Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA
In Chicago, what I love is that there's a "secret" Costco that's almost totally empty and a dream to go to, whereas the other one that is more well known is a mad house.

As for products:
- San Francisco Bay k-cups which are 99% recyclable, each can make 2 decent cups of reasonably OK coffee, and $26 for 80.
- 5 lb. bags of Quinoa for ~$20
- Tortilla crusted tilapia fillets
- Mini quiches
- Gigantic bags of kale for stupid low prices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Mannnnnn Food Lion/Walmart/ETC suck so hard I'm getting a Costco membership asap.

Seriously Safe
Sep 7, 2009

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

You got to bring dogge inside? :3:

We have an outdoor snack bar at the Costco where I live, and he was hardly bigger than a soda can back then, anyway. I carried him most of the way.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I just bought like a 20 pack of Irish Spring soap there for $6.99 when an 8 pack at Walmart is hovering close to $4. Also, a 96 pack of Dixon Ticonderoga pencils for $8.99 because I'm a wood pencil hipster.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I always thought their alcohol selection prices were about standard. Bulk or not (not gonna sit here and tell you everything else is the same price as a grocery store tho because I need 10lbs of cheap frozen chicken)

What should I be looking for?

Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006
Just one spray keeps bad karma away!
I went there because the prices on prescriptions were ridiculously low compared to everywhere else.

I got my dog's (rip :( ) 3 crazy drugs for a combined of, like, 30 or 40 dollars without a membership (they have a price-lowering scheme for uninsured members... which the dog counted as when I got a membership) when one of the drugs was like EIGHTY-TWO loving DOLLARS at the next cheapest joint. If you don't have insurance, Costco owns loving bones, and you don't need a membership to get in.

Also they have my favorite trail mix ever just because the raisins in it aren't dried up and nasty and hard. The frozen pizzas were ok too they were 3 decent pizzas for 10 dollars. We used to get the two loafs of the nice bread there but now-a-days we don't eat bread enough for that.

The coffee-shake thing at the food-line is also good and the chicken bake is p nice. The pizza's my usual, though.

How is the Amex card they offer?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Karma Guard posted:

Was wondering the same thing. I keep forgetting my CC won't work there

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Karma Guard posted:

I went there because the prices on prescriptions were ridiculously low compared to everywhere else.

I got my dog's (rip :( ) 3 crazy drugs for a combined of, like, 30 or 40 dollars without a membership (they have a price-lowering scheme for uninsured members... which the dog counted as when I got a membership) when one of the drugs was like EIGHTY-TWO loving DOLLARS at the next cheapest joint. If you don't have insurance, Costco owns loving bones, and you don't need a membership to get in.

Also they have my favorite trail mix ever just because the raisins in it aren't dried up and nasty and hard. The frozen pizzas were ok too they were 3 decent pizzas for 10 dollars. We used to get the two loafs of the nice bread there but now-a-days we don't eat bread enough for that.

The coffee-shake thing at the food-line is also good and the chicken bake is p nice. The pizza's my usual, though.

Amex card is 2% back on everything I think and your annual fee is covered by your membership fee. Downside is a bunch of places don't take Amex. Every year I get two checks, one for the 2% on the Amex and then another for 2% for my executive membership.

Lipumira
May 6, 2007

FIRE!

bamhand posted:

Amex card is 2% back on everything I think and your annual fee is covered by your membership fee. Downside is a bunch of places don't take Amex. Every year I get two checks, one for the 2% on the Amex and then another for 2% for my executive membership.

They are about to start taking VISA if I remember correctly. All those sweet sweet airline miles.. Yeah, gonna get me some TP!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Well, the butthumpers close at 6 on Saturdays. That sucks.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
loving Yancy's Fancy smoked gouda.

Edit: And they recently started selling Jiff peanut butter again at the one I go to, I can't stand that skippy poo poo.

Haerc has a new favorite as of 11:03 on Mar 22, 2015

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

They have the best value pizza in Japan. Hooray for worldwide memberships! :toot:

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Lipumira posted:

They are about to start taking VISA if I remember correctly. All those sweet sweet airline miles.. Yeah, gonna get me some TP!

