Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

smooth jazz posted:

Costco is poo poo if you're single and lonely.

Yea I don't need 2kg of ham and 4 loaves of bread for this week's lunches, thank you very much.

Protip: if you see someone buying several tins of Durex prophylactics, 48 boxes of kleenex, a dozen towels and a mattress , they are totally running a bawdy house.

Suburban swingers out at Costco, just stocking up for the orgy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Welcome to Costco, I love you.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

amityville anus posted:

Welcome to Costco, I love you.

FYI this ceased to be funny after the first time

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

We have Sams and Costco here. The people that work at Costco (especially the ones that have been there for a while) are the meanest, most aloof shitheads I've ever dealt with. They for real roll their eyes when you ask them to do something. One door attendant pretty much screamed at us when he didn't see me waving my dumb loving membership card at him as I went in (totally not because he was talking with one of the vision center girls), resulting in a shouting match between him and my wife that a manager had to break up.

Our costco always has tons of cashiers, never enough as its been said, but what they only have one of is receipt checkers. Last week there was a good 30 people cart to cart lined up and rather than just eyeballing the cart and highlighting like they do at sams she was seriously moving stuff around in carts to count stuff.

Not to start the debate here, yes I know its part of the membership agreement, I just walked out holding the receipt up in the air as I passed. She started yelling and I just kept walking. Nobody karate kicked me in the leg so I guess I'm a bit luckier.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
Welcome to Costco, gently caress you I'm eating.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Devil Wears Wings posted:

FYI this ceased to be funny after the first time

no1curr

Dangit Ronpaul
May 12, 2009

Blackchamber posted:

receipt checkers

i too like to be treated like a criminal every time i shop

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Blackchamber posted:

Our costco always has tons of cashiers, never enough as its been said, but what they only have one of is receipt checkers. Last week there was a good 30 people cart to cart lined up and rather than just eyeballing the cart and highlighting like they do at sams she was seriously moving stuff around in carts to count stuff.

Yeah, by and large the people working at the Costco around here are about the best workers you'll ever encounter in retail, the only exception is when they put old people that take their job way too seriously in charge of receipt checking.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

smooth jazz posted:

Costco is poo poo if you're single and lonely.

Yea I don't need 2kg of ham and 4 loaves of bread for this week's lunches, thank you very much.
What you need is a chest freezer.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Dangit Ronpaul posted:

i too like to be treated like a criminal every time i shop

No, they clearly state that they are checking your receipt to ensure you weren't incorrectly charged for items at the register. Because the person checking receipts knows the prices of EVERYTHING in the store and whats on sale, and scan the footlong piece of paper and immediately spot errors.

edit: I'm going to try something next time a conga line forms at the exit. As long as I don't have a big ticket item I might need to return, I'm going to walk by again. When they ask for my receipt I'll hand it to them without stopping and tell them they can keep it.

Blackchamber has a new favorite as of 18:57 on Mar 16, 2015

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
They have really nice flower bouquets that are cheap, and the vitamins, supplements, and whey protein are all cheaper than even Amazon has.

I bought my tv there at an awesome price.

You can split your membership with someone and get an even better deal.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
I honestly don't mind them checking the receipts. Our Costco almost always has two checkers but one of them is another one of the jerks and if the people aren't lining up in perfect pairs, he yells at them to line up better. He also yells at you if there's some shop owner with three flat carts full of poo poo that you can't get around but you're expected to push them out of the way or something. But they really do check your carts there. At Sams, the people never even look at your cart and just swipe it with the highlighter. I do kinda wonder what their rates of theft are- I think everything small enough to be fit in a purse/pocket is kept locked up. They even put the batteries into big plastic packages now.

Dunk Bot 3000
Mar 19, 2009
They don't stick inventory control devices on their items, they don't have those annoying door alarms, no TVs hanging in the aisles to show you're being watched and the liquor and other stealable poo poo is all left unlocked for anyone to pick up.

