Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Foid One posted:

This reminds me of the classic Obama "cash for clunkers" ploy in which he destroyed the used car market, harming the working class... in order to benefit.. Car dealers? The worst people on earth? *fail horn plays*

thanks obama

Marxalot posted:

The previous owner of my lovely explorer went through 3 automatic transmissions. I've had to burn a couple grand on parts for this POS myself.

I think the lesson to be learned is don't own a ford that's older than a couple years old (they actually make good cars again)

Foid One posted:

Ya these guys are fucktards. Cars don't really "break down" in this day and age. Mine had 150 k miles when I bought it 3 years ago. The biggest repair I've paid for is some back suspension linkage that I messed up myself due to fail
Aids .

New cars do because they're starting to be designed to only be serviceable by the dealership re: audi service position. When you can't perform basic maintenance on your own car, it suddenly becomes pretty easy to get in deeper than the car's worth once these cars begin to depreciate. Cars are basically designed to be disposable at this point.

By contrast I could throw a new 20-40k miles motor in my car for $300-400 including the cost of tools assuming I started with nothing but the toolkit provided with the car, and a teenager could figure out how to do it in an afternoon with youtube videos or a manual.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

etalian posted:

both Honda and Toyota have big quality problems.

My 2002 Accord runs great and has required no maintenence other than oil, tires, and brakes. I bought it new in 2002 with cash and have had no problems with it. My dad's 1991 Accord still runs to this day with 300k miles. My step sister drives it. Brother drives an Acura MDX from 2005-ish and has had no problems with it. My stepmother drove her Odyssey into the ground. I think it had 250k miles when she traded it in for a new Odyssey, but it was still working. Can't speak for new Hondas/Acuras but the old ones run forever.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 14, 2015

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dick Fagballzson posted:

My 2002 Accord runs great and has required no maintenence other than oil, tires, and brakes. I bought it new in 2002 with cash and have had no problems with it.

Your car has issues:

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord/2002/

How many miles?

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
Those transmission issues were with the automatic version. I have the manual version. The manual version has no transmission issues. 85k miles.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

unsurprised body/paint is #2, I live in one of the most rust-free states in the country and regularly see 2-3 year old Hondas and Toyotas with pretty significant amounts of rust. priuses especially seem to fall apart cosmetically QUICK if they aren't maintained.

also point is, hondas reputation for building reliable cars has been outdated for a solid 15+ years. also hondas have been boring as poo poo for about the same amount of time. toyota can still make a good car, but they're universally boring and occasionally offensively bad. however lexus is the most reliable car manufacturer and makes one or two decent cars so toyota has shown us that they are still capable of making a good car.

my sister drives a 19 year old lexus with a ton of miles that has had a check engine light on for about 40,000 miles and she hasn't done any maintenance to it short of buying tire rack rimzzzz, I think the oil gets changed maybe once every 10-15k miles on conventional and its still running.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 14, 2015

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
Who cares about cosmetics if the engine runs forever? I routinely see 20+ year old Hondas and Toyotas still on the road. All American cars are crushed cubes in the junk yard by that point. The only other cars that last that long are Mercedes and BMWs, but those are expensive to maintain. My car before the Accord was a 20 year old (at that point) Mercedes 240D that was getting too expensive to keep running.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 14, 2015

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Never knew about this site, went to check my car and there was only 3 minor complaints :hfive:

edit: My first car newer than 15 years old that I bought 3 months ago in cash, 2011 Mazda2

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Dick Fagballzson posted:

Who cares about cosmetics if the engine runs forever? I routinely see 20+ year old Hondas and Toyotas still on the road. All American cars are crushed cubes in the junk yard by that point. The only other cars that last that long are Mercedes and BMWs.

i saw that ninja edit, i was going to say

and 5 series of the era.

also pre chrysler mercedes are some good poo poo. my friend's family has some little 68hp early 70's mercedes diesel sedan and outside of a bunch of dents and pitting on the painted wheels, looks great and is still rust free and running with over 1.2 million miles on the chassis and block. motor has been rebuilt once at 800k, trans replaced once at 600k, but still, they just don't make cars like that.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 14, 2015

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
people dont always buy cars to get a good deal

sort of like how you spend a bunch of your money on like warhammer figurines and stuff it's just a nice thing to buy with your money

