Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

i'll join if both winvirus and qpq are actually in (i dont see them on the player list yet)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

hello i am confirmed

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

so since none of us have really taken charge and started the game i'm assuming we're all 3p of some sort?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

a worthy uhh posted:

3pclaim ITP ##vote Ernie

why even pretend you're town? if everyone claims their win-con now we can see which aren't mutually exclusive

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

QuoProQuid posted:

Then why haven't you claimed your win-con?

because it's controversial

i have to make sure the game's doctor, cop, and all the scum die

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

what's yours qpq friend?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

hello turns out my claim was a joke but it got us all talking :D

proof it was a joke: qpq has correctly guessed that i copied my claim from when i was a 3p in an older game, and also why would i believe there is no town if i'm told that i have to get rid of the cop, doctor and scum in my wincon?

on-to bigger and better things:

##vote capitalistpig

players who've played with me fewer times might be tricked by the sincerity that i display when i fake-claim at the beginning of my games, but by now he's seen me do it 30+ times, there's no chance he took it seriously

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

here's a link to the last time i did this with cpig in the game, less than two weeks ago

he was scum there, but his reaction is consistent throughout our histories of playing together where he simply calls bullshit on my shenanigans (i'm too lazy to find an example when he was town)

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

a worthy uhh posted:

last time he was scum and called you out, this time he believed you and that makes him scum?

hi, i know this reading comprehension thing is difficult for you considering you found my claim believable, but did you try reading the sentence as a whole?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

a worthy uhh posted:

you're implying that he always "calls your bullshit" and gave a game where he was scum as an example of that

but in this game he believes you, and that makes him scum, as opposed to all of the times where he was town OR scum and didn't

h-hello, can i get a replacement for the prosecution, your honor?

i don't feel like it's right to defend against this line of logic

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

maybe consider the similarities: in both cases cpig exploited my claim to vote me off the bat

opop is another player who always calls my bullshit, and he has done no such thing

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Amoeba102 posted:

Anyone who didn't realise Ernie was joking is either new to playing with Ernie, or really dense (sorry).
Cpig should know Ernie was lying, so you have one of two choices: CPig is playing along for once or he thought he could get a vote on Ernie easily.

Does CPig play along with stuf ever?

Amoeba gets it! :)

He plays along to generate reactions, some times by asking people what reason they have to not vote me or similar things! Here he just helped momentum build!

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

CapitalistPig posted:

Honestly I'm just shocked anyone's taking anything seriously right now, the game just started.

aha! and so the truth comes out!

cpig thinks cpig was scummy!!

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Opopanax posted:

I absolutely have. It's like the main thing I've done so far

has done no such thing: didn't exploit it to vote me!

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

You need to be more like me, Keane. I am the one who knocks ... until someone else finally realizes that I'm not raising all night long and I'm unreadable.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

100yrs don't listen to me on this case, I guess. My stuff in the discussion thread is independent of this game.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

This is unrelated to the discussion thread and is general meta/experience stuff for me. First you've given accurate advice previously, which I've ignored, and I want to take into consideration this time. 2nd I feel your trustworthy enough, I thought your joke claim was clearly a joke and that we had people tripping all over it is somewhat surprising. 3rd, I still find Cpig's post pretty disingenuous. If you don't want me to listen to you on this case why're you still voting Cpig? Also what're your thoughts on winvirus.

Okay, but I'd still like you to vote CPig if you find him scummy, not based on a case I made. This feels weird because this is exactly what I'd like to be able to do but I feel like it's both unearned and it's making me feel weaker about my read.

As for winnie, he just hasn't really said anything yet for me to have a read. It feels like a typical winnie post where he just peaces out after the lightest of reading.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Quandary posted:

How long have you been playing mafia? I'm kinda laughing at the idea that you feel someone is trustworthy like a third of the way through day 1

how long have you been playing? i generally find half the game trustworthy after d1

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Just because numerikk is a 3rd party doesn't mean he's anti-town. If he's trying to kill scum than he's on our side, even if he has an alternate win condition. This doesn't mean I necessarily believe his claim though.

you realize an sk has to dunk mafia with their night action, right?

if they only dunk townies the mafia will eventually find them!