But oh jeez someone wants to make sure the number of items in my cart matches the number listed on my receipt, what is this guantanamo? gently caress

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

My parents don't bother cooking anymore because all us kids moved out and there''s a costco about 5 minutes away from their house. Turns out food from costco has a very specific taste to it that I can't put my finger on.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Costco is loving great to shop at for non-perishables. I can't go through bread quickly enough to buy any there.

There is this one lady who works at the one near me, she's like 50 and Russian, and she's terrible. She was in charge of getting me signed up for membership, and she was absolutely no help at all.
"it won't work" :geno:
"why, what's wrong?" :confused:
"it's not working" :geno:
"yes, you mentioned that already. why not?" :confused:
"it's just not working, come back later" :geno:

The worst part is, she had a thing on her name badge saying she's worked there for more than 10 years?! She kept two of my friends from getting signed up too. Just like I did, they had to go back on her off day just to get a membership

Edit: Are Costco steaks and meat any good? I'm hesitant to buy any for fear of not cooking enough at a time

blunt for century has a new favorite as of 02:00 on Mar 17, 2015

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Dunk Bot 3000 posted:

They don't stick inventory control devices on their items, they don't have those annoying door alarms, no TVs hanging in the aisles to show you're being watched and the liquor and other stealable poo poo is all left unlocked for anyone to pick up.

But oh jeez someone wants to make sure the number of items in my cart matches the number listed on my receipt, what is this guantanamo? gently caress

A lot of places that don't use tags, have door alarms, and dont have cctv monitors visible don't check receipts.

The point that is being made is that its a bit pointless to hold people up in line on the way out to check just whats in the cart, where someone who is stealing WOULDN'T put the item. And thats really what were talking about, not loss prevention or being treated like a criminal but standing just as long a line to get out as you did to get to the register. People value their time differently though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A man who buys 120 rolls of toilet paper has places to be.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Blackchamber posted:

A lot of places that don't use tags, have door alarms, and dont have cctv monitors visible don't check receipts.

The point that is being made is that its a bit pointless to hold people up in line on the way out to check just whats in the cart, where someone who is stealing WOULDN'T put the item. And thats really what were talking about, not loss prevention or being treated like a criminal but standing just as long a line to get out as you did to get to the register. People value their time differently though.

You're right. That time I went at noon on a Saturday and waited 6 minutes in line for the cashier wasn't so bad, but the extra 45 seconds waiting for the receipt checker was a maddening waste of time that was frankly unacceptable to a 21st century man of industry like myself.

I also like to :smug: up the cashiers at every store by saying "You don't need to see my ID, my credit card is signed on the back and per Visa's merchant agreement you're not allowed to ask"

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

A man who buys 120 rolls of toilet paper has places to be.
Hopefully he has a place to go :ohdear:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

canyoneer posted:

You're right. That time I went at noon on a Saturday and waited 6 minutes in line for the cashier wasn't so bad, but the extra 45 seconds waiting for the receipt checker was a maddening waste of time that was frankly unacceptable to a 21st century man of industry like myself.

I also like to :smug: up the cashiers at every store by saying "You don't need to see my ID, my credit card is signed on the back and per Visa's merchant agreement you're not allowed to ask"

Costco doesn't take Visa!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Aphrodite posted:

http://www.businessinsider.com/costco-co-branding-agreement-with-visa-citi-2015-3

They will soon! :woop:

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Uh, that can't be right because I used my Visa to buy groceries just last week. They certainly don't take visa CREDIT cards, but it doesn't seem like they discriminate on debit cards.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

blunt for century posted:

Edit: Are Costco steaks and meat any good? I'm hesitant to buy any for fear of not cooking enough at a time

Costco steak owns, and they have USDA Prime at a good price. You can put the stuff you don't plan on eating immediately in the freezer and it'll be fine month later. Not as good as fresh but still not bad at all.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gin_Rummy posted:

Uh, that can't be right because I used my Visa to buy groceries just last week. They certainly don't take visa CREDIT cards, but it doesn't seem like they discriminate on debit cards.