Costco Amex is going to be phased out in 2016, probably for some citi visa , but the card owns. 3 percent cash back on gas, 2 percent restaurants, 1 percent on everything else, and card is free with membership

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Up here in Canada they just phased out the Amex for a CapitalOne MasterCard...

Free Costco membership
No fee card
2% cash back on stuff and gas
3% on restaurants.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Roger Craig posted:

Costco Amex is going to be phased out in 2016, probably for some citi visa , but the card owns. 3 percent cash back on gas, 2 percent restaurants, 1 percent on everything else, and card is free with membership

Ah really? Might get one soon anyways. I don't go to Costco often but when I do I'm dropping $300 minimum. Get gas there when I can but not sure if that applies

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Ah really? Might get one soon anyways. I don't go to Costco often but when I do I'm dropping $300 minimum. Get gas there when I can but not sure if that applies

It's for any gas, not just theirs!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Right but do you get extra points if it's at Costco? I know their gas doesn't apply to the executive membership

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Right but do you get extra points if it's at Costco? I know their gas doesn't apply to the executive membership

No extra points for buying gas at Costco, it's just generally the cheapest place around to buy gas

SlickDealer
Dec 13, 2014

I can't believe you like money too. We should hang out.

metztli posted:

In Chicago, what I love is that there's a "secret" Costco that's almost totally empty and a dream to go to, whereas the other one that is more well known is a mad house.

If I'm thinking of the same location, that store is about to turn into a 'business center' (due to low sales I'd imagine). You won't find a lot of the household type food items and such you would find at a regular Costco, and the hours are even more reduced.

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
Went to Costco in early January and the return area had a huge line of people returning fuckoff huge artificial christmas trees. Pretty ballsy move.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Roger Craig posted:

No extra points for buying gas at Costco, it's just generally the cheapest place around to buy gas

Which is why there's always a line of 6 cars at every pump (not going to stop complaining about this)

Well anyways probably going to get one so heh

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I go for the industrial quantities of gummi bears and to get Michelin tires cheap when they're on sale.

Don Baylor
Oct 24, 2005
The Kirkland brand booze isn't bad. I get my socks and undies there too. Also actually got my wife her wedding and engagement ring. The jewelry mark up is tiny there.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
If your Costco's got em check for the big jars of cheap pesto. Stuff goes great with basically everything (I like it as a spread on turkey sandwiches) and keeps for ages.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
I worked at the food court for a while, if anyone has any burning questions about the horrific things that take place in an average Costco food court ask away. Oddly enough I know next to nothing about the rest of the warehouse, never even shopped there with my free membership.

jimmy mnemonic
Jan 9, 2007

Fun Shoe
All right then. What are some of the horrific things that take place in an average Costco food court?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
What's the chances someone's balls have been on my pizza before I buy it?

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

ServoMST3K posted:

I worked at the food court for a while, if anyone has any burning questions about the horrific things that take place in an average Costco food court ask away. Oddly enough I know next to nothing about the rest of the warehouse, never even shopped there with my free membership.

how many of those churros have you eaten in one sitting

edit: I hold you responsible for me being a fat 6th grader

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

Sorry for the delayed response folks, I had a bad case of the pukes/shits. Also, I DON'T WORK THERE NOW SO I DID NOT TAINT YOUR HOT PIZZAS.

I'd say based on my experience and what I've heard from a few of the other locations in the US (I'm in New England) the chances are slim to none that anyone did something gross to your food. For all the times a member acted like a doofus or threatened one of my many coworkers (a lot of people tend to move through that department fairly quickly then on to some other part of the warehouse) with bodily harm the most that happened was someone taking out their frustration on a piece of dough that had to be pounded out anyway. I think the pizza is tastier at the busier locations for that reason. Most of the food prep areas are visible to everyone in front of the counter as well.

