Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
If you're still taking recruits sign me up. I'd prefer to be a soldier but if you need pilots that's fine. Give me an Australian voice if I'm a soldier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I find the exploitation of the AI, such as the tile counting fairly interesting personally. If you did it more it might get tiring for me but so far I personally haven't been bothered by it.

I'd like to change my enlistment request though, if possible I'd like to any class but have psi abilities as you have mentioned getting them earlier on in Longest War.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

"Free Range" Eggsaisle.

I like this one.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Car Bomb sounds good to me! Let's go with it.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Just adding in my 2c;

I don't mind the longer tactical discussions and quite enjoy listening to them. However I can appreciate why other people might not. Were they removed, I would not be very distressed about it. Having some skips to where the action starts, like you did with the railyard mission, could also work if you wanted to consider that.

This is just feedback though. I'm enjoying the LP overall and I normally don't watch VLPs much and would probably continue to watch it regardless of what editing changes were made.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Gridlocked posted:

:justpost: MORE VIDS

I am hungry to see what becomes of me.

I await to see if I will make it into the squad! I think there are a few people in the queue before me at least.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I felt that all the quick jerky movements at 6x speed made me feel a little uncomfortable. My personal preference is either slow it down a bit (which might be tough given your video was already an hour long) or edit them out entirely as suggested.

Also that was some nice luck, you got some good rolls on those lower hit rates early on!

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I think the map is a much better option, plus it gives us an idea as to the position and layout of the map, which I sometimes get confused about.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
The sample video was good, and meld finds and other stuff would be pretty cool if you want to do that!

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
When it says "Squad Size limited on this mission" does that mean you have not unlocked that slot yet, or you are being limited to 6 people still on certain missions?

You're lucky in your bad luck Nekomimi! It could have been much worse for you.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
So with the terror mission in Australia, will that free the country, or does it just increase panic elsewhere if you fail?

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I haven't had a chance to watch the video yet, but hooray for rescuing people from my city! :toot:

The mission sounds like it was rough.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Yeah you're getting slammed by missions right now. At least the last one went pretty smooth except for that yolo Thinman.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I'm still here (been busy, have to catch up on the last two updates still) but I think I'll be waiting a while since I asked to be a psychic (if possible) on page 7 and you're still a way off of there. Both in terms of tech I think and also people in queue before me.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

SaffronKit posted:

I think part of the problem with wanting to be Psychic is that you either will or won't be and I imagine you have a pretty crap chance of being psychic as a rookie due to the way it works, and probably because Booty would rather stick people he's using already in the tubes.

But then again, we haven't really gotten to psy stuff in long war yet so maybe the way it's determined is different!

Ah. The impression I got was you could start it earlier and I remember in vanilla, because of the officer school unlocks it was easier to make later recruits psychics because of the will bonus on promotion unlocks; so I thought it might be easier for me to be a psychic later on.

Honestly I'm not really too attached to any one role, it'd just be neat if possible.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

ProfessorBooty posted:

I'll sign you up as a rookie - almost every class has a subclass that makes a decent psychic, and I'll go for what that subclass is. In general the classes are starting to fill out so I don't have to worry as much about the numbers. The only classes I'm lacking right now are snipers and support engineers. If I want a soldier to be a psychic, that soldier will eventually be one.

Sounds great! If you want any more details, make me have an Aussie voice and make my rookie a guy. Maybe I can be one of the people you rescued from Melbourne or something.

I'm also looking forward to seeing the new Mec and Psi stuff in Long War, even if you're still a ways off with research. The LP is really good so I hope you keep going with it.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally caught up on the last few missions. The new format is really working well, we get an idea of where stuff is on the map and you explain what you're doing and why but cut out the waiting games.

As for Colonel Cubeazon, I don't think the few extra stats will make a huge difference and I don't really mind them. Especially if you get another :xcom: moment like with Zen Vulgarity. :(

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Poor Cedric, you shall be missed.

A few stumbles and missteps just make your successes and triumphs look even better Prof, don't let it get to you.

Out of curiosity are there plans to give dead soldiers a second go, a clone or long lost twin, the such?

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
That was a pretty smooth mission, I was nervous with that missclick but it worked out pretty well for you in the end Prof!

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
While that rookie mission was harsh, the last mission was pretty satisfying. You cleaned up well and got good luck, except for that crash to desktop.

There's something really goofy about all of the laser weapons. More so than the plasma weapons. I am curious to see what the new tech tiers use for their visual effects.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

ProfessorBooty posted:

Unfortunately X-net hasn't been implemented yet but contractors plan on installing the needed infrastructure sometime next month. For some reason the contractors are from Australia, which, as you know, is in the midst of alien subjugation.