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

CISMALES DID 9-11 posted:

people dont always buy cars to get a good deal

sort of like how you spend a bunch of your money on like warhammer figurines and stuff it's just a nice thing to buy with your money

financing a car is also not a horrible way to build credit if you have a soul and find enjoyment in the car. i've always been die-hard about never wanting to buy a new car but i'm seriously considering buying a new f150 in a few years depending on if ford actually delivers on the weight reduction they've been promising. or if they ever made a fiesta RS i would probably buy that. i don't like new cars because of the direction cars are going though, not because i think buying a new car is a stupid thing to do.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
Depends on what it is and if there's a lot of money to be saved. I replaced a window regulator once. It was $25 and took under an hour. That saved me $400 over having the dealer do it. $400 towards something I'll enjoy a lot more than a window regulator.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Bought an '01 Honda for 5k, wrecked it two years later, got 9k from the insurance company, and bought an '01 oldsmobile for 4k. That's my experience with used cars.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I drive a 2004 Saab wagon with loving heated and air conditioned seats and I still miss my leaky rag top 89 Saab. Now that was a piece of poo poo. Nothing more fun than replacing the water pump with 4 inches of space between the pump and the firewall. After taking all the belts off.

For my first time ever.

I narrowly avoided the sludging years. 2004+ Saab 9-5?? loving STEALS.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Also makes sense to avoid a new model makeover like the 2006 Civic, since all the new parts tends to mean more recalls and reliability problems.

My 2006 Civic had around 5 recalls against it.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

zen death robot posted:

i pay other people to do my car maintenance because i can afford to

I work on my own car (when within the realm of my experience level/ability to wing it) for the sake of knowing that the job is done correctly, more than anything. For instance it costs me more money, in addition to more effort to change my own oil, but I do it anyways because I've seen quite a few motors get hosed because the local meth addicts at jiffy lube don't torque the sump plug back on. Or more commonly, everything gets torqued on to whatever the air tools happen to be set to because that's whats quickest and suddenly you're breaking bolts everywhere when you work on your car. Sure you'd probably notice your car making GBS threads oil down the highway, but I don't even want to chance it. Also have had a mechanic install garden hose in the cooling system of one of my cars before, on a job I could have done myself for 1/20th the cost.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 14, 2015

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Foid One posted:

LOL if you do anything other than buy a used car from a private seller :D on Craigslist or whatever. If you've ever even set foot on a car dealership lot just write N00b on your freeakin forehead.

Foid One posted:

Hell I'll say it, If you buy a new car or "certified pre owned" for the "warranty" instead of
Just fixing the car yourself or occasionally bringing to a local mechanic...You aren't a real American ....

Foid One posted:

This reminds me of the classic Obama "cash for clunkers" ploy in which he destroyed the used car market, harming the working class... in order to benefit.. Car dealers? The worst people on earth? *fail horn plays*

This guy gets it.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 279 days!)

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I drive a 2004 Saab wagon with loving heated and air conditioned seats and I still miss my leaky rag top 89 Saab.

I narrowly avoided the sludging years.

:ssh: Any of the first gen 9-x left are obviously taken care of, or will tell you on test drive (when oil light comes on when taking a corner).

I love my sludgers.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I bought a new hybrid, because with the cost of fuel on an older car, you end up paying almost as much to own old piece of poo poo. Plus I have grownup credit, so my loan is at about 2% APR.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 279 days!)

look at how wrong everybody is here

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

Infinite Karma posted:

I bought a new hybrid, because with the cost of fuel on an older car, you end up paying almost as much to own old piece of poo poo. Plus I have grownup credit, so my loan is at about 2% APR.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/bmw-520d-beats-toyota-prius-in-fuel-economy-test-ar54284.html

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
yeah i just buy high mileage japanese cars for the most part. 150k mile camry (with a v6 and 5speed) I bought for 3 grand? Lasted me past 250k and was still running strong before I sold it for 2 grand to buy a cherokee (don't do this, the 4.0 is unkillable but the rest of the thing will slowly and annoyingly fall apart).

Subaru outback with 220k on it? New headgaskets are the only lovely part with this, but that's like $3000 at a mechanic every 110k miles and you gotta do the timing belt around then anyway. If you can do your own work it's a lot more affordable too. Bought for like $4000.

Wife has a toyota matrix xrs with a yamaha designed engine that is basically like a super reliable hatchback corolla crossed with a crotch rocket, cost her $5000 with less than 100k miles on it, she actually kinda got ripped off because it was from a used car dealer but they wanted 8k and we paid cash. you could do even better money wise if you bought the pontiac vibe (same car)

basically if you don't do research ahead of time and try your best to get a car designed by a company that gives a poo poo in a country that actually gives a poo poo (so like lexus, toyota, new hyundais) you're a fuckin rube who deserves to get ripped off

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
im getting a microloan to lease a car to Uber people around for SXSW and make some serious cabbage

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Infinite Karma posted:

I bought a $3,000 bike to commute on. It gets about 40-45mpg.

Also probably about to buy a small pickup truck. That should leave me with about $15,000 to play with vs. a prius.