There was one dark period where the churros were going to be blacklisted at my location but thankfully the members spoke up to the management and they quickly changed their minds. That's honestly one of two reasons why kids ever cooperate when their parents drag them there to go shopping, I pity any other locations where they permanently did away with the churros. The only time I ate more of them than usual was when we had what was supposed to be the last box in the freezer. Tears were shed, it was pretty pathetic.

I don't really consider any of the standard practices in a food court (with a basic menu, I don't have experience with some of the more exotic local options from around the globe) to be outright disgusting, but we got a bunch of grief from our supervisors about leftover product that had to be destroyed at the end of the day. For that reason some of my coworkers would bake stuff less often than I would prefer, even though our department was set up to lose money anyway. The only reason a food court exists in a warehouse store like Costco is to keep people in the location longer. I would sometimes bake more stuff and throw away something that had been sitting around a bit more than would be ideal and just "round down" my d&d list at the end of the night just to keep the members pleased.

My tenure towards the end of my employment at Costco got a bit strange and twisted due to personal issues but that's probably for another thread.

SierraEchoBravo
Jun 23, 2010
If its one thing goons love its twisted stories full of personal issues. Spill the beans. I'm rapidly running out of cons for getting a membership.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

Haha, true but I'd prefer to get op and mod permission to do something like that. Depending on what I can accurately recall it might be one big rear end yarn.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

ServoMST3K posted:

our department was set up to lose money anyway. The only reason a food court exists in a warehouse store like Costco is to keep people in the location longer.

I knew it. I bet its the same at IKEA

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

ServoMST3K posted:

Haha, true but I'd prefer to get op and mod permission to do something like that. Depending on what I can accurately recall it might be one big rear end yarn.

If you did post it'd probably be one of my favorite things about motherfuckin' COSTCO!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Went today, signed up.

It's like a higher class Sam's. Cleaner too. It's... hell it's like a whole foods version of Sam's.

Didn't have as much poo poo as Sam's does to choose from, but it's also a smaller store too.

Got my ground bison, the salmon patties people were losing their poo poo over, some cookies, hydrocortizone cream (99 problems but an itch ain't one!), and misc other stuff. Spent like 150$ but eh, happy with what I got.

Also, HOLY gently caress THE PIZZA OH GOD drat. Amazing. Even bought one for later when I left, and I could not fit that fucker in my fridge (18" box is hhyyoooooooj). Had to ziploc the slices. Still, damned good pizza.

Took a bunch of pics of stuff I might add to my next grocery list. Might post a few in here to get some general reactions (and maybe save me some money if they suck)

Also got a churro but holy poo poo I was expecting something like 6" or so, and got some giant dildoic monstrosity. Still for 2$ it twernt bad.

All in all, Motherfuckin' COSTCO is pretty good.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I got a membership a couple days too. Got some New York Strip for $9/pound, the cheapest I've found it elsewhere in town is $12/pound. Also got a bottle of wine, don't know how much it costs elsewhere but it dethroned our current favorite for sweet, bubbly red wine (we're philistines) while being $3/bottle cheaper. Need to go back soon for some more produce and some new apartment stuff. Probably a big-rear end bag of frozen chicken too.

edit: Might get a slice of pizza to test it out, see if I want to get it or a local place for my move-in party. Costco would definitely be cheaper.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

When you’re working with frozen pizza dough it has to sit around at room temp and get acclimated for a while before you can work with it. I figured when I skittishly walked in for an interview at Costco that august July day it was just going to be another stinky sock in the hamper; at least a proofed stinky sock, a well-rested stinky sock.

Was feeling really good that summer. I bumbled through the last math course required for my college degree and wanted to stride like a giraffe into the next thorny tree patch. My tongue wasn’t as dark and swarthy as the zoo giraffe’s, but the rest of me looked the part. Certainly couldn’t clean my nose with the thing. I needed scratch to keep my home-body social life afloat while I looked for a “college job”. You know, the ones that can sniff you out as soon as you get that paper and want you inside them like Sigourney. My old lady at the time was on the right carousel pony. Working for a direct care agency, wanted to be involved with people. Flesh and blood type of deal.

