Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Quote-Unquote posted:

Small gods is loving brilliant but I don't think it's a great intro to discworld cos it has little to do with literally anything else but the references in it will be totally lost on you without having read at least a couple before.

Wyrd sisters is a great mash up of Macbeth and hamlet and Guards Guards is like a noir detective story turned on its head. The first two books are fun but really are just Tolkien/d&d parodies and have all sorts of weird poo poo that gets almost totally ignored after.

Night watch is my absolute fave but you need to have read a few earlier guards stories to really get it, I think.

night watch and monstrous regiment are the actual two best ones imo, but you definitely can't read night watch as your first discworld book because you won't get the full impact of it

I feel like small gods is a good starter because even though there's stuff you won't get, it's not tied too much to any of the other storylines (except the monks of time) and you get a feel for his writing style/sense of humor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Thanks for this. It feels appropriate.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
Watching his documentary (for the sixth time) as a sendoff, goodbye Terry. See you on the other side.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
I haven't read it in years but I remember feeling like Small Gods was by far the most important book he wrote. I think it's interesting that some people interpret it as pro-atheism, I always thought of it as a very pro-religion book.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Just took this for who knows what reason.

Funny how few books Douglas Adams released in comparison.

273423-X posted:

I haven't read it in years but I remember feeling like Small Gods was by far the most important book he wrote.

I felt the same way way about Thud, except about parenthood coinciding with war/peace.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
His importance was unjustly undermined by the fact that he wrote too many books. It's a strange world indeed.

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

Not as productive as I should be
So when did you exhaust the available paperbacks and start buying the hardbacks? For me it was 1991, witches abroad.
I wrote a letter to him in 1993... he replied. :-)

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Portals posted:

night watch and monstrous regiment are the actual two best ones imo, but you definitely can't read night watch as your first discworld book because you won't get the full impact of it

I feel like small gods is a good starter because even though there's stuff you won't get, it's not tied too much to any of the other storylines (except the monks of time) and you get a feel for his writing style/sense of humor

Yeah, Night Watch is the best one but it's not a good first -- need to be familiar with a couple things for it to have the same impact.

Small gods I like as a starter just because it's a standalone, and it's the first one I read that really struck a chord with some of the headier concepts that pterry got (fu past tense) into. It's still an early book but it's the first standalone past the point where he really finds his feet as an author that I'd really recommend (pyramids and moving pictures are both pretty meh). Guards Guards might be a little better starter? not sure though.

I just gave a friend a copy of mort 'cause they had it at the used bookstore, then realized that's a really bleak place to start considering the impetus for me buying it again but oh well.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

NmareBfly posted:

Yeah, Night Watch is the best one but it's not a good first -- need to be familiar with a couple things for it to have the same impact.

Small gods I like as a starter just because it's a standalone, and it's the first one I read that really struck a chord with some of the headier concepts that pterry got (fu past tense) into. It's still an early book but it's the first standalone past the point where he really finds his feet as an author that I'd really recommend (pyramids and moving pictures are both pretty meh). Guards Guards might be a little better starter? not sure though.

I just gave a friend a copy of mort 'cause they had it at the used bookstore, then realized that's a really bleak place to start considering the impetus for me buying it again but oh well.

This, but monstrous regiment is the actual best one,and it stands on it own feet without relying on fan favorites vetinari vimes carrot. Rincewind is a bitch.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Night Watch was the peak. After reading that I knew he could only go down from there.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Interesting times is the only Rincewind book I really like and that's mostly for Cohen and co.

'Lovemaking pipe'

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Fairly passive posted:

So when did you exhaust the available paperbacks and start buying the hardbacks? For me it was 1991, witches abroad.
I wrote a letter to him in 1993... he replied. :-)

I bought Light Fantastic when it was first released in the US, which I believe came out before CoM. Then bought every book from that point on. Once amazon started I was able to piece together that the books came out (at that time) much earlier in the UK so I started ordering them from overseas which is why you see a couple of the British prints in there. Eventually, releases were concurrent. Interesting Times is the first hardback I bought. I don't know if there were other hardbacks printed in the US before.

