Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Groke posted:

At the time, I remember starting it up and thinking, well, that's a hella cool opening cinematic tram ride... wait, gently caress, I can move around, I'm already in the drat game engine! The whole game looks like this!

This was only a few short years after Doom was cutting edge and had completely fake 3D (really 2D) maps, mind you.

Glad I'm not the only one who didn't bother to move the house for a good minute or two. I think the atmosphere was the best part of the game, and how it delivered the story through the characters talking to you, the PA system/marine's coms, and just watching what was happening. I remember thinking, "oh poo poo, things are getting bad" when the marines started retreating from the facility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
halo was better than all half lifes combined

confirm/Deny

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

a hole-y ghost posted:

It's basically like all of the fun of Far Cry 3 with the boring poo poo mostly taken out. It's also not challenging at all but it's pretty fun in spite of that.

No it still has all the boring poo poo it just pretends it doesn't and makes fun of the boring poo poo but still has it.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Groke posted:

At the time, I remember starting it up and thinking, well, that's a hella cool opening cinematic tram ride... wait, gently caress, I can move around, I'm already in the drat game engine! The whole game looks like this!

This was only a few short years after Doom was cutting edge and had completely fake 3D (really 2D) maps, mind you.

i think everyone thought this. hell i still really enjoy the tram ride. blue shift has a good opening tram too

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Zzulu posted:

confirm/Deny

no but they are pretty fun.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

do you retards really think HL2 is bad, like, objectively

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
HL2 is objectively bad

It had zero plot, the main character didn't even say anything and there was like a boat segment that was really boring

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Alyx is the worst thing to happen to HL

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
the bad guy AI in half-life 2 is way dumber than the original

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I think they just made it easier

In the original the soldiers would get all up in your business with grenades and rushing you but the combine are a lot more passive. THey can still take cover, flank you and toss grenades at you, they just dont do it as often

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

calusari posted:

the bad guy AI in half-life 2 is way dumber than the original
They're mostly just slower. HL1 grunts were always sprinting back and forth.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

HL2 had it's problems for sure but it was mind-blowing when it came out. that first part with the water physics and the floating objects, and the final battle in the city, all that was very impressive

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

best part of hl2 is when you and your new antlion buddies storm the beach of nova prospect

Literal Carehaver
Oct 20, 2014

by Cowcaster
xen ruled, gently caress the haters

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I really miss the speed of old school FPS like Half-Life. Being able to whip around quickly made you feel more like a skilled badass than any scripted sequence.

Zzulu posted:

confirm/Deny

For co-op & multiplayer fun, definitely. For story... debatable. For an engaging and interesting campaign... not even close.

naem
May 29, 2011

I hated the hovercraft sewer level I stopped playing

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeaEljNDYyA

Valve games are really good at fostering some sort of community. Hundreds of mods for the half life games, and hundreds of videos for team fortress (which started as a mod for hl)

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

episode 2 had some great sequences. that house defense against all those hunters was very cool.

another good sequence was when the gunship shows up at the lighthouse in hl2..then they fly away with your car :(

the shotgun/hospital part in episode 1 with the killer doof doof soundtrack was also enjoyable

someone post that youtube of the die cis scum lady being played on all the monitors at the start of hl2

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
did not know any of this. They cut a looot of stuff for HL2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a09m6F11jDc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0yKIoPiaZk

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

toggle posted:

episode 2 had some great sequences. that house defense against all those hunters was very cool.

another good sequence was when the gunship shows up at the lighthouse in hl2..then they fly away with your car :(

the shotgun/hospital part in episode 1 with the killer doof doof soundtrack was also enjoyable

someone post that youtube of the die cis scum lady being played on all the monitors at the start of hl2

Ep 2 was sweet, I love the dark section at the beginning with all the flares and dynamic lighting. Few games ever get this right

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

ethanol posted:

Ep 2 was sweet, I love the dark section at the beginning with all the flares and dynamic lighting. Few games ever get this right

That was Ep1. Ep2 was the antlion lair or something. I remember it was annoying as gently caress.

Ep1 dark area did everything right with darkness that Doom3 did wrong. But I will not forgive Valve for the parking garage with the Antlion holes you had to block off.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

There was also hardly any ammo in episode 1 so that dark section before they reduced the baddie spawn rate was brutal

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Literal Carehaver posted:

xen ruled, gently caress the haters

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

did anyone else do the achievement where you had to beat ep1 only shooting 1 bullet the whole game

or the infamous ep2 gnome one

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
Man this is the first time I ever heard any kind of consensus that HL2 was overall a bad game. there was so a plot if you opened your eyes and paid attention to it. sorry it wasnt delivered in incremental text dumps that you can open from an in-game notebook or whatever

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
I like HL and HL2. Still play them regularly.

Fun fact: The voice actor who played Gordon Freeman (a male) in the Half-Life franchise also played Chell (a female) in the Portal franchise.

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
i remember everyone talking about xen at school and how it was all disjointed and weird and i imagined it as some sort of floaty dreamworld and was inevitably disappointed when it turned out to be just green with teleports. though i can't see how it would make sense as an fps level the way i was imagining it

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Junk posted:

Man this is the first time I ever heard any kind of consensus that HL2 was overall a bad game. there was so a plot if you opened your eyes and paid attention to it. sorry it wasnt delivered in incremental text dumps that you can open from an in-game notebook or whatever

Goons are hipsters and like to hate popular things.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
Goons are terrible people.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

The Xen experience is soured hard by the stupid weird baby boss

Like you have to hop up and bomb a giant fetus

It really triggered me, having been a fetus in space

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

did anybody play red faction, that game owned

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
did anyone play Sven Co Op, that mod owned

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

did you play red faction 2? not so good

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

the game is actually about a engineer trying to escape the friendzone

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

ethanol posted:

did anybody play red faction, that game owned

It was tedious and bland and there was literally no point to the geo-mod system besides random crap getting blown up occasionally and it wasn't even satisfying and tons of crap was indestructible.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Also I'd rather more games have HL's barebones, mostly inferred and implied plot and world instead of garbage boring lore dumps and forcing you through over an hour of stupid world building exposition.
Bioshock Infinite makes the tram and beginning of HL2 look like five seconds. poo poo is loving mindnumbing.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

JebanyPedal posted:

It was tedious and bland and there was literally no point to the geo-mod system besides random crap getting blown up occasionally and it wasn't even satisfying and tons of crap was indestructible.

making mole tunnels with your friends in death match was fun as hell but it would be boring if you were loser with no friends

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
I was trying to come up with a fps that was better than hl2 couldnt so i guess it was hot poo poo after all or maxbe fps is a dum genre for dumb jocks

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

JebanyPedal posted:

Also I'd rather more games have HL's barebones, mostly inferred and implied plot and world instead of garbage boring lore dumps and forcing you through over an hour of stupid world building exposition.
Bioshock Infinite makes the tram and beginning of HL2 look like five seconds. poo poo is loving mindnumbing.

Also constant QTE, boss fights and other gimmicks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

how me a frog posted:

I was trying to come up with a fps that was better than hl2 couldnt so i guess it was hot poo poo after all or maxbe fps is a dum genre for dumb jocks

doom is/was good

• Locked thread