Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost
Like drat if you don't think games are art after playing this game you must be retarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013
:firstpost:

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
lol if u think art is art

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Low Desert Punk posted:

lol if u think art is art

only kincade is art

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Grand Prize Winner posted:

only kincade is art

this

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Wait is truth beauty or beauty truth? I always get that poo poo mixed up.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Grand Prize Winner posted:

only kincade is art

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B97yNsKoE

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013

An error occurred during validation.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Please do not take pictures from eBaumsworld

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Not_Rainbow_Horse posted:

An error occurred during validation.

Yeah says that doesn't exist.

OP is this a real game or a dream you had?

You should have better dreams then, I don't dream of videogames I dream of saving the president's wife from aliens and then getting to gently caress the president (he's really thankful).

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

Nap Ghost

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Yeah says that doesn't exist.

OP is this a real game or a dream you had?

You should have better dreams then, I don't dream of videogames I dream of saving the president's wife from aliens and then getting to gently caress the president (he's really thankful).

I am using my phone so gently caress it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_B97yNsKoE

Huge Lady Pleaser fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 13, 2015

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Glad xboners finally have a Journey of their own

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

atmospheric platformer? all it needs is indie early access zombies and i'm SOLD

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

please compare this game to dark souls i only play citizen kanes of games

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Huge Lady Pleaser posted:

Like drat if you don't think games are art after playing this game you must be retarded.

Ah yeah, the time honored "The artwork in the game is pretty so the game is art." argument from mentally damaged retards everywhere.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
disney flash games are art lol

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Glad xboners finally have a Journey of their own

It's on Windows, too. And it's no Journey.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

a medical mystery posted:

please compare this game to dark souls i only play citizen kanes of games

One is for autists, the other is Ori and came out this week.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

One is for autists, the other is Ori and came out this week.

thank you for confirming that ori is the citizen kane, of games

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Wonder when gaming journalists will realise that Citizen Kane is held in its high standard because of technical innovation and visual metaphor in filmic storytelling so the fact that Last of Us is generic in its gameplay and storytelling technique but has a good story is in fact totally missing the point and is more like Casablanca in just having a good script and performances and not changing the face of how stories in games are told like an actual Citizen Kane would be Oh well the story sucks cock in TLoU anyway so lick my drat anus.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
E: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ exactly

a medical mystery posted:

thank you for confirming that ori is the citizen kane, of games

It's not. It didn't really do anything that revolutionized gaming. I don't think you understand what "the citizen kane of XX" means.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

the only game that is truly art is this little thing called the game of life

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
I looks nice, but also the gameplay looks boring. The environments also look a little sad and dull. I think I'd much rather play Super Mario World. There's a lot more action going on in that one.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i never heard of this game

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

JebanyPedal posted:

Ah yeah, the time honored "The artwork in the game is pretty so the game is art." argument from mentally damaged retards everywhere.

you did say 'artwork'...

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

JebanyPedal posted:

Wonder when gaming journalists will realise that Citizen Kane is held in its high standard because of technical innovation and visual metaphor in filmic storytelling so the fact that Last of Us is generic in its gameplay and storytelling technique but has a good story is in fact totally missing the point and is more like Casablanca in just having a good script and performances and not changing the face of how stories in games are told like an actual Citizen Kane would be Oh well the story sucks cock in TLoU anyway so lick my drat anus.

Possibly when a games journalist has seen one or both movies instead of just hearing they're some artsy poo poo grownups like, like hamlet and stuff

And lol why would they do that there's a new Zelda coming out soon

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 13, 2015

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
What is art anyway? Always seemed pretty vague to me.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Possibly when a games journalist has seen one or both movies instead of just hearing they're some artsy poo poo grownups like, like hamlet and stuff

Since you wouldn't be a games journalist if you did that kind of thing what I'm saying here is never

im actually a games journalist and hieronymous bosch at the same time

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
i almost bought this game on steam, i like the art style but i didn't see much exciting gameplay in the videos of it

also if you like that kind of game you'd love shelter 2

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

David Graeber posted:

This reluctance to question old-fashioned theoretical assumptions has real consequences on the resulting analysis. Consider Negri’s contribution to the conference. He begins by arguing that each change in the development of the productive forces since the 1840s corresponds to a change in the dominant style of high art: the realism of the period 1848-1870 corresponds to one of the concentration of industry and the working class, impressionism, from 1871-1914, marks the period of the “professional worker”, that sees the world as to be dissolved and reconstructed, after 1917, abstract art reflects the new abstraction of labor-power with the introduction of scientific management, and so on. The changes in the material infrastructure—of industry—are thus reflected in the ideological superstructure. The resulting analysis is revealing no doubt, even fun if one is into that sort of thing, but it sidesteps the obvious fact that the production of art is an industry, and one connected to capital, marketing, and design in any number of (historically shifting) ways. One need not ask who is buying these things, who is funding the institutions, where do artists live, how else are their techniques being employed. By defining art as belonging to the immaterial domain, it’s materialities, or even its entanglement in other abstractions (like money) need not be addressed.

This is not perhaps the place for a prolonged analysis, but a few notes on what’s called “the art world” might seem to be in order. It is a common perception, not untrue, that at least since the ‘20s the art world has been in a kind of permanent institutionalized crisis. One could even say that what we call “the art world” has become the ongoing management of this crisis. The crisis of course is about the nature of art. The entire apparatus of the art world—critics, journals, curators, gallery owners, dealers, flashy magazines and the people who leaf through them and argue about them in factories-turned-chichi-cafes in gentrifying neighborhoods...— could be said to exist to come up with an answer to one single question: what is art? Or, to be more precise, to come up with some answer other than the obvious one, which is “whatever we can convince very rich people to buy.”

I am really not trying to be cynical. Actually I think the dilemma to some degree flows from the very nature of politics. One thing the explosion of the avant garde did accomplish was to destroy the boundaries between art and politics, to make clear in fact that art was always, really, a form of politics (or at least that this was always one thing that it was.) As a result the art world has been faced with the same fundamental dilemma as any form of politics: the impossibility of establishing its own legitimacy.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
ah the gbs indie game playing pedophile, how are you OP

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

It's stuff I put in my bum.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

extra stout posted:

i almost bought this game on steam, i like the art style but i didn't see much exciting gameplay in the videos of it

also if you like that kind of game you'd love shelter 2

What are with all these games for sad brains coming out? It almost seems a new market has been discovered for emo kids/adults.

Badlands
Limbo
World of Goo

I know there's way better examples, and it's not they are bad, but just have this certain depressing attitude about them.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

gently caress those paragraphs

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

What are with all these games for sad brains coming out? It almost seems a new market has been discovered for emo kids/adults.

Badlands
Limbo
World of Goo

I know there's way better examples, and it's not they are bad, but just have this certain depressing attitude about them.

i haven't played any of those so i can't answer but i will say the purpose of shelter isn't to be sad but to become strangely involved in and understanding of nature despite being indoors on a nerd computer box

i don't want to spoil it but shelter 2 has a non depressing ending unlike the first one

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

lol remember when gamers celebrated ebert's death cause he said video games weren't art

Think Thin!
Sep 17, 2006
lol if u dont instinctively hate nice things at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

JebanyPedal posted:

Art is neither politics nor a market and anyone who gets legitimately confused about that is a dumbass. Art is the packaging or presentation of ideas so as to give them agency.

Glowy ghost / bad platformer isn't art BTW

raton fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 13, 2015

• Locked thread