Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
(jump to votecount)

(source)

(source)
The Livireen is a land of contrasts: the hills are harsh and unforgiving, but the river valleys are bright and lush. A millennia ago, the earliest settlers built massive aqueducts, dams, and levees to control the water and bring life to even the driest stretches of the Livireen. But, whoever controlled the water controlled the world - tyrants and cruel masters regularly blocked off aqueducts to rebelling provinces until they fell back in line and learned their place.
But times are changing. The Livireen kings are engaged in a protracted war with Arrentia, diverting both soldiers and resources to the front, and a series severe droughts has made water even more scarce. With no end in sight and with crops beginning to fail, it was only a matter of time before things turned ugly.
A week ago, the citizens of the city of Madriu killed their prince and declared independence from the Livireen. As expected, the water was shut off; what was unexpected was the leader of the revolt being killed in her sleep. Left on her corpse was a note: "JOIN OR DIE." It was signed with the sigil of the King's Assassins.

(source)

Welcome to this game of mafia! This is a closed-setup game. However, it is a "traditional" game; there will be little that isn't featured on the SA Mafia Wiki or the Mafia flash thingy. However there might still be some surprises thrown your way! Who knows?

To sign up, simply say whether you want to play or be a replacement, whether or not you have PMs, your AIM if you have it, and your email address. I'm "eccoraven" via g-mail. IRC is the best way to get in touch with me outside of PMs, as I only check my email every other day or so.

The standard mafia rules apply: don't do anything that could be construed as "not in the spirit of mafia." But I'm not a huge stickler for rules, so as long as you don't break the game it'll probably be fine. For instance, feel free to edit your posts to fix things like formatting, even if you get caught by the ninja; just be honest about it.

However, please remember that I reserve the right to punish someone as I see fit for whatever thing they do.

My unique quirk: please ##unvote before re##voting. I will not count revotes without unvotes unless you are a double-voter. It doesn't matter what votebot says; votebot is just for your convenience, only the votecounts I present are to be assumed accurate and reliable. If you think you see a mistake in a votecount I have posted, please contact me privately so I may check it.

Posting is very important to me, however I will not expect you to be abuzz with posting things left and right. If you haven't posted for a while, I'll probably prod you with a PM casually, maybe with a "hey go post GO POST NOWWWW". If you have a reason why you're not posting, feel free to tell me -- I like to think I'm fairly reasonable. If you aren't posting and it's going to be a chronic problem, I'll ask if you want a replacement; it's up to you, I just want everyone to have a good time, you included. However, if you're put on probation for more than a day, then I will replace you without warning. So don't get probated!

Try not to post like an illiterate. I know capitalization and grammar are difficult, but you're all adults. A modicum of effort goes a long way. If your posting gets especially bad, you even risk being put on probation and then replaced. Neither you nor I want to have to deal with that.

Every game day will have a deadline. If majority voting has not been reached by then, the day will end with no execution. The Day 1 deadline will be at most 5 days long, and they'll only get shorter! Note that if I am ever for some reason unavailable for a deadline I've set, you should assume it to be floating.

If you are living with, or otherwise have direct RL contact with, another player in the game, please tell me when signing up. It won't affect your chances for playing the game, I just like to know these things in advance.

Anyway! This game is for 21 players. Players new and old are all welcome, however deferential treatment will be given to newer players.

Here we go!

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
------- :siren: SPECIAL GAME RULES :siren: -------
This game's executions will be in the Lights Out format. Upon the first player reaching enough votes to be executed, the deadline will change to 24 hours from hammer. Upon the second execution, the deadline will again reset to 12 hours from hammer. Then 6 hours, then 3 hours, and so on in that fashion. When a deadline is reached without a majority vote, or when the town hammers ##no hang, the day will end, all executed players will be flipped, and night will begin.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
:c: :c:

Player List:
1) 100YrsofAttitude
2) a worthy uhh
3) Amoeba102
4) AnonymousNarcotics
5) CapitalistPig
6) CCKeane
7) Ernie.
8) Glockenapfel Asiina
9) imgay
10) Jedit
11) Little Mac
12) Meinberg wins32767 chaoslord
13) merk
14) numerrik
15) Opopanax
16) Pinterest Mom
17) Quandary
18) QuoProQuid
19) Somberbrero
20) The Ninth Layer
21) winvirus