Yeah, they only take Amex for credit. MasterCard in Canada.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.
I go for the peanuts.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Ok fuckers, I'm gonna go to costco later this week and check it out and maybe sign up for a membership.

So far I have ground bison and salmon patties/burgers on my list. Anything else that's awesome and magical and amazing that Sam's doesn't have?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can't check it out without signing up first, unless you're a member's guest.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
They don't let you wander around before signing up? Even Sam's lets you just wander a bit, you just can't check out until you are a member.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
The Sams here won't let you in unless you have a card, you can go to the snack bar or to the liquor store but that's it.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Grem posted:

So here's some good things so I don't feel like I wasted my money:

They treat their employees nice and pay them well!

There's also lots of registers open (not ever enough, but still), so at least they know that the lines are a bitch and try to keep it from happening.

$200 keeps my family fed for a month sometimes.

All very good points, and reasons I'm looking at a membership (currently borrow a friend's so I can get some sweet bulk food, $200 for you literally lasts me like 2-3 months)

The fact that the owner treats employees well and pays a good living wage while providing decent benefits and still making money hand over fist is proof that other companies are doing something wrong and being greedy assfaces

That and one of my buddies at work talked about how he *almost* bought a giant barrel of Jack Daniels but it was something like $1000+, he regularly gets the Costco branded vodka there and I'm surprised he still has a liver

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
50 lb sack of flour. That's the flour I need for a good long while. No more fretting about having flour.

Also, salmon burgers.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Pick posted:

50 lb sack of flour. That's the flour I need for a good long while. No more fretting about having flour.

Also, salmon burgers.

Oh poo poo, I haven't had their salmon burgers since I was in highschool, those things are tasty as gently caress

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

netwerk23 posted:

I go for the peanuts.

So what you're saying is only the super extra-large peanuts are sufficient for your gaping hole?

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

They don't let you wander around before signing up? Even Sam's lets you just wander a bit, you just can't check out until you are a member.

Say pharmacy and walk past

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
If I was a bum I would get a membership and just walk threw eating up free samples three-four times a day. The last time I was there I filled up on salmon crackers.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

You can use your Costco membership anywhere in the world. A Costco Taiwan membership works fine in the United States.

Their online photo system works great and is a cheap way to get lots of prints fast.

Costco electronics come with peace of mind, I think the return window is at least 6 months so buyer's regret isn't as much of a worry.

They brought cheaper booze to WA state. They spent like $27 million on a ballot initiative to get it privatized.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Mojo Threepwood posted:

Costco electronics come with peace of mind, I think the return window is at least 6 months so buyer's regret isn't as much of a worry.

Have they shortened it? It used to be lifetime for anything that wasn't a computer or an Apple product. My friend returned an almost ten year old crock pot once and all the guy said was something to the tune of "Yeah you're supposed to get more than eight years out of one of these, I can't believe it broke!"

I was frankly astounded.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Have they shortened it? It used to be lifetime for anything that wasn't a computer or an Apple product. My friend returned an almost ten year old crock pot once and all the guy said was something to the tune of "Yeah you're supposed to get more than eight years out of one of these, I can't believe it broke!"

I was frankly astounded.

They changed it to a 90 day return policy for most electronics, but added a two year warranty for TV's and computers.

IIRC, they made the change after realizing that some people were basically using the old policy to effectively "rent" electronics, or would buy something, wait for a newer model to come out, and then return the original purchase to get what was effectively a free upgrade.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

azflyboy posted:

They changed it to a 90 day return policy for most electronics, but added a two year warranty for TV's and computers.

IIRC, they made the change after realizing that some people were basically using the old policy to effectively "rent" electronics, or would buy something, wait for a newer model to come out, and then return the original purchase to get what was effectively a free upgrade.

Treat the customer well and they will still gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

azflyboy posted:

Oh I didn't know it was only 90 days now. Yeah it was definitely a case of some bad apples ruining for everyone. When someone brought in a 10 year old TV that worked fine and gets their money back, it was a total loss for Costco. That can't be put back on the shelf or sent back to the vendor, just a big margin hit.

• Locked thread