Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Titus Vespasian
Jan 31, 2015

"The body of a dead enemy always smells sweet."
Does such an MMO exist? I've seen a few soloable until endgame but then, other than perhaps a few 'dailies', nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
A better question is... why?

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
dark souls

Titus Vespasian
Jan 31, 2015

Mordiceius posted:

No, that's an old and silly question. You like apple pie? That's stupid!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Titus Vespasian posted:

I want to play a game focused on multiplayer activities, but I don't want to play with other people.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Ultima Online? Asheron's Call?

Snotty By Nature
Sep 11, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I want to play a game focused on multiplayer activities, but I don't want to play with other people.

World of Assburgers

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Life

:smith:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
http://www.havenandhearth.com/

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Wildstar better be soloable because I think you'd be the only one playing it

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

KittyEmpress posted:

Wildstar better be soloable because I think you'd be the only one playing it

:drat:

Did we ever get the postmortem on everything hosed up with carbine?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i claim this topic

Kuai
May 25, 2004
PSO series

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo
http://progressquest.com/play/

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Titus Vespasian posted:

Does such an MMO exist? I've seen a few soloable until endgame but then, other than perhaps a few 'dailies', nothing.

Haha pretty much all modern ones.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/

Titus Vespasian
Jan 31, 2015

Mordiceius posted:

OK, I'll answer your question. But first of all people seeking soloable mmo's are one of the most common question on game sites.

I like soloing for my own reasons so I'll stick with, why an mmo then. First, mmo's are usually much more vast than single player games. I pay $30-$50 for a single player game and finish it a week or two. Even crashing against all-raid endgame content in an mmo I get much more than that. Second, I still get in conversations in game and sometimes partner for short term goals which I enjoy. It's also more interesting to hear other people talk about the game and what they're doing in it and to compare how well I'm doing.

The biggest problem with this is someone always wants to tell me I'm playing the game wrong by not playing it the way they do.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Guild Wars 2 is built to solo. Their roaming PvE/WvW allows for silent cooperation without parties. You could go through the entire game without talking to anyone, if that was what you wanted.

There is no subscription, they even put it on sale now and then. Recently it was going for $10.

The forums here have two very active guilds, and a promising expansion is scheduled for later this year.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 15, 2015

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Titus Vespasian posted:

OK, I'll answer your question. But first of all people seeking soloable mmo's are one of the most common question on game sites.

I like soloing for my own reasons so I'll stick with, why an mmo then. First, mmo's are usually much more vast than single player games. I pay $30-$50 for a single player game and finish it a week or two. Even crashing against all-raid endgame content in an mmo I get much more than that. Second, I still get in conversations in game and sometimes partner for short term goals which I enjoy. It's also more interesting to hear other people talk about the game and what they're doing in it and to compare how well I'm doing.

The biggest problem with this is someone always wants to tell me I'm playing the game wrong by not playing it the way they do.

Going to have to agree with Jackard, I spent the vast majority of my time getting several characters to max level and getting all the armor looks I wanted solo in Guild Wars 2. You'd need a team if you wanted to do dungeons for any of those particular armor sets (or just Player vs. Player for them), but everything else you can either solo or just join a blob of people already doing events in a zone without needing to party, plan or coordinate with them.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
You can solo pretty much everything in Warframe although it's a bit more difficult. The maps are randomly generated and there's a handful of tilesets so it's probably not what you're looking for. Fun game though.

WoW has an obscene amount of content. You can't solo the very hardest mode of the current endgame, but there is even an automated raid finder. And there's countless old endgame content. On the solo spectrum, there are a ton of things to farm for, explore, and do. Especially if you make achievements your endgame.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Mar 15, 2015

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Titus Vespasian posted:

Well then the bigger question is: What are you coming to a game for?

In my mind, MMOs are for two things - repetitive grinds and completing cooperative and/or competitive tasks with others.

You don't want to play with other people, so that's out. So are you only in it for the repetitive tasks?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Final Fantasy 14's main quest is pretty solo except for dungeons and it keeps going well past the level cap. The story quests after level 50 are probably longer than the pre-50 story at this point.

Eonwe posted:

i claim this topic

Why would you want it?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Hexel posted:

Haha pretty much all modern ones.