My Witches Abroad says 1st printing. Nothing about a hardback release previously. I am guessing you are speaking of UK releases?

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

The Tiffany Aching books are good as well, not least for the Nac Mac Feegle.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

how me a frog posted:

This, but monstrous regiment is the actual best one,and it stands on it own feet without relying on fan favorites vetinari vimes carrot. Rincewind is a bitch.

this is really weird because that's actually one of my least favorite but now that I think of it I'm not 100% sure why? Maybe I missed something the first time and need a re-read. Might just be that the reveals felt sort of trite but maybe that was one of the points?

Also didn't it have vimes in it? Maybe he mostly just lurked.

mostly agree in Rincewind, tho Interesting Times was another earliesh favorite. probably just because of the cohen crew tho

E

Quote-Unquote posted:

Interesting times is the only Rincewind book I really like and that's mostly for Cohen and co.

'Lovemaking pipe'

:respek:

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 12, 2015

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
oh poo poo this is for real? drat :(

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Stoatbringer posted:

The Tiffany Aching books are good as well, not least for the Nac Mac Feegle.

What is the sound of love?

Listen.

One thing that really sets Pterry apart from nearly any other writer is his endings. Many books just sort of end or tail off. Terry was able to close books in such a satisfying manner that you couldn't help but feel enriched by the 300 pages you had just spent reading.

spooky girlfriend
Oct 21, 2014

how me a frog posted:

Watching his documentary (for the sixth time)

that sounds miserable

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
He's dead but GRRM continues to be morbidly obese with poo poo dick not finishing his books

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fuuuuuck, I want a hardcover Thud!. That's definitely one of my favorites even if it isn't necessarily a universal opinion.

spooky girlfriend
Oct 21, 2014

Waltzing Along posted:

One thing that really sets Pterry apart from nearly any other writer is his endings. Many books just sort of end or tail off. Terry was able to close books in such a satisfying manner that you couldn't help but feel enriched by the 300 pages you had just spent reading.

he's the anti-Neil Gaiman?

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

spooky girlfriend posted:

that sounds miserable

Sometimes a dead at heart, blind in mind, dull in feeling person of the the current generation or any generation needs to have a good cry. The documentary does it, every timr. It is a good thing.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Well poo poo, though I knew how ill he was, this is still sad. I have most of the Discworld books. My brother gave me a bunch ages ago, and after I read one I just kept buying them. They're always a good read, and my copy of Small Gods is falling apart. So you should read Small Gods too.

’There’s no justice!’
THERE’S JUST ME.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I lent my copy of small gods to a girl I was seeing like 10 years ago and never got it back. Might find a nice hardcover in honour of sir terry

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
What did he actually die of? The news stuff has nice comments dressing up his death in the words of his works but no actual cause of death.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

MRC48B posted:

Night Watch was the peak. After reading that I knew he could only go down from there.

I enjoyed Thud! a lot, but, yeah, I guess. It starts winding down and retreading old ground. Snuff is the last true Guard book, and it just didn't grab me. It was just Vimes, now overpowered as gently caress, rampaging in a situation where he was never in any trouble. It's a problem with a lot of his recurring characters.

That's why the Moist Von Lipwig books are such a big stand-out among his later stuff (yes, that's his name, yes, the books are awesome). It's a new character with a new angle and a new dynamic with the old, established ones. Going Postal and Making Money are fun as hell. Even Raising Steam is a pretty good book with him in the lead. Which is good. Because it's the last one.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

how me a frog posted:

What did he actually die of? The news stuff has nice comments dressing up his death in the words of his works but no actual cause of death.

"Natural causes"
Hopefully he went out however he wanted.

BillWh0re
Aug 6, 2001

NmareBfly posted:

Might just be that the reveals felt sort of trite but maybe that was one of the points?

I love Monstrous Regiment and I think the stupid reveal is just a nod to GK Chesterton's The Man Who Was Thursday (notice how Jackrum is described as an enormous fat man, like Chesterton describes Sunday) . It really felt like a fresh story at a time when every other Discworld book was revisiting the same old characters. Going Postal is great too if you want to see how the information age arrives in Discworld, and see Pratchett do cyberpunk.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Cuckoo posted:

As sad as this is, if he was on year 8 of loving Alzheimer's it's probably safe to say his mind was gone before his body was. :( RIP

IDK man. He hung in there pretty well.