Flips:
Night 0: Varinn, Ana de la Lorca, Leader (town-aligned ecco cop), died.
Day 1: numerik, Alonso de la Reys, Veteran (town-aligned elite bodyguard), modkilled. Jedit, Augusto Tigroso, Killer (mafia-aligned hitman), executed.
Night 1: winvirus, ???, ??? (???-aligned ???), died.
Day 2: Quandary, ???, ??? (???-aligned), executed.
Night 2: QuoProQuid, ???, ??? (???-aligned ???), died.
Day 3: a worthy uhh/me in reverse, Imne Osrevni, Redhands (king-aligned janitor), executed. All the previously obscured flips are also revealed.
Night 3: Ernie., Ernesto Molina, Healer (revolution-aligned doctor), died.
Day 4: CCKeane, Carlos Quentino, Spy (king-aligned rolecop), executed. Little Mac, Jocasta Marino, Villager (town-aligned vanilla), executed.
Night 4: Pinterest Mom, Nilda Sosa, Dancer (revolution-aligned empowerer), died.
Day 5, Morning: Asiina, Manza de la Campa, Assassin (mafia-aligned goon), daykilled.
Day 5: CapitalistPig, Santiago Videla, Brute (mafia-aligned jailor), executed. Opopanax, Padraig Perez, Villager (town-aligned vanilla), executed.
Night 5: Nobody died during the night now isn't that interesting I wonder what it could mean.
Day 6: imgay, Modesto Olmo, Villager (town-aligned vanilla), executed. Somberbrero, Mayote "Mayo" Fuerte, Villager (town-aligned vanilla), executed. 100YrsofAttitude, Alfredo Guerre, Healer (mafia-aligned doctor), executed. chaoslord, Gonçal Salazar, Assassin (mafia-aligned goon), executed.

TOWN VICTORY
REVOLUTIONARY VICTORY
GAME OVER!!

Current Phase: GAME OVER
:h: N / A
:d: Deadline: N / A

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Apr 11, 2015

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

You called me a pedophile.

I demand a public apology.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
And yer out.

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Signing up as a replacement! I really wanna play but I'll be super busy irl until next friday.

I'm realistically speaking not going to get the game started until late this week anyway! Unless by next friday you mean the 28th.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

No I meant the 20. I'll totally play if it's not gonna start until then!

I will start the game before Friday, but I'll make sure Friday is part of day 1!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'll play Ecco. I can't promise quality but I can promise effort. I don't quite get the Lights Out Mechanism though.

"Deadline is for Monday at 11PM EST!"

"Meinberg was hammered Monday at 8:47PM EST. New deadline: Tuesday, 8:47PM EST."

"Dr. Hurt was hammered Tuesday, 4:46PM EST. New deadline: Wednesday, 4:46AM EST."

"Asiina was hammered Tuesday, 5:16PM EST. New deadline: Tuesday, 11:16PM EST."

"Town has voted to no-hang/it is 11:16PM EST and nobody has enough votes to execute."

:s: Meinberg, Town Vanilla, executed. Dr. Hurt, Town Doctor, executed. Asiina, Serial Killer, executed. :s:"

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Pinterest Mom posted:

is new deadline Monday 1 PM?
Yep!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Because I'm 100% positive you're not going to be able to hammer before a few hours prior to the deadline.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
You got banned when you signed up for one of my previous games QPQ, promise you won't get banned again okay!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I forgive you! We all make mistakes and say things we later regret (e.g. because we got banned for them); it is as human as apple pie.

Also if I don't get more signups by this time tomorrow-ish I'm going to retool the game for something smaller, so, get excited? Also harass your friends though, because I really like this setup!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I am a bad reader!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Ok so my excuse was I am a dumb who is also bad at being a person who isn't dumb.

e: I think I actually have everyone now. I have no idea why I farted in my brain between like fifteen posts.

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 16, 2015

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Don't be so hard on yourself! I didn't add you until you pointed yourself out. you're higher up on the list because Rurea backed out so I put you in his spot.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

merk posted:

Are you still two people short?

yep!

I want a cool nickname!

You are Anonnarco!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
SecretPharmacist, they're u happy know??

e: now everyone has a nickname that isn't just an abbreviation of their name, ARE YOU HAPPY YET? :(

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 17, 2015

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
help the peasants are revolting!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
That is 21!

I need to finish writing role PMs still (womp womp) but I will try to have the game up tomorrow or Thursday.

I know, Ecco promises are like grains of dust in a wind, but, it is the truthtimes 24/7!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Amoeba102 posted:

Could have gone with Protozoa or Eukaryote. Parabola might actually fit with the fact that I did do a maths major but never did any biology formally.

it was the first thing that came to mind

Amoeba102 posted:

And now I'm going to end up listening to TOOL.

did you hear they're working on a new album?

