Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I played the gently caress out of WoT when it came out so I'm totally excited to fart around being a piece of poo poo in my crappy jeep carrier :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
I'm apparently a super bad carrier captain cause I can't use torpedo bombers worth a poo poo. Gonna take forever to get my Independence. :saddowns:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Rorac posted:

I got caught in one of those actually, in a battleship no less. I haven't seen anybody do it to me since so who knows, you might've been the one to do it to me. I can confirm that torpedo crosses work really really well, and there really isn't any solution, outside of 'eat poo poo and die'.

Tell you what, for those wanting to not suck at carriers, have a lovely MSpaint rendition of what happened to me and what you should do more often.

As long as you can time the attacks properly, there is pretty much no way to escape that. Even if you fail to kill the ship outright you'll cripple it for sure and it'll likely get picked off in short order.
This poo poo is pretty hilarious to do, especially when you've got another carrier doing it at the same time with you:

:getin:

Now if only I could stop sucking at destroyers.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
I need to get used to doing manual drops. Both of those I just told my squadrons to attack and it worked out fine cause both of them were too busy focusing on shooting me that they weren't doing heavy manuevering. Every time I've done a manual drop so far I've hosed it up like an idiot like giving the attack order too close to where the bombers are flying so they have to fly circles downwards in order to drop and by the time they do the ship has moved away.

Infidelicious posted:

Hey Insert. Give me an invite key if you get one, and we can relive Navy Field 2009-2010, but without the amazingness of killing people's hard earned vets with AA ships.
Please don't trigger me :whitewater: (I don't have an invite code sorry I just applied like a pleb)

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I was looking in the game options, and it says 'hold control to use secondary (AAA?) weapons'. I do that, but I never get anything but a cursor. I'm only in tier 3. Do my ships just not have AAA yet?

What's with those secondary guns that jut out from the belt of the first battleship? Do those fire like all the other guns whenever I blast a salvo at a target in their line of fire, or do they just stick out and look stupid?
You can't control them directly; that's referring to clicking on a ship/plane squadron to focus your secondary battery on.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Vengarr posted:

Is there a way to tell when your torpedoes will be active? I've had a few games where I dropped torpedoes too close and they just go :doink: off the hull. Very anticlimactic.

Hammerstein posted:

Unfortunately not. It takes a while to get a feel for it, from my experience you can release from the inner half of the attack circle, probably even closer. You can launch so close that on a good to perfect attack run a lone BB will always take massive damage.

Ofc these seal clubbing days won't last forever. I had one game today with a decent team which actually stuck together. The planes from the hostile side could not get through the AA cover.
AFAIK they start being active at the green marker:

Like in this image they drop at the edge of the circle, and activate once they're in the green highlighted area. I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Nordick posted:

You seem to be profoundly mistaken about what kind of games the "World of ..." games are and what their playerbase is like.
No way dude surely a map that requires extensive coordination between 15 random people to do anything would not be frustrating or unfun in the slightest at all

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

BadLlama posted:

I'm actually liking US destroyers a lot, I go where the enemy destroys probably are going and just blow them up with my guns then go on close range suicide torpedo missions on battleships.
My most hilarious DD game so far has being on my Wickes class where I thunderdomed against 4 other DDs alone and came out on top (well the last dude sank me with torps, but then ran into my torps that were already into the water and sank too).

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
I feel like I'm doing CVs wrong because I always manage to miss with my manually aimed torps that I've stopped and just gone back to auto-attacking with them. Thankfully most people seem really bad at dodging torps.

NTRabbit posted:

NA closed beta testers who played 1000+ beta battles got the M4A2E4 which many immediately sold, but I kept because I never sell a gift/premium. It's a serviceable tank.
They only counted post-wipe games (there was a soft wipe when they introduced the Jagdtiger where they wiped all stats but you kept all your accumulated XP as free XP) though so I never got my crappy rear end tank, since I played a poo poo-ton and then burned out before then. :mad:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
If it's like CVs when you're not in the overhead view you hold down alt and can click on the map/place on your screen to make them fly there.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

BadLlama posted:

So a lot of silly alpha testers are apparently mad that the game isn't WW2 boats simulator with combat ranges of 30Km+ how the hell would that be any fun.
What really gets me is that people expected that in the first place by the company which made WoT and this game essentially being in the same "series" as that game. Like what the hell were they expecting?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
The amount of people who sit still or try to peak and poke will never not be funny to me.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
No Yorktown? What is this poo poo? :mad:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Hey now the Hornet exists too! But yeah I don't know about doctrine or anything, but they also reused Lexington.

santanotreal posted:

