pretty much screamed at us when he didn't see me waving my dumb loving membership card at him as I went in (totally not because he was talking with one of the vision center girls), resulting in a shouting match between him and my wife that a manager had to break up.

Some of their services are good. I used to buy meat there until I got a pack of beef that was totally spoiled on the bottom (smelled like rotten milk and was green). We still go there from time to time because they do beat Sams on the quality of electronics they carry but while Sams might be a smidge more ghetto, the staff are always super friendly and don't make you feel like poo poo for daring to shop there.

So my favorite thing about Costco are the electronics and the fact that I don't have to go there very often. Also one time Costco had these huge crates filled with mangos and this big weird looking spider crawled out and was chilling on top of them.

What location is this?

This is basically the opposite of any costco I've been to, they've all been anti-septic and hyper-functionalist inside. It's like shopping in a modern car factory. Super-clean, but somehow off-putting.

Weirdly good pre-made pesto, too.
Oh, and tons of pretty good boneless chicken for $2.79 a pound. And easy car rental discounts.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
Jacksonville, Fl.

Some of the people that work there seem okay, mainly the meat/bakery people- I took the bad meat back that afternoon and the butcher just opened the bag and caught a whiff and seemed genuinely horrified. I don't know how it works- if manning the entrances/exits are coveted positions for veterans but there are a couple of guys that always do it and they are such miserable bastards- makes me not even want to go.

This store is the only one between Savannah and Orlando and is really busy and the store is kept very clean but good settings don't excuse people being giant assholes.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
No one has mentioned the gas?! Generally their gas prices are a full 5-12 cents lower than the rest of the surrounding gas stations. We make a monthly trip and fill up and probably save enough on our membership on just gas alone to justify it. Plus, if you catch their sales you can get new Blu Rays dirt cheap, pots and pans, and even diapers for mega cheap prices.

Costco is just the best place to shop. You still gotta be careful though, because if poo poo ISN'T on sale its easy to get carried away and buy way more than you could possibly use in a realistic time period.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

Jacksonville, Fl.

Some of the people that work there seem okay, mainly the meat/bakery people- I took the bad meat back that afternoon and the butcher just opened the bag and caught a whiff and seemed genuinely horrified. I don't know how it works- if manning the entrances/exits are coveted positions for veterans but there are a couple of guys that always do it and they are such miserable bastards- makes me not even want to go.

This store is the only one between Savannah and Orlando and is really busy and the store is kept very clean but good settings don't excuse people being giant assholes.

I have been to like 5 or 6 costcos and never had a bad employee experience.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
- The frozen salmon burgers are delicious and SO easy to prepare
- Dried fruit: mangos, blueberries, prunes
- 5 lb. bags of red delicious apples
- Chopped broccoli florets
- The 500+ calorie muffins
- The 24 packs of Monster energy drinks are the cheapest I've found anywhere.
- Costco brand plain Greek yogurt
- And of course, free samples!! :byodame:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Whoa, hang on: If I love Chobani but think it's too expensive, would I love Costco's greek yogurt? And I am willing to stir in my own honey.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Accretionist posted:

Whoa, hang on: If I love Chobani but think it's too expensive, would I love Costco's greek yogurt? And I am willing to stir in my own honey.

Probably, yes. They also sell variety packs of the Fage Total 0% yogurts with the sidecars of fruit and they are de-licious.

Also, those loving salmon burgers. I eat them at least once a week because they're such a good, healthy "gently caress it I don't feel like spending more than 10 minutes cooking" meal.

Lipumira
May 6, 2007

FIRE!
They just (?) started carrying packs of rotisserie chicken breast and drat that's good. I *almost* went back today specifically for them then came to my senses and realized it was Sunday and that I didn't hate myself that much.

Can't say it enough.. Fage Fage Fage. Mine doesn't have the individual packs, but it's amazing now how much yogurt I go through.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Accretionist posted:

We are in this boat. We switched to Kirkland and never looked back. Plus, the Chobani comes with peach and I HATE peach, while Kirkland offered, I think, 3 more cups and was 2 bucks cheaper and didn't have Peach. Win/win/win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Costco is poo poo if you're single and lonely.

Yea I don't need 2kg of ham and 4 loaves of bread for this week's lunches, thank you very much.

Protip: if you see someone buying several tins of Durex prophylactics, 48 boxes of kleenex, a dozen towels and a mattress , they are totally running a bawdy house.

• Locked thread