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Good point, I didn't think of an SK. But I think what I said still stands. 3P doesn't necessarily mean anti-town.

good answer, i was just trying to see if you're going-with-the-flow narc or super-townie narc :D

numerrik posted:

Also, not 3p, pm specifically said town aligned.

you are definitely krell's second coming is what you are

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Unlike KCW faking an opinion, QPQ came back with the results of his search and opinions based off them (i.e. he doesn't like my case, but independently finds cpig scummy).

That's both content and effort.

If you don't think people should read into that for alignment, then what should they look for?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

merk posted:

I'm asking Glock here and am concerned that you felt the need to jump in to whiteknight. I think that's scummy actually: ##vote Ernie

I'm not white-knighting, I'm attacking your case. Your case is based on faulty premises. Just because the wrong person pointed it out doesn't mean you can avoid the question.

If you can't think someone is townie based on effort and content, then what can you think they're townie for? Additionally, you've played hundreds of games, have you never seen a town player think someone else is townie for putting in Too Much Effort?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

merk posted:

He thought QPQ was town because 'that post was awesome.' I was mining out what that meant... because that means nothing.

he told what it means when you asked:

Glockenapfel posted:

I like the fact that he was willing to do homework that helps out newer and lazier players like me. The results are fairly inconclusive, but the willingness to do it is towny I think.

Additionally, your case is:

merk posted:

I don't really agree that you can glean anything about QPQ's alignment from the effort he put in because the effort goes nowhere. I think you made this up.

But now you say it's because they're saying meaningless things. Which is it? Do you think Glock is saying meaningless words, or reading into things that aren't there in a scummy way?

And for the third time: The post I just quoted says that it's reading into effort for alignment and I just asked you a question about why that's wrong when it's accompanied with content and an analysis of motivation.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Glockenapfel posted:

I also noticed in looking back briefly that CPig was the third vote on Ernie. That makes him look worse to me.
##vote CPig

For the record, this is the core of my argument against CPig.

If his motivation was 'to help ernie's gambit' then he wouldn't have been the third vote (2 votes is already enough information). All his vote did was add momentum, and CPig is a player who even though he doesn't admit it, plays with momentum a lot some times leaving his vote on players for days on end.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

CCKeane posted:

I am not planning on moving my vote, however.

what?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

numerrik posted:

Town aligned elite bodyguard

you are amazing

i feel like i'm band class and you're the one kid a whole bar off

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

that's not the town alignment name
revolutionaries don't have elite bodyguards, kings do
bodyguards don't seek out and kill people

1 and 2 are wrong?

is ecco trolling us?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

huh
i win when scum all eliminated and my alignment isn't called town

well, it's your alignment and therefore isn't private never-to-be-public mod communication

what is it called?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

i'm not sure i should claim it, it might be important

okay it's up to you

didn't you think it was strange that no one else noticed that 'town-aligned' was said?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

numerrik posted:

I am Town aligned now go rage quit Merc. I'm just having fun and spending my off hours high. You're los your poo poo over a flavorful mafia game on a comedy forum.

catching up now haha i hope everyone has piled the gently caress on numerrik for this one

merk posted:

No, you are not.

##vote numerrik

Goodbye, thread.

haha knew it! fwiw, i agree with merk's conclusion. maybe having numerrik around isn't as valuable as not having him around.

The Ninth Layer posted:

Everyone pay attention to Somber's attempts to characterize Numerik as "A KILLING ROLE" with a win condition that "CAN LET HIM WIN WITH THE SCUM!" and how he escalates the degree to which Numerik must be lying about everything. It's scare-tactics casing.

