Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!
Spring - Week 2

quote:

An old piece of machinery is discovered, broken but perhaps repairable. What is it? What would it be useful for?
Out by the wild hives an odd contraption is found, a stubby round blade poking out from a plastic casing. The blade is choked with rust; the casing is faded and cracked but relatively whole. There is as pull-cord on it that seems to do nothing. The elders think it may have been a saw of some sort but for now, it is just a curiosity from ages gone by.

Action - Start a Project: A trail must be blazed to the herbs in the east; paths cleared and markers set. The previous steward of the herbs, Emma, was killed in the fighting with the Jackals; her son Daniel selects a handful of volunteers and leads them off. His two decades of experience with that area make him a natural choice, but there are concerns about approaching the field from the west instead of the south. Mountain lions are always a possibility. And the Silent People are always watching.

Projects: Retrieve books from the old camp (2); Make a trail to the medicinal herbs (6)
Abundances: fishing nets
Scarcities: books, honey, medicine, metal
Contempt: UnCO3 (0), Everything Counts (0), Josef bugman (0), One Tall Fellow (0), Blurrymystr (0)

Everything Counts fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Both brothers should be punished: Sameal for his brash destruction, and Mezem for his impetuousness. Had he not been poking in the library without permission he and Sameal would not have had words to begin with.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Spring - Week 7

quote:

An old man confesses to past crimes and atrocities. What has he done?

Kalen--father of Melissa, grandfather of Samael, Mezem, and Tory--became uncharacteristically withdrawn after our settlement moved, and it only got worse after his two grandsons got into their fight. The morning it is discovered that Samael left with Godwina's group, he breaks down when hearing the news from Melissa. "It's all my fault, the whole damned thing," he tells her. "We only had to come here cuz I couldn't leave well enough alone." He tells her how he hadn't trusted the Council's decision to try and fight the Jackals, and had tried to negotiate a peace with them on his own. His failure and hubris instead gave them the opening they needed to enter the village and set it aflame.

It isn't long before a horrified Melissa tells the Council of Words.

Action - Hold A Discussion:

How shall we deal with Kalen's betrayal?

Projects: Make a trail to medicinal herbs (1), Digging out the start of 5 houses (2), Find the treasures of the mine (5)
Abundances: Fishing Nets
Scarcities: Honey, Medicine, Metal
Contempt: UnCO3 (0); Everything Counts (0); Josef bugman (1); One Tall Fellow (0); Blurrymystr (0)

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Send him back to the encampment; make him spend his days sifting through the ash until he's dead or recovered something useful.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Project Completed: Daniel's group returns from the east; they are tired and ragged, but have a bag of herbs and report that the trip is fairly easy-going. However, this new path to the fields comes close to the Silent People's encampment. Daniel says they could be seen in the distance, always watching, never approaching, never even moving. The group is spooked, and glad to be home.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

OOC: Ah, I didn't know we could alter the Resources that way. I think it might be an option for later; they might have enough for an emergency but they'll have to make at least one more trip to have a real supply?

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

This place is cursed. We can't stay here.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Spring -- Week 12

quote:

What important and basic tools does the community lack?
Much was lost after the war with the Jackals. We didn't have much in the way of sewing materials before but now we've almost nothing, and our clothing suffers for it. We also lack a good supply of woodworking tools; we're surrounded by lumber and can do little with it. Woodworking projects take longer simply because we have to share the few tools we have.

Action -- Discover Something New: For several days there have been plumes of smoke seen to the northwest, far in the distance, past where the children went. At first there were fears that wildfire might take the valley, but the smoke comes and goes on a regular schedule. That means something far more frightening: a camp of strangers.

Projects: Find the treasures of the mine (0); Build a temple around the Great Oak (0); Plant an orchard (2)
Abundances: Fishing Nets, Shelter
Scarcities: Honey, Medicine, Metal, Needles & Thread, Woodworking Tools
Contempt: UnCO3 (0); Everything Counts (0); Josef bugman (1); One Tall Fellow (0); Blurrymystr (0)

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Taking one Contempt.

Summer - Week 4

quote:

Outsiders arrive in the area. Why are they a threat? How are they vulnerable?

A shout of alarm goes up early one morning and a crowd gathers at the western watch post--and so it is that nearly a dozen people get the first glimpse of Him. They could just make Him out, standing stock-still in the morning fog, with a pack of the venom-dogs snarling and capering at his feet. He ignored all attempts at communication; then, without a word, he walked back into the forest and out of sight. The growls of the dogs can still be heard echoing through the trees, however.

The venom-dogs, usually solitary and aggressive, are clearly docile towards him and under his command. If that could somehow be disrupted they might fall upon each other, or retreat.

Action - Hold a Discussion: Samael's meddling has brought this adversary upon us. Rebelling is ruinous to our survival!

Projects: Search and Destroy (2); Stranger Danger Recon (0); Create Stone Tools (0); Harvest the medicinal herbs (0); Turn the community against the Council (1)
Abundances: Fishing Nets, Shelter, Faith, Fruit
Scarcities: Honey, Medicine, Metal, Needles & Thread, Woodworking Tools, Guns
Contempt: UnCO3 (1); Everything Counts (1); Josef Bugman (1); One Tall Fellow (1); Blurrymystr (0)

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Removing my Contempt.

Summer -- Week 9

quote:

Someone leaves the community. Who? What are they looking for?

With Silent People, scarred folk, and the man with the dogs all surrounding the village, Ashtun has made no secret of his constant fear. Even after the Silent People leave he's convinced that they will return to punish us for taking the baby. After the village misses the mass of fish he becomes convinced that following them would be to everyone's benefit. He brings it up to a few of his friends but gets no support; so instead of taking it to the Council he leaves in the middle of the night with some food, an axe, and a wolf pelt. Some of the trackers go after him the next day and find his footfall along the river, but don't recover him. Footsteps on the map to the east.

Action - Discover Something New: Two days after the Silent People leave with their babe, a handful of them reappear at the water's edge. After making sure they have been noticed, they cross the river and stop by the Storm Oak. An older woman stands apart from them and shakes a branch at the Storm Oak in a slow, ritualistic manner. After a few minutes of this she sees Ushar in the crowd of our people watching, and beckons him over. She presents the branch to him, coaches him through how to shake it properly, then claps him on the shoulder and leaves with her people. Whatever the branch is supposed to be--worn, bare of leaves, with old metal charms tied to it with leather strands--she leaves it with us.

Projects: Use the storm oak as new library (0); Raise an army (2); Scavenge metal from the forest (3)
Scarcities: Honey, Metal, Needles & Thread, Guns
Contempt: UnCO3 (0); Everything Counts (0); Josef Bugman (0); One Tall Fellow (1); Blurrymystr (0)

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

If we gloss over our failures it may as well not be written at all. What good will it do our children?

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Autumn -- Week 3

quote:

Someone sabotages a project, and the project fails. Who did this? Why?
Tory--older sister to Mezem, and inspired with a zeal like Samael's, quieter but no less fervent--gets into an argument with her brother in the aftermath of the great fire. Both of them maddened by grief and loss, they fight over what can possibly be done to heal the community. The conflict gets out of control and Tory, in an echo of her dead brother, takes Orenthal's early manuscript and throws it into the fire. Once the two siblings are pulled apart Tory realizes the enormity of her action, apologizing to Orenthal and offering to help him start again. But the old man is demoralized by the loss of his words and his compatriots and decides someone else will have to record their history.

Project -- Discover Something New: With many of the trees burned down, it doesn't take long for survivors of the fire to notice a building built about a half-mile from the settlement. We'd never noticed because of the shadows of the woods and our fears of the forest predators. But both are gone now, leaving us to wonder about this long, low building of brick and metal.

Projects: Find Sameal's murderer (1)
Scarcities: Honey, Needles & Thread, Guns, Wood
Contempt: UnCO3 (0); Everything Counts (0); Josef Bugman (0); One Tall Fellow (1); Blurrymystr (0)

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Send him to live among the Scarred men and try to heal their illness. If he dies, so be it. If he is untouched, so be it.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Autumn -- Week 8

quote:

A group goes out to explore the map more thoroughly and finds something that had been previously overlooked.

While on a trip to the herb fields, Daniel stumbles through a weakened patch of earth and discovers a small system of shallow caves. Within is a wondrous find: several beehives, many more than just the ones we had been using before. With careful cultivation honey should no longer be in short supply.

Action -- Start A Project: Lana says the time for talk is through. Her cadre begin working with the salvaged metal to fashion it into weapons to be used against the Scarred men.

Projects: Tory uncovers the branch's secrets (1); Building weapons (2)
[u[Scarcities:[/u] Needles & Thread, Guns, Wood

Everything Counts fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 4, 2015

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Same.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Complete a project: There's only so much that can be done without a furnace, but after a couple of weeks Lana's group has some repurposed hatchets, sawblades, and several ever-reliable nail-studded clubs.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Taking one Contempt because of Lana.
Autumn - Week 13

quote:

Harvest is here, and plentiful. Add an Abundance.

The recently discovered bees are fat and docile. Several jars are filled with honey and brought back to camp; even whole sections of honeycomb are cut out without any reaction from the bees.

Action - Discover Something New: With only one leg, Ashtun obviously isn't able to move around much, so he spends his time at the river manning the nets and keeping an eye out on things. Perhaps its this extra time spent here that allows him to notice a glint in the water. He and his friend Tash investigate, digging around in the silt, and find large chips and flecks of gold.

Projects: Drive out the diseased scarred folk (0)
Abundances: Fishing Nets, Shelter, Faith, Fruit, Honey
Scarcities: Needles & Thread, Guns, Wood
Contempt: UnCO3 (0); Everything Counts (1); Josef Bugman (0); One Tall Fellow (1); Blurrymystr (0)

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

We should run drills and sparring matches; let every citizen become an able defender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

This was pretty intense. Definitely a very unpredictable game in terms of outcome. I agree with BlurryMystr; having everyone in charge, simultaneously helping and hindering, led to some exciting gaming.

• Locked thread