Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

i hope the steambox is successful but gently caress if i know who their market is - i guess folks with more money than sense? alienware steam machine? wtf

This. Selling expensive consoles to PC gamers who already own a PC isn't a marketing strategy I would be pushing. Those fuckers need to be cheap before anyone will buy them but since the manufacturers don't get to sell you games they're going to charge a premium for the hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Staunch and proud ally of Big Pharma! We stand with you!
I had fun in Xen but it really wasn't very fun compared to the entire rest of the game. It took this sharp right turn into alienland out of nowhere and feh, it wasn't that good. The rest of the game was loving amazing, and HL2 was great, and Valve are the kings of riding on decades old rep and a delivery service at this point.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
steam boxes are aimed at people who would be pc gamers if they weren't too retarded to build their own computer

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

LordArgh posted:

steam boxes are aimed at people who would be pc gamers if they weren't too retarded to build their own computer

you can already buy pre-built gaming pcs though

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I just want endless lambda complex

dadrips
Jan 8, 2010

everything you do is a balloon
College Slice
HL, opposing force: fun
blue shift: why

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
Half Life 2 is better.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

dadrips posted:

HL, opposing force: fun
blue shift: why

what was wrong with blue shift, I remember enjoying it and it had HD GRAPHICS

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Blue Shift felt like a mod. It was soooo short and kind of just totally uninteresting

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

circ dick soleil posted:

Half Life 2 is better.

Did they ever release the patch that made it have a plot?

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Quote-Unquote posted:

Did they ever release a patch that made you not a fag?

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

circ dick soleil posted:

Half Life 2 is better.

sorry, you discovered the wrong answer

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

circ dick soleil posted:

Did they ever release a patch that made you not a fag?

Yes it was the patch where I played an fps that isn't like 50% farting around on poo poo vehicles and solving physics puzzles for babbies

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
the best thing about half life is portal 2

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I thought Xen was cool, but then I grew up playing Mega Man and Super Metroid and poo poo so platform jumping is fun to me.

Also OPfor is pretty great. Adrian Shepherd is the original badass video game Shepherd.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

it's cool that portal 2 was long enough to make even the best gimmick of the decade boring

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Waltzing Along posted:

the best thing about half life is vampire the masquerade bloodlines

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Half-Life 2 was amazing. The plot was "ALIENS HAVE INVADED AND TAKEN OVER EARTH, NOW FIGHT THEM AND GET THE RESISTANCE BACK ON THEIR FEET", this was hardly difficult to follow

If you wanted details you had to look for em yourself, like what the hell the combine soldiers actually were (modified humans) or why the aliens looked so varied (previously modified conquered aliens) or how the aliens were slowly destroying the human race and the planet (resource draining, suppressing fertility etc) why there was a human working with some sort of alien slugs (the actual overlords of the alien invasion). It's all there if you pay attention and all that stuff was more intriguing to me than uh,,, well i'm trying to recall other recent FPS plots for comparison but I can't remember any of them because they're too boring.

I love HL2 :allears:

too bad there will never be a hl3

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Quote-Unquote posted:

there was a huge amount of exposition in hl2

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

HL2 was pretty loving good at the show, don't tell thing.
Makes me loving cry tears of megashit when I have to play garbage like Bioshock: Infinite or any Bioware game where they loving pound your brain full of world lore because they're incompetent at actually doing it in a compelling way.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

half life 2 was cool but fighting slow and weak combine guys got old fast. if only the hunters from ep2 were there from the beginning, they were fun to fight.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
If you haven't played through the Black Mesa: Source remake you're doing a major disservice to yourself. It's really amazing.

The AI for the Marines in HL is sometimes legit scary how well they advance on you with grenades and covering fire and poo poo.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
Half life 1 mediocre, half life 2 overhyped piece of poo poo promising a shitload of stuff that was never delivered, turns out mediocre, half life three aparently unlikely to be released. Nobody with an iq in the triple digits cares. Volvo giff harf libe tree!!!

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

how me a frog posted:

Half life 1 mediocre, half life 2 overhyped piece of poo poo promising a shitload of stuff that was never delivered, turns out mediocre, half life three aparently unlikely to be released. Nobody with an iq in the triple digits cares. Volvo giff harf libe tree!!!

thanks for sharing

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I hooked up my lovely laptop to my tv and stream games from my pc to it and voila , steambox :smug:

of course the only thing it really accomplishes is really letting me know how most games are really bad with a controller

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Crow_Rodeo posted:

If you haven't played through the Black Mesa: Source remake you're doing a major disservice to yourself. It's really amazing.

The AI for the Marines in HL is sometimes legit scary how well they advance on you with grenades and covering fire and poo poo.

Yeah I remember being impressed by that then it vanished in hl2. But the only other fps I remember having good AI is FEAR and the sequels got dumber.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Did HL2 sell really badly or something why the hell is Valve not releasing more half life stuff

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Crow_Rodeo posted:

What's cool about their AI is that it wasn't even very complex, it wasn't all the stupid souped up poo poo where people talk about their AI reacting dynamically to you or being afraid of you or etc.
They just had really simple responses and behaviors.
They haven't seen you for awhile? They throw a grenade to where you last were.
Are they clumped up? One will move to a different piece of cover, which, along with their aggression creates the illusion that they're flanking you.
It's just simple stuff perfectly mixed into the level design to make them seem really smart and reactive, add in the audio design and it completes the effect.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Crow_Rodeo posted:

thanks for sharing

You're welcome. More than Valve did, limp dicked fat man flat company structure san francisco style fiasco, they can't publish half life three beause it will never meet your nerd expactations and I relish the predicament they're in.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Zzulu posted:

Did HL2 sell really badly or something why the hell is Valve not releasing more half life stuff

they dont have to

theyve probably scrapped a bunch of their own attempts. valve is really iterative and wont release something they arent 100% sure is going to be amazing. they are like blizzard and have such a huge cash cow that they can afford it

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
yeah its actually pretty sad that 17 years later the AI in games is basically no better at all

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

TEAYCHES posted:

they dont have to

theyve probably scrapped a bunch of their own attempts. valve is really iterative and wont release something they arent 100% sure is going to be amazing. they are like blizzard and have such a huge cash cow that they can afford it

Except blizzard sold out to activision and has been releasing crap for the past 7 years.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Was Diablo 3 really that bad? I never did play it but it looked solid on youtube and stuff

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Waltzing Along posted:

Except blizzard sold out to activision and has been releasing crap for the past 7 years.

i wouldnt know, i assume their audience likes whatever warcraft poo poo they put out

i also hate card games so idk whats up with hearthstone

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zzulu posted:

Was Diablo 3 really that bad? I never did play it but it looked solid on youtube and stuff

it was garbage but the expansion p much fixed it

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Zzulu posted:

its good after they ripped out the core loot and trade system and rebuilt it from the ground up, then added another act and expansion. there aint no better kill poo poo get loot simulator. and the physics!! :eyepop:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Zzulu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsqUZkmO-zk

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

how me a frog posted:

You're welcome. More than Valve did, limp dicked fat man flat company structure san francisco style fiasco, they can't publish half life three beause it will never meet your nerd expactations and I relish the predicament they're in.

wisdom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

i had a friend who bitched about the secret level and it was really funny for some reason.

• Locked thread