Scum love to case players for being third-party because they get to say "this guy isn't town!!" loudly and with confidence. This is what Somber is doing and it's taken to the absolute extreme.

no, it's town paranoia. scum would realize that a bodyguard would never target themselves and would plan on killing numerrik eventually. only a townie would escalate their lack-of-control over what they don't know as somber has.

a worthy uhh posted:

This is a horrifically scummy hyperbolic oversimplification

a worthy uhh posted:

This is another hyperbolic oversimplification that is intentionally ignoring information that doesn't fit the idea he wants to push

##vote somber

lol i feel like MiR just read posts on a surface level without actually reading their context or what they mean

for example my post was poking a player about how they simplified their thoughts

and somber's was about highlighting that numerrik had first soft-claimed 3p before claiming town

all around terrible posts

##unvote
##vote a worthy uhh

QuoProQuid posted:

I <3 how Numerrik gets increasingly sinister as Somberbero's post history continues. It starts off as a policy lynch and slowly becomes a huge existential threat that must be eliminated. It's an absolutely hilarious escalation over the course of three pages.

qpq gets it, it's like group-think but it's a solo act and it happens all the time when you think you have to stand your ground in mafia

nowhere in somber's posts do i feel like he's trying to convince ninth of anything, ergo, i don't think he knows ninth's alignment

Amoeba102 posted:

Why is merk town?

He seems to me like he's being obstinate on points, twisted poor play as something scummy, and excused himself with a policy vote.

merk is obstinate but his motivation for posting is clear, it's not to lead town or direct the game his way but to prod players

merk is playing like an rear end in a top hat but I know he's town. I may know something about him. Just trust me, guys.

imgay posted:

##vote AnonymousNarcotics

just ... noise

Quandary posted:

P-Mom literally said that he does not win with the town, which means he likely does not have incentive to look for scum, and possibly has incentive to actively avoid looking for scum

Pinterest Mom posted:

Well now you're just lying.

wow no kidding, bet you anything that that was a scum-slip. quandary doesn't know what you actually said because he got a cliff-notes version from the scumdoc.

The Ninth Layer posted:

First of all, he said from the start his win condition was pro-town

i agree with everything you've said/done, ninth, but claiming a win condition that is pro-town deals with his secondary win condition (i.e. kill someone to leave the game), which is not the town win condition. by definition, as it's currently claimed, numerrik's is not the town win condition.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Somberbrero posted:

If you can't see the benefit in lunching a player who isn't town that kills other players then I don't know what to tell you. I don't know if Numerrik is a serial-killer but it's definitely a possibility.

This is a pointless argument. As far as numerrik's role is claimed he can only kill someone with a killing role by visiting someone else. This is easily provable depending on how people flip, even. If he's a serial killer then scum want him gone as much as we do and they'll figure a way out to get it done. Can we table this argument now?

Somberbrero posted:

Narco is scum because she's already retreating to attacking her own play. Which is good, because if she wasn't pointing out how dumb it is that she's making a meta vote based on a game and a half I would probably be calling her rude names. She's also made lurker callouts and content callouts despite offering very little content herself, there's a lot of posting without saying anything.

'Narco has offered content, but she hasn't offered content.' What?

Her contributions seem fine to me. She's more concerned with protecting players than attacking them, which in my opinion is something a town player does far more often than scum.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Jedit posted:

There's a difference between role and alignment. For example, you could claim to be 3P Survivor when you're actually an SK. (Heck, you could even claim the Survivor win condition as an SK without technically lying; you're telling the truth that you'll win if you're alive at game end, just omitting that you count as a threat to Town and so the game won't end when all the scum die.)

I don't recall ever seeing a true claim of Town+. Occasionally I've seen a Townie who won't win unless an additional condition applies, but never one who can win without the rest of the Town. So I'm secure in thinking numerrik is lying about something, and as he's also claimed a kill action I'm not comfortable with leaving him alive.

Lest you think I'm tunnelling: other people on my "shopping list" for today are T9L, Pin Mom and Quandary. I already explained the first, but for the other I'm pretty drat sure that Quandary and Pin Mom are not on the same team. I am phone posting right now and will not be around at deadline because it's 3am here, but there's a window between where I should be able to explain in more detail.