The Yorktown class is separate from the Essex class, but I believe one of the Essex class was named Yorktown. Confusing poo poo actually.
Yeah they reused the name Yorktown for an Essex class after the first one got sunk at Midway. It just seems like a weird omission given how famous the Enterprise was, but maybe they're saving it for another CV tree. Wargaming likes having a million different trees if WoT is any indication.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

xthetenth posted:

Incidentally literally all of those things but armor have gently caress all to do with rng, and I very sorely distrust the word of idiots with simhard agendas like that rather than thinking they bolloxed up armor a bit when I still haven't gotten a citadel hit on an enemy with sharply angled armor or anything that would belie the existence of armor.
I've gotten citadel hits on ships with sharply angled armour because they were so far away it just plunged in from above instead :v:

But yeah I'm really skeptical of people saying armour doesn't exist and it's all just RNG and hitboxes until someone can prove for sure

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Harik posted:

It's a tighter spread, at least on the tanks I tended to drive. I like being able to pop someone right in their ammo rack when I aim for it, dammit!
Ah yes noted non-RNG dependent game World of Tanks *gets shot in the ammo rack multiple, nothing happens due to RNG rolls*

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Vengarr posted:

They better give Kaga her historical armament. 10 8-inch guns, 8 5-inch guns. And 6 inches of belt armor. Just in case she ever found herself in a gun duel with a cruiser.

Kaga was designed for a video game. Specifically, this one.
The Lex doesn't get her 8-inchers so probably not :(

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

PirateBob posted:

Why would you upgrade the torpedo tubes on the Clemson? +0.5km range for -0.6 ROF?
You also get ~1800 more damage per torp on the upgraded torpedoes.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Friendly torps are way for dangerous than enemy torps. Some rear end in a top hat dropped torps in my path that forced me to dodge and put me right into the path of some enemy torps that weren't spotted at the time. :argh:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
I hope they do something with Carriers; I kind of enjoy playing them when things go right but getting 3 or 4 sorties per game at best is pretty dreadful. Literally posting right now while waiting for all my planes to fly back to me.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Pimpmust posted:

At higher (6+) tiers it feels like they could add more planes per squadron, because AA gets really serious up there - guaranteed to lose attacking planes in pretty much any run makes the few attacks you do get markedly less effective (if they don't get panicked on top). Just losing one or two torpedo planes makes it *much* easier to dodge the following torpedo spread (and all ships at tier 6 and up are also fast and agile compared to earlier ships).

But that doesn't solve the "3-4 sorties per game" issue. Faster turn-around time? Higher speed on the planes?
Higher speed on planes would be pretty interesting to see, since not only would you be able to get more sorties out per game, it'll allow you to get into position faster and give the targets less time to react, as well as being in and out of the AA faster.

TheFluff posted:

- Torpedoes are a dumb weapon and are kinda like artillery in WoT. There's a lot of random chance and dumb luck involved and if you luck out someone gets oneshot.
????

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Hey man, my dive bombers have a maximum damage of 2400 per bomb *attacks target, only gets 1 hit, does 300 damage*

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Prav posted:

I thought that was an interesting change (with a good chance of backfiring of course, there's a reason you put down dom points in odd numbers) until I saw where they put it. What were they thinking?
Domination points aren't zero-sum in this game though so having an even number of points doesn't matter.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

ArchangeI posted:

Is there any indication whatsoever telling you how long your torpedo tubes on one side are going to take to reload? Because there is absolutely nothing worse than having a battleship happily on the side you fired your torpedoes on and not knowing whether you can turn quick enough to fire the other side or if you should just keep straight on because the battery is going to be reloaded in a few seconds.
When you select your torpedoes the number indicators that normally show your gun reload times show your torpedo reload times.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Yeah CVs being super tiered and having to sit on your rear end for half the game because it takes forever to retrieve your planes is probably the worst part of playing CVs.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Poil posted:

I have the -10% service time to aircraft and -10% time for torpedo bombers. Still takes a really long time. I bet the reload time was set with the assumption that you'll have both those skills. If planes could land faster and more reliably or even land and takeoff planes at the same time or just cut down the time it takes for planes to lift, half the time would make more sense, it would make carriering a lot less annoying. :rant:
It's not even the service time that's annoying, it's the speed at which your planes fly so that even when you're trying to sit as far ahead as possible you generally find yourself flying about 1/3 to 1/2 of the map distance wise to the enemy ships which leads to 3 or 4 minutes round time.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
What an idiot; never drive at ships that have torpedoes

Yesterday I ended up in a 1v1 against an Aoba in my Cleveland and his torps forced me to keep my rear end directly towards him for like 90%+ of the fight. Still won cause none of his torps hit and half a Cleveland is still better in a gun fight than any Japanese shitbox cruiser. :coal:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
The warping that happens with ships that are far away reminds me of the WoT beta, though not as bad.