I know he had a lot of help, but Raising Steam came out in 2013, and I'd honestly recommend it. There were a lot of really neat callbacks to his older works, too - the biggest all the way back to Reaper Men (back when Death raced the automatic reaping machine). It's not his greatest, but it's far from his worst. Probably above average when you take his body of work as a whole.

Blurry Gray Thing fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 12, 2015

Nanite
Jan 21, 2010
I know assisted suicide and Alzheimer's don't mix, because my mother has it. She wants to do the same, but can't because if you have the big A, you are no longer considered legally competent. So most countries won't let anyone with Alzheimer's commit assisted suicide, and if a family member helps, they can be charged with murder. So I highly suspect he did kill himself, and the natural causes bit is to protect his family.

Really really sad about this, had hoped he might have had another book or two in Him, but at least he didn't suffer the worst Alzheimer's can do. Seen it once with my Grandfather, not looking forward to it with my mom :(.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

I enjoyed Thud! a lot, but, yeah, I guess. It starts winding down and retreading old ground. Snuff is the last true Guard book, and it just didn't grab me. It was just Vimes, now overpowered as gently caress, rampaging in a situation where he was never in any trouble. It's a problem with a lot of his recurring characters.

That's why the Moist Von Lipwig books are such a big stand-out among his later stuff (yes, that's his name, yes, the books are awesome). It's a new character with a new angle and a new dynamic with the old, established ones. Going Postal and Making Money are fun as hell. Even Raising Steam is a pretty good book with him in the lead. Which is good. Because it's the last one.

No, it isn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shepherd%27s_Crown

One more.

spooky girlfriend
Oct 21, 2014

Nanite posted:

Really really sad about this, had hoped he might have had another book or two in Him, but at least he didn't suffer the worst Alzheimer's can do. Seen it once with my Grandfather, not looking forward to it with my mom :(.

Really, I think it's your duty to not just yourself but your family to kill yourself before your Alzheimer's gets bad.

If I was killing myself due to Alzheimer's my note would say "To thine own self be true."

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Quote-Unquote posted:

"Natural causes"
Hopefully he went out however he wanted.

Good. A man should be a master of his destiny, till the very end.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

I had a feeling we'd get one more. I couldn't get through Raising Steam, though I suspect that was due to reading it on a kindle and getting sick of going back and forth to read the footnotes. So much better when they are on the page.

Just ordered it along with Dragons at Crumbling Castle.

Hoorah at another Aching book. I wonder if this is the one where she replaces Granny. Would be a fitting farewell.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
And a woman. Nothing in between though, definitely not *kin.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
He was bad @ writing

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

serious norman posted:

He was bad @ writing

how dare you

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

serious norman posted:

He was bad @ writing

You are bad @ posting, gtfo

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

serious norman posted:

He was bad @ writing

Well, he was no Douglas Adams.

Assuming you mean of the actual quality of the prose. On the other hand, he wrote like 70 books. I think that is being pretty good at writing, myself.

E: also, for US goons. You know how when you go to a bookstore and there is entire shelf of Stephen King books? It's like that in the UK, except with Pterry. Pretty cool.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

serious norman posted:

He was bad @ writing

Nah. He was good and also funny, I liked his books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jisei
Dec 22, 2004

A tiny bundle of supressed instincts held together by spit and caffeine.

BillWh0re posted:

I love Monstrous Regiment and I think the stupid reveal is just a nod to GK Chesterton's The Man Who Was Thursday (notice how Jackrum is described as an enormous fat man, like Chesterton describes Sunday) . It really felt like a fresh story at a time when every other Discworld book was revisiting the same old characters. Going Postal is great too if you want to see how the information age arrives in Discworld, and see Pratchett do cyberpunk.

That one chapter in GP about the metaphor for hackers/IT techs working the Clacker towers, where some die on the job was so good it could have been a separate short story by itself. (Don't know if spoiler tags are needed, but jic)

• Locked thread