Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Problem description: I'm having trouble connecting my daughter's Windows tablet to her Gmail account. I'm probably missing something stupidly obvious, but my Google-fu skills are failing me and I'm stumped.
  • My daughter has an HP Stream 8.
  • Her Google ID is foo@gmail.com.
  • Her Microsoft Account is also foo@gmail.com.
  • Her Outlook account has an alias of foo@outlook.com.
  • I configured her Outlook account to also read from and be able to send from her Gmail account.
  • Her Gmail account is standalone, and doesn't know about the Outlook account.

Attempted fixes:
  • She can login to her tablet.
  • She can login to Gmail via a web browser.
  • She can login to Outlook via a web browser.
  • The Mail app (a Windows 8 app) is configured for both foo@gmail.com and foo@outlook.com. Both are listed in the bottom left of the screen.
  • Her foo@outlook.com email appears to be syncing correctly.
  • When I select foo@gmail.com, the Mail app tries and fails to sync.
  • I enabled the "allow insecure apps to access Gmail" setting in Gmail.

Recent changes: I have not made any changes to your system/configuration recently that might have caused the problem. I have never gotten this to work, thus far.

Operating system: Windows 8.1 for Bing (32-bit)

System specs: HP Stream 8

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

As much as I'd prefer to just move her over to Outlook entirely, I'd like to solve this while maintaining both e-mail accounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Did you set up her Gmail account to use IMAP, and set up Outlook the same way?

I did a quick search, and this result appears to have a decent walkthrough for both components:

http://www.howtogeek.com/174837/how-to-add-your-gmail-account-to-outlook-2013-using-imap

I don't have a machine with Outlook around here currently, and I've personally avoided using email clients for years.

• Locked thread