BMWs are expensive though.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 14, 2015

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Hey guys check out my new LIME GREEN HUMMER

It's green, so it's pretty good for the environment. This is important as I like to talk to people about saving the environment and how could I do that without something marketed as saving the environment?

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Adiabatic posted:

Hey guys check out my new LIME GREEN HUMMER

It's green, so it's pretty good for the environment. This is important as I like to talk to people about saving the environment and how could I do that without something marketed as saving the environment?

i dont believe thats you

there are no black goons

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

West SAAB Story posted:

look at how wrong everybody is here

do they still make saabs? what kind do you have?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Marxalot posted:

I bought a $3,000 bike to commute on. It gets about 40-45mpg.

Also probably about to buy a small pickup truck. That should leave me with about $15,000 to play with vs. a prius.
Not a terrible choice. I got an Insight when they still made them, only $20,000 vs. a Prius. Also, not everyone knows this, but financing for used cars is way worse. It's almost free for new cars, but almost credit card levels for used cars. If you have cash, congrats on being a richgoon.

quote:

BMWs are expensive though.
Plus that is a highway trial. Most people drive city, or at least in traffic. But lol at buying a BMW to save money.

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

zen death robot posted:

i pay other people to do my car maintenance because i can afford to

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013
I could easily build a car from scrap, but I'm a busy man

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013
I would prefer to spend the time maintaining my helicopter. and hovercraft

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Infinite Karma posted:

Yeah plus due to QE in the USA all sorts of loans are really cheap.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Infinite Karma posted:

You're lucky to be breaking even with increased complexity + maintenance costs especially if you don't do your own work & your car is awful for the environment. Should have bought a Fiesta or something.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

HEY VAPER posted:

You're lucky to be breaking even with increased complexity + maintenance costs especially if you don't do your own work & your car is awful for the environment. Should have bought a Fiesta or something.

Maintenance is cheap...? It's repairs that cost a lot, and on a new car, they're under warranty (not that cars generally need repairs before 100k miles anyway). Buy new car, keep for 8 or so years, buy another new car, repeat, and the worst thing you'll have to buy are new tires.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Infinite Karma posted:

Maintenance is cheap...? It's repairs that cost a lot, and on a new car, they're under warranty (not that cars generally need repairs before 100k miles anyway). Buy new car, keep for 8 or so years, buy another new car, repeat, and the worst thing you'll have to buy are new tires.

Oh you're one of those people who neglects maintanence and treats cars like they're disposable. Yep it can be pretty cheap to maintain a car if all you do in 100k miles (are you buying a hyundai? do other cars even come with 100k warranties?) is buy tires. Explains why every first and second gen prius I see on the road looks like it's 30 years old and we're already living in a dystopian future of run down 2009 hybrids in... 2015?

psyman
Nov 1, 2008
Normal cars are lame, buy a velomobile pod car and stop wasting fuel+space lugging empty seats around. These are recumbent tricycles that can have an electric assist added as well, and the pedal power is about 4x more than a normal bicycle so it can be used for longer mid-range commutes. The majority of able bodied people could feasibly replace their car with a velomobile for city driving, as you can easily hit 30+ MPH and don't have to worry about parking as they only weigh about 30kgs and can be carried inside. They do cost upwards of $5k-$10k though:

Flevobike Orca

OceanCycle Challenger

psyman
Nov 1, 2008
Here's a sweet first-person vid of a guy driving a velomobile through my great home city of Brisbane:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXIAu2b_rHw

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

psyman posted:

Normal cars are lame, buy a velomobile pod car and stop wasting fuel+space lugging empty seats around. These are recumbent tricycles that can have an electric assist added as well, and the pedal power is about 4x more than a normal bicycle so it can be used for longer mid-range commutes. The majority of able bodied people could feasibly replace their car with a velomobile for city driving, as you can easily hit 30+ MPH and don't have to worry about parking as they only weigh about 30kgs and can be carried inside. They do cost upwards of $5k-$10k though:

Flevobike Orca

OceanCycle Challenger

yeah i need to get one of those suppositories to drive right up ur but

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

psyman posted:

Flevobike Orca

OceanCycle Challenger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQh56geU0X8

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012

FIRST TIME posted:

I own several 90s luxury cars and I pay very little to maintain them because I'm not a moron and know how to work on and maintain a car.

Not having a car payment is awesome but if I was going to go that route I would actually finance a car that I own when it's paid off. It's not hard if you buy a car that's not a complete piece of poo poo that you'll be stuck with in the end.

you claim to not be a moron but you own 90s luxury cars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Jerry Steinfeld posted:

you claim to not be a moron but you own 90s luxury cars

e34, e36, e39, LS400, just to name a few good cars that are also 90s luxury cars

• Locked thread