Prav posted:

The thing I'm getting is that sometimes ships just aren't where they appear to be. Shellcamming a 36 cm slam-dunk into someone's deck only to get no hit at all is... unsatisfying :rubshands:
It's hilarious when it works the other way around though. You're just there thinking to yourself that your salvo is going to miss because you lead too much when the shells just explode above the water and you get a citadel hit.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Lol nice driving idiots

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
I once adjusted too close to the drop point which caused my planes to fly circles then drop their payload about 90 degrees from the direction I told them to drop.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
I got the sniper mission for today (4 torp hits in 1 game) so I took my destroyers out for the first time in about a week. So far my games have consisted of me taking a hit, losing my engine, using my repair teams, only to take a second hit that kills me from about 10k health in like 3 or 4 games in a row now. :whitewater:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
I wish I could have another fighter squadron without having to sacrifice all my damage dealing capability. The first loadout like that is the final one on the Lex with 2/2/0 for fighters/torp bombers/dive bombers. Then of course you have the 2/2/1 loadout on the Essex. Hell I would probably seriously consider a 2/1/1 loadout if they give me a choice for that.

E: The hilarious super heavy fighter loadouts I could see being pretty useful if you could party up with another CV but lol can't have that I guess

Insert name here fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Mar 29, 2015

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

demonR6 posted:

Are you asking for parlay? I typically won't shoot at a goon if I recognize them or they salute. At least not until the end of we are the last standing or if they come gunning for me early on then all bets are off.
Always shoot goons first, even if it costs you the game and your life. Especially if you costs you the game and your life.

Adventure Pigeon posted:

I kinda think they need to swap the Cleveland to a much higher tier or nerf it, because it feels better than the tier 7 and 8 US cruisers by far. Those guns just spray death, and no cruiser has enough armor to avoid crits from them. Come to think of it, a lot of ships seem to be in the wrong tier. This is especially true amongst destroyers where the stupid increasing torpedo reload times and marginal/non existent improvements in gunnery, hp, and armor mean that they generally get worse as you go up. The crazy long range torpedoes that you eventually get are nice, but that's near the end, and in the meantime you have a wide gulf of turds.
I've seen people do some mean things in a Pensacola and New Orleans. Ironically my Pensacola experience so far has been a wet fart so far with the stock guns, because I'm so used to the Cleveland's really slow shells that I keep leading too much. Also because I seem incapable of actually getting a decent penetrating salvo off on a BB leading to only triple digit barrages so far. :argh:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

demonR6 posted:

I like to wait till the end hoping we both survived so we can bump into each other over and over infuriating everyone as the game results in a draw. No luck so far though and every time I have run into Rossmum on the other team he dies almost immediately.
Oh yeah this is pretty good too. Way back in the WoT closed beta before platoons were a thing the only way to play with friends was to hit battle at the exact same time and hope you got into the same battle (since the matchmaker didn't exist at the time so it just threw the first 30 tier 3s and up into a match) so whenever I got onto the opposite team as my friend we'd try to be the last ones alive and then just deliberately drive past each other not shooting.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
People who complain about how planes are OP are hilarious: "CVs are no skill they can drop torps on you and you don't even have time to dodge!" *watches planes line up and make a run, doesn't attempt to move until the last second and eats every torp*

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I usually can't kill any battleship goons, because they know ancient and mysterious anti-destroyer tactics like "turn away from destroyer"
"Destroyer? Better turn my side to it and drive straight so I can shoot it with all my guns before it kills me with its overpowered torpedoes!"

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
I once pulled up literally right next to an enemy Kongo in mine and we duked it out Age of Sail style and it was boss as hell

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

:what:

(I'm sad I died by being an idiot and never got to take a shot at the Yamato)

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Does anyone else never get "decent" games in a DD? All my DD games are either I die instantly in a horrible manner and I get double digit XP or I gently caress poo poo up and get quad digits on a loss (or I die instantly in a horrible manner and still get quad digit XP :iiam:), but I never get average games where I get like 500 or 600 XP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Man nothing is more hilarious than getting two perfect torpedo bomber runs on a Fuso and sinking him like a minute and a half into the match, two matches in a row. Those dudes must have been pissed. Also when the MM decides that two Independences can fight your one Saipan and you just laugh and maul every single one of their planes.

Then you go up against a Ranger and you're reduced to trying to ram things and shoot them with your secondaries. :saddowns: