Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

You're wrong, man. I'm going to fight you on this one.
Spring -- Week 5

quote:

Two of the community's younger members get into a fight. What provoked them?
Sameal caught his younger brother, Mezem, a boy of twelve, studying one of the books from the new library. Mezem seems a clear choice to join the Council of Words when he comes of age and he was delighted when the expedition to recover the books was successful.

Stern words between Sameal and Mezem led to shouting. Shouting led to fighting, and fighting led to Sameal throwing the book into the fire.

Action: Hold a Discussion

What should be done about Sameal's disruptive behavior?

Projects: Make a trail to medicinal herbs (3); Digging out the start of 5 Houses (4)
Abundances: Fishing Nets
Scarcities: Honey, Medicine, Metal
Contempt: UnCO3 (0); Everything Counts (0); Josef bugman (1); One Tall Fellow (0); Blurrymystr (0)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

Sameal has shown great disrespect for his family and for the Council's sacred duty. He should apologize to his brother and to the Council in front of the whole community and find a replacement for the book he destroyed.

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

What's done is done. Let his guilt be his punishment.

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

Spring -- Week 10

quote:

You see a bad omen. What is it?
We are used to waking up to the sound of the ravens that live in the Storm Oak croaking to one another and taking flight as they go in search of food. This morning, we awake to silence. The ravens lay scattered around the sacred tree and the partially constructed shrine walls. We find no wounds and see no signs of what could have killed them. It's as if they all simply dropped to the ground.

Action - Hold a Discussion: What does this terrible omen mean for our community?

Projects: Find the treasures of the mine (2); Build a temple around the Great Oak (2); Plant an orchard (4)
Abundances: Fishing Nets, Shelter
Scarcities: Honey, Medicine, Metal
Contempt: UnCO3 (0); Everything Counts (0); Josef bugman (1); One Tall Fellow (0); Blurrymystr (0)

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

Something terrible is coming. We must put aside our differences or we may all find ourselves as dead as the ravens.

OOC: If someone wouldn't mind putting a red dot on the map next to the dead ravens for me, I'd appreciate it; I'm on mobile and can't do it at the moment.

BlurryMystr fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Mar 22, 2015

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

Summer -- Week 2

quote:

Summer is fleeting. Discard the top two cards off the top of the deck and take two actions this week.

Action - Discover Something New: We found Kalen.

He had walked back to our old homestead. He found a good spot to sit under a tree where he could see the burned out ruins, and that's where we found him dead. He looked calm, as if he had finally forgiven himself for what had happened.

Action - Start a Project: Create stone tools.

We need tools to work the lumber that surrounds us. Metal would be better, but with so many of us away from home on various missions, we should not spread ourselves even thinner by sending out a scavenging party just yet. For now, let's make do with what we have and fashion some crude but functional tools from the larger stones that we can find in the river. We can even make a few spears while we're at it.

Projects: Search and Destroy (4); Stranger Danger Recon (1); Create Stone Tools (2)
Abundances: Fishing Nets, Shelter, Faith, Fruit
Scarcities: Honey, Medicine, Metal, Needles & Thread, Woodworking Tools, Guns
Contempt: UnCO3 (1); Everything Counts (0); Josef Bugman (1); One Tall Fellow (1); Blurrymystr (0)

BlurryMystr fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 23, 2015

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

Discussion: If we do not stand together, we will fall when the trials of winter are upon us. Dissent is no longer a luxury we can afford.

Project Completed: We have a few simple stone tools now that we can use to roughly shape wood. They may not last long or be as effective as our handful of metal tools, but it will tide us over until we have time to gather metal.

Projects: Search and Destroy (2); Turn the community against the Council (1)
Scarcities: Honey, Metal, Needles & Thread, Guns
Contempt: UnCO3 (1); Everything Counts (1); Josef Bugman (1); One Tall Fellow (1); Blurrymystr (0)

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

Summer -- Week 7

quote:

Predators and bad omens are afoot. What measures do you take to keep everyone safe and under surveillance?

Do not reduce project dice this week.
With a new Silent People encampment on our doorstep and an effort to overthrow the Scarred Ones underway, we are vulnerable. It's time to look after our own safety. First, we must be vigilant - we post guards with torches around the settlement at all times. Then we must be safe - no one is allowed outside after dark save for the Council and the guards. No one is to travel alone.

We will do whatever it takes to survive.

Action - Start a Project: Give back the Silent Child

It is clear why the Silent People grow bolder. They have come for the child, a baby boy. Elicia has grown attached to the quiet babe, but we must return him to his people. We must do this quickly. There is much to be done before winter comes and every strong lad we have on guard duty is a pair of strong hands that are not gathering food or supplies.

Projects: Search and Destroy (1); Use the storm oak as new library (2); Raise an army (4); Give back the Silent Child (1)
Contempt: UnCO3 (0); Everything Counts (1); Josef Bugman (0); One Tall Fellow (1); Blurrymystr (0)

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

Project Completed: One of the Council, an elder named Ushar, first proposed returning the Silent Child and as such has taken the responsibility of carrying it out. It takes a week but he convinces Elicia to give him the child. He leaves her sobbing and inconsolable. He has armed two guards with two of our working guns and with them at his side, he brings the Silent Child to the river. They cross the shallows and by the time they've made it to the other side, the Silent People have appeared out of the forest and surround them. A tall man with piercing blue eyes steps forward. Ushar also steps forward and offers the child to him. Without a word, the tall man takes the child gently into his arms. As one, the Silent People turn and walk back into the trees. Not one of them looks back.

Let us hope that this act will be the beginning of a peaceful relationship with the Silent People.

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

We must not forget our mistakes, but we should not dwell on them - let us focus on the future more than the past.

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

Autumn -- Week 1

quote:

The strongest among you dies. What caused the death?
Sameal is found dead in his bed. The manner of his death is the same as those killed by the venomous dogs, but no wound is found on his body. The venom must have been ingested, but how? It takes only moments for the news to spread through the community: someone has murdered Sameal.

Action - Start a Project: Barzil of the Council has launched an investigation into Sameal's death. While it could be that someone from outside the community - the stranger, perhaps - is responsible, the possibility that one of our own could have done this is too troubling to ignore.

Projects: Scavenge metal from the forest (0); Write the book of our history (5); Find Sameal's murderer (3)
Contempt: UnCO3 (0); Everything Counts (0); Josef Bugman (0); One Tall Fellow (1); Blurrymystr (0)

BlurryMystr fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 30, 2015

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

OOC: Oops, I've edited it in. It was 3 weeks, so you can add "Find Sameal's murderer (2)" to your post.

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

OOC: in the rules, project dice are reduced right after the card is drawn so all of that would happen before you even take an action.

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

Autumn -- Week 6

quote:

A project finishes early. Which one? Why?

During a meeting of the Council, Mezem surprises everyone by standing and confessing to killing his brother. He calmly states that he saw Sameal as a threat to the future of the community - his opposition to the Council was dangerous and his successful hunt had elevated him into a position where he could have done serious damage to the Council's efforts. He details how he dosed Sameal's food with venom he extracted from a fang he pulled from one of the skulls mounted on the side of the temple. He does not express any regret or remorse. He does not mention the fight between them all those months ago.

He submits himself to the Council's judgment, explaining that the expansion of Barzil's investigation was wasting time better spent rebuilding and preparing for winter.

Action - Hold a Discussion: Mezem must be cast out for this. We cannot abide a murderer among us.

Projects: Consecrate a new burial ground (1)
Scarcities: Honey, Needles & Thread, Guns, Wood
Contempt: UnCO3 (0); Everything Counts (0); Josef Bugman (0); One Tall Fellow (1); Blurrymystr (0)

BlurryMystr fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 2, 2015

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

Autumn -- Week 11

quote:

A project just isn't working out as expected.

Radically change the nature of this project (don't modify the project die). When it resolves, you'll be responsible for telling the community how it went.
Orenthal's party has yet to find any sign of the Silent Folk. Usually when we venture into the foothills on the other side of the river, we are bound to see at least one watching us, but so far they are either keeping their presence unknown, or they simply aren't there. We have never ventured this far into their territory, but Orenthal insists. The party presses on.

Action: Discover Something New - It is not noticed right away, but the enormous stone face carved into the mountains north of us has been defaced. A pair of deep, jagged grooves have been carved out of either cheek. There was no sign of anyone performing this task, which must have taken considerable coordination. It simply appeared overnight.

Projects: Locate the Silent People (2)
Scarcities: Needles & Thread, Guns, Wood

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

We must not look vulnerable. We should convert the venom dog skulls into something our sentries can wear to put fear in the hearts of those who would take what is ours.

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

Winter -- Week 3

quote:

A headstrong community member tries to take control of the community. How are they prevented from doing this?

Due to the conflict, project dice are not reduced this week.

Orenthal had been brooding since his trade expedition returned in failure. He has spent long hours sitting in the shade of the temple, starring at the scarred face of the man carved into the mountain. Then, one evening shortly after the sun had set, he starts screaming and ranting about how we can't stay here anymore, we have to leave before it's too late. We must find a new safe place to live or we will disappear like the Silent Folk, he cries. He grabs a torch from a sentry and tries to burn the temple down but he is quickly subdued.

Action - Start a Project: The old man's ravings are mostly disregarded, but some on the Council think back on the hardships that followed the destruction of our previous settlement. If the worst were to happen - if we were to be driven out again - it would be wise to have a plan in place. They dispatch a small team of three hunters to scout out potential new settlement locations. Hopefully it will be unnecessary.

Projects: Make needle and thread (1), Scout potential settlement location (4)
Abundances: Fishing Nets, Shelter, Faith, Fruit, Honey, Firewood
Scarcities: Needles & Thread, Guns
Contempt: UnCO3 (0); Everything Counts (1); Josef Bugman (0); One Tall Fellow (1); Blurrymystr (0)

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

This was my first time playing The Quiet Year so my initial thoughts are about the gameplay experience rather than the content of the game. This was very different from anything I've played before - there's something simultaneously scary and liberating about having such total power during your turn and such lack of power when it's someone else's turn. I really enjoyed it!

I think everyone came up with great stuff. There was a lot on the table - just look at that map, my god - for us to play with. As far as our little community... for a long time I felt like they weren't going to make it. But starting sometime in the Autumn, I changed my mind. If the Frost Shepards are as menacing as they sound, I think a few of them would have survived, enough to start over again somewhere else.

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

Agreed on all counts. The tension between the different factions within the community (young/old, Council/Storm Oak worshippers) was a great resource to draw upon because even though a lot of those differences were resolved, there's always something under the surface that can come bubbling up again later.

I made a concerted effort to add voices within the community who were trying to get everyone to prepare for winter and I love how little actually got done. It's a universal story - the voices of reason get drowned out by the voices of passion. When you think about pure survival, how important is building a temple around a tree? To some it's very important, but to others it's time that could have been spent fashioning tools or preserving food.

I want to thank you all for a great game! I am really glad that we managed to keep the tone of the game pretty consistent from beginning to end. And I am really really glad that we all seemed on the same page about playing the game "right" - as in, no one used their Discover Something New action to skirt around problems or resolve problems easily. So many complications!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

I especially liked the times when we had a project to create something that we needed and when the project was completed, it resolved along the lines of "well we don't NOT have this stuff anymore, but it's not like we have enough of it to do much with." It's tempting to resolve a project like that and declare that we've got an Abundance of that thing now, yay problem solved, but we pretty much resisted that temptation and I think the game benefited for it.

• Locked thread