My trade was pizza sauce and beef just a month or so later. Boil the dogs, put just over a pound and a half of cheese on the dough, smile and nod. Don’t ask any questions. Nice bunch working in there to start. Couple of war horses stickin in for the health insurance, couple of young ruffians making a brief stop in search of greener warehouse pastures. From what I recall it was grand for a while.

I ventured out to the same branch as my girl for a while, kicked around with some chums who couldn’t kick so well for themselves. Played up for the chubs and the beanpoles real holiday card like. Much better perks than the Cos. Full time all the time too. Is that the only reason I wanted out so much? Feel like there was another sock to the ensemble.
One too many thefts and way too many controlled substances later I was waving ta-ta to the job I thought I wanted. I’m still convinced the hot dogs pooled their mental energy together to make me do that poo poo, but accounts differ. They weren’t done with me. Neither was the Caesar’s.

About 8 months after I walked past the receipt lady in a grand fashion I made my way into the Cos once more. Things didn’t look so bad. Mostly the same faces, some new menu items in the court. Felt okay at first. Why did I leave this place again? Something about the switch from Hebrew National to Kirkland wieners might have played a part.
Things were going atomic warhead sour only a few months later. Started getting thirsty on the job, never happened before. Started feeling paranoid, Dennis Hopper on grass paranoid. Tried to bury my head in the dish sink to ignore it best I could. Just keep scrubbing and rinsing. My poor mitts looked Kruegerian by the end.
Others were losing their cool. That hadn’t happened the last time. A lot of changes since the last time. What’s the big deal? It’s making pies and wrapping furts for slightly above average pay. Does any of this sound peculiar to you?

People take their 1.50 dog seriously. It’s the sort of thing that makes Poe and Kafka look like the Madonna on a piece of sourdough toast. I thought once that trying to leave a convo on a friendly note wasn’t difficult no matter where you are. Cos taught me a lot about sanitizing serving tongs and steaming buns, but maybe even more about the real workings of life. Better to pick the cheese out of your sneakers at the end of the night and not think about it too much.

Don’t make the mistake I did. Just pick out the cheese and move on.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
Our store got in some cheapo brand of those moisture wicking shirts that are button up and long sleeve. I have a few that I wear to work from Duluth company and Mountain Hardware, but those I got on sale for $40-50. These are $20, I will see how they hold up, but for Texas summers I am excited.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

RE: Costco booze, around me (Northern Jersey) generally the wine is about average, maybe a dollar or two cheaper on some bottles. Hard liquor prices range from average to drat cheap for Kirkland brand. Beer is generally very reasonable for Kirkland brand (drinkable but nothing special, but good house beer for the price), a few cases of random craft beer at average to slightly-below-average prices, and usually a random kind of craft beer for a holy poo poo low price (got two cases of Founder's Breakfast Stout for ~$40 each a few months back, retails for $60+ a case at liquor stores around here).

Not worth the hassle for booze when I have half a dozen closer liquor stores, but worth it to stock up when I'm buying groceries from Costco anyway.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
That's kind of the same story with toilet paper and paper towels. They're cheaper than regular price at a grocery store, but with coupons/specials stacking you can do way better at grocery stores with the right timing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Around here the beer is actually more expensive than at a liquor store. $35 for two 12-packs of Odell's, which is $15 a 12-pack everywhere else. The other beer seemed similarly overpriced. I haven't really looked at the liquor too much. I saw Buffalo Trace is $20, rather than the $22 it is at most stores, so that's a bit better. But the selection is really small, and the best deals seem to be on handles, which would take me more than a year to kill. More excited about the wine. My fiancee and I are horrible sweet-wine drinking philistines, and we found a sweet bubbly red there for $10, when the cheapest one like that we could find elsewhere was $13. No super-cheap wine, though. So we're probably still mostly going to the liquor store just outside of town.

I tried the pizza tonight. I don't get it. Maybe better than Domino's, but not by much.

• Locked thread