Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei Hyde posted:

Thank God. Hakuoki's cool but I was waiting all game for something other than "stand around while hot samurai dudes do all the cool stuff" but it never happened :(.
you're going to be sitting around a while with the otome genre then

the protagonist is a self-insert through which you interact with the guys, generally. frankly the hakuoki protag is on the better side of things in that at least she has personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Liquid Penguins posted:

I'm gay and I like gay anime bois, what is the v/n for me? I have a vita and a steam compatible computer in my abode.
i dont think any yaoi VNs have gotten releases on vita or steam

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

RIP that Umineko LP speaking of.
it would have taken that guy literally 20 years to finish at the pace he was going

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

True, but I liked reading peoples speculation
let's play it yourself :evil:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FractalSandwich posted:

Should I care about those Kindred Spirits on the Roof drama CDs they've been putting out on Steam?

they're cute and funny. if you want to spend more time with the cast then yeah, they're worth buying, but it isn't a multi-hour long epic or essential to the story or anything.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ive played the fan translation and the tl that got released on steam and near as i could remember only like, two-three jokes got changed, and even then it was mostly just changing 'directly talking about the process of in-and-out' to 'dropping innuendos,' it isn't really a huge deal and could have just as easily been to make the joke funnier/flow better as it was to tone down the sexual stuff.

Iunno if the fan translation toned things down any, though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there are games on steam about girls kissing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

how does the attitude grate on you? the steam group's run by a woman and all the recommendations are just summaries of what's in the game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Midjack posted:

Just about every video game is made by men so you may find your choices severely limited here.
uhm

the entire otome genre was created by a woman, tho'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Midjack posted:

Guess who does most of the programming for them these days.
i dont think the programming has any effect on the writing, which is the main appeal of otome games and has a fairly even gender ratio and even in cases where it is written by a dude is usually edited by at least some women?

and otome games definitely aren't for men

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

1) how does the phrase 'female/female romantic content' make a bad first impression? you can't really call it 'lesbian romance' or anything because some of the characters involved might be bi or whatever

2) the itemised list is insanely useful because you can see exactly what content is in the game at a glance. sexuality isn't some like magic pure thing. it's just two girls macking on each other. this game has two girls macking on each other, click here to buy it. this game has a side character who's a lesbian but no real content about that, click here to buy it. it's good. it isn't even a very specific case, it's a resource for people who want games with ladies making the moves on each other that lists the games that have the chicks going 'mwa mwa' and describes at a glance how that manifests in the game. idk what the problem there would be

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Thuryl posted:

It's useful in the other direction as well, if there's a specific game you're already looking at and you want to know exactly how gay you can be in it before you make a purchasing decision
yeah that too. no joke i'd rather have a 10 word description of whether or not the girls kiss than a 5 paragraph essay debating if hyperdimension neptunia panders to the male gaze

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

No wonder this story has twelve climaxes.
i liked the ads for legend of the unemployed ninja that had the girls basically making out and then said 'don't worry, they're cousins'

especially since they weren't actually cousins

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

jellycat posted:

Kindred Spirits on the Roof and the upcoming Nurse Love Addiction are both very good yuri games! Maybe Flowers will come out sometime this year and actually have a decent English translation.

I've only played one route so far, but I also thought Starlight Vega was pretty cute.
also i liked kindred spirits a lot, can't speak for nurse but a friend of mine in japan didn't like it while simultaneously saying that a lot of her lesbian friends did like it so your mileage may vary i guess.

Davincie posted:

actually the staff of ruby party, the koei-temco division that invented otome games is like 90% women

god bless them

but yeah if you read interviews with the current director she actually talks about it being a very female-friendly culture and how she wants it to be a top destination for any woman in the games industry

Endorph fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jul 5, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei Hyde posted:

I want kindred spirits but it's kind of a bit expensive for me.
if it's any consolation it has a lot of content to justify that price tag, it isn't 2 hours long like a lot of yuri vns on steam are, but yeah.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cherry tree is kinda bad. it's a game built around a comedy club with writing by people who worked on the localizations of phoenix wright but there's like no actual jokes in the game. it's all lame puns. not even funny lame puns.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Oh yeah I forgot about all of the "Man, women! :rolleyes:" bits of "comedy" from the first game too, that got old pretty drat fast.
To be fair, there's a scene where the principal explicitly calls him out on his hosed up opinions on women.

On the other hand, you still spend the entire game with the dude.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

main characters don't have to be nice or cool but they do have to be in some way engaging for the reader

also nice burn on autistic people dude

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah okabe is a total goober but he's never mean or spiteful about it. all his arguing with kurisu is just good natured banter and he's nice to everyone else.

that's kinda what gets me about the whole unpleasant or heavily flawed protagonist thing. To go back to Grisaia, even though the game acknowledges Yuuji is a weirdo, and the game explicitly calls him out of his weird attitudes towards women, it doesn't change that him going 'heh, women' after a comedy scene kind of stops any of my laughter dead in its tracks. And with Chaos;head, even though the game is hyper aware that the protagonist is a jackass, it doesn't change the fact that he isn't a super fun or interesting character to spend time with, especially as the story goes on and he has to be sympathetic in some ways. it's one thing if the protagonist is a jackass, has weird morals or lines of thinking, or just isn't a decent person, but it's another thing if the protagonist is flatout unpleasant to spend any amount of time with. Especially in visual novels, where they're usually dozens of hours long and are 50% conversations about nothing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Getsuya posted:

Edit: I wonder if the feedback for the first game was 'this was nice but yuri gamers can't really relate to a try-hard main character so please make the next protagonist lack any discernible positive qualities aside from being attractive to other girls'
define who you think yuri gamers are in ten words or less

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wrong answer. Thanks for playing. Please don't post again.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yes, thank you. i would appreciate exactly that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

muv-luv is a super uneven game and there's a lot to criticize about it but also parts of the article just seem like the reviewer trying way too hard to get up on a high horse

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Steins;Gate isn't a fluke.

Hayashi Naotaka was the main writer on both Chaos;Head and Steins;Gate, but Shimakura Vio, credited as 'scenario assistance' and whose job was to make sure all the time travel plot twists came together logically, did not work on chaos;head.

in other words, big shoutouts to Vio.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the second op for the anime was good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ju3sWRJ-fg

that's my robotics;notes opinion

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

steins;gate is pretty meaty, it'll probably take you a couple of weeks to read it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I talked to one of the team members about it. The deal was super close to happening, then the Japanese side backed out at the last minute. That's why there were hints like this being dropped by one of the translators. But now it will probably never happen.

Everything I've heard about 5pb, the company that controls the science adventure series, is confusing as hell. Like how they forbid JAST, the company behind the english PC release of S;G, from selling it for less than $25 or something like that, and forbid them from selling it on Steam. They don't seem to understand how the market here works or what we want.
To a certain extent, I can understand not wanting to devalue your brand, but when you can buy Steins;Gate in japan for somewhere around 1650 yen if you know where to look (roughly $16), it feels a little disingenuous.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Now I want a posh school version of this where it's all about writing strongly worded letters and subtly polite barbs.

that's called marimite

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah, there's an all-ages version that's releasing on steam.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

flowers' tl has been dramatically overhauled, but there are still a few weird lines. the phrase 'lesbian feelings' is used multiple times in a clunky way.

also, fair warning that it's way less about explicit relationships and happy endings than kindred spirits. it's a lot more about drama and characters angsting.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean, there's no way it couldn't. I think it's silly to pin literally everything on that one thing, like some kind of magic bullet, but if even a casual acquaintance of mine died it'd affect how I chose to tell a story, let alone one of my closest friends.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the best thing about dies irae is that the game's fanbase skewed so surprisingly female and loved the villains so much that they made a spinoff otome game about the villains

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the otome game is also a ripoff of interview with a vampire

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

the s;g cast is epic from the start, i must interject
epic this ^^^

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NRVNQSR posted:

If that's a spoiler for Higurashi I don't understand it. Possibly I just don't get enough of the other references? Aside from Rika I only recognise Yuki and presumably Okabe, which isn't enough to deduce any kind of pattern.
timeloops

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i thought it was a homestuck character

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

The first Utawarerumono game got exceedingly dumb at the end.
yeah but it ended with touka and the drunk girl going off to be lesbian mercenaries together so it was a good ending overall

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also man i thought the tsukihime TL decision of rendering 志貴 and 四季 as Shiki and SHIKI was awkward and clunky.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

utawarerumono uses a lot of ainu culture and language and names and stuff, but a lot of the plot twists are just jrpg magic stuff and not really anything to do with ainu legends, at least not textually. You could make a meta argument about how some things fit into the marginalization and ignorance of Ainu history and culture in modern Japan, especially with some of the implications in the first game's backstory, but there's no Ainu legend that just straight up fits 1:1 with the first game's ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

imagine the anime, but presented in a visual novel format, and you do timed hits

edit: and also the two cavalier guys have screentime