Amoeba102 posted:

This game has a pretty good player list, by the way.

yeah it's pretty solid, I'm eager to see it play out.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Just for that I'm going to eat a lot of pasta and take a nap.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
So I have good news and bad news! The good news is I was talking today about mafia with a friend (I never talk about this kind of stuff with people irl because I have shame and masquerade as a well-adjusted adult), and she seemed super interested in how there can be more to the game than just playing cards, so I am excited to show her this game as an example of its potential.

The bad news is something you all already knew and I mean I am disappointed in me a little but come on I'm still me, and I really perhaps shouldn't have opened a game a week before moving across the world but what can you do what's done is done such is life we are all dust in the wind.

I am doing a cram-sesh all night to get as much done as I can, and my social calendar for friday is totally empty so I will spend all then cramming too :toot:

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Between 4000 km and 6000 km from wherever I currently am to wherever I am going.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I said across the world! Technically if you walk a few feet you have gone across some of the world.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Alright I am going to get a warmup game ready for you guys, to tide you over until I eventually start the game.

Centuries ago, the Livireen was ruled by King Alvarez the Cruel. While the King's Assassins predate him by a dynasty or two, Alvarez gave them their reputation for ruthlessness. He ordered his assassins to roam the kingdom, cutting down anyone even suspected of harboring ill-will towards the throne. However, he made the biggest mistake a king like him could do - he tried to stiff the assassins of their just recompense for their hard work. The assassins revolted, and the king went into hiding in his own court, working with his closest allies to have the assassins stopped before the king lost his head.

A Minigame has begun:
:orks101: The Trial of King Alvarez the Cruel :orks101:

To participate, type ##play. It needs at least 3 players but can have as many as 21. Though I will begin the game once three players have joined up, players are free to join in whenever they like - the setup will adapt organically for each new player who participates.

Enjoy!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
A Game is Afoot!

:h: 4 alive, 3 votes to execute.

Current player list:
- Amoeba102
- AnonymousNarcotics
- imgay
- Somberbrero

Remember anyone who is signed up for Madriu can join any time by typing ##play!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Asiina has joined!

- Amoeba
- Anonnarco
- Asiina
- imgay
- Somber

Alright cool and break!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Hey I am going to focus on writing actual-game PMs and falling asleep; carrot: if someone is hammered, I am going to honor system that they post their flip themselves so night can go forward a little more quickly. Thanks :love:

And stick: if you do not post your correct flip when executed I will punish you in the main game.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
ugh. you guys suck.

Somber, Vanilla, king-aligned was executed day 1.
Night actions! Feel free to post at night.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Imgay, Doctor, king-aligned was killed night 1.

Day 2!
- Asiina
- Amoeba
- Anonarco

3 alive 2 to execute.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Remember that anyone signed up for Madriu can join at any time by typing ##play!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Night actions! :hehe:

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
...OR HAVE YOU??

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
The dead are asked to stay dead.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

quote:

EccoRaven wrote on Mar 20, 2015 04:10:
quick! what is the setup?

quote:

Amoeba102 wrote on Mar 20, 2015 00:12:
Asiina is a cult recruiter! haha

King Alvarez stands alone over the corpses of the fallen. He sheds a single tear over the loss of life, wondering why they would all want to betray him so.
Then the corpses stood up. They wipe off the fake blood around their necks and chests and smile at the King and his shocked expression.
Imgay gets right into the king's face and says just one word:
"Boo!"
The assassins then proceed to stab the king to death.

:gibs: Amoeba, King Alvarez the Cruel, Serial Killer, was endgamed.
:orks101: The assassins have won!

Congrats!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Standard Assassin PM:

quote:

Congrats! You are an assassin in the assassin's guild. You are seeking to eliminate the foolish King Alvarez for failing to pay his debts to the guild. He has gone into hiding in the court, and, it is a good thing he is an idiot, because you are a trained assassin and the king is wearing a stupid fake moustache. You know right away that the king is Amoeba102, and he needs to die. But, before that, he needs to suffer. To that effect, the guild of assassins has decided to give him a game to drive him mad.