This entire post is an argumentum ad ignorantiam. I've seen and been Town+ before. Has your case fallen apart because of that?

You think Ninth is scum for defending Numerrik. And you think PMom and Quandary aren't on the same team when PMom has claimed to be on a completely different alignment than everybody else? I feel like that's a read that you have because you haven't fully read the thread proper and just feel compelled to comment anyway.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Somberbrero posted:

Defending players is not a pro-town action because it doesn't find scum, it just stymies discussion. Content lurking is a thing.

It's a pro-town action if Narc actively stops us from making wrong arguments. She stopped the merk discussion effectively, for what I'm sure are going to turn out to be good reasons. She was a background-blending scum player, and I'm sure she's that kind of person as a town player as well (i.e. offer opinions that won't get her killed by the scum).

Also something that stymies discussion is sticking your fingers in your ears and repeating the same arguments Ninth shot down when he's not around pushing the same case hopelessly and relentlessly.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Can someone read Jedit's post that I quoted above and tell me if you get a vibe of 'i have to list players, now, so i'll list two town and one scum to confuse people if i flip'? That feels like that kind of post.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Somberbrero posted:

I'd rather have a wrong argument than no argument at all.

There is no other content being pushed. The vote that's going to go through is on me. I think merk is scum but he's excused himself from the conversation. I'm happy to talk about other cases but there are none.

Okay, well I've pushed some content on MiR and Quandary. Admittedly it was in one of my long posts so no one even reads them, but can you check it out?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Somberbrero posted:

I have trouble reading MiR because it just reads like another one of the lovely votes on me.

You're a real soft-touch with Quandary but I do find his behavior inconsistent and strange.

Right but you don't find the fact that he isn't actually reading the thread problematic? Like he missed the entire context for his votes. It looks like he went in looking for something to backup his conclusion and came out with something he can pretend was voteworthy.

As for Quandary, I know it's tenuous, but the last time I made this argument it was on Asiina in a game where everyone had to submit some stat-selection stuff in an rpg-like thing. She came into the thread and said 'Ah, I don't know what all the numbers mean but I submitted something anyway'. I immediately asked her if that's because the scum-team told her what to put in and turned out to be right. There are some actions I think are difficult to happen if you're not talking to someone outside the game. No where near Quandary's posts do you see anyone summarizing PMom's actions/soft-claims of being a 3P, but Quandary still assumes it.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

I mean Quandary explains it away by saying he used the wrong words, but it's impossible to say that that's true because he said PMom has a mutually exclusive win-con with town which never happened!

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Okay, so let's see if the thread can have conversation in this direction then

##vote Quandary

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Somber is totally scum because I know for sure that 2/4 of those people are town aligned, and I believe numerriks claim. I just went back to reread quandary based on ernies post and I see nothing suspicious. Now that somber wants to vote him though, I'm pretty sure he's not scum. BECAUSE SOMBER IS SCUM.

Nah, I don't think Somber is scum. Let me just copy my dear friend QPQ's thoughts into here

Look at how Quandary's thoughts evolve (click to follow-through):

QuoProQuid posted:

@Amoeba: What do you think of Quandry? I just went through his post history and besides a few jabs at 100 Years for pursuing CPig, his post history reads to me like a lot of non-commital noise and set-up discussion. There's no actual scumhunting. I refer in particular to:

It rubs me the wrong way, especially in light of the suspicion on CPig.

And look at how Somber's evolve (click to follow-through):

QuoProQuid posted:

I <3 how Numerrik gets increasingly sinister as Somberbero's post history continues. It starts off as a policy lynch and slowly becomes a huge existential threat that must be eliminated. It's an absolutely hilarious escalation over the course of three pages.

Quandary contradicts his own posting (because he's forgotten about posting in order to follow the thread's lead into a wrong direction). Somber's posting becomes more decided because he thinks he has something and wants the thread to listen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

asiina's in this game :wth:

scum imo

wouldn't it be hilarious if by the time she catches up we've already voted her out for lurking as a replacement?

• Locked thread