Seriously, has this thread warped back to 2005 or something?

Big draws for me are exploration, and playing paper dolls. If I want a new experience I can adventure in an unfamiliar zone or roll on a different faction or whatever. Most single player games simply aren't built to the same scale.

I play at weird hours and periods, so old-school party to survive games are non-starters. What I really appreciate are dynamic events and group quests that you don't need to beg an invitation for, everyone just shouts at each other in /local or /zone.

Solo-friendly games? Most of them these days, honestly. Star Trek Online is soloable pretty much straight through, but endgame is just a loving slog and the game itself is in pretty dire straits. The Secret World definitely is as well, and Guild Wars 2 has been mentioned more than once.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Titus Vespasian posted:

Well I mean, strictly speaking you are wrong insofar as the vast majority of MMOs are not, and cannot be, designed for this set of sensibilities. Raiding, for example, is basically completely incompatible with what you're looking for :shrug:

Sometimes that square peg and that round hole just don't work out man.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Dungeon Fighter Online goes into beta on the 24th and it has halfway between street fighter and streets of rage gameplay with a mmo level of content and progression. You can solo a lot of it too

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009
Too many people watching MMORPG-based animes and they want that feeling of being the main character in a multiplayer world that revolves around them, but guess what, there can only be one main character, and that ain't you.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Runescape is almost entirely soloable, and the quests are actually pretty interesting. You'll need to interact with other players to some extent for economy and I think a small handful of quests, but otherwise you can put a thousand hours into that game and still not even be close to done doing all of the solo content.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Titus Vespasian posted:

Does anyone know any pies that I can have the smell of described to me through a SMS messenger?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Yeah, GW2 is going to be your best bet. There's plenty people running around to make the world feel alive and the world events that pop up make for some interesting group action, and if you're solo there's jumping puzzles and the like for you to do outside the basic gameplay loop.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Vindictus soloable all through all raids if you have the gear skills I mean. It's the anti-social MMO but the bad part is that it's run by Nexon who hates you and me.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Final Fantasy 12

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

You can solo STO from beginning to max level, but don't play that game without Dental.

You could theoretically solo SWTOR if you skipped flashpoints and all heroic quests, but you'll be a bit tight on XP and missing out on some cool orange and purple gear that you'd get from the flashpoints.

But yeah you're setting yourself up to be bored as gently caress if you play an MMO single-player. At least with SWTOR you have the option of playing a decent storyline to keep you engaged (light side Imp Agent).

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
just play everquest with isboxer and pretend u r ur own friend like i do

"heh I got 5 friends bitche"s"

everquest is stil the best game for ignoring all forms of social itneraction and doing everything alone

I usually know how you feel

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Robo Reagan posted:

Final Fantasy 12

Kingdoms of Amalur

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Kingdoms of Amalur is actually a really good suggestion because it plays identically to a single-player MMO in that its so boring you'll want to gouge out your eyes. Some people really liked it though.

Literally everyone has a sidequest (Not worth doing) and a poo poo ton of lore to spout (Not worth listening to)

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Lord of the Rings Online made the bold move of kicking out all of its raiders to attract players like the OP. They lost a ton of players by doing so. If you love to grind solo, try that. Like someone mentioned about WoW, the game still has a ton of depth, so it might actually be what you're looking for.

Brave New World fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Mar 16, 2015

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
His original post is about soloing endgame content, and that I can't think of anything except maybe like EVE or something where endgame isn't about dungeons and raids.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
LotRO now has solo grind "endgame" based around reputation grinds and a weird RTS-like instance thing called Epic Battles. They turned what was arguably the best WoW Clone into a sad shell of its former self. But people like the OP might like it, because it was meant for soloers.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Titus, start with this one.

It is easily the most content and feature rich MMO that fits your criteria including end game activities. Go to the GW2 thread and read the OP and ask questions. Lots of friendly people in that thread.

Also, the game goes on sale periodically so if the box price is high for you then look out for a sale. It really is worth the full retail price though so don't feel as if you "need" to wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Learn the fine arts of autohotkey, keyclone, and other multiboxing disciplines.

They told me the MMORTS would never exist so I created it myself.

• Locked thread