Jokes on everyone, we don't believe in deploying modern communications networks anyway so the contractors are either a hoax or running with the money.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I'm voting for Mister as well!

While you might not have gotten that Sectoid, you had some good rolls with the two captures you did get Prof. There's something nice about the increased squad size in Long War, even if it does make missions take even longer. It's nice to be able to bring more niche roles, and do things like have dedicated scouts or capturers. In the base game, and the bits of EW I have played (which I should finish) I always feel like I need to make my squad more generalised and able to handle any situation. Although I might just not be playing well, which is entirely possible given my experience is largely finishing the base game once on Normal, playing through half of it on Classic and playing the bits of EW on Classic. Plus I save scum like all heck. I don't know how you roll with the punches and keep coming out so well, save for the few disasters you've had.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Van Doorn won't go down without a fight.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Has it been explained what the numbers below the XP on the soldier status screen in purple, the ones with the Psi icon next to them, what they mean? I am assuming it has to do with the new Long War psi stuff but I don't remember it being mentioned and they have been showing up for a little bit now.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Caught up again, and we seem to be doing well on the ground game at least on a mission by mission basis. Nice to see the troops pulling through. I think I can start to see where the risk in the skipping the 1.5 tech tier plan that you're doing comes in though. Or were you skipping tier 2? I forget what you said as it was a while ago Prof. But I can see the risks now, either way.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Caught up on the thread and the last few videos were really rough. Looking forward to Gauss party time though.

Is retreating something you should expect to do in LW? Or did Prof just get bad activations and make some bad choices?

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Probably it's too late for me to vote, but Stacked sounds good to me!

Also the Psi stuff looks more interesting and more developed than the base game, which is a nice change. Having some stuff being locked behind autopsies and interrogations makes a lot of sense.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
If I was in these situations I'd quit the game and do something that frustrated me less with bullshit RNG, or just cheat to get my revenge on it. While the extra options in LW are pretty appealing, I am not sure that the difficulty is my cup of tea at all. So I enjoy watching someone else play through it, and someone much better than myself.

RIP Legoman, you shall be missed.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
:toot:

It's me! And yes it's with a z and not an s, confusing I know. Sorry I couldn't be an Assault for you, but I'm glad I turned out to be something needed anyway.

What do we need Mutons for out of curiosity?

As for Lotish, my problem is I keep thinking of the Pokemon! But TLC seems good to me.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Lotish posted:

There is a pokemon named Lotish? I've heard of Oddish because my kids watch the show sometimes, but that's new to me.

No actually I was just thinking of Lotad. It's been a while since I played the Gameboy Advance ones. (Also it was midnight when I made the post)

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I am eagerly awaiting part two! Also I have to agree that in this situation you were justified in reloading. You already had a pretty surprising and crazy mission, and this bug (or interaction) is pretty rough.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

megane posted:

He's a covert operative, of course it's hard to see him.

Well, perhaps less seeing and more noticing and standing out.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Wow, I really rolled incredibly in that mission. But please don't turn me into a horrible monkey's paw guys! Naming me lucky or something is just going to end up with some situation where I'm on a mission where one or more people die but I successfully evac without injury. It's just begging for a :xcom: moment!

Spotter sounds good to me though, but if Prof gets me to capture more aliens, might I also suggest Ketchum as an alternative?

Akratic Method posted:

Next rookie gets pre-assigned the nickname "Fresh Meat"

ProfessorBooty posted:

I'm always a fan of naming future officers (that aren't a part of the original 4 or 5) variations of cute names you'd give to a child.

Uhh...this does not sound like a very child friendly name!

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Can...someone explain the Ashley thing? Because I'm not getting it which is hilarious given it's apparently going to be the nickname for my virtual avatar.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Finally caught up with the thread and videos. Thankyou friends for helping me with my poor memory and reading comprehension previously! :v:

What can I say? After watching Nekomimi in action and helping her out I was taking notes. *boom*

Missing high accuracy shots is annoying but we had gotten lucky with some low accuracy shots before that so it wasn't too bad. Just painfully coincidental. Me only other comment on randomness in XCOM and LW, is that we have an :xcom: emote for a reason.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Yami Fenrir posted:

I just wanna point out that you've been on more missions than me already (I think even double?), despite coming later. Thanks, long rear end LW sickbay times. :negative:

I noticed this myself! And you were available for that last one as well. I am sure you'll get a chance to shine soon though.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Finally caught up on about 8 hours of Long War!

And ouch. Plasma shot form down town, but I'm alive at least.

Trends say I'm likely to go with Ashley it seems.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Yeah that is not something I would have expected to occur so I agree, rerecord.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Mechanics are less essential in the face of aggressive save scumming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally finished two months of crunch time and boy, do I have a lot of Long War to catch up on! I hope no one else died since the end of November.

• Locked thread