GAME GIMMICKS:
- You know that everyone in the game (except for Amoeba) is a member of the Assassins. You may communicate with the other assassins freely OOT.
- You have a collective nightkill that is decided by the highest-alphabetically listed member of the game that isn't Amoeba (do the ABCs in your heads it is not difficult).
- You know that Amoeba has been told he is a serial killer with a nightkill. This is not actually true. Any kill he attempts to perform will fail without his knowledge of its failure.
- You know that Amoeba otherwise has no knowledge of the setup, and otherwise thinks he is in a normal game of mafia.
- You cannot vote to kill Amoeba. If he gains enough votes to be executed, he will win the game and all the assassins will lose.
- You cannot nightkill Amoeba. If he is selected as a nightkill, he will win the game and all the assassins will lose.
- When an assassin is nightkilled or executed, that assassin may choose ANY ONE OF THREE FLIPS for themselves. The potential flips are:
1) Assassin, mafia-aligned
2) Vanilla, king-aligned
3) Doctor, king-aligned
- When an assassin is voted out, the assassin is encouraged to post their own flip (which, again, must be one of the three above). When an assassin is nightkilled, I will ask that player to PM me what flip they want posted for themselves.

The assassins win the game if Amoeba is the last one standing and he still has not guessed the setup. Amoeba wins if he successfully figures out that none of this is real. Note though that I will PM Amoeba after the final vote/kill is made and ask him what he thinks the setup is, so, don't just turbo yourselves each day. Make it count!

Good luck!

King PM:

quote:

You are King Alvarez the Cruel! You have been targeted for death by your own assassins - how offensive. Your allies in the court have rallied to you defense, but, even they can't be trusted. You've had your strongest blacksmiths and mages craft a magickal artifact designed to ensure your safety and bring the downfall of your enemies: a golden ring. Wearing the ring, you are protected from all harm by turning invisible, becoming nothing more than a breeze in the wind. But, more than that, when you touch someone while invisible, you cause their soul to become rent from their bodies, killing them instantly. You know what you must do. First you killed your smiths and mages, to make sure the power of this ring never leaves your hands. Now you're sitting in your own throne room, disguised as a common peasant, ready to do the only thing that can truly keep you safe: murdering everyone else.

You are a serial killer! You win when you are the last remaining player in the game. You are bulletproof, and you can perform a kill at night. This kill can be blocked by the usual means, such as doctor protections, but you are immune to being tracked, watched, or roleblocked.

Good luck!

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Mar 21, 2015

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Indeed! I wish more people had been around to join in, though; I was hoping it would give me a little bit more time to finish PMs before you all rioted, but alas, this past hour has essentially been wasted.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Working on it!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Hooray! Everyone should have their role PMs; check your inboxes and emails. Thank you for being patient with me!

For reference, all the role PMs look something like this:

A Sample Role PM posted:

Player - Character Name - Flavor Title (alignment-aligned role)
Some stuff in italics. It is mostly flavor, like who you are, why you're here. Your motivation. Feel free to roleplay; I love it.
You are a townie! You seek to liberate your city and thwart the King's Assassins, and as such you win when all scum players are eliminated from the game. You have the normal town powers of posting and voting in the thread. / You are an assassin! You have been sent here to quell the rebellion in this town, and as such win when the scum have unassailable control over the vote or nothing can stop the same.
Additionally, here are some other powers that you might have, if any!
You are a role title and you are alignment-aligned.

Character names are generated randomly using various easy-to-find internet programs, as well as random Wikipedia articles and my own creativity.

Flips will look like this:

:s: Player Name, Character Name, Flavor Title (alignment-aligned role), died in a flavor-specific way. :s:

Example:

:s: Varinn, Ana de la Lorca, Leader (town-aligned ecco cop), was stabbed to death night 0. :s:

The game should be beginning shortly!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

The death of Ana left a huge hole in the hearts of the town. Ana recited poetry that helped inspire the town to "take off the shackles of Kings" and was elected by popular vote to be the leader until the revolution was complete and the King's armies were defeated. But even though she may be dead, her memory and message of love and redemption will forever live on. And the words of her poetry will be the last thing her murderers will hear as they swing from the gallows!

:s: Varinn, Ana de la Lorca, Leader (town-aligned ecco cop), was stabbed to death night 0. :s:

It is now, finally, Day 1.
:h: With 21 players alive it takes 11 votes to be executed.
:d: Day 1 deadline: Tuesday, March 24th, ~11PM EST.

Have at it.

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Hello dudes and dudette (sorry anonnarco), I have a very busy social calendar today, so I can't really answer any questions you may have about the game etc. until later, so just be patient!

I am going to wait out the weekend and come Monday morning if a player has not yet posted I will assume they died irl and will seek their replacement!

Okay and break!

• Locked thread